Sternjaeger

Facebook buying Oculus VR for $2 billion

Early april fool? I don't want to have a facebook logo on my Rift! And I don't want to have to registrate myself on facebook to be able to use it!

Zettman

Edited by Zettman
  • Upvote 1

He is indeed becoming very annoying. I actually was thinking of buying one. Somehow that option has become less attractive this very instant :angry:

Seems to be legit, though for that sort of money I don't understand why FB didn't just develop their own headset. These sort of out of the blue buy-ups are usually to keep rivals out of the frame, not to aquire technology.

Still something tells me this won't be good for people wanting Oculus for gaming per se as FB will injest their own agenda now; I hope I'm wrong as I really wanted Oculus to succeed with bringing gaming VR to the masses.

EVERYTHING they touch becomes magically shit.. first thing they'll implement is how to make it interact with Facebook ;-)

Share your VR experience now easier than ever. Just use facebook share button right middle of your VR headset and share your experience with friends and family.

Seems to be legit, though for that sort of money I don't understand why FB didn't just develop their own headset. These sort of out of the blue buy-ups are usually to keep rivals out of the frame, not to aquire technology.

Still something tells me this won't be good for people wanting Oculus for gaming per se as FB will injest their own agenda now; I hope I'm wrong as I really wanted Oculus to succeed with bringing gaming VR to the masses.

you're buying the know-how, not just the brand or product.. Facebook is gonna pump A LOT of money in this thing, and surely not for us to enjoy.. 

they want to catch up with Google and create the first glass that let you share your view AND experience other people's... 

Wow... I was actually contemplating buying one if they turned out to be good for BoS. So much for that!

Thanks again Facebook.

Yeah I suspect they are going to have their eyes on something much larger, than the PC gaming industry...

Yeah! I just see that when you play a certain game with oculus they will profile you and interrupt your game by superposing some add just for you.

My theory is again proven right: As soon as a company gets too big it gets power greedy accumulating power just for the sake of even more power without real economic return. Zuckerberg is about to become such a kraken or probably already has gone beyond that threshold.

My hope is for the young generation. They seem to abandon fb collectively. Hurray to them!

Edited by sturmkraehe

Its only logical since FB set a black cap over some brains now they go for the eyes :ph34r:

LOL Just as we had things working pretty well. I hope this doesn't add a bunch more hoops to jump through.

Jason

• Upvote 3

SO disappointed right now.  thinking about canceling my preorder.  And think just 3 months ago Palmer was adamant that they would not sell out.  This is a very sad day for gaming.  Imagine EVERY GAME that has OR support requiring a FAcebook login to use the OR.

Edited by SYN_Hooves

Were  reading it on a dutch gamesite , of the 20 messege there were atleast 4 guys that cancelt there dk 2  ..and call it the oculus rip of StalkingBook

I'm no fan of Facebook, don't use and don't want to use it.   BUT.....The Oculus Team will remain the same, and still work out of their own headquarters.  Facebook gives them unlimited funds, and tech to deliver the best possible VR.   Initially I was upset, but think this will only help to bring the OR out sooner, and better.   My only worry might might be that the Oculus Rift consumer version cost just went up.  That said it really doesn't have too, as the market for the OR will be so huge, that the profit margin for each unit won't have to be that high, but you can never underestimate greed in todays world.

What a strange decision. I can't blame the Oc guys for wanting to take the money, but what is Facebook doing investing in hardware? I guess they must think it's going to be huge and want a cut. I don't see any way it'd cross over into their social media domain. Really hope it won't.

I don't see any way it'd cross over into their social media domain. Really hope it won't.

Really? I have a feeling that is exactly why they want it.

Quick summary from Zuckerberg's statements:
"their efforts with Oculus will continue to focus on gaming initially"
"after gaming [...] they’re going to expand into a variety of other arenas"
"Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face"

that first statement is the death knell for gaming.  And dimes to donuts its s "buy off " statement to calm the now growing angry masses.

Im going to wait a week or so to see how this shakes out,  if no word emerges from the OR team, I'm getting a refund. 

Edited by SYN_Hooves

Cool. I can resurrect my DIY VR helmet project (which incidentally predates Oculus VR the Rift).

There were things I didn't like about Rift anyway.

I have this odd idea that Facebook and Google are in an arms race to see who can become Skynet first.

• Upvote 1

Personally I think we are still going to get the originally planned hardware which is intended for gamers, my guess is Facebook have just realised that VR is going to be massive and it will re energise interest from a user base that has fallen out of love with Facebook over the years, what I mean is I think Facebook will try to fit themselves into VR rather than make VR fit into them, so it will still be evil old Facebook but in fancy new clothes but the rift will still be an independent piece of hardware.

• Upvote 2

OK Jason, we all have to know if you are now going to sell BOS for a couple of billion?

LOL The owner of 1C is already a billionaire so don't think that's going to happen.

Ah the sim and accessories I'd build for 2 Billion...such a dream.

Jason

• Upvote 6

Good one Creepermoss! Personally I'm hoping the Chrome Mummies win first.

Considering the reaction I've seen to the buy out so far coupled with FB's history and stability of platform ... I'm getting the popcorn out now!

Edited by clayman

I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt, until we see how things pan out, yes I'm apprehensive and I certainly inwardly groaned at the news but we'll just have to wait and see and keep our fingers crossed.