Sign in to follow this  
71st_AH_Barnacles

Film of mock dogfight - Rafale v F22

Interesting to hear the stress in the pilot's breathing. The BoX audio is quite subtle in comparison.

• Upvote 1

Thomas The Tank Engine finally achieved his life-long dream of becoming a fighter pilot? 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, 71st_AH_Barnacles said:

I guess in fighter school you get taught to puff like a train

Pretty similar to prenatal training for pregnant women then. Kinda makes sense. 

Till some mad US pilot comes in with his F22 and shoots the S*** out of the Rafale.

But the Rafale Pilot seems to be an expert, when the F22 Drops he climbs up and makes a high yoyo on him. GJ Rafale dude, great airplane.

Rafale got him fair and square. He had to work his ass off to get it, but he got him.

Now, imagine how physically demanding an "ace in a flight" sortie would be, even by WW2 standards. I dont know about y'all, but my ass would wiped out. You would be fighting incredible forces.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, =BAIT=CG_Justin said:

Now, imagine how physically demanding an "ace in a flight" sortie would be, even by WW2 standards. I dont know about y'all, but my ass would wiped out. You would be fighting incredible forces.

The good thing about Gs is that you can train for them. Being in shape physically and mentally is a great help.

Most pilots in WW2 were lean and physically rather well trained (compared to today's people who are generally way fatter than the post-depression WW2 generation).

Smoking and drinking (*cough* fighter pilot's diet *cough*) will have negative effects on your physiology (especially when flying hung-over), but most guys at least could compensate through youth.

Of note is the fact that USAAF pilots were issued speed-jeans (early G-suits/ G-pants) and thus had a slightly higher tolerance in 1944.

Physiological differences are the most important factor. If you're in good shape, you'll be able to take more Gs longer and last for a longer time concentrating on the task at hand (flying the airplane, navigation, tactical issues, etc.).

With electronics, servos, sensors and computers we have today could be a good idea to try such thing again?

F9F-3_Panther_with_Emerson_turret.jpg.8f60031f36c7a6eded9b2d34d0bd62ec.jpg

More info here.

Pulling that much Gs for that long is way too harsh and will degrade pilot's faculties, shortly. I'd prefer to have men in a force to be able to think clearly at all times. If there will be human pilots in future fighter planes then something will have to change...

4 hours ago, Ehret said:

could be a good idea to try such thing again?

I have that on the Dolphin.

21 hours ago, 71st_AH_Barnacles said:

Interesting to hear the stress in the pilot's breathing. The BoX audio is quite subtle in comparison.

The BoX audio being subtle is a good thing, since the breathing in your video sounds like mine when I am in a fight!  Having additional loud breathing would be like being in a two seater...

• Upvote 1