mazex

New april 2019 firmware for G940! And the throttle works!

For the rest of you that cannot live without FFB (it is awesome in IL2) and still hang on to your G940:s - there are really good news!

An awesome guy named Fred41 popped into the DCS forum with an easter egg in the form of a new firmware patch for the G940 at page three of a thread regarding the 10 year old fw 1.42:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3879094#post3879094

This is the post with the patch... 

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3874529&postcount=22

I have been flying in my D9 for 10 minutes now going from exactly 70% to 90% and back to 70% nailing it almost every time. And if ending up at 71% a little nudge and you are at 70%. It could take me a 10-15 seconds to set it exactly at 70% before :)

And as a bonus it removes the rudder deadzone that made small rudder "nudges" hopeless before... Great news!

Gotta go back into the air again doing throttle excercises!

• Thanks 3

Hey now that's some interesting news!

It's a couple of years late for me, I only use the stick (extended) these days, the throttle and rudder pedals I replaced a while back (Warthog, then Virpil T-50 and Slaw RX Viper respectively). 

Does the update affect the stick at all? 

What about the crappy non ffb deadzone? Thats the only reason for me not to use that stick. I purchased mine in near perfect condition 5 years ago and used it only a few times. What a shame. :(

On 4/14/2019 at 11:17 AM, Soilworker said:

Hey now that's some interesting news!

It's a couple of years late for me, I only use the stick (extended) these days, the throttle and rudder pedals I replaced a while back (Warthog, then Virpil T-50 and Slaw RX Viper respectively). 

Does the update affect the stick at all? 

It's not me that did the fix, but it does fix the hysteresis code for all the axis accept the joystick, so the trim knobs feel a lot more exact. It should also affect the mini joy.

Below the release notes from the GitHub page:

G940 flight system, firmware related improvements.

The G940 Flight system, was released around 10 years ago, but is still a very interesting and unique device.

There are some mechanical and some firmware related flaws though. Some users developed and published
simple fixes and workarounds, for most of the mechanical issues.

The firmware related problems are partly fixed in the latest (unofficial) firmware update 1.42.
Nevertheless all analog axes, exept the two main stick axes, are still showing a strange 'hysteresis' behavoir.

I debugged the firmware (in system, gdb, st-link) and finally found a way to improve the behavoir of all 8-bit axes
and to remove the anoying firmware 'deadzone' from the rudder axis. The result is the patch presented here.

To use this patch you need the following:

• a copy of the firmware updater 'G940_Update_FW0142.exe' (don't forget to make a backup)
  • 'g940_patch.exe'

To update your G940, you can do the following:

1. your device should be already be updated with firmware 1.42
  2. put both executables in the same directory and launch 'g940_patch.exe'
  3. after that, start the patched 'G940_Update_FW0142.exe' to update your G940

How does it work?
The firmware updater 'G940_Update_FW0142.exe' contains the firmware as a binary blob.
'g940_patch.exe', if applied, directly changes some instructions and data in this blob.
By using this patched 'G940_Update_FW0142.exe', you write a modified firmware to your device.

This patch is open source, so if you are familiar with arm MCU's (cortex M3) and able to use a dissassembler,
you will be probably able to understand my modifications.
But better don't change anything, if you don't know what you are doing!!!

DISCLAIMER: By using this patch you agree to the following terms and conditions:
I (the author of this patch) am in no way responsible for anything that is caused by this patch.

On 4/14/2019 at 1:19 PM, Ishtaru said:

What about the crappy non ffb deadzone? Thats the only reason for me not to use that stick. I purchased mine in near perfect condition 5 years ago and used it only a few times. What a shame. :(

Well, I think that the non ffb deadzone is a lot better than in my old MS FFB2 at least. And in some games it's a lot better - so for me it has not been that big of an issue - but I understand what you mean...

And - to my understanding the FFB deadzone of the main stick axis has not been changed, but the deadzone of the rudder has been removed. And that one annoyed me a lot. 

Edited by mazex
formatting
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 69th_Sawham said:

I have version 5.10.127 not 1.42 so what now?

5.10.127 sounds like the software version - we are talking about the hardware firmware version here.

So - you need to download the last official 1.42 firmware patch below and install that first. Note that it may hang while updating - run it again then. And make sure to do it with right click and "run as administrator":

https://download01.logitech.com/web/ftp/pub/techsupport/joystick/G940_Update_FW0142.zip

Then you download the new "community patch" by Fred41 from the GitHub repository below (under the folder "binary"):

https://github.com/fred41/G940-firmware-fixes

Then run the downloaded g940_patch.exe in the same directory as the official 1.42 firmware. It will patch the patch ;) Finally run the now patched official 1.42 patch again... 

And - messing with firmware updates can be risky and might even "brick" you device. Do not shoot the messenger if anything happens...

• Upvote 1

Will try this. My only real grudge is with the rudder. If it gets better I'll be a happy camper.

8 hours ago, SeaW0lf said:

Will try this. My only real grudge is with the rudder. If it gets better I'll be a happy camper.

I think you will be happy - I don't know if I am having a positive placebo effect but it's not only the deadzone gone, they feel a lot smoother to me... I guess they had bad hysteresis code as well.

An important advice regarding the pedals that has annoyed me before - and after upgrading the firmware I simply had to fix ;) There is a problem in some games for me - both IL2 and DCS that the wheel brakes sometimes do not "register" in assignment screens when you try to map them. The post that I have linked below is what helped me by downloading the dxtweak tool.

So you try to assign the left wheelbrake axis to your G940 pedal wheel brake and it does not "register" in the assign window. When looking at it in the Windows calibration tool the rudder brakes will show up as "half axes". So the left brake starts in center and goes to min x. And the right brake goes from center to max y. To get DCS to register you have to change that they are full axis instead with dxtweak2. The post below from an old thread is what helped me. For my G940 I have set my brake axis to min: 0,  cen: 128, max 255 and now they work in both IL2 and DCS.

Important note - In DCS I have to go in and change from axis to slider to not end up with brakes "half on" all the time (as min now is 0). Did not see this problem in IL2 but have that in the back of your mind in other games if the brakes behave strange.

On 5/17/2016 at 12:49 PM, 1Sascha said:

Worked it out. In case other people run into a similar problem, here's what I did:

Calibrated the pedals/USB-converter in Windows as usual.

Downloaded "DXtweak2" and used it to change Windows' calibration-values for the X- and Y-axes. Basically, I made both axes' calibration "wider" by doubling the calibration.

The values I used are

Min: 1

Center: 45

Max: 90

Now the stick's input on the X- and Y-axis is read by Windows as full X- and Y-range (from full negative to full positive) - no more "half axes". In the game's mapper, both axes are now recognized and show up "full left" when no brake is applied, "full right" when full brake is applied. I had to set some deadzones to get rid of spiking (I really need to open these pedals and clean the pots, I suppose). But the result looks good now.

Link to DXTweak:

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/pedals---dxtweak.html

S.

from the thread:

Edited by mazex
added link to original thread for the fix advice
  • Thanks 1