BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part VII

Good afternoon.

Everything is going according to plan, which pleases me as a producer. If the producer is happy with the results then this is a good sign for those who are waiting for the project. Literally every day, something changes and there are new elements and results. Now is a very active phase of our work which will last probably a month or so. After that, we will configure specific parts and begin to move to the alpha version.

Today we show another part of video interviews. English subtitles are ready.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJdKUr41x64

And I want to show you a model of the pilot. This guy will suffer for all your mistakes and flying experiments. Don't give him name or you cannot easily watch when he falls in flames to the ground, knowing exactly that you condemned.

il2_rus_pilot.jpg

Full news

if all else fails good too see good sense of humor on the team  :biggrin:

Even tough there is no black magic to convert Java to C++, TD AI code is indeed good, hope you get inspired by it. 

My question:

will the BOB models be used i nthe new game as approried? the 109E, german tanks etc, or will them be re-done?

see you next friday  :salute:

The pilot model looks very nice, hope we get to see a good bailout animation and perhaps a rag doll forcing the pilot to bailout properly?

Can we have some details on the cockpit and level of CEM next time?

• Upvote 1

"2) How will be modeled the system of radio communications and control the AI? Will it be done as in "IL-2" or it will be something new?

This will be done as in other aspects of the game. We rely on the "IL-2" as the necessary minimum, but almost everywhere trying to add some new elements. This is evolutionary movement. Radio commands to the AI ???

The pilot model reminds me of quake 4 for some reason 

Haha yes, it's the "plastic" look of the leather :D

Well, if there is one point in the sim  that  you look first when you need to remove excessive usage of graphical resource, I would surely  vote for pilot clothing :P So nothign strange  if the  leather does not look like as  it would on  a fashion designer  and supermodels  simmulations game (ok, I just invented a market that is even more niche than ours)

If we're saying the pilot models remind you of a fps soldier model thats not a critism in my eyes ;)

Well he said  reminds him of quake4.. noqhere he said if remember the marines or the  skroggs   :P

Edited by VeryOldMan

Haha

Skroggs is that the nick name of the russian female pilot we will be seeing next week? :P

"14) Will I be able to land safely a real plane after flying in the new simulator?

I don't know. And I ask you, if you decide to try then do it in deserted places. This was the best question in this series so far :)"

I bet that made ya laugh, it did me..

The pilot looks great! Thanks for the update.

When I saw those fur boots it reminded me of Lloyd Christmas in Dumb and Dumber when he buys new clothes :)

The pilot looks great! Thanks for the update.

When I saw those fur boots it reminded me of Lloyd Christmas in Dumb and Dumber when he buys new clothes :)

no no..  it just that the Dragonborn from Skyrim  is flying for the VVS to shot down   flying dragons.

Thanks for these update films of the real aircraft.

For those of us in the West that never get to see VVS WW2 aircraft fly, they are quite thrilling to have.

I did try the beta translator, and it was funny to say the least.   Hope to have your good translations soon.

Good luck to your whole team, and thanks again.

• Upvote 1

"2) How will be modeled the system of radio communications and control the AI? Will it be done as in "IL-2" or it will be something new?

This will be done as in other aspects of the game. We rely on the "IL-2" as the necessary minimum, but almost everywhere trying to add some new elements. This is evolutionary movement. Radio commands to the AI ???

Edited by 6S.Manu

I have a doubt about: "    Airfield services also become more sociable "..     Does that include the german ones?  If yes that would be completely unrealistic :P

Thanks for the update!

The pilot looks mindblowing! (considering its just a guy we will see when we've failed our flying)

In the meantime, I start to get a little bit conserned about War Thunder. Many arace-ish pilots who might have buyed BoS and flown it on easy settings now go over there... The good thing is though if they want a little bit more sophistication they'll come to BoS (this is an argument for clickable cockpits :P). The bad thing is if they dont they wont. Not sure about this, but ill check WT out myself today (with low expectations).

Cant wait for the first in game screens (as I say allways and keep on saying;)

This is an argument for making BoS as realistic as possible in any way. It is much easier to downgrade a game in direction arace than to ad more realism features....

Edited by Continuo

I tryed WT and the public  of that game is less related to Il2 public than the public of Euro Truck . The game is just a bit less arcadish than River Raid 2.

War thunder  might  be a possible way to  bring  more people into  be interested in  air combat. Do not think anyoen that would like Il2 would play WT for too long.

• Upvote 1

1360321499[/url]"]1360321499[/url]"]1360321499[/url]"]The pilot model looks very nice, hope we get to see a good bailout animation and perhaps a rag doll forcing the pilot to bailout properly?

Yeah, incorporating something like this would be awesome:

Charlo

Edited by Charlo
  • Upvote 1

I do hope there ill be at least two different pilot faces, a Russian and a German one. Plus, of course, the correct attire for each nation and plane type.

Edited by Zorin

I do hope there ill be at least two different pilot faces, a Russian and a German one. Plus, of course, the correct attire for each nation and plane type.

At least .. I hope that the base pilot is just skinnable and you can add on the uniforms accordingly..

wow this euphoria thing looks neat...

Yes it does.. I wonder how much it uses in the way of resources..

Some hilarious comments in there. I loved the C++ bit.

Well, Russian sarcasm is always a bit "over the top" - when you realize that it's a culture thing it's rather funny ;)

Still - was the AI coded in Java in IL2? I very much doubt that. Sure the crappy GUI was coded in Java but the rest of the engine was coded in C++ as I understand it? Would seem like an extremely weird architecture to code the render engine in C++ and the AI in Java... But then you have CloD with .NET for the core engine that was an extremely weird choice too (if we put away the context of 2005 where .NET was going to replace C++ everywhere)... But OK, the Java GUI in IL2 was way better than the WPF GUI in CloD anyway ;)

Edited by mazex

But then you have CloD with .NET for the core engine that was an extremely weird choice too

CloD core is written in C++.

CloD core is written in C++.

Well - define core in that case? ;) The core.dll in CloD is a .NET assembly at least... The same goes for most of the other dll:s like gameWorld.dll which sounds like it handles the AI if you check it out? Seems like it's mostly Speedtree that is C++ to me, but I have not done any thorough analysis of it so I may be wrong.

EDIT - and managed C++ does not count - m'kay?

Edited by mazex

First of all I want to thank the team for  giving us these little friday updates(some of us just got addicted to them before).The little videos of the real aircraft are welcome as well.On to the pilot model, I have to say it looks amazing, I just hope we get a great bailout animation to see him in action.

I am really falling in love with these Russian Aircraft.  It's like discovering Airplanes all over again.  I mean, I have seen them before, but the stories behind them are taking on whole new meaning.  I really appreciate these videos!  TY GUYS!

Edited by Hooves

Great news! And great communication as always!!

The pilot looks great! Sets new standards for upcoming sims! :)

Thanks for the update, great as usual. 

The pilot model looks superb, look forward to seeing it get roughed up by the artist.

The pilot model looks very good and looks a lot like what you see in the many Black Cross / Red Star pictures. Good job! 

Is that supposed to be some sort of special leg-warming material below the knees for cold-weather flying?

The pilot model looks very good and looks a lot like what you see in the many Black Cross / Red Star pictures. Good job! 

Is that supposed to be some sort of special leg-warming material below the knees for cold-weather flying?

They are fur lined leggings,  actually, folded down and worn as knee length boots...

The pilot is very good and well researched as it seems...

I would prefer the fur collar and coveralls a bit bulkier, according to photographs...no big deal.

Will we see summer versions a well?

Edited by elephant

Great looking pilot model!

I know this has already been answered as "no" by the devs, but I would so want to see this pilot from within a cockpit view.. with hands on the throttle and stick.