Relative view tracking for VR

lightbulbjim

lightbulbjim

I've been toying with the idea of building a motion platform for many years now. Maybe one day I'll actually do it. Anyway... How would one go about tracking the viewpoint with a VR headset?

With something like an Oculus Rift (which I currently have) it would be easy: just mount the camera(s) on the moving part of the platform.

Most of the VR headsets are moving to inside-out tracking now, however. Presumably the cameras on the headset would not know the difference between a viewpoint change and a cockpit attitude change.

Just thinking out loud...

Himmselbuster

Hello lightbulbjim (what a name! ;)),

no, building the rift's sensor on the platform is not good because the picture is bouncing around.

I mounted the sensor on the front side at a distance of two meters, which proved to be successful.

From the front the picture tilts too much.

I mean, the motion cancellation is not necessary.

Greetings Thomas

spitfirejoe

@lightbulbjim

I use the Oculus Rift right now with a motion platform, picture is posted on the motion thread.

I did not put both RIFT cameras on the motion rig, just outside the rig and the tracking works perfect with motion.

I also did try the SAMSUNG Odyssey plus, an inside out WMR Headset and that works also perfect with motion.

regards Joe

• Like 1

lightbulbjim

I must admit I don't really understand how it works without cancelling out the motion platform movement in the headset view.

Imagine a motion platform which could roll 180 degrees to be fully inverted. In that case the VR tracking would determine that you are upside down and present you with an upside down view of the cockpit, no?

In other words, how does the VR tracker know the difference between me tipping my head to the left (in which case the view should change relative to the cockpit) and the platform tilting to the left (in which case the view should stay fixed relative to the cockpit)?

I read that Simtools includes built in compensation for just this issue. I have no personal experience yet but it is a known issue.