namhee2

Suggestions for Tank crew

Posted (edited)

1)new Skins( dark yellow) for german vehicles from 1943

This was until the army message (HM) No. 181 of 1943 prescribed a new coat of paint. Dark yellow (RAL 7028) was from now on the color that was to be used as camouflage paint in all theaters of war. Theoretically, all Wehrmacht vehicles should have been painted in the new color. But since the color itself was already the result of material scarcity and the troops at the front had to do other than repaint their equipment, the predecessor colors remained present until the end of the war. Incidentally, the new dark yellow (RAL 7028) was not identical to the sand yellow RAL 8000 of the Afrika Korps.

2) Crew outside

there is the possibility that the armored crew can be outside the fighting area outside, column rode in the open air and only with enemy contact, the gaps close. Or because order give gaps close?

3)Refueling and ammunnition from Tank

You could simulate refueling and ammunition of the tank with an "Opel truck ammunition" and an "Opel truck fuel", which is located very close to the tank. And while I'm at it: an "Opel truck workshop" auch.This accelerate the repair.

I think it should not be a big effort to do that.

Edited by namhee2
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Surely it has already been said but we need binoculars, functional smoke throwers, the zoom and the correct field of vision according to the vehicle model and according to their date, to be able to fight with the open hatches without having to be necessarily leaning and being able to choose how to lean out and if they put us radio to contact with the rest of the cars it would be really fantastic.

• Upvote 4

The last update did so much for my immersion, that I now spend almost as much time driving tanks in QMB as I do flying.

That being said, there are a lot of things that would enhance my experience further:

1. AI FOV limited and having your tank partly obscured giving you a chance to not be seen. 

2. Smoke grenades, of course depending on the first suggestion to make them actually work against AI.

3. AI crews actually bailing out of stricken tanks. Not just open vehicles.

4. Intercom chatter, selectable for those who don't wanna listen to it.

5. AI engaging at a bit longer distances. I feel that I can always snipe the AI from 800m without risking return fire at all.

6. AI with weaker guns aiming at the weak parts of your tank (tracks etc.) or trying to flank you, rather than shooting fruitlessly at your mantlet or frontal plate.

7. Binoculars and historical zoom settings on the scope for full real difficulty. 

8. Sliding sideways on a slope actually damaging track or suspension.

9. Rotating periscopes (where historically accurate)

10. The ability  to relocate crew (to let the bow gunner take over for a wounded/dead loader or the commander to replace the gunner etc.)

11. Full driver's controls including realistic gear shift, engine start up etc. 

12. Option for more realistic traverse/elevation controls instead of mouse aim. Including shifting between powered and manual.

13. At least some static infantry - manned trenches, fortified buildings, snipers.

14. Loading becoming progressively slower, as the ready rounds and the ones in easy-to-reach racks are expended - depending on internal tank layout.

15. The ability to ford smaller streams or bodies of water.

16. Improved squad AI, where AI team mates cover each other and use cover.

17. Commanders cupola-version for the T-34-43

Also: A couple things that would be awesome, but probably aren't realistic in this game:

1. Fully realized AI infantry that works in squads and cooperate with AFVs.

2. Fully animated loader, where you actually see him loading the gun - probably too hard to make look natural.

3. Realistic communication with artillery spotters to guide indirect fire with some of the mortar equipped vehicles.

4. AI being able to conduct proper ambushes and feigned retreats.

5. Mine fields

And then of course there are the vehicles I'd like to see as drivable (some are already in the game in some form) to flesh out the mid-1943 scenarios:

StuG III - a couple versions

Marder

Wespe

Su-76

Stuart M3 or M5

T-70

Panzer IV F

Churchill Mk. III

Assorted anti-aircraft vehicles

• Like 7
  • Upvote 7

A QMB (similar to the planes) where you can select the tanks to pit against each other.

• Upvote 6

37 minutes ago, BP_Lizard said:

A QMB (similar to the planes) where you can select the tanks to pit against each other.

Yes please. Don't know why I skipped such an obvious point. 

I would add to that folliage camo as a mod for some tanks giving us the ability to cover the tanka with some vegetation.

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
On 6/13/2019 at 11:22 PM, Finkeren said:

The last update did so much for my immersion, that I now spend almost as much time driving tanks in QMB as I do flying.

That being said, there are a lot of things that would enhance my experience further:

7. Binoculars and historical zoom settings on the scope for full real difficulty. 

10. The ability  to relocate crew (to let the bow gunner take over for a wounded/dead loader or the commander to replace the gunner etc.)

12. Option for more realistic traverse/elevation controls instead of mouse aim. Including shifting between powered and manual.

13. At least some static infantry - manned trenches, fortified buildings, snipers.

Also: A couple things that would be awesome, but probably aren't realistic in this game:

2. Fully animated loader, where you actually see him loading the gun - probably too hard to make look natural.

5. Mine fields

And then of course there are the vehicles I'd like to see as drivable (some are already in the game in some form) to flesh out the mid-1943 scenarios:

Marder

Wespe

Su-76

Stuart M3 or M5

T-70

Panzer IV F

Churchill Mk. III

3. I have seen my crew bailing out of my Tiger.

4. Only if it is not as irritating as in German planes

7. You already have binos, the pilot zoom axis. I am not a fan of real magnification sights, we have to aim at some pixels through a sight that lacks the resolution of a real scope-sight to an object that is on a smaller monitor (like mine) a lot less visible as on a big one. 

9. yes please

10. yes, this is a  must. I have been in the situation I forgot to pull my driver in side and he got shot, I could not move anymore.

11. yes please, this is high on my wish list

12. everything will be better as it is now. For me the most wished is joystick aiming.

13 As far as I know we already have it. If you shoot a car the drivers bail out, the artillery/antitank/AA have a crew walking around the canons.

2. We already have that, at least in the Tiger, i have not checked the rest (I play the Tiger 95% of the time)

5. No, only if we get minesweepers. 

A big yes on the other vehicles. I am a big stug G and jagdpanzer IV fan. Also for a serious AA like a wirbelwind

For the repair, amotrucks etc it would be fun to be able to switch between your tank and a support vehicle. So if the tank breaks a track, I spawn in a service truck and have to drive to my tank, they repair the track while I provide cover.  And with an ambulance and a medic we can heel or replace a crew member. And you then can switch between vehicles all the time so you can still defend the tank if needed and so I can choose between a faster repair but more risk or less risk but a longer downtime. But I think that will become to complicated.

My biggest wish is a totally separate set of tank controls and the possibility to save and load set-ups from in the game (like in War Thunder) And  for most I want to use my joystick to aim. 

Edited by pa4tim

Fully animated loader, where you actually see him loading the gun - probably too hard to make look natural.

Red Orchestra 2 and Steel Beasts did it, so i don't think it's that hard and did not look bad. Was not perfect since he always took ammo from the same place but it was still better than nothing :P

StuG III

I really don't get how this is not in the game :o: the most iconic tank  assault gun in ww2, the highest production number and if i remember correctly most kills as well (for germany).

At least some static infantry - manned trenches, fortified buildings, snipers.

I really hope they will menage to make infantry one day. At least this static one, stalingrad just feels so empty. IL-2 overall would need more infantry sitting in trenches, trucks etc.

43 minutes ago, pa4tim said:

5. No, only if we get minesweepers.

This is kind of stupid :blink:

What is the fun of a minefield if you can not do anything against. It makes a part of a map useless to play. If they are random put in the game so you do not know where they are it is the same as a RNG that kills your tank at a random place/time. If you can have an AI mine sweeper (the tank with the chain drum in front) you can order to drive in front of you it could be fun. T

Having AI that you can order to do things would enhance SP a lot. If I do a mission and I can order (by pointing on the map or so) where the AI from my platoon have to go and when not to fire or not go on (because they drown them self in water) etc that would give SP a lot more depth.

I must be wrong, I am 100% sure I saw a loader loading a gun but I just  tried, I see the shell going in the breach but nobody holds it. Did they remove it or am i loosing my mind...

It is also necessary the possibility that the heads of cars can make marks on the map, either informatively for themselves or for the rest of the team

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, pa4tim said:

What is the fun of a minefield if you can not do anything against. It makes a part of a map useless to play. If they are random put in the game so you do not know where they are it is the same as a RNG that kills your tank at a random place/time. If you can have an AI mine sweeper (the tank with the chain drum in front) you can order to drive in front of you it could be fun. T

Having AI that you can order to do things would enhance SP a lot. If I do a mission and I can order (by pointing on the map or so) where the AI from my platoon have to go and when not to fire or not go on (because they drown them self in water) etc that would give SP a lot more depth.

Well i thought it's a sim and not some arcade game where you need everything balanced and pretty. Minefields were big part of ground war and should be in the game. Especially with kursk being filled with them.

"Red Army combat engineers laid 503,663 anti-tank mines and 439,348 anti-personnel mines" " The minefields at Kursk achieved densities of 1,700 anti-personnel and 1,500 anti-tank mines per kilometre, about four times the density used in the defence of Moscow"

So lets just ignore it because you can't do anything about it? You think during battle there was guy running around in front of tank and stabbing ground with a knife to see if there is a mine? It was a valid tactic, they could not do anything about it and we won't be able to do anything in the sim as well. Bunch of tanks attacks village, they get into minefield. So they pull back and try to go around it. This is a whole point of simulating the ground combat. Whats the point of driving around with a tank and killing everything like in CoD. Maybe we should remove planes because you won't shoot them down with a tank.

I never heard about germans or russians using something like flail tank to clear minefields. And clearing them during battle seems quite impossible. If it was so easy no one would bother with mines. Also some minefields would simply be marked with a sign. Tho i would like to see both marked and unmarked.

1 hour ago, NETSCAPE said:

No Stug = No Buy

No Gore = No buy

Damn, that would be awesome to have gore in a tank :o:

Spoiler

ueZ0k.jpg

Spoiler

?imw=1024&imh=576&ima=fit&impolicy=Lette

Edited by InProgress
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You are right about what you wrote but I did not talk about countries or balance.  (I have no clue what CoD is)

I do not care about balance, (I only play SP and I like missions with a purpose, not 15 vs 15 kill'm all) Germany had no flails but they placed the most mines. The practical point is that the Germans should know where their own minefieds are, so it only bothers the Russians and if that is how it was in real, it is good in a sim (but only if you move/spawn your troops 100% as it was in 40-45 on that location).  

(but to be 100% correct, the Germans used a minesweeper at the end of the war, it was a group of German POWs who had to clean their own made minefields, (on you tube, title: Panzer Unit Still Serving After German Defeat - Denmark 1945 a video by mark Felton Productions)

I like the tanks controls to be realistic, the tanks performance must be realistic, the enemy tank types it meets must be time-correct and the map realistic. But I do not care about playing the exact historical correct battles  because it would be very boring if you know upfront you are gonna loose because at that day, on that location your Tiger and crew shot 3 time and then got killed in a minefield, that is, if there was a Tiger on that location. They did not have that much Tigers. That would limit things a bit to much for me.  I think it could be fun to do a mission exact like it was back then, even if you know when, where and how you got killed. But that would be impossible to do . However it could be fun to make scripted videos to show famous battles. 

But if you like to go that far, you should also think about things like frozen track wheels,  engines that won't start because of the cold, engines/transmissions breaking down, crew that crash a tank because they are over tired, lack of fuel and amo, sick crew man, etc, all very realistic but I have it rather a little bit less realistic if all those things happen and I can do nothing to solve it. You spawn in your tank, the thing does not start if you push the button and then ? Wait in the tank until it gets summer, or someone brings you fuel,  someone breaks the ice between the wheels ............. 😉

When I talk about not been able to do something against it, I mean that it limits the play and the play field. It is a bit like when you make a river on the map, to deep to wade and no bridges. Very realistic. And fun too if you have an engineering platoon. But without that the whole map on the other side becomes unplayable.  It adds nothing to the "game" 

But I think it could be a very nice thing for player/IL-2 made missions. Then the location also makes sense because you define the playfield and frontline and/or can  use it to "force" the players in the historical "right" direction. If they were placed random a tank could get killed by his own minefield behind his own lines because nobody knows its there, and if they have fixed locations it is like the river, after a few plays you know where they are and do not use that part of the map anymore. 

4 minutes ago, pa4tim said:

The practical point is that the Germans should know where their own minefieds are, so it only bothers the Russians and if that is how it was in real,

They did not and it was not. Russians were stealing german mines so germans stopped marking them on map and with signs. Because of this, sometimes germans were hit by their own mines.

There will be no career mode for tanks, only scripted missions (probably with some small randomness) but after you played it 3-4 times. It will always be the same, same missions, same tasks. And this is whole point of them:

image.png.213a59cf201b9289c68a9565cdc89c2a.png

I am sure people will be able to make their own campaigns in editor and they don't have to be historical.

11 minutes ago, pa4tim said:

But if you like to go that far, you should also think about things like frozen track wheels,  engines that won't start because of the cold, engines/transmissions breaking down, crew that crash a tank because they are over tired, lack of fuel and amo, sick crew man, etc, all very realistic but I have it rather a little bit less realistic if all those things happen and I can do nothing to solve it. You spawn in your tank, the thing does not start if you push the button and then ? Wait in the tank until it gets summer, or someone brings you fuel,  someone breaks the ice between the wheels

And it would be great. Diffrent people diffrent tastes. I don't expect from games to shove action into me all the time. I actually like something diffrent. There is game called mudrunner where you drive some old trucks somewhere in russia. Game simulates mud, water, slopes etc. the whole point in there is just to drive and enjoy some challange of overcoming hard terrarian. And it's fun. If devs would add 1st person unloading of ju52 cargo, i would run around with cargo carrying it from the plane to the warehouse.

16 minutes ago, pa4tim said:

When I talk about not been able to do something against it, I mean that it limits the play and the play field. It is a bit like when you make a river on the map, to deep to wade and no bridges. Very realistic. And fun too if you have an engineering platoon. But without that the whole map on the other side becomes unplayable

Well you won't be able to drive a tank into kuban mountains. Should you get engineers to build there a road so you can drive tank to the top of the mountains because otherwise it limits your map? Forests will stop your tank, rivers will stop it, anti tank traps will stop it, bigger hills will stop it, no reason not to have mines that will stop you as well.

Whole point of historical campaigns that we will get with tank crews is to show it in a historical way and mines in that numbers are pretty much must have. I am sure user made missions will make everyone happy and there will be big choice of diffrent types of missions.

4 minutes ago, InProgress said:

There is game called mudrunner where you drive some old trucks somewhere in russia.

I made one of the first user maps for Spintires. I used to talk to the creator Pavlov too, super nice guy. 

I'm waiting for a game where I can drive an Opel in a supply column lol. 

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, NETSCAPE said:

I made one of the first user maps for Spintires. I used to talk to the creator Pavlov too, super nice guy. 

I'm waiting for a game where I can drive an Opel in a supply column lol. 

Yeah always wanted that too 😜 this game has huge potential. If only that dev would do some world war 2 style game where you drive in snow, mud with classic ww2 vehicles and delivier supplies and soldiers. I bet it would be top seller. Now i am hoping for at least opel as a mod for mudrunner but there is only Zis5 😕

The main problem in original game, all you could do was collect some wood. Game really needs some more stuff. Heard there is mudrunner 2 in production so maybe new stuff will come

Edited by InProgress

Posted (edited)

They did not and it was not. Russians were stealing german mines so germans stopped marking them on map and with signs. Because of this, sometimes germans were hit by their own mines.

They did. You write it yourself, because otherwise they can not stop doing that. And they stopped only at some point on some locations and not every-where, all time during the whole war. That is why I wrote: the should know.  But lets not battle on semantics and generalizations and how historical correct you or I want this game to be. I like your ideas for minefield but only for missions,  you want to pave the whole TC map with mines. (this topic is about TC, not Kuban)

So I know your opinion, you know mine.

I have TC so I care how much playable map I get  😉 And yes, tanks can not climb certain mountains, tanks can not swim and can not fly but this is not very important for  the TC map, that map has no mountains or sea. The tank map you get if you buy TC (at this time) is already rather small so I would not like to see minefields in the tank part of the TC map, making it even smaller. And you disagree. (do you have TC ? )

I never played mudrunner but I did a lot of the real stuff in some LandRovers, for most in a series 2A and a 101FC 

Edited by pa4tim

Posted (edited)

From the mission building aspect I'd like to see AT weapon groups, with a cluster of maybe 3 to 4 men, one holding an AT weapon to be used to augment the current battlefield.  I'd also like to see some camo options for gun emplacements in woodlines/fields, to be used for tanks, artillery and AT handheld positions.  The Russians in particular were very skilled in hiding their positions whereas currently we have very bright contrasting emplacements that might as well be painted orange.  This map is open range in many areas, and without some attempt to hide defensive positions it really takes away from the gameplay.  The shading/shadow effect for equipment placed in the treeline gives a false sense of security.  During placement in a nice darken woodline, you'd think you'd be somewhat hidden, but in reality.....you stick out as a shiny blob in what should be a safe place.  Mr. Tiger knocks that thing out at 1200 meters.....before you ever start firing.....

So...the map is what we have, but I'd like to see some MB building groups to help offset the limitations the map displays in recreating a realistic battlefield, many times to the detriment of the Russian forces.....

Oh, and I like the minefield idea, especially if it kills anyone who runs over it...including who laid it.  :)  Mission builders are not going to abuse this because the art is in recreating the battlefield and not laying down unrealistic carpets of mines that hinder any sort of movement.  For our group we want to channel the action into a specific mission objective anyways....that way you place your assets in the best spot and ignore distant flanks that just suck up resources.  

Edited by SCG_Neun

First thing I noticed about this sim. HOW AWKWARD ARE THE CONTROLS?!?!?!?! Couldn't it be just something simpler and more traditional of the sorts of Steel Beasts? Cmon...

1 hour ago, stormridersp said:

First thing I noticed about this sim. HOW AWKWARD ARE THE CONTROLS?!?!?!?! Couldn't it be just something simpler and more traditional of the sorts of Steel Beasts? Cmon...

Look at it this way, it can only get better.

• Haha 1

1) Fix the invisible trees

2) Fix the invisible trees

3) Fix the invisible trees

10) Fix the frantic mouse in periscope sight in the T34

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I think I met a few in a SP user made tank mission . There was nothing to see but I could not drive forward. 

The same happens with the small wooden amo boxes. If you drive over one your tank is stopped and can not go in any direction because the tracks are above the ground. 

On others maps as the TC map I noticed that a tank can not drive over a bush. And I think it can not break trees but I did not tests with it because I do not find it a big problem. I am new so no clue if they "fix" these things. But looking at TC now and seeing videos from the introduction I think they are pretty serious in developing. I do not have the same feeling as I have with other, more arcade, F2P tank games that all they are doing is making things boring by balancing the crap out of things and "force" you to spend money (I get it, they need income too)  The strange thing is that IL-2 must have it from players buying modules and that is a more or less a one-time deal. But they seem to care much more about their players as some free to play tank games. 

I also had a strange thing in a user made mission. Our tanks drove over the water like sort of Jesus-tanks next to the bridge without drowning. The bridge was blocked by an AI tank that did not want to move so I drove of the bridge to go also over the water but I drowned intimidatingly. 

At first I only played on the TC map but now also quick missions on other maps and there are some winter-maps "forests" (I think it was on Kuban) that are very, very beautiful. It was around dawn, a low sun coloring everything magnificent. I drove around doing nothing but sightseeing until it got to dark (and my headlights seemed to be killed in action)  

What I really would like to see, not only for TC is a good (up to date) user manual/wiki explaining things like how to set up controls, what the game modes are (I still have no clue what the difference is between all the campaigns, missions and career. I used to think it was a one time thing and if you are killed it is definitely over, so I spared them for later to do them if I hopefully am better.

But it turns out you can do them over, for what I have seen on youtube the missions are every time completely different. If so I am very happy. Only played a mission where a Tiger must clear a train crossing and that is every time the same.

Last week I found some user made tank and plane mission (from veteran I think). I was killed in one after running into a huge number of tanks but liked it very much so I started again. This time it was completely different. That makes TC in SP a lot more interesting. 

I hope IL-2 also makes this sort of career and campaigns for TC. 

This sort of lack of info had hold me back a while to buy the game and if I not had seen a video that told something more about SP,  I would not have bought it at all because I am only interested in SP and I thought it was some kind of boring mode only made to test things or do some practicing while MP was the main thing. Turns out it is far from boring and not everybody plays MP. I have no clue yet about what MP is other then that you must be some kind of ace to play and you are not really welcome in a Tiger... (I love my Tiger, I am not very much in to Russian tanks so it is Pz III or Sherman or Tiger, for me an easy decision. For most I wait for the Pz IV and I hope we will some day get a Stug or my favorite TDs, the JP IV and jagd-panther. If not I still am happy.

For most I hope they sort out the controls first and make them a separate set,  optimized for tanks. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, pa4tim said:

I think I met a few in a SP user made tank mission . There was nothing to see but I could not drive forward. 

The same happens with the small wooden amo boxes. If you drive over one your tank is stopped and can not go in any direction because the tracks are above the ground. 

On others maps as the TC map I noticed that a tank can not drive over a bush. And I think it can not break trees but I did not tests with it because I do not find it a big problem. I am new so no clue if they "fix" these things. But looking at TC now and seeing videos from the introduction I think they are pretty serious in developing. I do not have the same feeling as I have with other, more arcade, F2P tank games that all they are doing is making things boring by balancing the crap out of things and "force" you to spend money (I get it, they need income too)  The strange thing is that IL-2 must have it from players buying modules and that is a more or less a one-time deal. But they seem to care much more about their players as some free to play tank games. 

I also had a strange thing in a user made mission. Our tanks drove over the water like sort of Jesus-tanks next to the bridge without drowning. The bridge was blocked by an AI tank that did not want to move so I drove of the bridge to go also over the water but I drowned intimidatingly. 

At first I only played on the TC map but now also quick missions on other maps and there are some winter-maps "forests" (I think it was on Kuban) that are very, very beautiful. It was around dawn, a low sun coloring everything magnificent. I drove around doing nothing but sightseeing until it got to dark (and my headlights seemed to be killed in action)  

What I really would like to see, not only for TC is a good (up to date) user manual/wiki explaining things like how to set up controls, what the game modes are (I still have no clue what the difference is between all the campaigns, missions and career. I used to think it was a one time thing and if you are killed it is definitely over, so I spared them for later to do them if I hopefully am better.

But it turns out you can do them over, for what I have seen on youtube the missions are every time completely different. If so I am very happy. Only played a mission where a Tiger must clear a train crossing and that is every time the same.

Last week I found some user made tank and plane mission (from veteran I think). I was killed in one after running into a huge number of tanks but liked it very much so I started again. This time it was completely different. That makes TC in SP a lot more interesting. 

I hope IL-2 also makes this sort of career and campaigns for TC. 

This sort of lack of info had hold me back a while to buy the game and if I not had seen a video that told something more about SP,  I would not have bought it at all because I am only interested in SP and I thought it was some kind of boring mode only made to test things or do some practicing while MP was the main thing. Turns out it is far from boring and not everybody plays MP. I have no clue yet about what MP is other then that you must be some kind of ace to play and you are not really welcome in a Tiger... (I love my Tiger, I am not very much in to Russian tanks so it is Pz III or Sherman or Tiger, for me an easy decision. For most I wait for the Pz IV and I hope we will some day get a Stug or my favorite TDs, the JP IV and jagd-panther. If not I still am happy.

For most I hope they sort out the controls first and make them a separate set,  optimized for tanks. 

I tried MP. Right now, TC is just cheap meat for the planes. One of the missions I played, I was obviously the only tank around, and had to move to an area of the map where I was supposed to capture the flag and possibly shoot at something. But to go there, I had to cross several open terrain locations with several planes preying on top. My life expectancy on the server was about no more than 5 minutes, sometimes I didnt last not even enough to turn the engine on cause planes were already buzzing on top of the spawn area. Very bad.

Hmm, sounds like the spawn-sniping and spawn carpet bombing I know and do not like from an other tank/plane game. One time, from the 16 players, only 3 where in tanks trying to capturing 3 flags, 3 where spawnsniping from the start and the rest was in planes. I bailed out, that was no fun.

Posted (edited)
On 6/13/2019 at 6:22 PM, Finkeren said:

1. AI FOV limited and having your tank partly obscured giving you a chance to not be seen. 

2. Smoke grenades, of course depending on the first suggestion to make them actually work against AI.

5. AI engaging at a bit longer distances. I feel that I can always snipe the AI from 800m without risking return fire at all.

6. AI with weaker guns aiming at the weak parts of your tank (tracks etc.) or trying to flank you, rather than shooting fruitlessly at your mantlet or frontal plate.

8. Sliding sideways on a slope actually damaging track or suspension.

14. Loading becoming progressively slower, as the ready rounds and the ones in easy-to-reach racks are expended - depending on internal tank layout.

15. The ability to ford smaller streams or bodies of water.

16. Improved squad AI, where AI team mates cover each other and use cover.

17. Commanders cupola-version for the T-34-43

1. Fully realized AI infantry that works in squads and cooperate with AFVs.

3. Realistic communication with artillery spotters to guide indirect fire with some of the mortar equipped vehicles.

4. AI being able to conduct proper ambushes and feigned retreats.

5. Mine fields

Marder

Wespe

Su-76

Stuart M3 or M5

T-70

Panzer IV F

Churchill Mk. III

All good points and i agree, will just add one thing, i would like to see when the crew repair the tank (like they get out and do something) and I would like to be able to look around and not be frozen to one view point.

On 6/24/2019 at 8:00 AM, pa4tim said:

Hmm, sounds like the spawn-sniping and spawn carpet bombing I know and do not like from an other tank/plane game. One time, from the 16 players, only 3 where in tanks trying to capturing 3 flags, 3 where spawnsniping from the start and the rest was in planes. I bailed out, that was no fun.

The problem is how the map is made, spawn point should not be close to a flag.

On 6/24/2019 at 7:54 AM, stormridersp said:

I tried MP. Right now, TC is just cheap meat for the planes. One of the missions I played, I was obviously the only tank around, and had to move to an area of the map where I was supposed to capture the flag and possibly shoot at something. But to go there, I had to cross several open terrain locations with several planes preying on top. My life expectancy on the server was about no more than 5 minutes, sometimes I didnt last not even enough to turn the engine on cause planes were already buzzing on top of the spawn area. Very bad.

The design of the map is the issue here, if you need to drive for 20 minutes to get to the action it's not going to work or be fun if the mission is on a time limit. It works for planes but not for tanks.

Edited by Slater

On 6/21/2019 at 3:33 AM, stupor-mundi said:

1) Fix the invisible trees

2) Fix the invisible trees

3) Fix the invisible trees

10) Fix the frantic mouse in periscope sight in the T34

Yes, invisible barrier is big problem, impact often damages the engine.

On 6/18/2019 at 4:48 PM, NETSCAPE said:

No Stug = No Buy

No Gore = No buy

No IS-2mod 44 = No buy

No rammstein in german tanks = no buy

;)

Posted (edited)

I will vote for the Voice acting messages that will replace info given by HUD. You will get almost all info from the crew members by voice.

Crew "intercom" and radio between tanks or even platoons maybe (depends on how large the TC will be regarding tactics, units cooperation, troops,
"off-map" artillery etc.)

In some tanks there were some radio issues or there was too noisy to speak intercom and there was some kind of gestures and stamping on shoulders language but IMO voice acting will be a good compromise.

Hard too tell how the final gameplay balance will look like. It will be based on fast clash, tank duels wiht no infantry cooperation etc. Something like "other popular" games but with tank interiors? On the other hand it's hard to imagine "realistic" simulation with preparing defences lines and players waiting 3 hours hidden in bushes to ambush enemy attack.

Implementing voice acting and communication that allows you to turn off all hightec HUD guides infographics etc. Recorded voice tracks in Russian, German and universal English and optional subtitles with on\off toggle. And mix this AI with multiplayer communication between "live" players it's a Hard task.

It will tend players to learn proper order of comms and will enlarge some chaos of battle effect. Morale changes, panic, euphory etc.
Even receiving info about Your status and location will be a difficult task maybe even too difficult and boring for some.

Imagine Intercom voice reports on
-asking questions on gun, engine,tank ammo status
-giving orders to crew members
-spotted units
-tank Damage reports.
-info about damage to enemy units (in WW2 it was hard to judge the Tank is knock out or not, tanks not always explode)
-direction/range to designated areas, designated points, direction to enemy
-info about turret traverse
-loaded ammo, ammo availability

Platoon radio communication
-reports from other units/tanks within platoon
-reports form higher command if any..
-etc.

Edited by Piekarz

A lot of radio communication in WW2 was through CW (morse)

But I know more about the working of the radios as about how they were used.  10 years or so ago I restored several militairy radios (I am a HAM) like a T1154 R1155 radioset (used in WW2 bombers), I used to have a Racal navy set (transmitter, RL17 receiver, SSB unit, filter, etc), a real WW2 used USA collins receiver and a 101 airplane "homing"-receiver with the rotating fishbowl antenna. But I gave most away to friends because I had not enough space (or to much electronics measurement and calibration gear) I have a website with my collection, there are also some pictures of the radios on it www.pa4tim.nl for those interested in electronics and radio)

8 hours ago, pa4tim said:

A lot of radio communication in WW2 was through CW (morse)

But not in tanks. I doubt they even had equipment for doing that. Radio com in tanks was all about fast communication on pretty short distances. CW is more for larger distances like in planes and ships where the loss in communication in radio chatter might be to much through the large distances.

Have been trying out  the multiplayer servers some.  At this point in time,  AC  by far outnumber tanks on the servers every time I have been online.    If the tank spawn is not camped by Attack AC,  there is one item that  would help out  alot imho.....    Eliminate the  10 foot long tracer from Tank Main Gun  rounds.  In fact, give players the ability to not have any tracer rounds at all.  This would make it  harder for the roaming attack AC.  Now  it's a road sign where to go.

Did tank main gun rounds  actually fire as a tracer ?   I don't know the answer but any video I have ever seen I have never actually seen one.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Yogiflight said:

But not in tanks. I doubt they even had equipment for doing that. Radio com in tanks was all about fast communication on pretty short distances. CW is more for larger distances like in planes and ships where the loss in communication in radio chatter might be to much through the large distances.

Regarding tanks, I only know the WS-19. (They modeled one in the Sherman) This uses a VHF band to communicate with other tanks but I can not remember the mode.   The HF bands could do only 3 modes: 2 types of CW and AM. CW (the non modulated one) has an advantage if it comes to range. Every keystroke gives full power carrier, while in AM you waist a lot of power (50%) in the carrier and in the "extra" sideband.  The HF bands require a very long horizontal antenna to be effective for long range (like 100's of kilometers and very long antenna as in 1/2 a wave length and mounted as high as possible) The vertical tank antennes limited the range to 10's of km

Edited by pa4tim

13 minutes ago, pa4tim said:

The vertical tank antennes limited the range to 10's of km

This is about what you need in tanks. The first who surely had morse is the battalions/regiments commander, besides telephone connection. Up to company there surely was only spoken radio com.

1 hour ago, sdm109rm said:

Did tank main gun rounds  actually fire as a tracer ?   I don't know the answer but any video I have ever seen I have never actually seen one.

Yes AP rounds definitely had tracer. You need it to see where you are shooting. You must not forget IRL there was usually not only you fighting with enemy tanks, but your platoon and other platoons of your company or a neighbor company. Without tracer you would not be able to say which explosion was from your round, so it is hard to correct your aiming, when there are a dozen explosion between the enemy tanks. But even when you are alone, it is much easier. IRL it was less the tracer, but the smoke an dust in front of the gun's muzzle, that showed the enemy where the gun/tank was, as they usually where hard to see in their disguised positions.

From what I read german tanks were usually loaded with the same numbers of APHE and HE rounds, not only when they had only these two ammo types loaded, but also, when they had some AP rounds loaded. So for example with 80 rounds, you might have 10 AP, 35 APHE and 35 HE. It was usually only very few AP rounds because of the shortage of thungsten.

It would be a cool feature, especially for players, who play in MP with all stations manned, if in the PzKpfw IV and the Tiger the front armor block, that protected the driver, would be closable in steps, like it was IRL. So the players who drive the tank can let it one step open to see something, but still be pretty good protected. Currently you only have the selection fully open or fully closed and see almost nothing in the Tiger and absolutely nothing in the PzKpfw IV.

Another nice feature, however I am not sure about how much it would be used, would be to make the armor plate with the observation slit that protects the sight in the gunners hatch at the left turret side openable.

3 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

Another nice feature, however I am not sure about how much it would be used, would be to make the armor plate with the observation slit that protects the sight in the gunners hatch at the left turret side openable.

It already is.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, LukeFF said:

It already is.

No it is not. You can only do this with the sight on the left side of the driver, but not with the sight in the side hatch on the left side of the turret.

I am not talking about opening the hatch itself, I know you can open this and the gunner leans out, I am talking about the armor protection with the slit, that protects the small window in the hatch.

EDIT: After having done some search for pics, I have to admit, it seems my memory was kidding me. I was absolutely sure, that I had seen a photo of a PzKpfw III, with the armor protection over the glass block in the turret side hatch folded, like we have it at the left side of the driver. But I can't find any photo, which confirms this, and after looking closer at this part, it doesn't seem to work that way. So please forget this suggestion, as it looks I was wrong.

My apologize.

Edited by Yogiflight

Currently when sitting in gunner's position of the Panzer III and IV, you can open the hatch at the left turret side and the gunner leans out. Noone really needs this feature, but it is nice to have it in game. It would be twice as nice, if the AI loader would open his hatch, too and lean out of it, when the player opens the gunner's hatch, because as it is now, it looks a bit one sided. 

As I am talking about the loader, another nice to have feature would be, if you could see the loader loading the next round into the maingun. 

But a must have feature is, when being in commander's position, having a binocular. Currently the commander is almost blind, compared to the gunner. How should he lead the tank?