Jump to content
CUJO_1970

Please get rid of the awful swastika stand-in

Recommended Posts

Germany changed the law about swastikas in computer games the past month. Maybe it is now time to revisit it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, J99Sizzlorr said:

Germany changed the law about swastikas in computer games the past month. Maybe it is now time to revisit it?

This is not developed by a German company but American/Russian.

 

When Russia (among others countries) change its laws, maybe then the topic can be revisited.

 

This topic ran it course and not the first time this is discussed.

 

Haash

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's too bad that locked localized files can't be added to the game for countries that don't have this law.  But, we all know somebody who lives in an area that it is restricted would find a way to hack it back into their copy.  

IL2 '46 had localization in the unlocked conf.ini (1 for on, 0 for off) but, I guess that was probably a time when a lot less PC gamers knew about such files and how to use them.  I wonder if companies can get in trouble nowadays for providing the content even if it's switched off for the region the game is sold. 

 

BTW, out of curiosity, does the law apply to all swastikas or is it the context that it's displayed that matters?  There are many nations and cultures that used the design a lot longer than that one megalomaniacal political party that launched a plot for world domination and pointlessly wasted millions of lives.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@Everyone Here's a question then.

When I do an Axis custom skin for the community I always put them out with both options. One without and one with the 'censored' marking. What would people prefer I do then, leave the 'censored' one with nothing on at all or carry on as I have been?

The other option is to do THREE versions but this would eat into the space of my online deposit of skins.

I find this subject intriguing and, whilst I have my own personal views on a preferred way of doing stuff, I really don't see much of a problem with the way it is at the moment. It's the 'best of a bad job', to coin a well - used phrase. I do find the look of the 'censored' motif a tad jarring to the eye, sure, but the alternative being nothing at all is even more aesthetically unpleasing.

I'd be interested to know, being a skinner... :scratch_one-s_head:

Rap

Edited by Raptorattacker
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Raptorattacker said:

@Everyone Here's a question then.

When I do an Axis custom skin for the community I always put them out with both options. One without and one with the 'censored' marking. What would people prefer I do then, leave the 'censored' one with nothing on at all or carry on as I have been?

The other option is to do THREE versions but this would eat into the space of my online deposit of skins.

I find this subject intriguing and, whilst I have my own personal views on a preferred way of doing stuff, I really don't see much of a problem with the way it is at the moment. It's the 'best of a bad job', to coin a well - used phrase. I do find the look of the 'censored' motif a tad jarring to the eye, sure, but the alternative being nothing at all is even more aesthetically unpleasing.

I'd be interested to know, being a skinner... :scratch_one-s_head:

Rap

I don't mind if it's just "implied" or "censored." After all, everybody knows what is meant by it. Besides, you can hardly see the swastika when you are flying (outside perspective excluded).  So here is the vortex for something you can hardly see anyway.
That's why I think the way you have chosen is quite nice. It doesn't matter if it's indicated, gone or completely represented, it's just a symbol.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Big_Al_the_Allo said:

That's why I think the way you have chosen is quite nice. It doesn't matter if it's indicated, gone or completely represented, it's just a symbol.

Hmmm... yeah and thanks. It seems the most obvious way and the least upsetting to all and sundry (not that I'm worried about upsetting people particularly if I've a particular point to make!). :good:

ps I WOULD have just 'liked' but I've run out of 'likes' for today!!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, namhee2 said:

The question for me is whether one must demonize a symbol of over 2000 years old, just because a few idiots just under 100 years ago have abused it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

 

That is an objective information but most people give a c**p about long-time integrity. Barely anyone remember any precise history except few "big" things like "there were Nazi in the WW2". Of course all in simplified form thus the current meaning of the Swastika. It's just so easy to draw it and for 99% of people it's the same as the full Nazi Party flag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...