Sign in to follow this  
BornToBattle

i9 9960X Feedback Request

Is anybody running Il2 and the i9 9960X chip? Looking for feedback.

I'm currently running my 4 year old i7 5930K which does "okay" with my GTX1080ti but thinking of doing an upgrade. Going from a 1080TI to the 2080 is a "meh" slight gain, but jumping from the i7 5930K to the new i9 series and seeing how everyone is saying IL2 seems to be more CPU bound, it's a fairly sizable jump...I think.

Thanks!

If you are only considering IL-2 or gaming generally a 9600k/9700k would probably give better performance for considerably lower price. 

Would this upgrade require a new MB? If so Z390 platform and associated CPUs would be better option. 

IL-2 is CPU limited more by single thread performance than by core count,  6 fast threads will  beat more slower threads. 

If you also do more video editing etc. which use programs that take advantage of large thread counts/hyperthreading then this is a different consideration. 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BornToBattle said:

Is anybody running Il2 and the i9 9960X chip? Looking for feedback.

I'm currently running my 4 year old i7 5930K which does "okay" with my GTX1080ti but thinking of doing an upgrade. Going from a 1080TI to the 2080 is a "meh" slight gain, but jumping from the i7 5930K to the new i9 series and seeing how everyone is saying IL2 seems to be more CPU bound, it's a fairly sizable jump...I think.

Thanks!

What is your use-case? If pancake monitor, what resolution and refresh rate? If VR, what headset? If pancake now, do you have any desire to upgrade to VR in the future?

VR is the most demanding use-case because of the extra geometry and render calls, and the fact that most headsets are 80, 90 or even 120hz. This gives the CPU very little time to do all the physics and geometry and shovel data into the GPU. For VR, I would recommend the 9600K as being the sweet spot in price-performance, coupled with (this is important) a 240 or 280mm liquid cooler, 3200mhz RAM, and a motherboard that supports decent overclocking. The extra performance you get from a 9700K or 9900K isn't worth the extra cash.

The CPU you listed is a 16 core monster! Is that some kind of drop-in replacement to your existing setup? Do you need the high core count for professional use? Even so, you can get an entire rig for less than the cost of that CPU, and likely achieve better single threaded performance, which is what IL2 needs. The 9960X isn't a "bad" chip for IL2, I would just suspect it's somewhat difficult to clock as highly as a 9600K, and single thread is what you want.

Having said that (excuse the stream of consciousness!) you may have bios options to run the 9960X at quite a high frequency with 6 cores active (the most IL2 needs) then a little less as more cores get active during professional use cases, ratcheting down to a tame overclock when all 16 cores are active.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Wow! Great stuff to ponder! Never ceases to amaze me.

Sorry...left out some major intel...I’m primarily using it with VR and the Rift S and flight sims rule it for me. Yeah, new CPU would also mean swapping out my MOBO as well and the prices on those things have gone through the roof. I would plan (for now) to keep everything else as is including my 1080ti graphics card as there isn’t (as far as I can tell) that much of a jump in relationship to money spent (more precisely, how much $ does it cost in FPS?).

I have a custom rig, built it back in the winter of 2014. It currently is as follows;

WINTER 2014 BUILD UPDATED 2017 and 2019                    

1. Corsair Graphite Series 780T Full Tower PC Case - Black (CC-9011063-WW) - amazon.com
  2. ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME, Extended ATX x99 Motherboard , LGA 2011-V3 Socket, DDR4 3300Mhz+(OC) - amazon.com
  3. Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W Desktop Processor BX80648I75930K - amazon.com
  4. Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4 2666MHz (PC4 2666) C15 memory kit for DDR4 Systems (CMD16GX4M4A2666C15) - amazon.com
  5. NEW Corsair Cooling Airflow 2 (Memory (RAM)) - amazon.com
  6. Deleted Corsair DRAM Accessories Airflow PRO LED Memory Activity and Temperature Monitor (Fan not included) (CMXAFPRO) - amazon.com
  7. Corsair Hydro Series H110 280 mm High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler - amazon.com
  8. Corsair Professional Series AX 1200 Watt Digital ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Platinum (AX1200i) - amazon.com
  9. Corsair Air Series AF120 LED Quiet Edition High Airflow Fan Twin Pack - Red (CO-9050016-RLED) - amazon.com
  10. Qty. 3 - Corsair Air Series AF140 LED Red Fan - 25.5dBA Sound Level, 66.4 CFM Airflow, 1,200 RPM Speed - CO-9050017-RLED - CO-9050017-RLED - Tiger Direct
  11. Air Series SP140 LED Red High Static Pressure 140mm Fan Twin Pack - Corsair
  12. Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - 2.5" Form Factor, SATA III 6 Gb/s, Up To 540 MB/s Read Speed, Up To 520 MB/s Write Speed, 7mm Thickness, Samsung 3-core MEX Controller - MZ-7TE500BW - Tiger Direct
  13. Added GeForce 1080ti graphics card
  14. Transfer 3 - 1TB bays to new rig
  15. Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5 Grams - amazon.com
  16. Replaced MonitorSamsung 42” 4K TV
  17. Windows 8.1-64 bit OS upgraded to Windows 10-64 bit OS, June 2016
  18. 18. Asus BC-12B1ST 12X SATA Blu-ray Combo Internal DVD+/-RW Drive (Black), Bulk - amazon.com
  19. 19. Rift S purchased May 2019

I REALLY appreciate the help here! I’m looking for horsepower as here as the sims outside IL2 use fortunately currently use old codings which really sucks. Hopefully the newer MSFS slated for release next year won’t, but I’m not holding out much hope as it’s slated for release on both the gaming Xbox One console and the PC...so I can imagine tossing the FM out the window in favor of arcade.

Thanks again gentlemen!

Edited by BornToBattle

Posted (edited)

9600k 6 cores, enough for 99% of sims for near/long term future at least until next upgrade cycle

Cheapest option and easier (and cheaper) to O/C all cores to +5ghz

Spend the saved money on highest quality MB and other componemts. 

Sell your previous MB/CPU/ram combo keep the rest

and get 16GB 3200 14 cas ram and best Z390 board you can afford and 9600k 

Any mid range Z390 board will have built in software to give 'one click overclock' if you are not familiar 

This should give decent improvement

However you can O/C your current system to 4.5 ghz which would help a bit as well (if you have not done this already) 

(and this of course is just my opinion) 

😎

Cheers, Dakpilot 

Edited by Dakpilot
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I don‘t think the i9 GPU will give you a lot more than you existing setup does. If you play on the monitor and not VR, I think the cost does not warrant some added FPS. It will not be a „game changer“.

Also (myself running an i9-7900X), you should know that when going many-core, there is a point of diminishing return for each new core added. This means that the workload to manage all those other cores increases past the maximum available on the respective core running this „fiber thread“.

You can see this well for instance in Prepar3D which runs on as many cores as you throw at it. It makes your current FPS drop as soon as those many worker threads are used. The core running the fiber thread will always be maxed out (with setting: unlimited FPS). When you hit „Pause“ and you are not moving, you see 100% load on the fiber core, nil on the other cores. Hit Pause and as soon as you are moving and autogen is active (plus all that moves other things in the sim), your FPS at once drops maybe 20% as soon as you strike that pause button. You see the fiber thread getting further overhead by organizing the autogen threads.

I‘d say currently fully OC’d 8 cores is probably the sweet spot that you can have for flight sims today. Every core beyond that will make OC more problematic and they will start eating into your FPS.

Better to wait till July 7th when the new ryzens launch. At the very least intel will probably drop prices by a bit.

If you need to upgrade, BoX is single threaded, so look for a good single thread performance. i7-9900K/ 9700K or i5 9600K  if you want to save a bit of cash.

Which is pretty much on par with the advice above.

Although I don't think your current system is that bad, it's not far of current high end.

The money needed to get you to i7-9900K and a 2080Ti is a huge amount for minimal performance increase. You will see an improvement, but for the money it'll cost you, I'd leave it a bit longer before updating.

On 6/15/2019 at 8:43 AM, BornToBattle said:

Wow! Great stuff to ponder! Never ceases to amaze me.

Sorry...left out some major intel...I’m primarily using it with VR and the Rift S and flight sims rule it for me. Yeah, new CPU would also mean swapping out my MOBO as well and the prices on those things have gone through the roof. I would plan (for now) to keep everything else as is including my 1080ti graphics card as there isn’t (as far as I can tell) that much of a jump in relationship to money spent (more precisely, how much $ does it cost in FPS?).

As DakPilot said, if it's only about VR and flight sims, just get the 9600K or 9700K and good components to allow overclocking. You said in another thread "never done that before" but honestly it's fairly easy and someone here can talk you through it. I don't know why you're looking at the CPUs that you are, or why you have the CPU you currently have. Those mega-multicore monsters are for professional, highly threaded workloads. It's just a waste of money for IL2.

If I were in your shoes, today, I would do this:

• Maybe wait for the new AMD chips. Not because you want one (single thread will be slower) but because Intel might drop prices. Or don't wait, since your current CPU is crippling your VR experience.
  • Buy a 9700K with a 280mm liquid cooler, and all the supporting stuff.
  • Overclock the snot out of the 9700K, enjoy 90 FPS in your Rift S
  • Wait until Valve Index is generally available and bug-free
  • Spend the savings from not getting a mega-multicore CPU on upgrading to a Valve Index, sell your Rift S. The extra FOV will be nicely immersive for simming.
  • Upvote 1

Wow. Thanks EVERYONE! I’ll just sort it all out and don’t think I’ll go the route as originally planned either.

Good stuff to digest!

Thanks so much again!