Eisenfaustus

Alternative for Pacific Theatre after Bodenplatte

Alternative for "Pacific" after Bodenplatte  

119 members have voted

1. 1. If Pacific proves undoable, what alternative for a pacific theatre would you prefer to be developed after Bodenplatte? Battle of...

• Spain (I15, I16, R5, SB + D.510 vs He 51, Bf109B/C/D, Ju87A, Do17 + Cr 32)
    • Talvisota (I16, I153, SB2, DB3 + MRB2 vs Fokker DXXI, Brewster 239, Fokker C10, Bristol Blenheim + M.S. 406)
    • France (D.520, Hawk 75, Potez 63, MB.170 + Hurricane vs BF109E3, BF110C2, Ju87B2, Do17 + Hs 123)
    • Berlin (Yak3, La7, IL10, Tu2 + P39Q vs BF109G10, Ta152H, Me410, Do217 + He162)
    • I don't care - If they can't do Pacific, I'm out anyway!

Hi everyone,

The idea of this question is not, what you'd prefer to a pacific theme. If pacific can be done, then it should be done as was announced.

But since there seem to be considerable problems researching Japanese aircraft and the scenario seems not to fit current il2 layout in many ways (few decisive engagements instead of long term small tactical missions) there is a good chance even after Bodenplatte Battle of Midway cannot happen.

If that should be the case I'm curious what other scenario you all would be interested in most?

Excluding Battle of Britain, Africa and MTO as CLOD's turf I can think mainly of 4 scenarios:

The Battle of Spain

+ Would set THE start for Luftwaffe VVS antagony

+ Seldom represented scenario

+ Would be a "bridge" between WWI and WWII avation

The Battle of Talvisota

+ Continuity for VVS Carreers

+ Finish air force seldom represented

+ Therefore quite "exotic" planes

The Battle of France

+ French Air Force and her valiant struggle are much underrepresented in media (They gave the Luftwaffe quite a challenge)

+ Already well researched area for the map (Flying circus, Bodenplatte)

- only six weeks (unless phoney war included in carreer)

- might still interfere with CLOD sphere

The Battle of Berlin

+Logic End for VVS and Luftwaffe Carreers

+Cool late war stuff

+would fit together with Bodenplatte planeset

-historical plausability: Luftwaffe didn't really fight back at that point any more

Or do you have any air war scenarios in mind fitting the series design, not colliding with CLOD I missed?

Edited by Eisenfaustus
Clarification of the question and added number 5.

The only alternative (and the better option anyway) is the Asiatic part of the Asiatic-Pacific-Theatre.

Rather lengthy tactical operations there.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, =27=Davesteu said:

The only alternative (and the better option anyway) is the Asiatic part of the Asiatic-Pacific-Theatre.

Meaning what? Which region, timeframe and planeset could you imagine?

What do you think about China? Between 1938 and 1940.
You wouldn't have the problem with carrier-assisted operations.  And we could definitely
bring the I-16, I-15, P-40, and so on.

And on the Japanese side we could defenetivly use the A5m4, A6m2 (mod.11 ?), G3m, (Ki-21 ?).  
Sure, that's not much yet, but there would be a few types that you can add to the scenario.

Rico

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Hm - but if I understand correctly especially the Japanese side is difficult for the devs because japanese planes of WWII seem not to be as well dokumented as those of the other major powers. That seems to be why we get Bodenplatte before Midway. So any further alternative to Midway would have to exclude Japanese planes - otherwise we we could get actually battle of midway...

But I share your view, that early china would fit the current SP outfit better than a Midway scenario.

Really, none.  I would find something else to spend money on.

• Upvote 1

I'm afraid that's true. On the other hand the Dev´s had perhaps in the meantime even some time to deal with the problem. I guess that it depends on the type, which aircraft is affected by the missing data. I don't want to fool anyone, i am a huge fan of Japanese airplanes and would really like to see them.

If I had the time I would also like to learn Japanese. But also every other part (even if it has nothing to do with the Pacific) will surely be a nice addition. In the end we can only wait and see. China would definitely be a worthy part of it, and a traditional scenario with large areas. Hopefully we know in the next months where the journey goes.

Rico

I said France because it would include the Hurricane.

But i am happy with the Pacific Theatre, coming next.

Mike.

I'd love to see the siege of Malta but I'm with Trooper, I think it will be Korea. Even the Shermans and T-34's  could be ported over to the Korean conflict.

My  first choice is always going to be anything that covers the Finnish conflict so Talvisota it has to be, always liked the Finnish ops and their variety of aircraft types.:drinks:

Spain and France would be something I would also like because of the areas and again aircraft variety, however, with Blitz in the channel already it would be more a natural choice for TF expand things to do the french conflict rather than doing it in the Battles series.

Spain really needs to be done properly by someone, in 1946 it is covered extremely well because of the vast collection of modded maps and and aircraft but like everything else would be great to see done on a modern game engine.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Edited by Missionbug
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I would actually prefer Korea (Battle of Busan) to another WW2 szenario. Of course Italy (Battle of Sicily) would be nice, too.

How about something other than implausible options in the poll?

Anyway...needs to be PTO.

• Upvote 5

I hope we'll see all the theaters from the poll in the game eventually.

Only Berlin loks something i would buy out of offered, planset needs to be more historical then whats proposed

I'm absolutely open to suggestions concerning this poll - Korea? I'll gladly add a sixth option - but someone with more knowledge than me should propose a 8+2 planeset. Sicily or Malta both seem to me like CLOD's turf - but sure why not? Although what planesets are thinking of?

And if you believe my proposed planesets don't make sense feel free to propose changes - I know on these forums there most likely are many with a deeper knowledge of military aviation than me ^^

And don't get me wrong - I'd love a PTO scenario as the next guy, but there seem to be huge problems in realisation. That's why I'm interested in what alternatives the community is interested in the most.

For Berlin i would go with Yak-3 insted Yak-3P that was prototype basicly, also P-39Q insted P-63 that was officaly not alowed to be used in west , and Tu-2s that bombed berlin insted old Il-4.

On axis i would add Fw-190A9, get rid of Do-217

I would add 2 options in Italy:

for 1943 Gustav line battles:

A-36A, Spitfire VIII, Seafire II, Beaufighter VI, P-38G vs MC205, Re.2002, Fw-190A4, SM.79, Ju88A17

Or for 1945 Ghotic line:

P-39Q, P47D22(or P-51C10), Spitfire VIII, B-26, Mosquito MKXIX vs G.55, MC.205, Bf-19G10, Me-410, Ar-234

And Normandy but i strugle to see what would fit for axis there from what we already dont have in game:

P-51C-10, P-47D-22, Typhoon Ib, B-26, Mosquito VI vs Fw-190A6, Bf-109G6/AS, Do-217K, Me-410, Ar-234

Edited by 77.CountZero
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The most logical alternative would be to continue backwards from Bodenplatte which means Normandy.

Berlin wouldn't be bad as long as it has some western allied aircraft along with Russians. P-47M, Spit XIV, etc.

Edited by Legioneod
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

The most logical alternative would be to continue backwards from Bodenplatte which means Normandy.

Berlin wouldn't be bad as long as it has some western allied aircraft along with Russians. P-47M, Spit XIV, etc.

I dont expect to ever see P-47M in this game, as they were based in England and we will never have that big map that covers their home base and area they fight or flew at same time.

2 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

I dont expect to ever see P-47M in this game, as they were based in England and we will never have that big map that covers their home base and area they fight or flew at same time.

There's always airstarts and what if scenarios. No reason not to have it just because the maps not big enough.

I am trying to keep my mouth shut about Pacific but I have to say - if one or two "best attempt" Japanese aircraft were developed and available (say, J7W Shinden, which was still in  prototype and could never be gotten perfectly right anyway), the Japanese-speaking customer base would go up by a few thousand percent, and perhaps a few of those people could help with the translation problem. 

If it is a translation problem.  If the problem is that the documentation doesn't exist, then the closest thing would be Operation Torch and UK carrier ops in Europe. 

8 hours ago, Legioneod said:

There's always airstarts and what if scenarios. No reason not to have it just because the maps not big enough.

But untill now thats their gideline for collectors or any airplanes we have, dose it have usability in SP, and can take off and land on map area. For allied side there is planty airplanes that fit that requiraments, so why go for ones that dont.

Out of those Berlin makes the most sense. However even more sense would make Normandy 4/44-9/44.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, sevenless said:

Out of those Berlin makes the most sense. However even more sense would make Normandy 4/44-9/44.

Yes normandy looks tempting, its well known to most so it would probably be easy sell, and has airplanes ppl ask for on forums constantly, and most could be used with BoBp map and campaign, they would fit so good together.

i see they could squise in Ar-234 also, depending on map size

http://aerostories.free.fr/events/juvin/page2.html

Edited by 77.CountZero

Italy should be the alternative... it's far enough from CloD's North Africa theater imho and it could be the first test bed for carrier operations with Seafires and others operating from Royal Navy's carriers.

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard
  • Upvote 4

Based on the choices given in the poll, I would start with Spain, then Talvisota and then France (and Low Lands) 1940,

gradually expanding the plane set(s).

After that, moving to the Med would be a logical choice, I think.

Going straight to Berlin may be tempting, but kills off Il-2 BoS right away. I mean, why end the war and then come up with

a scenario after that hopping back to earlier in the (European) war?

First doing some other Eastern Front maps and plane sets would make more sense. Everyone has his/her own favourite,

I would opt to do something with Kurland & Poland 1944, expanding the Med to Italy/Yugoslavia and add the battle for Hungary.

Oh, and don't forget to add some night fighters along the way please ..

Ju88 denmark 1945.jpg

I am agree with Roast, developers should follow the historical chronology of wwii events, planes used during Poland’s battle were used during battle of France then Battle of Britain, North Africa, Malta... just need to upgrade them battle after battle... in the same time it would be great to develop maps with a logical and probably more easy for the developers for example to create the map of France in 1939 and then upgrade it for Battle of Britain, battle of Normandy, battle of Ardennes.... Personaly I am deeply interest by the 1939-1940 battle of France and dream that one day we could fly MS-406, MB-152, Potez and Leo451 in Il-2 Great battles...

• Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, R7-S276 said:

Personaly I am deeply interest by the 1939-1940 battle of France and dream that one day we could fly MS-406, MB-152, Potez and Leo451 in Il-2 Great battles...

You express exactly what I'm feeling - especially the plane set you named as the two last ones have actually never been modeled in a sim. Thank you.

On 2/20/2019 at 11:34 PM, =27=Davesteu said:

Rather lengthy tactical operations there.

+1

On 2/21/2019 at 12:02 AM, Vig said:

Really, none.  I would find something else to spend money on.

This!

The only aircraft in any of those options that I want to see is the hurricane. I cant see myself spending $50 just to get the one single seater.

All of those options are meh next to the Pacific, Africa/Med, CBI, Italy. 

• Upvote 1

...a picture is always better than words so, this could be a MB-152 of the french fighter group II/1 third squadron during the battle of France in may 1940... 

MB152.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

France could be interesting but would prefer a different allied plane set. 

Something like this:

-MS 406 and Hurricane for main line fighters

-Curtiss H-75 as a "lend-lease" collector plane

-Fairey Battle as single engine attacker

-Breguet 693 as twin engine tactical bomber/attacker

• Upvote 1

of course there is a lot of different planes during the battle of France, the MS-406 would be great and open the way for the Finland aerial battles... Hurricane will be great too and permit the UK to participate to the battle of France... for the developers point of view, battle of France is also a tank battle with the blietzkrieg at Sedan and south Belgium.... some battles and fight between the French Renault tanks and Panzer cover by MS-406 and Hurricane in north-east of France would be great with Il-2...

• Upvote 1

I prefer the early stuff... I'd love Battle of France 1940 or Barbarossa. But they are not going to happen.... it's Korea next, you'll see  :coffee:

They won't do France because of Cliffs of Dover, Spain would be too different with few inter-usable a/c across modules, Berlin would be nice although I doubt they could make a full size Berlin to fly over if they couldn't do Moscow, that leaves the Winter War which would be nice and would remake Forgotten Battles in a way. I would much like Italy for example.

Edited by ACG_Woop