ROrtiz

Engine management

Hello everybody,

i would like to suggest a very small change, but i think, it will improve engine management a bit.
Instead of display flap, mixture, power propeller pitch values in percentage, it would be nice to have the absolute numbers, for example: 
For power, display the maifold pressure;

for flap, degrees, from 0 to the max of the specific plane, lets say 45 degrees

For pitch, RPM, where, depending on plane,  100% is equivalent to 2800 rpm, it means you have more acceleration, and for cruise, 2400 rpm, meaning a higher topspeed

and for mixture, fuel flow, escape gas temperature, depends on what instrument the plane had.

And if any of these values are exceded, a HUD icon can be displayed to warn the pilot, like already happens

I uploaded the power settings for P-47, for better understanding.

unknown.png

It can be a little strange seeing different values.

Example, when you set '262 flaps to 20 degrees as per the wing reading.. the screen displays a value of '36' or there abouts.

4 hours ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

It can be a little strange seeing different values.

Example, when you set '262 flaps to 20 degrees as per the wing reading.. the screen displays a value of '36' or there abouts.

The in game values (techno chat) are always displayed in %, whereas the settings on the flaps indicate the degrees. This is

also valid for all other values your are reading on the dashboard.

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2019 at 9:31 AM, raphaelortiz said:

Hello everybody,

i would like to suggest a very small change, but i think, it will improve engine management a bit.
Instead of display flap, mixture, power propeller pitch values in percentage, it would be nice to have the absolute numbers, for example: 
For power, display the maifold pressure;

for flap, degrees, from 0 to the max of the specific plane, lets say 45 degrees

For pitch, RPM, where, depending on plane,  100% is equivalent to 2800 rpm, it means you have more acceleration, and for cruise, 2400 rpm, meaning a higher topspeed

and for mixture, fuel flow, escape gas temperature, depends on what instrument the plane had.

And if any of these values are exceded, a HUD icon can be displayed to warn the pilot, like already happens

I uploaded the power settings for P-47, for better understanding.

unknown.png

I don't mean to sound snarky, but the planes all have gorgeously rendered instrument panels and levers that show these things in the proper units. I have tech tips on and I still use the instrument panel 90% of the time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If I understand right, 100%in hud is 3000rpm 2550 85% 2400 80%. In p-39 is indicated in the propeller control in other US aircraft where is indicated?

image.png

The tech chat is a necessary evil as long there are engine settings ranges (nominal/combat/emergency). Otherwise you wouldn't be sure if you have a ticking bomb or not as just fraction of MP can trigger mode change. IRL (and in the other game) it wouldn't matter if you set MP 1" (or 2") unit lower or higher.

• Upvote 1

I know, and in some game modes you can only rely on them to get information, but the point is, why not show the right values when it is available? 

8 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

I don't mean to sound snarky, but the planes all have gorgeously rendered instrument panels and levers that show these things in the proper units. I have tech tips on and I still use the instrument panel 90% of the time.

Hi-jacking the thread:

-make technochat server-sided

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, 4./JG26_Onebad said:

Hi-jacking the thread:

-make technochat server-sided

Thank you.

Or user sided, you can choose what to use. :)

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, raphaelortiz said:

I know, and in some game modes you can only rely on them to get information, but the point is, why not show the right values when it is available? 

Well, to be honest, if tecno chat is enabled, I rather have % than actual values.

For flaps, if I'm flying a plane I dont usualy use. And I also dont find the actual flaps indicator, Lets say tecno chat says flaps 100%, I KNOW my flaps are fully deployed. If instead it sayd for example 45 degrees, is that fully deployed? I dont know if I dont know/remember the plane.

Lets say ata on a 109. It says 1,3. is that  close to full Power? It depends on the model of 109, right now if ir shows 90-95% throttle you know you are pushing the engine hard.

On 6/18/2019 at 5:56 PM, raphaelortiz said:

Or user sided, you can choose what to use. :)

It already is...

Not having it on is just a disadvantage to yourself. 😎

10 hours ago, JgonRedcorn said:

It already is...

Not having it on is just a disadvantage to yourself. 😎

Where is it? i couldn't find where to change % to actual values, only to enable or disable technochat.

😞

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, raphaelortiz said:

Where is it? i couldn't find where to change % to actual values, only to enable or disable technochat.

😞

I think you misunderstood.  Onebad said he wanted *Technochat* to be turned on & off by the server.  You replied that you want the option for the user to turn it on and off and Redcorn said you can already do that ie turn technochat on & off for yourself.   The exchange was not about Actual v Percentage values.

I wouldn't mind more flexibility in being able to choose what appears in technochat.  I really don't care for engine % readings because I read the dash panel but, radiator settings are a bit different.  Some planes don't have any in-cockpit indicators to go by for radiators.  It's "turn wheel  'x' amount of times for optimal settings and it can be hard to tell if you're just dragging open rad flaps around.  

For things like mixture settings, most planes have markings on the lever base and you can see when it's right so, it's not really necessary to have tc on for that.  

Some planes have flap indicators and some don't.  It would be nice to turn that tc off for the ones that do.  

All planes have some sort of landing gear indicator so again, it would be a nice option to turn that message off.  

There's probably other stuff I forgot about but, I hope I gave enough examples.  

9 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I think you misunderstood.  Onebad said he wanted *Technochat* to be turned on & off by the server.  You replied that you want the option for the user to turn it on and off and Redcorn said you can already do that ie turn technochat on & off for yourself.   The exchange was not about Actual v Percentage values.

Oh.. :( got it

thanks

6 hours ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

I wouldn't mind more flexibility in being able to choose what appears in technochat.  I really don't care for engine % readings because I read the dash panel but, radiator settings are a bit different.  Some planes don't have any in-cockpit indicators to go by for radiators.  It's "turn wheel  'x' amount of times for optimal settings and it can be hard to tell if you're just dragging open rad flaps around.  

For things like mixture settings, most planes have markings on the lever base and you can see when it's right so, it's not really necessary to have tc on for that.  

Some planes have flap indicators and some don't.  It would be nice to turn that tc off for the ones that do.  

All planes have some sort of landing gear indicator so again, it would be a nice option to turn that message off.  

There's probably other stuff I forgot about but, I hope I gave enough examples.  

Actually, you won't get actual values from some commands, because they are not scaled, like trims or radiators, so you have to apply more until you reach the desired climb speed, or temperature, for example.
I did this suggestion because i am having some trouble flying the russian planes, the instruments are different, i cant tell what is what in some planes, and i believe other ppl also have difficulties when changing planes.

On 6/20/2019 at 2:37 PM, 56RAF_Roblex said:

That seems to be the case, the option to change the readouts would be just fine and not effect gameplay at all. But the devs would have to redo all the technochats for each and every plane, pipe dream at this point.