KroatJG52

Game is Flickering in First Person View in Flight Records

*I'm re-posting this here since it hasn't been noticed in Graphics Bugs thread. 

Brief description: Distorted textures or possibly artifacts popping in and out; occurrence seems random.
Detailed description, conditions: Graphical bug that appears as quick flashes of distorted textures or graphical artifacts that occupy the entire screen for a frame or so. This graphical bug was not present in the actual game-play; it was only present in the replay footage. This never occurred until the most recent update was installed. Furthermore, my old replays have most of their audio missing after the update. To be clear I am not saying this was necessarily caused by the update. I just think it's a very strong possibility. 
Additional assets (videos, screenshots, logs): https://youtu.be/fKxS4f46Wfs
Your PC config data (OS, drivers, specific software): DxDiag.txt

Update (2/6/19): After some more testing I've discovered that the graphical bug only occurs in cockpit view (Ctrl+F1); however not when simply viewing using F1. This makes me think it may be related to TrackIR/FoV. This is incredibly frustrating because it means I can't really create videos utilizing the replay system. 

Edited by KroatJG52

@KroatJG52I'm sorry to inform you that major updates always break earlier recordings and make earlier tracks partly or fully unusable.

20 hours ago, sniperton said:

@KroatJG52I'm sorry to inform you that major updates always break earlier recordings and make earlier tracks partly or fully unusable.

Thank you for the reply; I wasn't aware of the way old replays were affected by updates. That said, the graphics bug I described is still affecting new replays created after the update. 

I have this also

only notice it like mentioned in cockpit view (Ctrl+F1)

all the other views work fine.

Edited by il2crashesnfails

On 2/7/2019 at 6:16 PM, KroatJG52 said:

Update (2/6/19): After some more testing I've discovered that the graphical bug only occurs in cockpit view (Ctrl+F1); however not when simply viewing using F1. This makes me think it may be related to TrackIR/FoV. This is incredibly frustrating because it means I can't really create videos utilizing the replay system. 

You should check your key mapping as I cannot find any listing for Ctrl+F1. I only show F1 for player's cockpit.

There is a LCtrl+F1 listed for Camera track.       :joy:

Edited by Arfsix

1 hour ago, Arfsix said:

You should check your key mapping as I cannot find any listing for Ctrl+F1. I only show F1 for player's cockpit.

There is a LCtrl+F1 listed for Camera track.       :joy:

Sry I meant Camera Track when I said LCtrl+F1. I've played around with the camera settings, but the issue persists. Strangely, I also get an occasional texture flicker on my aircraft while I am recording--and only when recording. It happens as soon as I start recording. So the large graphical bug occurs only when viewing a recording, but the small texture flicker occurs while recording. It seems that the graphical bug is somehow connected with the recording/replay system. I'm sure I'll figure out what is causing it eventually.:fool: 

12 hours ago, KroatJG52 said:

Sry I meant Camera Track when I said LCtrl+F1. I've played around with the camera settings, but the issue persists. Strangely, I also get an occasional texture flicker on my aircraft while I am recording--and only when recording. It happens as soon as I start recording. So the large graphical bug occurs only when viewing a recording, but the small texture flicker occurs while recording. It seems that the graphical bug is somehow connected with the recording/replay system. I'm sure I'll figure out what is causing it eventually.:fool: 

let me know if you figure it out

I updated all my gpu drivers

I also noticed the issue, the image is flickering making impossible to make a video from the cockpit view. Actually it makes also viewing the track painful.

Edited by JG27_Kornezov

14 hours ago, JG27_Kornezov said:

I also noticed the issue, the image is flickering making impossible to make a video from the cockpit view. Actually it makes also viewing the track painful.

i noticed if i press "f1" it stops but the view is zoomed in

the only way around this that i can think of is to dual record

use fraps or whatever to record cockpit view.

3 hours ago, il2crashesnfails said:

the only way around this that i can think of is to dual record

use fraps or whatever to record cockpit view.

Yeah, I was thinking of just using OBS to record live footage. Too bad since recording live can affect gameplay performance. ☹️

On 2/13/2019 at 8:28 PM, KroatJG52 said:

Yeah, I was thinking of just using OBS to record live footage. Too bad since recording live can affect gameplay performance. ☹️

true it can affect gameplay

Posted (edited)

Having the same issue here. Flickering in the first person view in flight records. Interestingly, it goes away if I hit F1 again.

Anyway, I hope the replays get the love they deserve. They're a huge part of why I love this game.

Also, @KroatJG52, it might help the developers if you summarize the issue in the subject in this thread to something like "Game is flickering in first person view in flight records". I'm not trying to be critical or anything, just trying to help the developers. It helps the devs to see the summary of issues in subjects (speaking as a dev myself). It might also help to get the issue noticed and fixed sooner than later since they'll see the issue right away in the subject rather than having to read through our comments to find out what's happening.

Again, just trying to help. The flight replays are such a huge part of this game for me as I assume they are for a lot of us.

Edited by terrible_pilot

Same issue here. Recorded today so no issues with updating affecting the actual replay...

Posted (edited)

I'm having the same issue. The Cockpit view thread offered this, 

"Try going to your Nvidia Control Panel and then set: Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames equal to 1. " was set at 1, trying to use 3D setting instead (Nvida site said higher number should reduce glitching)

update: after updating G force, the glitching is much less frequent, but still there. Flight records prior to the update still glitch in cntrl-F1 to unusable.

Edited by MF_pennsy

Posted (edited)

Same for me. After I updated to latest driver from ge force, the problem seemed go away, although it seems fixed entirely for me... so far at least.

Edited by terrible_pilot

Posted (edited)

I spoke too soon. I'm seeing it now in a replay. So it seems that the bug (if it is a bug) is intermittent.

Edited by terrible_pilot

Posted (edited)

This is in the Havoc so it's not Plane-related... 

... and yet sometimes I even forget that it happens. It's definitely still there though!

By the way, having messed around with 'max pre-rendered frames' it makes little or no difference for me. I've tried it with ALL the permutations. The bummer is that it doesn't happen in gameplay, ONLY in the replay (which is what I use... A LOT).

Edited by Raptorattacker

Try F2, then Ctrl+F1.  For me It seems to help, doesn't get rid of it but goes from like you have to about once every 20-30 sec.s

I even have the problem if I use F3 before F2. 

Hope they fix it soon 

Good Luck

It's STILL happening... sometimes it has even translated to third person view when flicking directly off've the cockpit view as well recently. That's not SO much of an issue as I've only seen it a couple of times but the Ctrl+F1 COMPLETELY ruined a video I was trying to compile yesterday making ANY cockpit scenes totally unusable and so leaving me unable to use the footage. PLEASE can we have something addressed? Even a heads - up about being aware of it?...

Rap :scratch_one-s_head::dash:

This time in a 190, only last night. I can only hope that the issue IS being addressed and will disappear with the latest upcoming update?...

I thought this went away for me after a geforce driver update, and it did seem to be less (not sure why), but I'm still seeing this problem too. I only experience it in the main first person view (CTRL + F1). I do not see it in the zoomed in first person view (F1) or any other view, but I think others said they were seeing it in other views too. Just adding my experience.

I'm really hoping the devs see and fix this too. There are actually a few bugs with flight records that seem to get less love than other problems, unfortunately. I understand that they have to prioritize things. I'm just hoping that after BoBP release they can focus more on some of these things. The flight records are big part of the fun.

I don't think the devs want to even touch it because there has been no communication from them. It looks like a tough problem to solve and they cannot even fix much simpler problems (like double-loading aircraft skins in replays or airfield buildings still popping-up into existence on take-off). I suspect the devs don't fully understand the software code they inherited because its long and tortuous past resulted in immense "technical debt" that's difficult to overcome even for math and programming geniuses like them. How else to explain lack of relatively simple fixes that I alluded to ? That's not a slight against the devs, it is just a that a technical legacy they have to deal with is probably enormous. I hope that Me 262 will be a resounding success which will bring many new customers into the community resulting in cash infusion which can then be redirecting into fixing  those annoying bugs, chief among them the flickering cockpit view.

27 minutes ago, WheelwrightPL said:

I don't think the devs want to even touch it because there has been no communication from them.

I haven't been around here as long as others and I also cannot speak for the team. But I've been here long enough to know that the devs can't always respond to every bug that comes into the forum. That doesn't mean they're not aware of the problems and it doesn't mean they won't be fixed. I'd like acknowledgment from them as much as the next person, but maybe the team's too busy to respond, so I've accepted that communication doesn't always happen but that doesn't mean they're not aware of problems that need to be fixed.

40 minutes ago, WheelwrightPL said:

It looks like a tough problem to solve and they cannot even fix much simpler problems (like double-loading aircraft skins in replays or airfield buildings still popping-up into existence on take-off). I suspect the devs don't fully understand the software code they inherited because its long and tortuous past resulted in immense "technical debt" that's difficult to overcome even for math and programming geniuses like them. How else to explain lack of relatively simple fixes that I alluded to ?

I'm not trying to be combative but I think you should give their team more credit. Saying that they're not aware of the issue or that it's too difficult for them just because they haven't responded in a forum is only an assumption and it's a little rude to assume that they're not knowledgeable enough of their own products to fix the problems.

This is just my opinion, but even if this team inherited some older code from old projects, we don't know how much of that legacy code was used and we don't know how much of it was fixed/improved by now. I highly doubt that they inherited the code, put new polish on it, and released a flight sim without understanding how their code works, whether legacy or new code. These are new sims from a team consisting of some members from 1C and some from 777 and I'm 99% sure that they understand their own code.

IMHO, people should keep raising the issue for bugs that are important to them, but I think it's safe to say that their team will listen and finish things as they can get to them. Just my own thoughts on it.

• Like 1

It is too early to tell (I flew only one mission) but so far those steps resulted in no screen-flashing in CTRL+F1 view, I also got a nice fps boost:

1) Download latest NVidia drivers, check-off "clean installation", install only the drivers

In Nvidia Control Panel:

1) Set Vsync to Adaptive (as a bonus this produces better fps (when the game's fps falls below monitor's max refresh rate) compared to Vsync-on, and no tearing compared to Vsync-off)

2) Set maximum pre-rendered frames to 1

3) Set power to "maximum"

In game

1) Set VSync to off

2) Set maximum fps cap to off

• Upvote 1