Sign in to follow this  
HagarTheHorrible

Air war over Italy ?

Can anyone point me in the direction of some good articles about the Air War over Italy from 43 - 45 ?   It just occurred to me that I really know next to nothing about it.

The RCAF official histories cover all RCAF operations and include the air war over Italy, and would give you a good general idea of the goings-on over Italy in terms of airpower from the Commonwealth perspective. First volume goes up to the end of 1943.

Worth noting is that these were written either during wartime or immediately post-war, so a lot of the details are fudged or obscured so as to avoid providing intelligence to the enemy during the ongoing war. The accounts also don't benefit at all from postwar scholarship and analysis, and it is the 'official' history so we know the perspective is, shall we say, not objective? Just be aware of the bias and limitations.

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/military-history/history-heritage/official-military-history-lineages/official-histories/book-1944-rcaf-4-years.html

• Thanks 1

Cheers.

Lots of info there for me to get my teeth into.  It's funny how whole aspects of the liberation of Europe never really occured to me., even though I'd read Catch 22 years and years ago, probably off the back of the movie. I think the last consideration I'd given to the air campaign over Italy stopped on the beaches of Sicily with the picture of a Spitfire in American livery.

It’s never grabbed my interest.