SeaW0lf

Severe lag / stutter (?) with Windows 10 in multiplayer.

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone, I'm posting here because you are people who fly on the same servers and with the same module (Flying Circus). Since I upgraded my rig to an i5-9600K and Windows 10 Pro (awful software), I'm having severe lag (looks like stop motion movie sometimes) on servers that used to be smooth like butter in general on my i7-3770K and Windows 7. Both J5 and JG1. Even the one in China was fine. I was running it at 4.7Ghz.

My complete rig specs are in my signature.

It is not related to force feedback, as I have already tested it unchecked.

It is not related to graphic settings, as it does not happen in Single Player and I have already lowered all the settings to test.

It does not happen in ROF.

I already tested with the i5 running at 4.8Ghz. I still have the same lag.

I have 16GB 3200Mhz of memory (Corsair Pro).

My connection is 60MB download and 6MB upload. It varies a bit, but the connection is good overall. Never had any issues before when running with my i7 and Windows 7. ROF and BOX does not make use of HyperThreading and my current i5 has six cores and is not even sweating while playing the game. Ethernet is using peanuts as upload, and from 150 to 500kbps in general as download with some peaks (Berloga, 30 players). ROF uses a bit less in a mission with 5 players. But have more upload.  

The resolution is correct in the start window.

I have already disabled the option of “seed when downloaded”.

In PingTester, I still have the same ping for the servers I tested before, with the additional of zero packet loss (of a sample of 200 sent). Before, with the i7 and Windows 7, I had 7 to 10% package loss. My old motherboard was having some problems with the I/O ports. Now I have zero problems, zero package loss.

I always play with nothing running in the background, just small things like the page il2.flying-barans.ru, TrackIR, etc.

I went to check the download and upload settings, but it is gone. I read somewhere that it's automatic now. Is the game setting my connection wrong? Is there a secret in Windows 10? I figured it would improve with Windows 10, because they say the engine was made for Windows 10 (?).

What's the catch? I've flown on the servers since then, but it sucks. Sometimes it looks like a stop motion movie. Like I said, with my old rig it was smooth. In the event organized by Hotlead at the beginning, with 25+ players, I played with my i7 and Windows 7 running very smooth.

I’m about to open a ticket with support, but I appreciate any feedback. It might be something stupid.

SeaW0lf.

EDIT: I attacked a file from a mission with 5 players (J5 Flugpark). The lag (or stutter?) is mild, but it gets worse in furballs. Ingame with TrackIR looks a lot worse as well.

dogfight.2019-03-28_19-49-23_00.zip

Edited by SeaW0lf
  • Like 1

I've got an FPS stutter that wasn't present prior to the last D7F update. I have seen other comment they have the same thing. 

FPS counter will be steadily in the high 90's, yet there will still be a "hang" every few seconds. It's really affecting my ability to kill people in their chutes. The FPS counter does not change at all and stays in the 90's. I'm on my phone now but if anyone is interested or even cares I'll post specs and video if requested.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Check for background processes with task manager (ALT-CTRL-DELETE). :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, US103_Talbot said:

I've got an FPS stutter that wasn't present prior to the last D7F update. I have seen other comment they have the same thing. 

FPS counter will be steadily in the high 90's, yet there will still be a "hang" every few seconds. It's really affecting my ability to kill people in their chutes. The FPS counter does not change at all and stays in the 90's. I'm on my phone now but if anyone is interested or even cares I'll post specs and video if requested.

Mine is always at 59/60 fps (I set a limit), but my stutter (lag) is continuous, all the time, and since I installed Windows 10 a couple moths ago.

1 hour ago, Uffz-Prien said:

Check for background processes with task manager (ALT-CTRL-DELETE). :)

I checked back then and saw nothing out of the ordinary. I'll check again. But like I said, it happens only with BOX. ROF is still smooth in the servers that have no lag.

I had mine limited at 60 too. Then the stutter started happening after last update. I removed the limit and it's still there. Also turned off/on some of the other settings too but it's still there no matter what I've done. 

Dont have this issue in RoF and FC actually runs way better than RoF for me. Or did at least.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, US103_Talbot said:

Here the same sort of problems

Run a frame time test !

Framerate is oke , but frametime not … look at the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3v7qkDj_1A

Just now, SeaSerpent said:

'Cinematic' off?

thats not the problem , unstable frameTIME is the problem

Edited by 1.JaVA_KEBEN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good point mr JaVa_Keben, thats why the whole frametime is so important to log, same btw is counting in VR. 😚

The whole FPS screen readout tells you noting. 

• Like 2

Have you tried disabling Fullscreen mode?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Salutations,

In your graphic cards 3D Settings.... Try increasing your Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames.

If currently set at 1, increase it to 2 and check for improvements. If no improvement, increase it to 3 etc.  :coffee:

Edited by Thad
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, 1.JaVA_KEBEN said:

Run a frame time test !

It seems to be a similar problem, but is that related to the game together with Windows 10? Is there a way to fix it? Because like I said, I had no problems running with my old i7-3770K and Windows 7 (same GPU). I just don't remember the old settings on my GPU.

3 hours ago, Thad said:

Salutations,

In your graphic cards 3D Settings.... Try increasing your Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames.

If currently set at 1, increase it to 2 and check for improvements. If no improvement, increase it to 3 etc.  :coffee:

I'll try that tommorrow, because when the server is empty I don't tend to get the lag /stutter. Is that related to frame time, as JavaKeben mentioned?

7 hours ago, SeaSerpent said:

'Cinematic' off?

I'll try that too.

4 hours ago, J5_Bender said:

Have you tried disabling Fullscreen mode?

It is running with full screen off, but I think it does not make a difference with on or off.

Thanks guys. Let's see how it goes tomorrow 👍

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Nothing I've tried in the past has fixed this. Try it in completely empty mission with no data with multiple people inside actually online in a furball, just as a test. As a base line, then try to take away individual triggers that might trigger this.  These stutters have driven me nuts trying to get rid of them, to no end.  I am going through this process with a mission that I noticed it particularly badly, but just started.  If you need a Guinea pig online i can try to be there. 

Edited by TunaEatsLion

A few more things to try (no guarantees any of this will help):

• Don't run overclocks of any kind. This includes NOT setting memory frequency by XMP in the BIOS. Always check what your max supported memory frequency is (found in the manual of your motherboard).

• Make sure the game is NOT installed in the Program Files folder. It wants to install it there by default, though it was already giving permission and script errors back in the Rise of Flight days and this continues to be the case. Put it somewhere in a Games folder on the root of your drive, or on a separate drive. Make sure it's an SSD. You don't need to reinstall, just dragging it to another folder should do.

• Check your SSD isn't dying, check this with CrystalDiskInfo:

HoGNz0Z.jpg

• Check that your PCI Express link matches the max supported. If not, this is a sure sign of a poorly seated card which may act strangely under heavy load. Check this with CPU-Z:

7CNRY7C.jpg

• Check your CPU and GPU idle temps (low 30s to mid 40s). This sounds obvious, but dust build-up in your case can cause all sorts of strange behaviour.

• Reduce your Force Feedback update_freq below 10 in startup.cfg. I have found a personal sweet spot at 5.

PHeCYts.jpg

• Check with Fullscreen mode ON / OFF (either may help):

NzjQPcT.jpg

• Check with settings on High, Vsync ON and 4K textures ON:

UY68B1F.jpg

I'll try to think of a few more things to try. I know how annoying those stutters are, I had them before myself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, J5_Bender said:

A few more things to try (no guarantees any of this will help):

• Don't run overclocks of any kind. This includes NOT setting memory frequency by XMP in the BIOS. Always check what your max supported memory frequency is (found in the manual of your motherboard).

• Make sure the game is NOT installed in the Program Files folder. It wants to install it there by default, though it was already giving permission and script errors back in the Rise of Flight days and this continues to be the case. Put it somewhere in a Games folder on the root of your drive, or on a separate drive. Make sure it's an SSD. You don't need to reinstall, just dragging it to another folder should do.

• Check your SSD isn't dying, check this with CrystalDiskInfo:

• Check that your PCI Express link matches the max supported. If not, this is a sure sign of a poorly seated card which may act strangely under heavy load. Check this with CPU-Z:

• Check your CPU and GPU idle temps (low 30s to mid 40s). This sounds obvious, but dust build-up in your case can cause all sorts of strange behaviour.

• Reduce your Force Feedback update_freq below 10 in startup.cfg. I have found a personal sweet spot at 5.

• Check with Fullscreen mode ON / OFF (either may help):

• Check with settings on High, Vsync ON and 4K textures ON:

I'll try to think of a few more things to try. I know how annoying those stutters are, I had them before myself.

What you mean by no overclocks? No XMP? Is there a science behind it? Because I got a nice bump on NFF once I overclocked my i7-3770K. And memory frequency will make a difference as well, especially DDR4, when latency is not that great. And the XMP is factory approved. Or BOX does not support overclocking? (?)

And the rig settings are OK. Brand new motherboard, SSD is OK, not interfering with any SATA port (I left the right one empty), temperatures are OK. And it works fine with ROF and in Single Player, so it is most likely not hardware related, but something within the game or with Windows 10 and BOX.

I think I have 4K checked. 

I'll try moving the game to another file. 

What I don't understand is the Windows 10 thing. Wasn't BOX made for Windows 10? Because even ROF is working fine with Windows 10. The weirdest of it all is that it works like a charm with Windows 7. 

23 hours ago, SeaW0lf said:

I upgraded my rig to an i5-9600K and Windows 10 Pro

Exactly the same upgrade as I performed 2.5 weeks ago.

My previous system was an i5-2500K.

IL-2 Installation has been carried over (the Steam Library is on a separate SSD, so the Windows Reinstall didn't affect it) so I can definitely rule out any settings issue.

Accidentally the upgrade falls in the same timeframe as the latest BoX update and for the moment, I chalk the stutters on something that got messed up in 3.012 and not on my end.

FWIW, this was my old hardware:

i5-2500K, Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.0, 16GB RAM (4x4GB Kingston ValueRam DDR3) Scythe Yasya Cooler.

The new one is an i5-9600K, Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X, 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT Single Rank DDR4-3000 CL16 and a Scythe Mugen 5 PCGH cooler.

Everything else is the same, with the most relevant parts being an Nvidia GTX 970 Graphics card, an Acer 27'' WQHD G-Sync monitor and Windows 10 Pro.

As mentioned before, the game installation is binary untouched on a separate SSD.

Windows is running in high performance mode, CPU temps are fine, CPU C-States have been switched off (to no avail, still... just saying).

Any other game works fine as before, only BoX shows stutters in high Frame Rates, and then again the stutters are really annoying online only (Server connection is fine, ping in the 20s, 100Mbit/s down, 20 Mbit/s up) and only when many objects are in sight.

Frame times check doesn't make sense in my case as with G-Sync frame times are constantly changing.

:drinks:

Mike

19 minutes ago, SAS_Storebror said:

Exactly the same upgrade as I performed 2.5 weeks ago.

It is extremely frustrating, especially because not long ago I was enjoying FC a lot with my i7 and Windows 7.

• Like 1

Windows 10 is more resource heavy than Windows 7. One thing to try is to have processes window open (or a separate process monitor application) to check what processes are running along with BoX while online and/or single player. It may be that another program (or process) in the background is trying to access the same resource as BoX. It is tedious to find out which processes can be safely disabled, but worth it.

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, SeaW0lf said:

It is extremely frustrating, especially because not long ago I was enjoying FC a lot with my i7 and Windows 7.

SeaWolf, respectfully, I honestly don't think its anyones computer that is at fault.  I tried it on three different ones over the years. If i find a mission online and it stutters badly, i can load it locally on to my Dserver, hop in to it after listing it online with 0ms delay, and the stutter is still there even if I'm the only one in the mission. The reason for the increased stutters must be either in the mission files/maps, or the main server where all the missions are listed online in the way it sends data back to your computer.  A higher ping delay on missions I've tested doesn't make any difference, it is still there at 0ms or 170ms.  I am taking one of these missions apart piece by piece until it stops stuttering.  Only time will tell. 

Edited by TunaEatsLion

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, TunaEatsLion said:

SeaWolf, respectfully, I honestly don't think its anyones computer that is at fault.  I tried it on three different ones over the years. If i find a mission online and it stutters badly, i can load it locally on to my Dserver, hop in to it after listing it online with 0ms delay, and the stutter is still there even if I'm the only one in the mission. The reason for the increased stutters must be either in the mission files/maps, or the main server where all the missions are listed online in the way it sends data back to your computer.  A higher ping delay on missions I've tested doesn't make any difference, it is still there at 0ms or 170ms.

You might be experiencing another problem. Mine started as soon as I upgraded my rig to Windows 10. Never had this problem before with Windows 7, both with ROF, DCS and Il-2. They ran just fine, all it took was to install the game and play it right the way. And now this… I get Windows 10 and the game sucks just in multiplayer. And ROF still plays fine, so it is something related to Il-2 and Windows 10 I assume.

Before the post about frametime, I would say the game was setting my Ethernet wrong (I cant set it manually anymore). I'm not sure anymore, but I would like to be able to set it manually. 

Is there a way to check how the game is setting my Ethernet?

31 minutes ago, yaan98 said:

Windows 10 is more resource heavy than Windows 7. One thing to try is to have processes window open (or a separate process monitor application) to check what processes are running along with BoX while online and/or single player. It may be that another program (or process) in the background is trying to access the same resource as BoX. It is tedious to find out which processes can be safely disabled, but worth it.

I did a quick test (J5 multiplayer) and there is basically nothing running on the background (I try to keep my system as clean as possible). Just Trackir and Logitech running and a couple things using 0.1%. The CPU is about 10-15%. GPU about 50%.

Edited by SeaW0lf

I'm still windows 7 and have fullscreen enabled. Haven't had a chance to implement suggestions yet.

Its a long shot but Ive had similar problems which were resolved by running VSYNC in NVidiaCP and not ingame.....stopped my st-st-st-stuttering ingame immediately

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SeaW0lf said:

What you mean by no overclocks? No XMP? Is there a science behind it? Because I got a nice bump on NFF once I overclocked my i7-3770K. And memory frequency will make a difference as well, especially DDR4, when latency is not that great. And the XMP is factory approved. Or BOX does not support overclocking? (?)

Technically speaking, nothing supports overclocking. For all practical purposes, overclocks are usually fine and your system will be 99.9999% as stable as without, and the hardware risk/degradation to your hardware is pretty much zero over the normal lifetime of a system.

That said, it may just cause instability in rare situations, and while an overclocked system may be completely stable in most games and synthetic benchmarks, multiplayer FC may just push something over its limit. In my experience, this seems to be an issue with flightsims in general at least since the days of IL-2 1946.

I would try to get rid of all overclocks, see if it eliminates the stutter, then start overclocking again until you find what's causing it. Unless it still stutters without an overclock, then at least you know it's not hardware related.

What I don't understand is the Windows 10 thing. Wasn't BOX made for Windows 10? Because even ROF is working fine with Windows 10. The weirdest of it all is that it works like a charm with Windows 7. 

I'm not a big fan of Windows 10, though I will say it has a pretty small footprint compared to 7 and good legacy support. If it wasn't for the annoying store and the awful metro UI style Settings trying to replace the superior Control Panel, I'd say it's the best Windows yet — and in all likelihood the best operating system that will ever come out of Microsoft. The next step is obviously just starting again from scratch, which means loss of support for legacy hardware and software, which means it will FINALLY be time to switch to Linux for gaming. Windows emulation is getting there within the next 5 years.

As for your stutter issue, if it's indeed not hardware related, then it's without a doubt a driver/configuration issue, which may very well be hard to troubleshoot.

Ideally you'd need to contact tech support and produce some kind of logs for a developer to look at.

https://il2sturmovik.com/support/

Posted (edited)

Seawolf...go ahead and overclock your machine.  If you have a stable overclock, it should be fine.  I'd only bother geting rid of the overclock, and going from there, if absolutely every other thing I could think of didn't work.

Concerning Vsync, if you don't have a Gsync or Freesync monitor, I had good success with 'Adaptive Vsync' in the NCP.  Might be worth a try.

p.s. make sure your fans on the GPU are working.  If GPU overtemps, it will throttle down, and you'll get cruddy performance.

Edited by SeaSerpent

A couple of (probably bogus) ideas:  try a reisntall of the game (had similar issue [almost definitely not related] with IL2 46 solved by this)?  Update/rollback graphics drivers?  Windows firewall/new AV software causing issues?

Ok I just started checking/unchecking things:

Turned on vsync

Turned off HDR

Distant landscape down to normal

Stutter gone

• Like 2

Thanks guys, I'm trying these things. I need to get one of these Sunday sessions and waste it trying stuff over and over again. I checked 4K at the end and it seems to have helped. At WOL, if I turn off reflection and the graphic settings in general, it helps (graphics sucks though and the GPU has plenty of room to use). Then I go to single player with graphics in high, reflection in ultra, 4XAA and such, same GPU usage, Kuban map with 16 planes in a furball and works like a charm. The same way it worked like a charm with Windows 7 in multiplayer (I always played with reflection in ultra and graphics in high, smooth just as in ROF).

Frametime about 16ms both in multiplayer and single player (don't know what it means). Frame rate always at 60fps in all settings. GPU from 50 to 80% usage.

What a mess. Unfortunately.

Regarding overclock and temperatures, I'm used to it, especially cooling (did a lot of overclocking to test some coolers and thermal pastes for fun - several of them). I'm building a custom water cooler (360mm). The MSI GamingX has good cooling, was at 60ºC and my room is at 30ºC. From what you said, I imagined that overclocking created some sort of incompatibility with BOX. 

9 minutes ago, SeaW0lf said:

Thanks guys, I'm trying these things. I need to get one of these Sunday sessions and waste it trying stuff over and over again. I checked 4K at the end and it seems to have helped. At WOL, if I turn off reflection and the graphic settings in general, it helps (graphics sucks though and the GPU has plenty of room to use). Then I go to single player with graphics in high, reflection in ultra, 4XAA and such, same GPU usage, Kuban map with 16 planes in a furball and works like a charm. The same way it worked like a charm with Windows 7 in multiplayer (I always played with reflection in ultra and graphics in high, smooth just as in ROF).

Frametime about 16ms both in multiplayer and single player (don't know what it means). Frame rate always at 60fps in all settings. GPU from 50 to 80% usage.

What a mess. Unfortunately.

Regarding overclock and temperatures, I'm used to it, especially cooling (did a lot of overclocking to test some coolers and thermal pastes for fun - several of them). I'm building a custom water cooler (360mm). The MSI GamingX has good cooling, was at 60ºC and my room is at 30ºC. From what you said, I imagined that overclocking created some sort of incompatibility with BOX. 

The stutters I experience at 60 fps start to materialize immediately after spawning into a plane sitting on the side of the runway.  If I look around left and right with track-ir,  frames are steady at 60fps but there is a small pause before every 2 seconds or so as my head movement continuous around.  This is also true as the plane is flying and the pauses get longer as more and more planes of other players are around me.  If this not what you are seeing then my apologies.

8 minutes ago, TunaEatsLion said:

The stutters I experience at 60 fps start to materialize immediately after spawning into a plane sitting on the side of the runway.  If I look around left and right with track-ir,  frames are steady at 60fps but there is a small pause before every 2 seconds or so as my head movement continuous around.  This is also true as the plane is flying and the pauses get longer as more and more planes of other players are around me.  If this not what you are seeing then my apologies.

From what I'm seeing, the problem is that no one really knows what causes what. It could be a mix of several things. From the videos, looks like the same problem that other players are having.

I would like to rule out Ethernet, but unfortunately we can't set it manually anymore. 

54 minutes ago, TunaEatsLion said:

Apologies if you mentioned it before, but do you have a force feedback joystick?

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, J5_Bender said:

Apologies if you mentioned it before, but do you have a force feedback joystick?

I think I got it. My Samsung NVM driver (SSD) was from Microsoft. I replaced from the Sansung driver and the stutter seems to be gone. I played WOL with 50 players and had the 'normal' stutter at take off and the 'normal' lag in a furball (LOL). Other than that, it does not have the same tearing like before. Let's see in the next event. 

Yes, I have FFB. I changed the startup a while ago and it helped a bit.

Edited by SeaW0lf

To test if that was the cause, I suggest to uninstall the samsung driver and install the MS one. Then test and see if stutters reappear. Then uninstall and test again with the Samsung one. If you see a difference, then that was a probable cause. I suggest to use CCleaner to auto-delete old registry values when uninstalling.

I just had tested WOL before replacing the driver and it was stuttering like crazy. Then I went to double check the Samsung Magician, watched a video on YouTube and discovered that Samsung supplies its own driver for the 970 EVO. I replaced it and the stutter was aparently gone (just remained the regular WOL stutter / lag). I'll check at the next event. Kind of spent with this stuff.

Note: I went to check my backup computer (Samsung 850 Pro) because I did not recall installing an SSD driver, or that I should, and it has none, just the Microsoft standard one. Samsung Magician does not have any entry for drivers, just firmware. I guess that for some reason Samsung and Microsoft did not come to a deal in Windows 10 and we have to install the proper driver manually.

And thanks for the help guys. I would probably not go back to Samsung Magician to double check it (funny that it does not say it has a Samsung driver available - I saw it on a YouTube video).

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, US103_Talbot said:

Ok I just started checking/unchecking things:

Turned on vsync

Turned off HDR

Distant landscape down to normal

Stutter gone

:yahoo:

• Haha 1

I turned the landscape distance back to max so it was either vsync or hdr.

I too have a gtx970.

I flew on the Prokhorovka map feature on the Old Geezer's server today. With the graphics set to Ultra, the FPS stayed solid at 59-60 with the occasional dip to 45. 

My specs: 

GTX-1080 Ti

i7-8700K (3.70 GHz)

1 TB SSD

16 GB RAM

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

I don't have any overclocking or reshade applied, which may have helped. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JG1_Hotlead_J10 said:

With the graphics set to Ultra, the FPS stayed solid at 59-60 with the occasional dip to 45. 

Then try to fly over the town of Belgorod - let's say just above tree level - and tell me, if you still feel that enthusiastic...

• Upvote 1

Glad that a few of you got their issues sorted, however my SSD isn't Samsung (it's a Crucial SSD connected to SATA) so I don't have no special driver, and since I'm using a G-Sync monitor, V-Sync isn't a thing for me either and HDR is turned off for more than a year now.

This however might be interesting, GN illustrates a CPU related frame spike issue on the 9600K:

Mike

4 hours ago, -IRRE-Therion said:

Then try to fly over the town of Belgorod - let's say just above tree level - and tell me, if you still feel that enthusiastic...

Good point! I’ll give that a shot!

I've just watched a track which I've recorded two days ago while playing online on our own Gameserver (which is by far powerful enough to run the mission without any hickups).

"Live" on that day, right after spawning on the airbase, I've suffered from massive micro-stuttering, lag spikes, frame spikes... call it what you want.

Whenever I turned my head around using TrackIR or moved closer to the plane's cockpit panel, it's been a stutter fest as if the game would skip a few frames every 10th of a second.

We have "taxi to takeoff" for AI planes on the mission, and the first AI plane to cross our spawnpoint was kinda "warping" across the taxiway, with smooth suspension movement and everything else looking normal, except for the fact that in moving direction, the plane jumped forward by half of it's length, stuck there for some 10th of seconds, then jumped forward again and so on.

Entering an air combat furball with 3 player planes and 8 AI planes involved, the same stutter fest began.

Looking at the overall scene, microstutter and spikes were very noticeable while moving the head around, and whenever you made it on a bandit's six, he'd jump/warp around in the air quite like the AI plane did on ground.

That much, that good.

Today I've watched that track from the recordings again.

Since I didn't unlink head movement, the whole thing I saw was just what I've seen while playing online, exactly the same, except for one big difference:

It was smooth like butter.

Conclusion: It's all a network issue.

And: It's neither on my end nor on the server end, because in the same combo on the same server I've just played IL-1946 before, for three hours, without any such issues.

Conclusion²: It's an IL-2 Great Battles network code issue.

Mike

• Like 1