What makes a good realistic battery of Artillery Guns, I have tried several combo's trying to get some good realistic flak for both sides of the Fence. The Flak and AAA seems a little tame compared to other sims, just wondering what type how many etc. to light up the sky.  

35 minutes ago, 51st_FC said:

What makes a good realistic battery of Artillery Guns, I have tried several combo's trying to get some good realistic flak for both sides of the Fence. The Flak and AAA seems a little tame compared to other sims, just wondering what type how many etc. to light up the sky.  

Are you looking for:

• realistic artillery that attacks ground targets?
  • Or cool looking (from a pilot's perspective) artillery that attacks ground targets?
  • Or realistic AAA that attacks enemy planes?
  • Or extremely accurate and dense AAA that attacks enemy planes?
  • Or something different?
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, [TWB]Sketch said:

Are you looking for:

• realistic artillery that attacks ground targets?
  • Or cool looking (from a pilot's perspective) artillery that attacks ground targets?
  • Or realistic AAA that attacks enemy planes?
  • Or extremely accurate and dense AAA that attacks enemy planes?
  • Or something different?

Extremely Realistic accurate and dense AAA that attacks enemy Planes would be nice Thank you

The main problem that I find with AAA is that in the game it has been designed to be more accurate than in real life so that one doesn't have to have so many actual guns. Remember that each of those guns (and searchlights if you include them) will have their own AI logic running and using up processor, so lowering the number and raising the accuracy is a great compromise for the mission designer.

If you really want to turn the sky black, find artillery appropriate for the altitude you want and then add a number of 3-gun batteries each at low AI level so that they're not so deadly as to be no fun at all. I find that the large caliber AAA guns are best for flak bursts as the medium and low calibre guns tend to look more like MG tracer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TP_Silk said:

The main problem that I find with AAA is that in the game it has been designed to be more accurate than in real life so that one doesn't have to have so many actual guns. Remember that each of those guns (and searchlights if you include them) will have their own AI logic running and using up processor, so lowering the number and raising the accuracy is a great compromise for the mission designer.

If you really want to turn the sky black, find artillery appropriate for the altitude you want and then add a number of 3-gun batteries each at low AI level so that they're not so deadly as to be no fun at all. I find that the large caliber AAA guns are best for flak bursts as the medium and low calibre guns tend to look more like MG tracer.

Thank You. 

1 hour ago, TP_Silk said:

^^ This is exactly why I asked the questions I asked. Thanks TP_Silk.

• Like 1

For the “puffy flak” I use Normal AI level. At least against players Normal can’t really hit much and it fires more rapidly than Low, so you get a more cinematic effect. Another thing to try is dawn or dusk—the tracer fire really lights up and looks amazing.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

For the “puffy flak” I use Normal AI level. At least against players Normal can’t really hit much and it fires more rapidly than Low, so you get a more cinematic effect. Another thing to try is dawn or dusk—the tracer fire really lights up and looks amazing.

What Guns do you use for that puffy flak I have tried the Flak 36/38/52k / 71k/   doesn't seem to be what I am looking for. 

I like Flak37 for Germany and the lowest numbered -k for Russian (52k?). I use Jim’s defence switch but with two attack areas inside—one for puffy flak out to 4.5km and another for tracer-based AA with shorter range like 1.5km.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alonzo said:

I like Flak37 for Germany and the lowest numbered -k for Russian (52k?). I use Jim’s defence switch but with two attack areas inside—one for puffy flak out to 4.5km and another for tracer-based AA with shorter range like 1.5km.

I need to find out about the Defence switch I knew I was missing something My flak and AAA do nothing. Thank You Alonzo for taking time to reply.  I figured it out Jim's being the Manual & Vapor's smart Ai video got it going The skies will never be the same!! 

Edited by 51st_FC
I'm Stupid, It's all Good.