=OKT=Muas

Number of Players in a MP airfield

Hi everybody!

Is there any way - within the ME - to get to know how many players are allocated to an airfield in multiplayer?

I don't mean counting spawns, but the actual number of players in an airfield, and use that to trigger other events?

How can I achieve this?

Thanks.

Posted (edited)

You could use a complex trigger that counts planes with onSpawned and onEntered. And removes a count for onFinished and onLeftArea. (I forget that the mission editor doesn't have much when it comes to arithmetic.) It wouldn't be perfect, but it would give you a close approximation of how many planes are at an airfield.

From there, you can say if X planes are the airfield, do this thing..

Edited by [TWB]Sketch-

48 minutes ago, [TWB]Sketch- said:

You could use a complex trigger that counts planes with onSpawned and onEntered. And removes a count for onFinished and onLeftArea. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would give you a close approximation of how many planes are at an airfield.

From there, you can say if X planes are the airfield, do this thing..

Understood, and thank you for your answer.

This would be a bit tricky on handling a player respawn... but as you said, is not perfect, but will give a close approximation...

That means there is no way to retrieve that number displayed on the map below an MP airbase, stating the number of players currently allocated there?...

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, =OKT=Muas said:

Understood, and thank you for your answer.

This would be a bit tricky on handling a player respawn... but as you said, is not perfect, but will give a close approximation...

That means there is no way to retrieve that number displayed on the map below an MP airbase, stating the number of players currently allocated there?...

You want the players to see how many enemies have spawned at each enemy airfield?

2wln4u.jpg

If my memory serves me right, you can click on an enemy airfield and it'll give you the stats of that side without switching your pilot to that side's team. Or maybe it allowed me to do this with the coalitionChangeTimeout set to 0 in the *.sds file? (The server configuration file.) I'm pretty sure I can do this on TAW, bbbuuttt I haven't played too much lately.

Edited by [TWB]Sketch-
meme for laughs
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, [TWB]Sketch- said:

You want the players to see how many enemies have spawned at each enemy airfield?

If my memory serves me right, you can click on an enemy airfield and it'll give you the stats of that side without switching your pilot to that side's team. Or maybe it allowed me to do this with the coalitionChangeTimeout set to 0 in the *.sds file? (The server configuration file.) I'm pretty sure I can do this on TAW, bbbuuttt I haven't played too much lately.

No, no, nothing like that.

I don't want the players to get to know anything.

I just want to trigger an event based on the effective number of players in a an airfield, like for example, to activate/deactivate a AI spawn group depending on that quantity.

This is purely in a mission design perspective, not in a client perspective.

We can take a good guess at how many planes spawned in. It won't be exact amount of people, because people will despawn and then respawn but it'll be close. Then, you just use a counter to get the account of spawned in planes.

This logic would be nearly exact in a closed server, but something like WoL... Forget it!

Or are you trying to see if enemy planes are over a friendly airfield? You can use check zones with the same logic.

You could also count spawns at an airfield within (say) a 5 minute window. Then reset the counter if the count wasn’t reached. Not as good as a true count.

On my forthcoming MP maps I just count total spawns for each coalition. Once above a certain number I start doing things like increasing AA difficulty. Hmm having said that I guess I could do that on a per-target basis—count enemy planes near a ground target and crank difficulty accordingly.

14 hours ago, Alonzo said:

You could also count spawns at an airfield within (say) a 5 minute window. Then reset the counter if the count wasn’t reached. Not as good as a true count.

On my forthcoming MP maps I just count total spawns for each coalition. Once above a certain number I start doing things like increasing AA difficulty. Hmm having said that I guess I could do that on a per-target basis—count enemy planes near a ground target and crank difficulty accordingly.

Counting the spawns is pretty straight forward, the problem is to deduct the despawns as these, either "killed" or "finished", will have to be related to an area, and we cannot monitor a whole map... it will give a rough estimation of the number of players and it will be alright if you want to monitor a specific area, where a certain action is going on; but if you want accuracy, for colligation balance for example, and when a lot of events are taking place in different parts of a map, then the tool mentioned in my post above will be a better bet.

• Upvote 1