Sign in to follow this  
MiloMorai

T-34 trivia

The V-2 engine had different stokes, stroke 180 mm (7.1 in) left cylinder group and 186 mm (7.3 in) right cylinder group

Yes, however the first post is a statement and not a question. So this is a technical post about the engine cylinder diameter then.

11 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

Yes, however the first post is a statement and not a question. So this is a technical post about the engine cylinder diameter then.

And how does that stop it from being trivia?

On 5/13/2019 at 11:10 AM, MiloMorai said:

The V-2 engine had different stokes, stroke 180 mm (7.1 in) left cylinder group and 186 mm (7.3 in) right cylinder group

Seriously weird. So the right bank has more displacement... anyone know why? I would think it would set up some (perhaps) serious vibration and cause uneven wear.

Who cares about crew comfort? and longevity? Maybe they thought it would be a flaming pyre before maintenance would be an issue? 😲

IIRC, V-2 diesel had master-slave rods system. Master rods for the right side cylinders had stroke of 186,7 mm, slave rods on left side had stroke of 180 mm.

• Upvote 1

Just to add to my post. This master/slave setup is visible pretty well in the link from Milo. Chapter II cross section drawing.

2 hours ago, MiloMorai said:

Because he doesn't know the meaning of trivia.

And the the thread was dead for multiple days until I posted to bring it into the top because everyone else had ignored it. Because the post was merely a statement so everyone went okay and moved on instead of replying...

Edited by Geronimo553

I don't care if anyone comments and you showed you don't know the difference between bore and stoke. Trivia is a statement.

12 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

Trivia in the context of Milo's post means "little-known details or informations". And it is about piston rod stroke, not cylinder bore ( it's the same 150mm for both left and right bank).

• Thanks 1

It's odd because the master/slave rod setup could've been designed to be equal stroke and compression like just about every other master/slave rod equipped engine.  I wonder what the thinking was behind it.

Hi chuter. Could you point me to an example of such arrangement? It's quite an interesting topic.

13 hours ago, Brano said:

IIRC, V-2 diesel had master-slave rods system. Master rods for the right side cylinders had stroke of 186,7 mm, slave rods on left side had stroke of 180 mm.

Thank you! That makes sense.

V-2 engine was originaly planned as aircraft engine for heavy bombers with target power output of up to 1500 hp. Thats why it has many design features that could be considered as overkill/weird for tank engine design. But diesel engine for aircraft was a dead end development. Instead of scraping the project completely, it was passed to developers of armoured vehicle engines, inheriting all that fancy technology.