von_Michelstamm

So, has anyone broken the sound barrier in their 262 yet?

Posted (edited)

Guy's! Stop breaking the sound barriers! 

They are no longer covered by insurance! 

Edited by CptSiddy
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 19RAF_MJDixon said:

I think I went so fast that the in-game recording couldn't keep up in the cockpit view or something, either that or I entered another dimension (as you do.)

Interesting video Dixon:salute:

Unfortunately what it actually confirms is that the ingame track recording system still has the cockpit bug introduced with the previous update.:(

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

to be fair, you wouldn't actually hear your own sonic boom from the cockpit...

this because the "boom" isn't really a sound that happens when you cross mach 1 (unlike popularized by the classic NovaLogic F22 series) - the so called "boom" is really what a stationary observer gets, plus free broken windows, when a supersonic object passes nearby. The burst of sound is really the compressed mass of every sound wave transmitted in the direction of travel arriving together simultaneously with (or some time after) the aircraft itself.

In the cockpit, the cabin air is relatively stationary, so the pilot hears the engine sounds quite normally, transmitted mostly through vibrations of the airframe itself. This is just like how you can hear your own voice through the bones in your skull (for those of us equipped with skulls, at least) even while wearing heavy-duty earplugs.

It could sound a bit muffled and strange perhaps, as metal transmits frequencies differently from air,  but there would be no discernible "boom" whatsoever to be heard inside the cockpit of any supersonic vehicle. Just the steady droning of the engines

This is the same reason why astronauts can hear their rockets firing even though there is no air and thus, no sound in space.

Of course, all of this adds a lot to the surprise of landing to find a lot of angry people of higher rank than yourself demanding explanations about who's gonna pay for all that broken glass

Edited by 19//Moach
  • Upvote 1

On 6/13/2019 at 3:59 AM, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

Yes, the one I mentioned was the earlier F4D Skyray, but yep the Phantom, MiG-21, Mirage III those are Mach 2 fightes and they don't look like they follow area rule either.

The Mirage 3 was the first Dassault fighter to incorporate the area rule. A Delta wing gets pretty close without much waisting of the fuselage as seen here on the Phantom. 

Collings-f4-1200x800.thumb.jpg.8882d40989f421fbca2dcfcc56239992.jpg

I'm gonna be honest....while in a regular game its gonna be basically impossible to do and still live from it....this discovery makes me very happy 

As title suggests. I tried it and lost control from mach tuck and another time I bailed and it hit the ground at 1040 km/h lol... Was just reading about Hans Quido Mutke's claim. No wonder he wanted the plane back after war. What a beast.

On 6/12/2019 at 11:38 AM, ZachariasX said:

Oh, you can. Just use brute force. Most jet fighters of today do not have a narrow waist anymore.

Modern jets are area ruled though.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, LizLemon said:

Modern jets are area ruled though.

Not really.

Area rule only saw significant application in underpowered jets of the 50-60s so aircraft to get past the transonic region of M0.8-1.2 in level flight. After advances in jet technology including intake design, area rule became less important, as modern jets don't really have a problem brute forcing past it with aircraft such as the F-22 and Eurofighter able to go past the transonic zone in military power. MiG-25 and MiG-31 certainly don't follow the area rule, yet they are among the fastest conventional jet aircraft to exist.

Edited by =362nd_FS=RoflSeal
  • Upvote 1

Area Ruling is just cross-section optimisation.

Modern jets are cross-section optimized - it's just less obvious. All major components (intakes, LERX, canards, wings, tailfeathers etc.) are shaped and placed accordingly.

Otherwise you wouldn't be able to "supercruise" with them.

Posted (edited)

Max hud speed on impact with water circa 1060 km/h... so at sea level :lol:

Max hud speed and survived 1016 km/h.... at pretty much sea level... or close enough that dolphins were ducking :o:

I have also experienced sound anomalies which seem like I'm transiting the sound barrier at higher and "slower" hud speeds, and not at sea level 

It doesn't always happen so I don't think it is an engine issue, since the wind noise also seems to disappear at the same time.

Edited by novicebutdeadly

On 6/12/2019 at 6:38 PM, ZachariasX said:

Oh, you can. Just use brute force. Most jet fighters of today do not have a narrow waist anymore.

They're still area ruled.

Nowadays it's just much more subtle because the required area cross section changes as you move forward to aft are mostly obscured by wing planform and profile chosen as well as the plane's control surfaces. For instance, the F-22's canopy was moved forward from the YF-22A's position so as to better accommodate the area rule near the engine inlets.

1 hour ago, PainGod85 said:

They're still area ruled. 

Nowadays it's just much more subtle because the required area cross section changes as you move forward to aft are mostly obscured by wing planform and profile chosen as well as the plane's control surfaces. For instance, the F-22's canopy was moved forward from the YF-22A's position so as to better accommodate the area rule near the engine inlets.

Sure they are. Didn't claim the are not. But it is not first priority anymore as getting more *ooomph* might be the easier solution. Conformal fuel tanks are also definitely not helpig there, but if you are bombing farmers they are also a great solution and they are highly popular. On the other hand, if you need to go Mach 2 and all you have is a smoking dog whistle to push you, then you better consider area rule as a first thing.

1 hour ago, ZachariasX said:

Sure they are. Didn't claim the are not. But it is not first priority anymore as getting more *ooomph* might be the easier solution. Conformal fuel tanks are also definitely not helpig there, but if you are bombing farmers they are also a great solution and they are highly popular. On the other hand, if you need to go Mach 2 and all you have is a smoking dog whistle to push you, then you better consider area rule as a first thing.

The big issue with conformal tanks is increasing the maximum cross sectional area more than pushing them off the ideal.

302648396_f15arearule.png.d189cda9ad1fe65d6aeb9f3aa48957bf.png

I don't think any cross sectional charts for the F-22 or 35 have ever been published, but here is one for the 23. This aircraft had a bit better ruling than the 22. Of particular note is how low the maximum area is, which was achieved by passing the intakes through the thickest point of the wing.

510642893_yf23area.gif.a470b92cb56e4d3f4a84fec0dda6b6e2.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LizLemon said:

The big issue with conformal tanks is increasing the maximum cross sectional area more than pushing them off the ideal.

Great info thnx!

1 hour ago, LizLemon said:

I don't think any cross sectional charts for the F-22 or 35 have ever been published

The latter can't really supercruise despite having the most powerful engine available. But I'm sure they made all the could.

Anyway, now this is really far OT, but thnk for that, great finds! :)