Sign in to follow this  
Avyx

Samsung 4k tv as PC monitor

Hello everyone,
Just wanted to ask if everyone here uses a Samsung 4k tv ( 2017, 2018 models) as PC monitor
I have an incredible annoying issue, and I can't fix it 
It's a long story, with a lot of details 
Of course, I'll give more details about. 
Thank you very much, in advance

I use a 42" 1080p TV for a monitor and I love it. But there are others here who would consider it "peasantry" because it doesn't have 40,000Hz refresh rate, doesn't cost $1,000, blah blah, ad nauseam. 

Give it a go, you might be pleasantly surprised. Like I said, I love mine and I'm only in 1080p. :biggrin:

Posted (edited)

for games like il-2, it should be just fine. for something more fast paced (e.g. shooters) it _can_ be a problem since TVs usually dont use very responsive (low latency) panels, but doesn't have to be.

you should maybe also take into account that "older" TVs usually don't support tech like FreeSync - if that is something you're keen of

Edited by EpeeNoire

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Avyx said:

Hello everyone,
Just wanted to ask if everyone here uses a Samsung 4k tv ( 2017, 2018 models) as PC monitor
I have an incredible annoying issue, and I can't fix it 
It's a long story, with a lot of details 
Of course, I'll give more details about. 
Thank you very much, in advance

Yes. Series 9.  Not that that means that I will know how to solve issues, but you never know.

Edited by unreasonable

Posted (edited)

Thank you 

Which model do you have? 

I'm using Q9FN 55 inches, replaced the KS7500

Do you use HDMI 1 PC? HDMI 1 Game console? 

Edited by Avyx

model ua75ks9000 using HDMI PC 

74inch, curved screen. :)  Need to set it to Game settings using the gizmo, to turn off all the picture manipulation crap.  works well, but occasionally loses the sound signal for some reason, when it has been left alone for a long time, in which case I have to reset it to get the sound back. Apart from that, and the HDMI cable sometimes going a bit loose, it has worked well, good speakers too.

25 minutes ago, unreasonable said:

74inch, curved screen.  

Wut!?  OK, impressed:salute:

Posted (edited)

@unreasonable, I still have the KS7500, 55 inches, curved.

Just purchased 3-4 days ago, the Q9FN 55 inches as well, flat. Love it. But my issue is still present

I'm trying to give some details, please read carefully, and if you know how to fix this, please help me with some advices.

So, here is the story :

Since I purchased the KS7500, 2017 January, i ALWAYS used ONLY Game Console HDMI 1 input 

Never used HDMI 1 PC.    Everthing was just fine. Image quality, text, etc

I know, 4:2:2, instead chroma subsampling 4:4 :4 which is awesome for text

But I don't give a... about the text, fonts 

With Game Console HDMI 1  vs HDMI 1 PC, everything looks way better. 

Contrast, Colors, Backlight, etc. 

I used it like that for about 2 years, with different flight simulators, like DCS world, IL 2 sturmovik battle of X, CoD , Xplane 11 )

Never had an issue with this input HDMI 1 Game Console - clouds, etc. 

Never 

I started with X-Plane 11, last year, August 

I used the TV as I said above, with Game Console HDMI 1

Everything was perfect ( except the FPS, high settings, maps, add-ons, etc) 

The image quality was awesome 

Then, about 3 - 4 weeks ago, everything wasn't the same anymore 

With X-Plane 11 and with all the other flight sims. I didn't update the Windows, or some major software changes

All the clouds started to look weird, especially on X-Plane 11 

I did a Windows fresh install, XP 11 as well, default, no add-ons, no plugins, nothing 

Couldn't fix my issue

HDMI UHD Color ON.    Game Mode ON

Replaced the HDMI cable, 3 or 4 different cables. Nothing changed. I even purchased a brand new HDMI 2.0 cable, 4k, 60Hz, High Speed, etc etc etc etc 

Replaced( testing ) the graphic card, my GTX 1080 ti, with R9 390x, GTX 980ti , tried many nVidia drivers, olders, the newest...

Tried with nVidia Control Panel, all the settings : output color format / output dynamic range / tested with 59, 58 Hz / 1080p / reduced Gamma / and many many more

Same story. Nothing changed . I said " that's the TV panel display - is going to die "

Now, i purchased the Samsung Q9FN 55 inches

Tried with HDMI 1 as game console and HDMI 1 as PC

With the HDMI 1 as game console, clouds look awful. Unplayable , especially X-plane 11. Clouds look like they are burning, like some flames.....

Pink and green edges, shapes .... it's hard to describe 

But the whole image ( except clouds ) is amazing. Contrast, Colors, Backlight, black, white... 

Just incredible nice . Even on the web sites, text / fonts / everything look amazing.

I recorded some short videos with nVidia Geforce Experience, put the videos on USB stick, and tested on my main TV in the living room ( Panasonic 4K, 75 inches )

Same awful clouds. So, there is no hardware trouble on my Samsung 4k TV

When I switch to HDMI 1 PC, clouds look a bit better but I still can see the clouds are not alright ( pink, green, all those shapes, edges  )

And besides, I have to sacrifice all those beautiful colors, contrast, etc etc etc, if I stick with HDMI  1 PC

Okay, let's say, I'll keep it with PC HDMI 1, and I'm trying to ignore this issue ( not sure if I can do this) 

The question ( s ) is : why is everything changed, suddenly ? Who ( windows 10 dx ? Gpu ? ) is changing / processing/  the quality image, when I use Game Console HDMI 1

Is that normal, what happens?  i couldn't observe those issues in 2 years, with the KS7000, and I used only Game Console HDMI 1, no clouds issues, nothing.... 

Until 3, 4 weeks ago 

Is there a way to use Game Console HDMI 1, without having all the awful clouds? For me it's impossible.

I tried with BIOS ( latest version ) default settings, no CPU overclock.

I'm just speechless and I feel I came to a dead end. I don't know what else I could try  / test

If you guys, have any ideas / advices, please, do not hesitate

Thank you very much

Edited by Avyx

Posted (edited)

I am way out of my depth technically - I have an ex-employee set up my gamer PCs for me. I am still using Windows 7 BTW, so anything after that is all Greek to me and know nothing about Xplane 11, whatever that is.  BoX runs beautifully on my screen - also NVidea 1080. 

All I can think logically is to determine if you get the same graphical problems using some crappy old screen but the same PC?  Not recording and replaying, but actually connecting your PC to an old monitor. (Having been gaming for decades I always seem to have a cupboard full of old crap). 

If you do, try rolling back to an older Nvidea driver. I do not auto-update these. 

Last possibility is to take a screenshot of the artifacts and post here: one of the more techno-savvy people might be able to say - "Aha, you have accidentally switched on bloom" or something like that.

I am afraid that exhausts my ability to contribute: Good Luck!

1 hour ago, DD_Arthur said:

Wut!?  OK, impressed:salute:

:)  It certainly reduces any desire to torture my neck with a VR helmet.

Edited by unreasonable

Here is a printscreen

Made from some cloud, inside the folder ( .png file )

Thats a payware clouds addon

I tried with default clouds, as well. Same story

Just curious : do you see those weird edges on the cloud ?

cloud 4k white UWXP 2.5.jpg

If by "weird edges" you mean that there is some colour banding, yes I can see that.  All my screens have had some degree of that for as long as I can remember, but my current one is pretty good, IMHO.  Maybe you can google to see any settings that reduce this effect - but I am out of ideas, sadly.

If you can see those color banding, that means, my panel isn't damaged / with issues 

I started to think ( that's almost impossible) that some Windows 10 internal Codecs, DLLs, or something else, it's just affecting all the image files ( jpg, bmp, png, jpeg, dds, etc) 

I use Windows 10 and a Samsung KS8000 HDR display - unfortunately I've never been able to get HDR working in Windows itself, so I have to have this option off or else the colors look horrible on the screen. Do you have this option on by any chance:

Untitled.png

No, i don't 

engrish_major, do you have X-plane 11? 

How do you see the clouds in IL 2 sturmovik battle of X ? Presuming you have the default clouds, of course 

Unfortunately I don't use this Samsung KS8000 TV for my flight sims (I have a dedicated gaming PC and Gsync monitor for that), but I do use this TV for all types of media and movies through Windows 10, and my son plays a couple video games on it through Windows, and it all looks ok. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Seems strange that everything would look ok on the screen but clouds though. Are there any other areas that have white shapes with lighter color gradients that you can find, other than clouds?

I'll check if the water, rivers, look ok or not

DXDIAG says : driver model WDDM

I'm confused now

I have the nVidia driver installed.

Is Windows using it's own WDDM driver, instead of nVidia driver ??

dxdiag.jpg

I'll look at what my settings show when I get home. You said you tried changing the color depth in nVidia Control panel though? It says 32 bit on your screenshot above. What if you set as 16 bit?

I can only select 32 bit

nvidia CP.jpg

What if you select something other than Full Output dynamic range? You should be able to get some combination of those four where you can select a 16 bit desktop color depth.

It doesent matter if I select YCbCr 4:2:2 or YCbCr 4:4:4

I only can select 32 bit

what do you mean " the source " ??

I checked this site many times before i purchased

But, what do you mean, actually ??

Back with some news : someone from Samsung forum said, my problem is not coming from PC, Image settings, games ....

My issue comes from TV SOUND....

I said " WHAAAATT " ??

He said,  " yes...give it a try ....

Go to Sound settings, Expert settings / HDMI Audio format and change from BITSTREAM to PCM "

So I did and the display got black, no image

He said, i need some AV receiver to have 4k, 60 Hz, etc etc etc

Now I'm speechless, again

Do you think, I should ask for a replace ?
I purchased it 5 days ago
Is this color banding or not ??  When I watch TV ( online, or casting YouTube videos ) it's everything okay

Here are 2 files. One printscreen and one picture made with the mobile phone

https://postimg.cc/0MGPjd3b   PRINTSCREEN

When I'm using Game Console, it looks absolutely AWFUL

mobile phone youtube .jpg

Posted (edited)

The problem is that you are asking about picture quality, on your screen, recorded in another device, stored in another site, then seen on our own screens and graphics cards, each of which probably has different settings. And this is for a different flight sim than the one we spend most of our time looking at.

So it is impossible to know, for most of us, what exactly you are looking at, never mind if there is something wrong with it.  I doubt that you can get an authoritative answer here, but there may be  nothing technically wrong with the TV, TBH.  It may just be the case that some older software actually looks better on older drivers or lower resolutions.

There is a real risk that you could get completely misleading advice here. Best solution is to get a technically qualified person to come to your place and determine exactly what is going on and explain the options. (Which is my final advice  ;) ) 

Edited by unreasonable
  • Upvote 1

Actually, you're right

Thank you

It surely looks like some bits are missing at the HDMI output from your computer. Maybe an issue with your graphics card, have you tried to source the game from another PC?

Posted (edited)

Back again, on this thread.

I replaced the GTX 1080 Ti with RTX 2080 Ti

Performance wise, it's a better card but I wouldn't recommend the upgrade

I RMA the GTX 1080 Ti, and they'll repair it or replace the card, and I'll sell it

Now, back ontopic : the issue i had, seem to be a bit better, generally speaking, but I still have some color banding and weird effects on overcast, broken clouds, etc

Someone from Samsung should come, but he's very busy, he sad he will come in about 3 weeks.

I uploaded a very short video from IL 2 BoS - overcast

Please tell me what do you think, guys

https://gofile.io/?c=djnKNI

or here

https://ufile.io/njnhgtld

Edited by Avyx