EAF_Ribbon

PTO/Korea/ETO... next il2 expansion thread?

1 minute ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

I am also of the opinion that Midway is not the best first battle to go to for the Pacific.  Need areas that have land and sea.  Carriers would be great but are not a necessity at first to go to the Pacific.

I made a comparison of several Pacific battle areas to the Bodenplatte map on the following post.

They are good comparisons. From the images the best are New Guinea and the Solomons. The Marianas are good too because the operations around them involved both the Japanese Carrier group and their land asset on the islands. Okinawa got the problem of having no japanese airfield active on map...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, =27=Davesteu said:

I'm highly interested in pretty much all aspects of the Asiatic-Pacific-Theatre and consequently that's what I'd like to see.
Unfortunately the number of viable scenarios for a sim-game like IL2 is much smaller than some might think. For example, only very few of the well-known battles fought in the Pacific Ocean Areas would serve a purpose at all and the number is literally watered down once more by their operative circumstances (Midway: only a few days of campaign, game-performance aspects; Okinawa: size of map, number of ships involved, basically only fighter missions or Tokko for Japanese side, game-performance aspects).

I already posted this, but I think it's the by far best choice:

Papua - New Guinea Campaign 1942 - 1943
117720228_PNG-Air-war-1942-43(2).thumb.png.a067bfc8a3b05c887435c267cecc0ef4.png

A subsequent "Battle of the Coral Sea"-pack would nicely complement the PNG campaign and satisfy the naval crowd.

I wouldn't mind a small Nomonhan/Khalkhin Gol pack or the Spanish Civil War (purely for the Do 17E/F and SB-2), but I don't think it's ever going to happen. Channel or North Africa (except Tunisia) are not of interest to me, while Italy 1943/44 I'd be ok with - but all that only after a proper Asiatic-Pacific-Theatre release.

Not bad, you've got my attention!

1 hour ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

I am also of the opinion that Midway is not the best first battle to go to for the Pacific.  Need areas that have land and sea.  Carriers would be great but are not a necessity at first to go to the Pacific.

I made a scaled comparison of several Pacific battle areas to the Bodenplatte map on the following post.

+8 rep.......Solomon islands and New Guinea looks best option imo

I’ve said before but the Solomons could be 3/4’ish scale (distance between islands, not islands themselves) and wouldn’t be apparent to the player unless you fly the Slot in real life.  

This would enhance play allowing early and mid-war campaigns. Watchtower through Black Sheep, to Rabaul.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, F/JG300_Faucon said:

Battle of France, please...

After almost 20 years, we've never seen it.

There’s a reason for that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, F/JG300_Faucon said:

CloD 5.0 and Wings over the Reich (WotR) are supposed to do that in the near future. WotR beats CloD hands down when it comes to single Player career. BoX is very unlikely to ever model France.

9 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Just to be clear, when say Pacific I mean the Southwest Pacific.  New Guinea or the siege of Rabaul.   Not Midway fought over and over again, or Guadalcanal's trans-pacific flights with no effective way to significantly speed up the flight times.

Yeah that's kinda my line too. I think we should start with a mainly land-based PTO. Carrier operations within a vast blue ocean seems to me like the kind of thing that would be a radical departure, from the development side of things.

Maybe a "battle of land based PTO" thingy to begin with, then a carrier-based second installment?

Ok, if I have to go Pacific, then I'd choose Malaya... I remember flying campaigns over Malaya with the old IL2 and really enjoyed it.

Flying as RAF was a real challenge against the Japanese opposition.

See aircraft types below...

RAF

Buffaloes

Blenheim IF

Blenheim IV

Beaufort

Hudson II

Swordfish

Catalina

Walrus

Japanese

Ki 43

Ki 44

Ki 27

A5M

A6M

Ki 51

Ki 46

Ki 21

Ki 48

H6K

G3M

G4M

These are the main types, but there are more types historically...

20 minutes ago, III/JG53Frankyboy said:

i throw in the Six-Days-War - jets without (working) Missiles :fly:

LOL. Let´s see we have until now collected suggestions ranging from spanish civil war until six-days-war. 1C-GS has a lot to do in the future 🙂 I hope they release their plans somewhere in the next 12 weeks to temporarily end these speculations.

Edited by sevenless

1 hour ago, F/JG300_Faucon said:

They would need to enhace the rearview mirror tech by 10x to really see the battle of France in more detail.

• Haha 1

For me, mostly in order of priority:

• PTO. Fascinating theatre that hasn't been explored nearly enough. Plenty of available options that don't involve carrier ops... but carrier ops would be absolutely wonderful. 
  • BoB (Battle of Britain). Absolutely the best air battle of the war with thoroughly iconic locations. We don't have truly early war, so that would be wonderful.
  • BoF (Battle of France). If BoB is taken, then let's do BoF. Plenty of interesting airplanes on both sides.
  • MTO. Another fascinating theatre, with some very interesting aircraft and tactical scenarios. Could be in North Africa, Malta, Sicily, or of course Italy itself as a later war scenario. All would be utterly fascinating with a fun planeset.
  • BoB (Battle of Belarus/Bagration): late war eastern front. Finally an eastern setting where the VVS hardware actually matches and even outclasses the LW planeset (Yak-3!!).
  • And then I could see a plethora of opportunities for western front maps. Instead of selling full BoX modules, sell maps and single player careers for those maps.

All great options.

1 hour ago, F/JG300_Faucon said:

Agreed, it would be a great battle to have, involving early war British, French, and German aircraft we don't have now. An opportunity to have the Mk1 Hurricanes and Spits without doing Battle of Britain (though that would be wonderful too).

What may be an issue would be having the necessary performance data of the french aircraft, not sure how available those are. 

But either way, it would be a good original theatre to add to the sim, and beautiful terrain to boot. :)

32 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Yankee_ said:

or of course Italy itself as a later war scenario.

Think of the maps we would be flying in!

S! All

I believe Jason said they are having problems getting translations for the Japanese flight manuals and instruments. I might be wrong.  

The basic problem with most PTO operations is navigation. You have to know the wind direction, how far you have flown, basically the direction you have flown and for how long , where your carrier is headed and at what speed.  Now just hope you can fly there with enough fuel before it gets dark.

The best first attempt at PTO would be the battle of the Coral Sea. Lots of Islands for bases and landmarks. It could work out very nice.

Personally I want a B25 on the Hornet. 😉

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SJ_Butcher said:

I think Il2 great battles should one reach as much as first generation planes

Yes !! A battle of France/Belgium/Netherlands. I'd love that. Would be an instant purchase.

• Upvote 1

Burma, I covered this in the other thread, its a good entry level theater and a real melting pot of allied Aircraft with several key over laps with Finland:

Brewster

Hawk 75

Blenheim

Hurricane

To Start it off all you really need is a couple Japanese Aircraft Ki-43 and Ki 48, the Ki 27 was very present early on as well, but idk that would want to model that plane, the Ki 44 was also in the area early on in limited numbers, and was in increasing numbers as the war went on, eventually the Ki 84 was present as well, and they could of course do other planes, the Big thing is that a lot of the potential Allied plane set is already done for a lot of the Theater, and a relatively simple map with no Ships could be done to get there feet wet on the Japanese, as there was almost no IJN navy Air presence over Burma (No Zero's), that could be left for later, most of the other theater that the Japanese operated in also had IJA air present so doing Burma fist would get there primary assists in the can

• Like 1

14 hours ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

Soo, what battle/theatre you would like to see next in il2:GB (after BoBp)?

I'd like to see more of the western front covered before we move to another theater, both for their own sake and also so one can fight through several campaigns in career mode like what we can do on the eastern front (BoM-BoS-BoK) as well as a number of other factors which would work in it's favour. I'd start with Normandy then do something post BoBP like north Germany.

45 minutes ago, BRADYS555 said:

Burma, I covered this in the other thread, its a good entry level theater and a real melting pot of allied Aircraft with several key over laps with Finland:

If you haven't already seen it you might like this thread:

16 minutes ago, HBPencil said:

I'd like to see more of the western front covered before we move to another theater, both for their own sake and also so one can fight through several campaigns in career mode like what we can do on the eastern front (BoM-BoS-BoK) as well as a number of other factors which would work in it's favour. 

I like that idea. Say 4/44 to 9/44. Preparations to Isolate the Normandy Infrastructure - Invasion - Fighting the beachhead - Moving Inland and Breakout - The great swan, all possible.

All tactical activities, well within the limitations of the engine. Could work and we´ll get the option to include Spitfire XII, Typhoons, P47 Razorbacks, P51 B/C, Marauders, early Spitfire IX, Me 109 G6 late, Fw-190 A6/A7, Ju 88s/188s, Mosquitos, you name it. perhaps Blenheims and Beaufighters. Me likes that, especially because that would prolong the career from 4/44 to 4/45 🙂

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HBPencil said:

I'd like to see more of the western front covered before we move to another theater, both for their own sake and also so one can fight through several campaigns in career mode like what we can do on the eastern front (BoM-BoS-BoK) as well as a number of other factors which would work in it's favour. I'd start with Normandy then do something post BoBP like north Germany.

If you haven't already seen it you might like this thread:

Its a cool thread but there were no Zero's in Burma

All i would like to see before other expansions is a simple expansion on the Moscow map and to make the city of Moscow a flyable zone to do some nice "What if" Scenarios.

I think the only "what if" involved there is "what if" they had the time and resources to put all that effort into modeling Moscow for basically zero pay-off.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, III/JG53Frankyboy said:

i throw in the Six-Days-War - jets without (working) Missiles :fly:

The Six Day War eh?  That’s got legs.  

I know it's not gonna happen, but I would like to see... 

Battle of Spain (Spanish civil war). 

Battle of North Atlantic (Including Northen Norway, Finland and Russia.)

Battle of North Africa

• Upvote 2

I wonder how many more Japanese people will buy the PTO entry in BOX that I assume is the next product for the studio.  It would be really cool to see a larger sub-community of them form around the game as other nationalities have.

11 hours ago, F/JG300_Faucon said:

It featured in Luftwaffe Commander...

Image result for luftwaffe commander game

8 hours ago, sevenless said:

I like that idea. Say 4/44 to 9/44. Preparations to Isolate the Normandy Infrastructure - Invasion - Fighting the beachhead - Moving Inland and Breakout - The great swan, all possible.

All tactical activities, well within the limitations of the engine. Could work and we´ll get the option to include Spitfire XII, Typhoons, P47 Razorbacks, P51 B/C, Marauders, early Spitfire IX, Me 109 G6 late, Fw-190 A6/A7, Ju 88s/188s, Mosquitos, you name it. perhaps Blenheims and Beaufighters. Me likes that, especially because that would prolong the career from 4/44 to 4/45 🙂

This would be the best option imo if the Pacific is delayed again. It makes the most sense and would extend the playability of the western front greatly.

I'd love to fly over the channel and shoot up some trains in my P-47 D-22 and then hop back across the channel to land. It'd also be sweet to help support the landings on D-Day and destroy tons of ground targets.

Imo Normandy and the liberation of France would be the best expansion to date.

You'd get the weeks leading up to normandy, then the invasion, then the expansion east and west (Falaise Pocket, etc)

It'd be a great expansion and a very fitting addition to Bodenplatte.

P-47D-22

P-51 B/C

Spitfire (or Mosquito?)

Typhoon

B-26 Marauder (Collector)

Bf-109 G6 (Late)

Fw 190 A7

etc 

etc

Honestly I'm salivating at the thought of this becoming reality. It makes the most sense if Pacific is delayed and would sell very well imo.

Edited by Legioneod
  • Like 2

I agree with Sevenless. This would be a great expansion and it is where EAW and Jane's really shone!

Edited by Elem
addition

3 hours ago, Elem said:

It also contain missions in the Spanish civil war. 

Still have it. 

19 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Loke said:

It also contain missions in the Spanish civil war. 

Still have it. 

Yes, I loved it for the SCW content and the unusual aircraft you flew. Crude by todays standard but I would play through it constantly.

New Guinea.

No need to model carriers or other AI intensive ships.  The time frame of the New Guinea Campaign would mean a long and satisfying single player experience, as well as lots of fodder for online.  It has a varied and interesting plane set.

Plus I really want to fly my favorite Japanese aircraft, the Ki 61, in this sim.

elskiubikb4.jpg

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, F/JG300_Faucon said:

We'll have to rely on France's official history to work out the campaign for that. 

18 hours ago, F/JG300_Faucon said:

Unfortunately. It would be a dream comes true if it was by actual sim standards.

18 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

There’s a reason for that.

18 hours ago, sevenless said:

CloD 5.0 and Wings over the Reich (WotR) are supposed to do that in the near future. WotR beats CloD hands down when it comes to single Player career. BoX is very unlikely to ever model France.

Could both of you elaborate a bit please ? I didn't know anything about that WotR thing, thank you for that info. And about CloD, should I understand that this series is keeping improving and expanding ? Why not a BoX over France/Benelux early war ? We'd have most of the map work done yet though ?..

6 hours ago, Elem said:

Haha, didn't know about that neither, looks great, if you provide a time-machine also. But will my Pentium 200 MMX be able to run it ? 😂

25 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

We'll have to rely on France's official history to work out the campaign for that. 

Of course, propaganda was at work in France also, but what about all other countries then ? And we have historians in France too, you know..  

I'm pretty sure we can get relevant data on french aircrafts. The only ones which could be a problem would be the Arsenal VG 30-33 and the latest Bloch 150 series and Dewoitine D520-530 series, but those didn't see combat. (Only 16 or 18 Arsenal VG 33 if memory serves).

Still those could be modeled :

- Maurane-Saulnier MS.406

- Bloch MB.152

- Hawk H.75

- Dewoitine D.520

- Potez 630-633

- Bréguet 691-693

- Lioré & Olivier LéO.451

We have a frog' eaters community who could handle the translations.

Eventually it's a decisive part of WWII history there, and despite the land warfare issue, was a really disputed air battle despite the bad use of french aircrafts (particularly the close air support ones, which were no less than sacrificed in a plain stupid way..)

couv-aj-hs-30-grande.jpg

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Solmyr said:

Could both of you elaborate a bit please ? I didn't know anything about that WotR thing, thank you for that info. And about CloD, should I understand that this series is keeping improving and expanding ? Why not a BoX over France/Benelux early war ? We'd have most of the map work done yet though ?..

Hi, as for WoTR, look here: http://www.wingsoverthereich.com/

Some impressions here: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/09/28/the-flare-path-bigginings/

CLoD development updates here: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/121-updates/

Why not BoX for France or BoB you ask? Well, my guess is that it commercially doesn´t make sense for either sim to canibalize the other sim as long as there are other theatres of war still left untouched.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Legioneod said:

This would be the best option imo if the Pacific is delayed again. It makes the most sense and would extend the playability of the western front greatly.

I'd love to fly over the channel and shoot up some trains in my P-47 D-22 and then hop back across the channel to land. It'd also be sweet to help support the landings on D-Day and destroy tons of ground targets.

Imo Normandy and the liberation of France would be the best expansion to date.

You'd get the weeks leading up to normandy, then the invasion, then the expansion east and west (Falaise Pocket, etc)

It'd be a great expansion and a very fitting addition to Bodenplatte.

P-47D-22

P-51 B/C

Spitfire (or Mosquito?)

Typhoon

B-26 Marauder (Collector)

Bf-109 G6 (Late)

Fw 190 A7

etc 

etc

Honestly I'm salivating at the thought of this becoming reality. It makes the most sense if Pacific is delayed and would sell very well imo.

Since the team mentioned that they want to make someday late VVS planes (and it would be shame to leave out yak3 or La7), I would like to see some late war scenario with VVS planes combined with the USAAF planes, rather than have new eastern scenario someday again.

.....and if they decide to include Ta152H I would be more than happy

2 late VVS planes

2 late USAAF planes (with the best engines and fuel)

1 ground attack plane

1 ground attack or bomber AI only

Ta152H

FW190A9

Me109G10

?

?

?

Edited by Voidhunger

1 hour ago, Solmyr said:

Unfortunately. It would be a dream comes true if it was by actual sim standards.

Agreed, I would love a BoF. 

And oh my, I'd never heard of AeroJournal... and there's an app for those of us in exile... thank you. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Voidhunger said:

Since the team mentioned that they want to make someday late VVS planes (and it would be shame to leave out yak3 or La7), I would like to see some late war scenario with VVS planes combined with the USAAF planes, rather than have new eastern scenario someday again.

.....and if they decide to include Ta152H I would be more than happy

2 late VVS planes

2 late USAAF planes (with the best engines and fuel)

1 ground attack plane

1 ground attack or bomber AI only

Ta152H

FW190A9

Me109G10

?

?

?

Agreed. I'd like to see Normandy done first but after Normandy it's be cool to see a Battle of Berlin type scenario where we have American, British, and Russian aircraft.

Edited by Legioneod

4 hours ago, Solmyr said:

Haha, didn't know about that neither, looks great, if you provide a time-machine also. But will my Pentium 200 MMX be able to run it ? 😂

Of course, propaganda was at work in France also, but what about all other countries then ? And we have historians in France too, you know..  

I'm pretty sure we can get relevant data on french aircrafts. The only ones which could be a problem would be the Arsenal VG 30-33 and the latest Bloch 150 series and Dewoitine D520-530 series, but those didn't see combat. (Only 16 or 18 Arsenal VG 33 if memory serves).

Still those could be modeled :

- Maurane-Saulnier MS.406

- Bloch MB.152

- Hawk H.75

- Dewoitine D.520

- Potez 630-633

- Bréguet 691-693

- Lioré & Olivier LéO.451

We have a frog' eaters community who could handle the translations.

Eventually it's a decisive part of WWII history there, and despite the land warfare issue, was a really disputed air battle despite the bad use of french aircrafts (particularly the close air support ones, which were no less than sacrificed in a plain stupid way..)

couv-aj-hs-30-grande.jpg

I played Battle of France scenarious in Clod many times and usealy ppl leve when they have to play with manualy controled 109s like e1 or e3, and no one wonts to play vs them in slow hurri, so you end up with some fantasy spits vs 109e4s, it would not be popular, also they have map in clod and airplanes and are making d.520, i have no interest in BoF, BoB or Africa in this game when ill get that in clod

• Confused 1