NETSCAPE

Dog Mines in Stalingrad

I knew they existed, were tried in combat and didn't do so well... but I didn't know they were used in Stalingrad. 

Source is Jason D. Marks book on the 24th Panzer division "Death of the Leaping Horseman". His books are research level. The "mine-dogs" are mentioned from Prisoner/Booty reports. 

1724054859_doggo1.thumb.jpg.756d03c58a7951bb548968af9449c669.jpg

1002415217_doggo3.thumb.jpg.511a088b7dd454365566caa0faebcf89.jpg

843291262_doggo2.thumb.jpg.8dd4758be3b81c3c0de105742a6530b2.jpg

These were originally known by the Germans as, “Minenistkommenundistschleppenbydoggen“.  This was later changed however.  As by the time somebody had shouted a warning, it was already too late. 

• Haha 4

Serves the Germans right for naming their tanks after cats.  We need these in TC!  

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, unreasonable said:

Serves the Germans right for naming their tanks after cats.  We need these in TC!  

Someone would complain that the German Shepherds were nerfed and the Siberian Huskies had too much bark.

4 hours ago, unreasonable said:

We need these in TC!  

We can simulate cruelty to humans but......dogs?

Good way to get wider coverage of your product outside the flight sim community.    I predict artificial outrage:o:

Interesting. I heard they destroyed more friendly tanks than German tanks, not sure how true this is though.

10 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

Interesting. I heard they destroyed more friendly tanks than German tanks, not sure how true this is though.

An article I read years ago stated that the problem arose due to the Russians training the dogs by feeding them under tanks, Russian tanks, so I guess the dogs associated food with the Russian tanks. 

"... the Germans soon learned of the Soviet Hundminen and spread the word through the efficient German military media machinery that all Soviet dogs likely to be encountered were rabid and were to be shot as soon as they were spotted. This alone caused the virtual disappearance of dogs all along the Eastern Front within a matter of days."

welp that solved that problem I guess :popcorm:

On 2/17/2019 at 5:04 PM, No_85_Gramps said:

An article I read years ago stated that the problem arose due to the Russians training the dogs by feeding them under tanks, Russian tanks, so I guess the dogs associated food with the Russian tanks. 

Serves them right tbh. 

Wouldn’t work for me.  

I’d be fitting the explosives with the detonator thingy to the dog:  “Thats it Sasha.  Good boy,  good boy!

*dog rolls over so I can rub his belly*

BOOM!

• Haha 1