Sign in to follow this  
Stumble

New Zealand's Darkest Day - Battle of Passchendaele

Hi,

I know this is very off the topic of IL2 but I'm hoping someone in this community knows anything about The Battle of Passchendaele, and more specifically the 12th October 1917, which is now referred to New Zealand's darkest day. 

I have a history research assessment where I research a topic and then talk about it's significance to New Zealand. It would be great to have as much information as I can!

Any story's of relatives or whatnot who know anything about it would be greatly appreciated. 

This is probably a long shot. Will take the post down if there's nothing. 

S!

Stumble.

Disregard this

Edited by Stumble

There's this article by a historian who also wrote a book (featured in the article):

https://www.noted.co.nz/currently/history/passchendaele-new-zealands-blackest-day-in-flanders-fields/

Check your local library for 'The ANZAC Experience' by Christopher Pugsley which is not only a history of the NZEF but also studies the effects of the war on the army and NZ as a whole and compares that to the Aussie and Canadian experiences... I have several of his books and they're all very good.

Edited by HBPencil

23 hours ago, HBPencil said:

There's this article by a historian who also wrote a book (featured in the article):

https://www.noted.co.nz/currently/history/passchendaele-new-zealands-blackest-day-in-flanders-fields/

Check your local library for 'The ANZAC Experience' by Christopher Pugsley which is not only a history of the NZEF but also studies the effects of the war on the army and NZ as a whole and compares that to the Aussie and Canadian experiences... I have several of his books and they're all very good.

Thank you! 

Both those sources seen very useful. Need to get the book ordered into the library. Thanks again!

S! 

Stumble.

• Thanks 1