dburne

New VPC Mongoos T-50 CM2 Grip

Looks great but does the virpil gimbal mechanism uses progressive resistance (stronger with more throw from center) like VKBs? I really like that feature.

11 minutes ago, blackram said:

Looks great but does the virpil gimbal mechanism uses progressive resistance (stronger with more throw from center) like VKBs? I really like that feature.

Yes , depends of Cam's used , you can change both axies separately.

1 hour ago, blackram said:

I would think so. I only have the original Mongoos T-50 Base which has been discontinued unfortunately in favor of Baur's WarBRD.

The original base certainly has it, I would think the BRD would also.

I relegated my Virpil setup to a "backup" status, have not even set it up on my new rig, however I am intrigued by the new grip and may give it a go when available, will see.

Edited by dburne

19 hours ago, blackram said:

Yes.

Thank you guys. Is there anybody who owned both Gladiator pro/Gunfighter and VKB stick to compare the gimbal mechanism? Feeling, throw, precision etc....

Edited by blackram

On 2/17/2019 at 9:04 AM, blackram said:

Thank you guys. Is there anybody who owned both Gladiator pro/Gunfighter and VKB stick to compare the gimbal mechanism? Feeling, throw, precision etc....

Theres a video kicking around in YouTube with an Australian guy who has a whole boatload of gear, he makes a casual comparison of the two. I’m on my phone so can’t find the link. He was quite complimentary of both VKB and Virpil at the time. Video is 2 years old by now I think. You could also look at Noobifier on YouTube—he has a recent VKB review and has reviewed Virpil in the past and uses dual T50s as his daily driver.

4 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Theres a video kicking around in YouTube with an Australian guy who has a whole boatload of gear, he makes a casual comparison of the two. I’m on my phone so can’t find the link. He was quite complimentary of both VKB and Virpil at the time. Video is 2 years old by now I think. You could also look at Noobifier on YouTube—he has a recent VKB review and has reviewed Virpil in the past and uses dual T50s as his daily driver.

Yeah, I saw that. He isnt talking much about the "feeling" of the gimbal mechanism. But I found out elsewhere that its very similar. Both great in precision also. Grips are also similar but VKB is a bit better for desktop users. The other differencies are minor. Also VKB now ihas more grips in offering (Kosmosima the newest). 

Im desktop user (various reasons) and I really like how many buttons I have on my Gladiator pro and the throttle lever is there (still dont have a separate throttle). Maybe in the future - Gunfighter with Kosmosima or (again) KG12 grip (MCG is for giants and tall for desktop users, though it has adjustable handrest ) plus VKB throttle. Well see.

Edited by blackram

Hey, loads of misinformation in here which led to you being mistaken. No wonder with the quickly changing market though.

That's the T-50 base you're talking about, that isn't so well for desktop users. It has been discontinued a while ago though.

Virpil's current base WarBRD is the best on the market for desktops. It's full metal gimbal comes with exchangeable cams and changeable resistances as well, a proper baseplate for desktops, and the wide axial range needed without extension. Virpil both has the bigger stock of replacement parts and a very good support system with tickets and responsible actions. Hence it offers exactly the same and more than the VKB base.

Just saying. 

Have fun researching, and don't believe YouTubers, most of it is advertisement. Just an example, bit of chit chat out of the pocket: I got a deep look into the chemical production and involved Influencer marketing of HelloBody's "all natural" Coco Dream series in Germany lately, the whole thing could be considered one giant scam. You'd probably get more active substance on your skin by washing yourself in puddles outside in the forest, but the girls buy it like hot cakes. You can be absolutely sure that influencers like Noobifier are the new advertisement cows of today, while trying to appear credible to their audiences. That's their full-time job. And no, they don't disclose their contracts, neither in the video's description nor anywhere else. In fact they're supposed not to, anyway. ;)

So a friendly recommendation, better research the features, look at how the companies in question handle malfunctions, faults and returns, and make up your own mind.

YouTube on products is for glossy pictures.

See you in the skies o/

Thanks Fenris, LOL I was more looking at forum posts than  that youtube videos. BTW, now I see there is indeed WarBRD base which sems ok for desktop users. Though they still lack ww2 style grips. The currents are still nice and adjustable as well and I see there is an option for lefties at last (Im right handed but I think its a nice gesture).

Desktop users and ppl with midsized fists should be aware of the fact that T50 and MCG grips can be too tall/big for their taste. That is why IMGO KG12, Delta and Kosmosima is a better option.

Edited by blackram

Delta is a relatively tall grip, too. WarBRD grip is shorter.

From left to right: MongoosT-50CM grip, Constellation Delta grip and WarBRD grip (all on WarBRD bases).

WarBRD_Grips.thumb.png.705317d313a43741708c9369455aa1c2.png

• Thanks 1

Thanks Seb! AFAIK gunfighter base is a bit shorter and the Kosmosima and KG12 grips are somewhere around WarBRDs grip size I would say. Like I said it is really important only for desktop users. Just the thing which needs to be taken into account.

Edited by blackram

On 2/19/2019 at 3:21 AM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

You can be absolutely sure that influencers like Noobifier are the new advertisement cows of today, while trying to appear credible to their audiences. That's their full-time job. And no, they don't disclose their contracts, neither in the video's description nor anywhere else. In fact they're supposed not to, anyway. ;)

So a friendly recommendation, better research the features, look at how the companies in question handle malfunctions, faults and returns, and make up your own mind.

YouTube on products is for glossy pictures.

Whilst I agree with you that YouTubers are the new advertisers and influencers, I have to defend Noobifier for a minute. He clearly disclosed that Virpil sent him a complimentary set of sticks and that he got his MFG Crosswinds at a discount, etc. He doesn't push garbage products, if anything I feel like most of the stuff he gets is priced out of range of most people. He recently previewed the Monster Tech sim chassis and when I priced a rig out how I wanted it (sim rig for WW2 flight, center stick, black aluminium) it was just shy of a thousand euros! Guess I'm building a wood chassis over the summer! I don't think YouTube is Noobifier's full-time job, although he has converted his entire basement into a studio and gaming area. He was doing stuff like that well before any product related stuff, so I'm guessing he has a good job and can mostly afford to throw money at his hobby. 

Everyone should be skeptical of glossy stuff on YouTube, but I think Noobifier is pretty much credible and a straight shooter.

Talking in Youtubers... 

:)

Yeah, and the Gunfighter base with KG12 or Kosmosima grip is shorter then Gunfighter base + MCG grip. I think thats the best option for desktop user.

Edited by blackram

On 2/17/2019 at 6:04 PM, blackram said:

I had VKB Gladiator Pro and now have Virpil WarBRD + Thrustmaster Cougar grip. Both are good products in my opinion. I've spotted no differences in precision, but the WarBRD feels like a more "authentic" control stick. What I mean is, the Gladiator Pro feels more like it's a joystick instead of a airplane control stick

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

I had VKB Gladiator Pro and now have Virpil WarBRD + Thrustmaster Cougar grip. Both are good products in my opinion. I've spotted no differences in precision, but the WarBRD feels like a more "authentic" control stick. What I mean is, the Gladiator Pro feels more like it's a joystick instead of a airplane control stick

That is very interesting. This is what I was asking. Thank you. But an you be more specific with this part "feels more like it`s joystick instead of an airplane stick"?

X and Y axis feeling more seperate 👍

P.S. The Kosmosima looks great. It has features that a Constellation Mk.2 by Virpil might benefit from as well. The situation with CS or even just the stock and delivery to Europe by VKB is as bad as it has always been.

1 hour ago, blackram said:

That is very interesting. This is what I was asking. Thank you. But an you be more specific with this part "feels more like it`s joystick instead of an airplane stick"?

With the WarBRD + Cougar grip, it feels like I'm holding something bigger and something that's part of a real machine, whereas Gladiator Pro is more of a lightweight "controller", more gamey.

16 minutes ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

With the WarBRD + Cougar grip, it feels like I'm holding something bigger and something that's part of a real machine, whereas Gladiator Pro is more of a lightweight "controller", more gamey.

That is probably mostly due to all metal Warthog grip. I guess the real difference in feel would be the use of an extension on the base.

4 minutes ago, blackram said:

That is probably mostly due to all metal Warthog grip. I guess the real difference in feel would be the use of an extension on the base.

I did try the Cougar grip on the Gladiator Pro too. Didn't like it, as I needed to use the special cam on the pitch axis because of the grip weight. It made the axes feel so different and there was too much of a nudge in the pitch axis center.

5 minutes ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

I did try the Cougar grip on the Gladiator Pro too. Didn't like it, as I needed to use the special cam on the pitch axis because of the grip weight. It made the axes feel so different and there was too much of a nudge in the pitch axis center.

Though VKB claimed Warthog grip can be used with Gladiator pro base (there was an adaper and special CAM and springs) in reality that was nonsense as the base is plastic and the nuts cant hold on its own when the heavy grip is used on daily basis along with the stiffest springs. Some even destroyed their units that way.

Thanks for explanation.

I still think the Gladiator pro with KG12 grip (Kosmosima grip would be ok too) line was the best solution for desktop users. Its not too tall, it has metal gimbal mechanism, it has many buttons and the throttle lever on the base. I just hope there will be Gladiator pro mk3 in the future.

Edited by blackram

2 hours ago, blackram said:

Though VKB claimed Warthog grip can be used with Gladiator pro base (there was an adaper and special CAM and springs) in reality that was nonsense as the base is plastic and the nuts cant hold on its own when the heavy grip is used on daily basis along with the stiffest springs. Some even destroyed their units that way.

Thanks for explanation.

I still think the Gladiator pro with KG12 grip (Kosmosima grip would be ok too) line was the best solution for desktop users. Its not too tall, it has metal gimbal mechanism, it has many buttons and the throttle lever on the base. I just hope there will be Gladiator pro mk3 in the future.

Yeah. For desktop, the Gladiator Pro is good. I just had both sticks between my legs.

Fun video from Noobifier, but be aware that his recommended winner is based on space sims, not WWII flight sims. In particular the reduced extension support on the Virpil WarBRD may affect flight simmers a bit more than space simmers.

It's so awesome that there are so many great sticks available now. I look at my setup and am really happy with it (Virpil T50 base and stick and 10cm extension, Virpil throttle, Saitek quadrant, MFG pedals). It's come a long way since just a T-Flight Hotas X (which is a great starter HOTAS still). Yay for competition in the marketplace and great products.

Is not for all, but "deskmount" is a more ergonomic solution than stick over desk.

Edited by Sokol1

Interesting upgrade. I have the CM1 so Probably won't upgrade any time soon, but the push buttons are a nice improvement.

I also like that they added the "side walls" to help push the button sideways

1696843797_VPCCM2.png.ced77c304f97653cd4545c7aa3d6d1d0.png

One detail worth to be mentioned: Virpil now uses gated hat switches (on this MongoosT-50 CM2 grip and also on latest batches of MongoosT-50 throttle). A gated hat switch can only be pushed in one direction at a time (Up/Down/Left/Right). So you can't push for instance Up and Right at the same time. This is advantageous in some situations (when you want to reduce the chance of pushing in the wrong direction by mistake), but it is disadvantageous in other situations, such as when you use that hat switch to look around (continuously, not when using saved views), or when you use it for slew (not the case in Il-2) or when you use it for strafe in space sims.

The 8-way hat switch from CM2 should be the exception.

What do you guys think about this grip for a desktop use? It looks large and maybe VPC WARBRD Grip is better for that use...