You can link ships, but in advance properties, there is no "# in formation" like you see in planes or vehicles.

Seem to be noticing if I have a set of ships traveling on a set of way points that are linked just to the lead ship, all the ships will travel the route, but, if the lead ship gets destroyed, the other ships "loose" their relationship with the way points, and start doing weird stuff.

Is this accurate, or could I be doing something else wrong.  Way points are not too far, ships are not too close...

So basically if the lead ship is destroyed, the next ship in the convoy does not inherit the logic from the lead ship if I understand you correctly.

I started just giving each ship it's own wayponts since it seemed to alleviate another issue I was seeing a while back.

Forget the details now, I just remember getting away from target linking ships to other ships.

I had noticed this a couple of days ago. I think I'll apply Gambit21's fix as he knows what he's doing and has helped me out of a fix many times previously. Now I just need to work out how many ships I can get active within the Kerch' Strait at one time without it overloading the server and causing outdated data hit messages.

yep, that's the same location I am at too.

Only issue i had with separate way points, is the "trial and error" of making sure ships do not run over each other.  From everything I have seen, the game is having a huge issue figuring out what ships are suppose to be doing based on their route.  Even with one ship, I have seen the ship stop, wait, then after a variable amount of time, sometimes as much as a minute, the ship will start up again, and continue the route.  Makes it hard to lay down multiple routes cause the ships do not follow that line as well as planes and vehicles.

For the ships do not use long distance between waypoints even if it's a straight line.

Keep in mind collision logic has changed as well.

Ships act differently when close to each other.

I have a mission on my A-20 campaign where a destroyer pulls up to a cargo ship that was hit with a torpedo to evacuate the crew.

It worked fine for months but with a recent build the destroy went into it's own evasive logic instead of stopping next to the cargo ship.

This was because it was set to get to it's last waypoint before the rescue , then coast to a stop where I wanted it. Well it's coasting got it closer than the logic liked

and it drove a circle around the cargo ship despite having no more waypoint logic activated yet.

I solved the problem by moving the "stop and coast" waypoint further away from the destroyer.

The mission then played out normally again, and the destroyer stopped for a time, then continued on it's way.

I'm guessing this logic will manifest itself if you place ships too closely to one another while under power etc.

Also I think I have some torpedo boats target linked in one of the A-20 missions still.

This is because they're supposed to be taking evasive maneuvers to avoid the A-20's - so any strange behavior

won't seem so in this case since they're supposed to be weaving around.

I have a map where I have 6 gunboats going up a river together. If the lead is killed, other ships *do* inherit the waypoints from the leader and take over, as with a flying convoy, but with the ships it can certainly be finnicky. I've seen situations where a new lead is selected but leaves another 3 boats in the dust after several of them are killed. For my purpose this isn't ideal but is okay -- it's a multiplayer map and they are a target, so they're actually likely to be severely damaged in one go if they get caught by a small squad. But for a campaign style thing where they needed to get where they're going, I don't think it would be okay.