Sign in to follow this  
Lazduc

Questions new beginnings, new start

I have not had too much luck with this game.  Numerous errors.  As I mentioned in another post, first time starting the game was very unstable, crashed etc.  

I have found most problems maybe due to this old computer.  Mainly the video card...only 1gb memory.  There are two 1gb cards in sli...but not enough.  

Currently my keyboard is missing a number of keys being recognized.  All "F" keys, backspace, and several others do not seem to be enabled, or recognized.

All my system components work perfectly in other games.

I am currently using a TM16000 throttle and joystick.  Several buttons and the throttle handle,  when pushed is recognized partially but go from 0% to 100% back

and forth sporadically.  In the settings I have sucessfully binded the yaw, pitch and roll.  However there are a number of settings,( sure would be nice to 

have a manual describing the correct binding procedures to for each plane) several actions must be combined to allow certain functions.  

For instance...Control of engine 1, and off and on for engine 1, and throttle for engine 1.....confusing mess.  Do all these need to be used to just control the throttle or maybe 

all the other engine 1 items need to be on and used ??  I tried numerous settings and never could get the throttle to operate correctly.  Some of the buttons work properly.

I also would like to know if I want to use a different computer, which I plan too,  can I download everything again?    Took about 3 hours first time and I have a fast connection.

I also noticed that a window pops up and states I should download the latest version.  Thought I have the latest 3.010.

Sorry to be a problem, and I could not determine what category to put this post in.

Laz   

Edited by Lazduc
grammer

Sounds like you may need a couple upgrades. What are your system specs?

didnt you say before you are running 2 1080 Ti?

it also sounds like you may be over thinking the throttle settings. 

are you running the game on steam? 

You can get the game launcher from il2 site and that way you can easily move your game copy to a new pc. In fact you can have it on as many pcs as you want. You can only play it on one at a time. 

There have been a couple small updates last few days so that may. E why you are being asked to download latest version. 

Edited by SShrike

SShrike,

I have been using my old system.  Has 2600k,8gb,2x6800/1gb.  The system I will use has 4790k, 32gb,1060/6gb, 2ssd-500gb+500gb.  I just copied the full install of IL-2 16.9gb

onto a 32gb usb drive.  I will load it onto the 4790 system.  

I had built a 8700k, 2x1080ti's, all the bells and whistles to run DCS.  I got a little disappointed with that software and decided to get the 4790 system and put DCS on it instead of 

putting DCS on the 8700k system.  I will save the 8700k system for another project.  My reason was DCS is always in a state of confusion and constant tweaking just to get it to run.

I did not want to constantly have to reconfigure/tweak/remove/reinstall etc,etc, etc...on that super expensive system and possibly break it.

I got a great price on that 4790k .  It is almost new..paid the guy 600.00 which was a steal.  It should run every game out there. Plus VR.  The 8700k system with the 2x1080ti will 

definitely run everything.  I have not even plugged in my Oculus Rift.  I am 75 and hope it wont make me ill.  I did try it in the store where I purchased it and I felt ok but that was 

not in a flight sim and was only for 10 minutes.  Guess that is what Dramamine is good for.  LOL  Its snowing so I can spend tomorrow playing with this.

I live in Vancouver, Washington.

Laz   

This is a really weird situation. I do not believe that you are approaching it correctly.

Firstly, stop using the system with HD 6800 CrossFire. Any combination of 1 GB graphics cards will be far too slow for Il-2. It is worse than useless at this point.

Secondly, don't worry about keeping various games on separate computers. They will just work without ever interfering with one another.

Focus on getting a single computer in good shape. The 4790K + GTX 1060 system would very good, but 8700K + 1080 Ti would fantastic. With a clean Windows installation and a few drivers for the hardware, all games should run flawlessly. If necessary, I'm sure that someone can walk you through the steps required to get it set up from scratch.

VR is a special case that requires a lot of tweaking to get good results. Focus on getting good performance on a monitor first.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo

regarding multi engine. I only have the single engine settings mapped on my hotas, if I need to adjust a single engine, then I press the corresponding number for that engine on the keyboard. 

1: Left engine

2: Right Engine

0: Both

10 hours ago, =11=Herne said:

regarding multi engine. I only have the single engine settings mapped on my hotas, if I need to adjust a single engine, then I press the corresponding number for that engine on the keyboard. 

1: Left engine

2: Right Engine

0: Both

Controls labeled with engine #1, #2 or #3 are there if you want to bind them separately. Like if you have a throttle unit with multiple levers.

You will do just fine if you use the common throttle, rpm and radiator controls (the ones that are in top of the list in engine controls). By default these control all engines unless you select specific engine like mentioned in quoted post.

But do not bind both of these controls. Choose which method you want to use.

On 2/8/2019 at 8:26 PM, Lazduc said:

I have not had too much luck with this game.  Numerous errors.  As I mentioned in another post, first time starting the game was very unstable, crashed etc.  

I have found most problems maybe due to this old computer.  Mainly the video card...only 1gb memory.  There are two 1gb cards in sli...but not enough.  

Currently my keyboard is missing a number of keys being recognized.  All "F" keys, backspace, and several others do not seem to be enabled, or recognized.

All my system components work perfectly in other games.

There's a lot to unpack here Lazduc. Let's try and help you out.

The instability is definitely a hardware/software issue with your older system. Could be out of date drivers, its definitely the 1GB video card, and SLI has never been ideal in my opinion. No matter which game, it never truly offered the performance benefits that I always thought it should. Keys not being recognized again I would point towards a hardware issue. I've never experienced nor heard of anyone with a stable system having issues binding keys. Are you running some custom software for keybindings or something like that? Maybe you've got a custom profile that's interacting with IL-2? It's hard to know.

I am currently using a TM16000 throttle and joystick.  Several buttons and the throttle handle,  when pushed is recognized partially but go from 0% to 100% back

and forth sporadically.  In the settings I have sucessfully binded the yaw, pitch and roll.  However there are a number of settings,( sure would be nice to 

have a manual describing the correct binding procedures to for each plane) several actions must be combined to allow certain functions.  

For instance...Control of engine 1, and off and on for engine 1, and throttle for engine 1.....confusing mess.  Do all these need to be used to just control the throttle or maybe 

all the other engine 1 items need to be on and used ??  I tried numerous settings and never could get the throttle to operate correctly.  Some of the buttons work properly.

I also would like to know if I want to use a different computer, which I plan too,  can I download everything again?    Took about 3 hours first time and I have a fast connection.

I also noticed that a window pops up and states I should download the latest version.  Thought I have the latest 3.010.

Sorry to be a problem, and I could not determine what category to put this post in.

Laz   

There could be an issue with the stick but I wonder if we're dealing with a power issue here (given your issue with the F-keys). Software like DCS and IL-2 will push your system so while things may be fine basically idling in Windows or playing light games... your PSU may not be keeping up when the power demands go up. Do you have power supply monitoring software installed? I'd watch the 12V and 5V rails to see if they are fluctuating quite a lot.

Throttle should just be throttle. IL-2 caters to a wide variety of folks but your standard HOTAS should work just fine without any tweaking. The extra stuff there are for people with throttle quadrants and that sort of thing. If you see a ton of unbound systems in the controls... those are not at all necessary.

Most of the time with a single throttle system (like many of us have) you can use the 1 and 2 keys to select engine 1, select engine 2, have both selected, etc.

You can definitely copy between systems and just run IL-2 wherever you need it to. The latest version is 3.010b which came out a few days after 3.010. Patches come out typically every month and a half (though not always).

21 hours ago, Lazduc said:

SShrike,

I have been using my old system.  Has 2600k,8gb,2x6800/1gb.  The system I will use has 4790k, 32gb,1060/6gb, 2ssd-500gb+500gb.  I just copied the full install of IL-2 16.9gb

onto a 32gb usb drive.  I will load it onto the 4790 system.  

I had built a 8700k, 2x1080ti's, all the bells and whistles to run DCS.  I got a little disappointed with that software and decided to get the 4790 system and put DCS on it instead of 

putting DCS on the 8700k system.  I will save the 8700k system for another project.  My reason was DCS is always in a state of confusion and constant tweaking just to get it to run.

I did not want to constantly have to reconfigure/tweak/remove/reinstall etc,etc, etc...on that super expensive system and possibly break it.

I got a great price on that 4790k .  It is almost new..paid the guy 600.00 which was a steal.  It should run every game out there. Plus VR.  The 8700k system with the 2x1080ti will 

definitely run everything.  I have not even plugged in my Oculus Rift.  I am 75 and hope it wont make me ill.  I did try it in the store where I purchased it and I felt ok but that was 

not in a flight sim and was only for 10 minutes.  Guess that is what Dramamine is good for.  LOL  Its snowing so I can spend tomorrow playing with this.

I live in Vancouver, Washington.

Laz   

I'm really confused with the hardware setup. Why is DCS on one system and IL-2 on another system? Put everything on that 8700K.

Edited by ShamrockOneFive
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the suggestions and questions.  I will try and explain.  My 2600k system is the system I usually use for everything.  It works fine in everything except IL-2.  It works when I 

get on the Steam Account and load and play Cliffs of Dover Blitz.  Everything works.  When I try and play BOS,BOK or Bom is where the problems begin.  Keyboard, bindings and unstable

play.  When I use the game-installer icon for IL-2 to start the game, the above mentioned problems arise.  This is on the 2600k system.

I copied the entire IL-2 folder from the 2600k system to a flash drive and today I will copy it to my 4790k system.  I will use the 8700k system for another project.  I will also put DCS on the 4790k system.  As I said earlier, the only version of DCS I have on the 2600k is their free trial version.  I also have Flaming Cliffs2 on that system.  I have most of the modules for DCS but have never downloaded everything.  The reason is  I have been waiting for a good stable version.  Over the years they have made a few versions that were somewhat stable but only to change/reprogram a major section, moving to 3 different versions and just being too buggy to fool with.  Now since they have rewritten almost all of the base program , the older products have problems as they are no longer compatible with the newer changes.  If the 3rd party developers do not rewrite their code to operate with the newer ( and still buggy) base world,  those products become unstable and do not work with the latest maps.  For these reasons I elected not to download any of their newer code/products.  I have purchased many of their products...and now hope finally they ALL will be stable and operate correctly without all the beta/stable iterations.  When I feel comfortable with solid verifiable information as too the stability of their entire product line  I then,  will download all I have paid for from DCS.  

I will keep you posted on the 4790k system. 

Laz 

Hey Lazduc, it seems you're getting plenty of input on most of your issues here, so I'll keep mine limited to the engine settings.

I'm using a HOTAS, and I'm assuming you're doing likewise, so a stick and a single throttle or throttle lever. If this is the case;

Throttle - assign this to your throttle axis, and leave the numbered throttles unassigned.

Select engine 1 - by default this is the 1 key, pressing this tells the sim you want to adjust that engine ONLY

Select engine 2 - as above.

Multiple engine control - by default this is the 0 key, and pressing this tells the sim you want your input to register for every engine at once. Best used for flying, for example, a 110 under normal conditions, where you want to operate the throttles simultaneously anyway. 

With VR, you'd probably want to rebind these keys; I fly with a monitor and TrackIR, but it's useful not to have to glance down to find the right key, so I've bound mine to what would normally be the POV switch on my stick. Left is engine 1, right is engine 2, and up is control all engines. I only ever actually have to use this ability if an engine is damaged and needs to be shut down and feathered, so even then it's worth considering what you want out of this title in the first place. If you're in it for a full sim experience, by all means spend the time laying it out the way you like; otherwise it'd probably more fuss than it's worth, and in that case I'd recommend just leaving the default bindings just in case they're needed. 

It might be that none of this is news to you at all, but hey, it pays to make sure!

9 hours ago, Lazduc said:

Thanks for the suggestions and questions.  I will try and explain.  My 2600k system is the system I usually use for everything.  It works fine in everything except IL-2.  It works when I 

get on the Steam Account and load and play Cliffs of Dover Blitz.  Everything works.  When I try and play BOS,BOK or Bom is where the problems begin.  Keyboard, bindings and unstable

play.  When I use the game-installer icon for IL-2 to start the game, the above mentioned problems arise.  This is on the 2600k system.

I copied the entire IL-2 folder from the 2600k system to a flash drive and today I will copy it to my 4790k system.  I will use the 8700k system for another project.  I will also put DCS on the 4790k system.  As I said earlier, the only version of DCS I have on the 2600k is their free trial version.  I also have Flaming Cliffs2 on that system.  I have most of the modules for DCS but have never downloaded everything.  The reason is  I have been waiting for a good stable version.  Over the years they have made a few versions that were somewhat stable but only to change/reprogram a major section, moving to 3 different versions and just being too buggy to fool with.  Now since they have rewritten almost all of the base program , the older products have problems as they are no longer compatible with the newer changes.  If the 3rd party developers do not rewrite their code to operate with the newer ( and still buggy) base world,  those products become unstable and do not work with the latest maps.  For these reasons I elected not to download any of their newer code/products.  I have purchased many of their products...and now hope finally they ALL will be stable and operate correctly without all the beta/stable iterations.  When I feel comfortable with solid verifiable information as too the stability of their entire product line  I then,  will download all I have paid for from DCS.  

I will keep you posted on the 4790k system. 

Laz 

You can't just copy entire il2 forlder from one pc and paste it to another, it doesn't work that way, you need to do fresh install.

Your 4790k system is ok for playing on monitor but for VR you need to move to i7 8700k system.

2600k system is not good enough for such games.

Both il2 and dcs should work perfect on i7 8700k/gtx1080ti system and every other project you aim to do it, they can all be on single pc but you need to do proper installation of those games not just copy it form one pc to another.

Go on that i7 8700k system and do proper istallation by downloading il2 and dcs via their launchers or steam or just find someone to do it for you.

54 minutes ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

You can't just copy entire il2 forlder from one pc and paste it to another, it doesn't work that way, you need to do fresh install.

Incorrect!  I can confirm that you can just copy the files to another drive and it works just fine. Obviously make sure that you create a new shortcut to the exe.

2 hours ago, AeroAce said:

Incorrect!  I can confirm that you can just copy the files to another drive and it works just fine. Obviously make sure that you create a new shortcut to the exe.

Yes on the same system, switching to other pc is problem where game config files memorise old pc specs.

Clean install is always better option!

2 hours ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

Yes on the same system, switching to other pc is problem where game config files memorise old pc specs.

Clean install is always better option!

Yes clean install is always the best!!! But you can do it to another pc as long as you have all the credentials correct!

You can install this game on many PCs and it is fine! But you can only log into one account at a time!

Edited by AeroAce