JohnHolmes

Crashes at loading screen 3.011

Posted (edited)

Hi

After updating to Update 3.011 I loaded up the game fine expect there was no sound. No starting music and once into a QMB no sound effects. I checked all settings to see if anything had changed but all volumes were set correctly. I decided to quit out and restart my computer. Now when launching the game half way through the first loading screen it crashes to desktop. Ive now tried several times and same out come. I tried going into Steam and Il2 BOS properties and "verify integrity of game files" that didn't work either.

Should I reinstall?

Thanks for any help

WIN10

Alienware 17 R4 Laptop

i7-780HK

GTX1080

16gb Ram

Edited by JohnHolmes
correction

I reinstalled Il2 and still have the same crash to desktop during the first loading screen. Really weird Il2 has run perfectly for me, up till now.

Not sure what to do.

Posted (edited)

John

it's been the same for me for months and I have posted previously; the response was not brilliant, ie it must be me at fault. Until the new patch today I had it working but with each patch I get the same issues as you.

1 - it always works fine on my laptop, no matter what, and the laptop is virtually the same as my desktop rig in terms of software but....

2 - it repeatedly crashes on my desk top PC each time a new ptach appears.

So far what appears to work is random, and not predictable, but it is generally about not using the IL2 launcher and launching straight from the file location, plus possibly installing the application straight into the drive, not into a root programmes folder. I have noted that the sound goes first before it crashes to desk top, so an assumption is that UAC has omitted some files that only come into play once you hit "START" for any mission.

To be fair to the community no one else seemed to have had this issue last time I posted here but to see another player has it suggests that there is an issue at their end, not ours.

EDIT - something seems to say to me it could be about game overlays such as GeForce, so try disabling anything of that nature but apps like that are pretty commionplace, so if the game won't run with them, that's bad from the devs; whatever the issue is, I have had nothing like this with other apps on this machine, so I very much say that this is down to the devs to make an app that works on  a vanilla type of PC please.

Tried all the stuff I thought I knew and repeated crashes... I'll try again tomorrow and put a ticket in to support, but for a full release game, I do have to say I am very disappointed. I appreciate some of you might be sat there thinking what is my issue when the app runs fine on your PCs. Well it should run fine on my PC too, and as you can see I'm not a newcomer to this game, or to RoF indeed. I do expect better gentlemen.

Edited by TWUNT-Sid_the_Sexist
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TWUNT-Sid_the_Sexist said:

John

it's been the same for me for months and I have posted previously; the response was not brilliant, ie it must be me at fault. Until the new patch today I had it working but with each patch I get the same issues as you.

1 - it always works fine on my laptop, no matter what, and the laptop is virtually the same as my desktop rig in terms of software but....

2 - it repeatedly crashes on my desk top PC each time a new ptach appears.

So far what appears to work is random, and not predictable, but it is generally about not using the IL2 launcher and launching straight from the file location, plus possibly installing the application straight into the drive, not into a root programmes folder. I have noted that the sound goes first before it crashes to desk top, so an assumption is that UAC has omitted some files that only come into play once you hit "START" for any mission.

To be fair to the community no one else seemed to have had this issue last time I posted here but to see another player has it suggests that there is an issue at their end, not ours.

EDIT - something seems to say to me it could be about game overlays such as GeForce, so try disabling anything of that nature but apps like that are pretty commionplace, so if the game won't run with them, that's bad from the devs; whatever the issue is, I have had nothing like this with other apps on this machine, so I very much say that this is down to the devs to make an app that works on  a vanilla type of PC please.

Tried all the stuff I thought I knew and repeated crashes... I'll try again tomorrow and put a ticket in to support, but for a full release game, I do have to say I am very disappointed. I appreciate some of you might be sat there thinking what is my issue when the app runs fine on your PCs. Well it should run fine on my PC too, and as you can see I'm not a newcomer to this game, or to RoF indeed. I do expect better gentlemen.

Thank you so much for your response. Im totally dumbfounded and have no idea what more tricks I can pull. Ive reinstalled twice now and still the same. Ive launched the game from the file location and still the same. I just tried to get into viewer and mission editor which worked fine.

I've put in a support ticket and attached the crash dump file yesterday and hope to hear back from them soon, until then Im totally locked out of the game. Does anyone know how to check what version you have without getting into the game? 

Ive been really lucky in the past and since jumping on board in 2014 haven't experienced any problems at all. Like I said the only installation / update I can think of, was installing Adobe PS Creative suite, which I cant really delete as is for work. Hope to find a solution soon as I really love this game.

Posted (edited)

John

not sure I have helped but still.... I am playing around with various installation routes, running as administrator etc, but no joy yet

Installed in root folder of my storage HDD - still get the same crash, plus if I exit the game launcher after the crash it sticks, won't close, saying "Stopping background tasks. Please wait."

Here is a link to my previous post on this topic if there is anything in there that helps: 

VoiceMeeter Banana causes my game to crash :( shame as it would be the best way to use my Buttkicker & Oculus Rift. The Loading screen pops up and just when the log on screen should show it crashes.

Posted (edited)
On 3/7/2019 at 8:09 AM, JohnHolmes said:

I reinstalled Il2 and still have the same crash to desktop during the first loading screen. Really weird Il2 has run perfectly for me, up till now.

Not sure what to do.

John

possible success, and I think it involves overlays....

I have disabled Windows Game Bar... didn't seem to make a difference

I have disabled GeForce Experience... seemed to make no difference

I have disabled EVGA Precision X OC overlay.... game seems to run

I also reset all the game settings to default just in case. 

I am transferring the game files from my HDD to my SSD to give it another run, then I might try a conventional install and see how we get on.

EDIT - copied to SSD, runs fine....

So... this seems to be about overlays not liking the app, this may assist other trouble shoot it?

Thanks for the help guys.

Im really not to sure what I did, but just before trying some of your suggestions, I tried loading again and it worked. Im really not sure what I did to make it go, after 2 re-installs and a dozen attempts at loading the game with the same crash, it just decided to work. 

Sorry Im not going to be able to help anyone with the same problem as I dont know what fixed it.

Thanks again you 2 for posting suggestions I really appreciate it. 

Not using the launcher icon worked for me.