Sign in to follow this  
thedoctorking

Newbie question: How to trim

Posted (edited)

I got this game a week or so ago and have been crashing planes every half hour or so ever since. It would have been more frequent than that except that once I get into the air, it takes so much time to get my plane flying straight and level that I lose track of my airfield, fly around for a while, run out of gas and crash instead of cracking up on landing like a gentleman. I hope you can help me figure out how to trim my aircraft. 

I tried the control-arrow keys. Control-up appears to bring the nose of the plane down, but only after holding the keys down for several seconds. Control-down might do something but I couldn't really tell. Control-right and control-left don't seem to do anything. I tried control-Z and X, and the plane did seem to swing slightly in that direction but it didn't fix the problem of a steady roll to the right. 

I'll need some pointers on landing after I get the trim problem solved, though i think it will be easier once the plane is flying straight. 

Edited by thedoctorking

The planes require constant trim adjustment. Increasing speed will require you to trim nose down at varying speeds, the roll you experience is from the tq of the motor and prop, usually just add some rudder in the opposite direction. If you are using a joystick I'd bind the trim up and down keys to something in reach, as you will need them. The buttons do work on a tap but it makes a tiny adjustment as in 1/100 so holding it down for large changes can result in a wild swing. Hold it for a second and then tap it to be precise.

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2019 at 8:36 PM, thedoctorking said:

I tried the control-arrow keys. Control-up appears to bring the nose of the plane down, but only after holding the keys down for several seconds.

This is right, you need "tap" the keys several times for fine trim adjust or press and hold the keys for fast trim adjust.

Control-right and control-left don't seem to do anything. I tried control-Z and X, and the plane did seem to swing slightly in that direction but it didn't fix the problem of a steady roll to the right. [/quote

Control-right and left is aileron trim, and not all planes have aileron trim, for example a Bf 109 don't have.

Control-Z and X is rudder trim, too not available in Bf 109, Fw 190.

I suggest re-assign  trim functions for more accessible keys - without modifier (Control) e.g. use only arrows (if you use joystick) or better, WASD keys because are more practical in left hand and if you have "FPS training" better. :)

Edited by Sokol1

Thanks, I'll give that a try. 

I was flying an La-5 as my introductory plane. The info I read suggested it was easy to fly though this might be some new meaning of the word "easy" I'm unfamiliar with. 

I have yet to take off, circle around, and land successfully. To say nothing of shooting at anything...

All right, thanks, working reasonably well. Can't figure out how to tell if my plane has aileron trim or not, though. If I use the ruder trim, the plane doesn't turn but still develops a roll to the right that is disquieting and no doubt makes my plane fly less efficiently. And distracts me from other tasks because I'm always pushing my stick a little bit to the left to keep flying straight . And my path still does not seem quite straight but instead a sort of wiggle back and forth. 

Any advice about landing? I'm on easy and even then I seem to always break my landing gear off and end up with some pieces falling off my plane. I try to slow down to 160 km an hour, flaps on "landing", gear down, get over the end of the runway and pull the throttle back to zero. I'm playing without the complex engine management features that I don't understand in the slightest. 

So how do you make a plane fly straight? Constant adjustment to the stick produces a swinging back and forth, which makes it nearly impossible to get the plane on the ground in one piece. 

I'm on "easy" settings. Is there a "dunce" setting?

It mostly comes down to practice. 'Swinging back and forth' is usually the result of over-controlling - with time you'll learn to anticipate how much control movement you need, and when you need to stop applying it (which is usually as soon as the aircraft starts to respond). If you are struggling, try practising takeoffs and landings in the IL-2 (the 1941 or 1942 models - the 1943 model in BoK is trickier). It is very docile at low speeds. Set in up in Quick Missions with 25% fuel, and no gunner, and fly with the canopy open for best peripheral vision.

One other thing that often helps with landings is to try to look well ahead of your aircraft. You should be looking towards the far end of the runway when you start to flare. Focusing on the patch of ground you are trying to put your wheels on tends to lead to overcorrection, and you usually have plenty of runway to stop on. And don't try to force it if it starts to go wrong on approach, just go around and try again.

On 5/12/2019 at 11:53 PM, thedoctorking said:

So how do you make a plane fly straight? Constant adjustment to the stick produces a swinging back and forth, which makes it nearly impossible to get the plane on the ground in one piece. 

I'm on "easy" settings. Is there a "dunce" setting?

What are you using? Keyboard? Joystick? You can adjust the sensitivity settings in the control options so little movements don't make the plane move so much.

4 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

What are you using? Keyboard? Joystick? You can adjust the sensitivity settings in the control options so little movements don't make the plane move so much.

I have a joystick. I haven't completely figured out how to configure it, I'll give it a try. 

Does Control-f1 (no cockpit vision) help? Or is that considered cheating?

I'll try the Il-2 instead of the La-5. 

Is there somewhere I can find the characteristics of the various aircraft? 

41 minutes ago, thedoctorking said:

Does Control-f1 (no cockpit vision) help? Or is that considered cheating?

In single player you decide what is "cheater" of no. :)

But fly without cockpit will give you bad habits and don't improve your flying knowledge.

Since you post in IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 section of forum I am assuming that you are using IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946, what the Ctrl+F1 (Wonder Woman View) suggest. Is correct?

Because people above are answering you as if you are using IL2:Battle of Stalingrad (or Moscou, or Kuban).

Is probable outdated now Il-2:1946 probable have thousand+ of planes now:

https://archive.org/details/manual_Il-2_Sturmovik_1946_Aircraft_Guide/page/n9

Yes, I'm using the 1946 version of the game. I figured since it cost 10 dollars, I could afford to lose that and why buy the better game if I don't even know how to take off and land?

Yes, I'm using the "Wonder Woman View" 😂

Every time I land, I break my wheels off. The plane seems to have a minimum flying speed of 155 kph, so that's how slow I aim to be going. I have just been flying straight into the ground, but last time I tried to get flying at 30 meters or so for a good bit (a few hundred meters) before getting to the end of the runway. 

Thanks for the link. 

I may just be too old and clumsy for this game. I basically accepted that was true with the shooter games some time ago. 

Ah, I'd missed that you  were using IL-2 1946. My comments above still apply, though there are other easy-to-fly aircraft included in '46 - try the Hurricane.

As for using 'wonder woman' view, I tried it myself when first learning to fly in '46, but soon came to the conclusion that it was a hindrance. You lose all sense the aircraft's attitude, and when landing you need that most of all. In a landing approach you should be using the angle of your aircraft relative to the horizon to regulate speed, and adjusting the throttle to control your rate of descent. And don't try to approach too slowly, you need a bit of margin for error (30% above level-flight stall in landing configuration is recommended for real light aircraft), and the aircraft will lose speed quickly enough as you throttle back and flare just above the runway, particularly if you use full flaps. 

Someone (can't remember who) told me that the best way to land was to try not to. Instead, try to fly a few inches above the runway, while the aircraft slows down. Eventually, it will stop flying, and you'll drop the last few inches in a three-point attitude. This does require good judgement of height, but if you take note of how the plane sits on the runway before takeoff, you will know what it needs to look like when you touch down.

As for being too old, I'm no spring chicken myself, but manage the flying bit well enough. I don't have the fast reactions of a 20-year-old, but dogfighting is more about assessing what is going on and making the best of your aircraft's abilities than it is about the sort of twitch-shooting seen in a FPS game.