Sign in to follow this  
seafireliv

Ok, more VR questions on set up...

Posted (edited)

I`m wondering how some of you guys set up your keys for VR flying... there are some issues as not being able to see your controls.

I have a joystick, and rudder of course, easy to see and get at, plus a throttle quadrant that allows me to place plenty of controls like throttle, radiators, plus buttons (again, it`s a memory thing but not hard).

However, some must go on the keyboard, for this I stick a bit of blu-tak at key points. Eject is on the Space Bar though I`m still considering better options.

I also have Voice attack, but I only use that for actual voice stuff which means its only limited to Ai command, not doing stuff it wouldn`t do like opening the canopy. This is where sci-fi games like Elite get off easy with VA!

What are your solutions and tricks to getting at the keys you need when wearing VR?

Edited by seafireliv

I have all of mine on my HOTAS - VKB Gunfighter Pro MCG Pro grip, Warthog Throttle, and CH Throttle Quadrant.

Voice Attack for AI commands.

Nothing on keyboard.

• Thanks 1

Hi! 

I use joy2key and map the Left-Ctrl,  Left-Shift and Left-Alt keys to three buttons in my throttle, then I use those buttons as modifiers to buttons in my joystick (or for the reminder buttons in my throttle). 

That way, I can map up to seven different functions to a single button in my stick. 

It could be more combinations, but unfortunately, a three-button modifier doesn't seem to work with joy2Key.  So here are the  possible combinations for every single button.

• Normal Button Press
  • Alt + Button
  • Ctrl + Button
  • Shift + Button
  • Alt + Ctrl + Button
  • Alt + Shift + Button
  • Ctrl + Shift + Button

This allows lot of flexibilty, for example,  I have a  rocking switch (up-down) in my throttle, 

The normal button click controls flaps

The Alt + Button combination controls the water radiators.

The Ctrl + Button combination controls the oil radiators.

The Shift + Button combination controls the mixture

With this approach I have no need to use the keyboard, other than for chatting.

Good hunting!

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2019 at 9:31 AM, seafireliv said:

What are your solutions and tricks to getting at the keys you need when wearing VR?

Don't. If you're worried about immersion, maybe only put things you'd actually say on voice attack. "Eject eject eject" for eject. "Gear up" and "Gear down" for landing gear. "Supercharger gear 2". These are things you would say aloud as a pilot during flight and I think they are reasonable for voice attack.

Other than that, just get all the controls off the keyboard. I've used Voice Attack or button combinations in the past to avoid "not enough buttons" problems. 

• Thanks 1

Hmmm. Interesting. Thanks all for your input.

Posted (edited)

This is my IL-2 X52 Hotas layout. I changed it a lot since I started to fly. I didn´t know that some buttons must be easy accessible at same time (i.e. flaps, throttle and trimm), some must be on same joystick hand (vr zoom, shift, fire - needed when I fly 1 handed, when checking my 6). Some functions can be attached only to buttons (prop pitch unfortunately). I use also joy2key because Logitech software works inconsistent ( = not working). And some functions are attached on same button (i.e Outer radiator and outer cowls). 

This layout is good enough to fly fighters, i think all from Moscow and Stalingrad.

It is not good for bombers.

jMAMov5j_t.jpg

Edited by Brzi_Joe
:X

I use Gremlin to mod axis curves, macros, etc on my Throttle, where all the Engine Operation resides.

I keep other things like trimming, maps, push to talk, and more on my Joystick.

Shoot Red, Green or White Flare, each on one button. Takes correct pistol, shoots, puts it away.

Or shoot rockets, then drop containers (for 21cm rockets).

Select Engine 1, close all its radiators, feather it. Just examples.

It's very helpful in VR. You don't get to see the keyboard and you don't have a Boing-like cockpit to have everything on a trillion buttons.

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2019 at 4:15 AM, OG_Rosco said:

Hi! 

I use joy2key and map the Left-Ctrl,  Left-Shift and Left-Alt keys to three buttons in my throttle...,

This. In my case, it’s the 4-way button for the Left Ctrl/Shift and Right Ctrl/Shift via joy2key.