Tank controls are ridiculous

Badger343rd

von_Michelstamm

tried it, was baffled trying to map my tank to a hotas/controller. Maybe later. I think you need to use "look around" to turn the turret? Weirrrrrd.

Edited by von_Michelstamm

It could be one of these solutions they use:

You move the gunners head, the gunner rotates the turret. Sadly he turns his head much faster as the turret rotates, hence, you see black.

You move the turret and the gunner tries to follow it with his head, sadly he has troubles turning as slow, hence, you see black. 

I think that they can skip the nestel part or the control part. It is a bit double. If he takes control of the turret he also looks through the sight. (functional for the sim)

But I can see they do it like it is. That is the most realistic, but only if they "glue" the head to the gunsight so he can not rotate faster as the turret. If they do it like that it is great. An other option is a gunner with an IQ higher as 60 so he knows he sees more if he follows the sight and keeps looking through it 😁

But bigger problem for me is that you can only control the turret with a mouse. It would be great if it was optional and you could select mouse or joystick. 

The other "problem" is that the turret auto returns to the front of the tank if the gunner lets go of the controls. On the one hand this is sometimes handy but most times pretty annoying if you switch a lot between crew members. I most times use the driver cam if  I drive because the tank can get stuck pretty easy on the small munition-crates that lay around the arti positions . (those with the sand-walls around them)

A solution to this problem could be just to skip it or make a separate turret (X-axis) control so we can pre-aim the turret also from the commander (and driver ?) position. In real there are tanks that allow the commander to rotate the turret and besides that, the other crew members can yell to the gunner to point the gun to some direction. This is very handy because now I see the enemy through one of the commander visors, I then have to look to the clock-numbers and then switch to the gunner, de-nestel him to see where the wanted number is to point the turret too and then nestel again so he can aim and service. 

Edited by pa4tim

3 hours ago, pa4tim said:

But bigger problem for me is that you can only control the turret with a mouse. It would be great if it was optional and you could select mouse or joystick. 

Salutations,

One can configure turret control with your joystick through a program named JoyToKey.

Example setup image below. 

JoyToKey.jpg

Edited by Thad
Example Image

I used the software that came with the Thrustmaster but that messed up the plane controls. Could not get them both working good enough without restarting/rebooting (see my post a page back) Is that joy-to-key you show much better ? Is there a good profile available because I do not look forward to spend an other +20 hours to waist on controls 😥

In WT you have a totally separate profile/set-up for tank controls and one for planes. There also is a common section. Besides that you can easy load and save set-ups. In TC all setting seem work both for tanks and planes and maybe that gives conflicts. It is also very hard to switch between profiles. I would not mind if IL-2 made something similar. 

There are also system used variables in IL-2 because you can see some variables with the orange warning and they show the chosen axis or key is in use by, I think, the IL-2 software. 

I now made a very good set up for planes (unexpected but I really really like the planes sim) and for TC use the joystick X,Y for driving, the POV on top to aim. That is good for coarse aiming. The mouse is set up so it aims incredibly slow but very precise and only to do the fine aiming I now use the mouse. So if I nestle the gunner I also switch to mouse. This works well but is a bit cumbersom because if I want to drive and aim I now use the right handed joystick with my left hand.  

But overall, even with this "problem" I think TC is very promising for the future

von_Michelstamm
23 hours ago, pa4tim said:

The other "problem" is that the turret auto returns to the front of the tank if the gunner lets go of the controls. On the one hand this is sometimes handy but most times pretty annoying if you switch a lot between crew members. I most times use the driver cam if  I drive because the tank can get stuck pretty easy on the small munition-crates that lay around the arti positions . (those with the sand-walls around them)

wait, so if i set up partially behind a building using the following position to ambush someone, the moment i switch crew or take hands of controls the turret realigns itself with the tank? 😂.
I'm sure the devs will give this all the attention it deserves eventually. At this point it seems somehow both oversimplified (being forced to sharing aircraft controls and body control mappings) and overly complicated.

1126222142_ScreenShot2019-06-17at10_43_27AM.png.934d935fc1e520d67d3cc3bd02a5d86e.png

• Upvote 1

Try the following.

-You are the commander and see a tank at 7 on the turret ring scale.

-You switch to the gunner and try to set the turret at 7 using the "clock" the gunner has.

-then nestel the gun sight,

-Then take control  of the turret 

By the time you see something it will probably not be the tank at 7 o'clock

As the gunner keeps control then while he looks at the clock, the turret will stay on 12, if you turn his head the turret and clock turn too but you do not see that. As soon as you look at the clock again, the turret follows and goes back to 12 

As the gunner does not control the turret he can look everywhere you want but then the turret does not move. 

I have not yet found a way to let the gunner turn the turret/gun and aim on the target spotted by the commander without looking a long time to a black screen until I see something and then start rotating the gun to the target

Edited by pa4tim

• 9 months later...
FS-Sturmgeist

Hi all,

I had built a control panel just for tanks. I use a three way mini toggle switch for forward and reverse. Eliminating having to constantly pressing buttons to move. I also did the same for steering. Meaning I can travel, navigate, spot and shoot while driving with ease. 

I've also prepared the tank command buttons in case the franchise decides to add that to the list. Aircraft already have pilot commands, tanks can work a hell of a lot more strategically once this is added. 

If any of you are interested, I can build tank or flight control panels. About 80% of costs are for components and materials. The other 20% for my skills 😎. I don't ask for much because I really enjoy building these panels and controls. They really come in handy, especially when your in a battle or dogfight. Takes away you having to use the keyboard and risk losing the enemy because of searching or pressing key combos etc.

For basic flight controls with optional decoder and sliders for trims, toggle switches and push buttons we're talking around 200€. Basic tank controls with toggle switches and push buttons we're looking at around 100€. 

All of course connected through USB with detachable cannon plug for safe storage. USB cable lengths up to 1.5 meters.

I will also start doing some homework with integrating a 3.5 inch touch screen for the panels also for map purposes. Therefore, you wouldn't have to use your monitor to check the map, which again can be risky while in enemy territory since your eyes are away from the battlefield. I'll inform you all once I've accomplished that mission 😉

Look forward to hearing from y'all. 

Best regards!

FS~Sturmgeist

On 3/29/2020 at 1:41 PM, SCG_Neun said:

neat....do you have some photos of the rig?

I second that!  If you have a solid solution, then I’d like to see it and a video too.  I would be interested....

• 3 months later...
On 2/1/2019 at 3:39 PM, Badger343rd said:

If you use joytoKey it works intuitively on a hotas...in fact I got it working just like a real tank simulator(steelbeasts).The thing is I had to go find software...learn how to use it and reconfigure my controls. I should NOT of had to do that. The default set up is just plain stupid. (And broken IMO)

I tried it, as Thad suggested, but i haven't been able to get it to work ... yet.

But the tank controls are ridiculous as for turret etc and it seems something quite unfinished business.

Found that sometimes things like Cntrl + C for open hatch work, and after the next game boot they don't.

And turret + cannon controlling; where do you set that. Under Weapons in Key Settings?

Edited by jollyjack

4 minutes ago, jollyjack said:

I tried it, as Thad suggested, but i haven't been able to get it to work ... yet.

But the tank controls are ridiculous as for turret etc and it seems something is really unfinished business.

Found that sometimes things like Cntrl + C for open hatch work, and after the next game boot they don't.

And turret + canon controlling; where do you set that. Under Weapons in Key Settings?

Default: Fire Primary - Left Mouse Button

Default: Fire Secondary - Right Mouse Button

Aim Cannon: Default: Mouse Control.

KeyboardTank.PNG

• Thanks 1

Thanks Thad. I checked these settings, they mostly were the same, but none works, as if the whole keyboard is not recognized for Tank controls.

Guess something is basically wrong. The keyboard buttons and mousing views etc for plane control in missions work OK ....

Edited by jollyjack

13 minutes ago, Thad said:

You have to 'assign' the commands to your controller buttons and or switches at the kekmapper. :coffee:

What do you mean by assign .... accept? Did that ... no go

Edited by jollyjack

Yes. See image below.

1. I click where the arrow is.

2. Pull the joystick trigger to assign it as my main gun fire and ACCEPT.

Keymapping.PNG

Edited by Thad
  • Thanks 1

yep, done that. funny thing is i just discovered that some times a function works, like radio and engine start.

the rest will not. i set all functions according your table posted above.

Maybe it has to do that i have some added functions in the second row assigned to my warthog units.

One time the fellers all left the tank after L Contrl + E, and after the next game boot it won't anymore ...

Do you know what happens after you press default above? Will all the settings default as with the planes, camera views etc, or only this tank controls page?

PS i have to go off line shortly, thanks for all your help, cheers ...

Default will set everything to default settings.

You seem to have conflicting control assignments. 😕

Edited by Thad

Cause might be that i have windows LTSC?

I just PM'd BlackSix BTW

Edited by jollyjack

On 1/31/2019 at 4:44 PM, gad11 said:

folks are using a joystick for tank crew? i find the keyboard and mouse works best.

I agree that is it 'easier' (but not best) to use the mouse.

Why? It is simply unrealistic and like in an arcade game to aim the turret with mouse control. While using the joystick for turret control feels more realistic and suitable.

Of course one is free to play anyway desired and I also have to admit the using the joystick is 'slightly' more challenging than using a mouse.  

animated-tank.gif

Edited by Thad

Thad, i had some correspondence with the techies, was advised to try default, and a lot keyboard functions now work, not all or always though.

(Even removed al the USB stuff drivers and rebooted windows for a reinstall of USB stuff, was my idea, not much difference.)

Still sometimes f.i the hatch works, but not always. Last game mission i started couldn't get in to the gun view even anymore. 

Now i am even more curious how you work with JoyToKey. Got it installed, but can't figure out how it works ...

But i tried some shooting however LoL. Curious: did you try the TARGET stuff?

PS What i miss in TC is some clever SP player views, like 2 windows in windows during game play: one for the driver, one for the gunner.

As such you can really chase the boogiemen running after their asses while turning the turret, aiming and shooting while driving around. 

I never needed to  use T.A.R.G.E.T.

I ended up developing multiple 'input' files for TC and for the aircraft.

1. I key mapped everything for Tanks and insured that everything worked as I assigned.

2. I then saved a copy of that 'input' folder and placed it in a newly created 'data' folder.

3. I then created a 'TankInput' folder and place the new 'data' folder into a new 'TankInput' folder.

4. I then placed the TankInput folder in my MODS folder for activation and deactivation as a mod.

Now, whenever I want to go tanking.. I simply activate my TankInput mod.

I Deactivate it when I want to use my plane inputs files.

I did the same procedure for Single Engine Planes and Twin Engine Planes.

But this is just me.  :coffee:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

No. The only thing in each separate data folder is the single specific 'input' folder.  The default 'input' folder size is only 250 kbs. No problem.

There is no need to copy the games Data folder. Just the 'input' folder.

The other Data folder is just made to hold your modified 'input' folder(s). It only has your new 'input' folder in it for access as a mod. :coffee:

Edited by Thad

• 6 months later...

Quick question on controls. Can I just used my hotas throttle for forward/stop/reverse? Wasn't sure if it would work. Like center detent is stop and then of course fwd/back. On that line of thought, could you use the paddles on the throttle to turn left and right? Thanks! 

CDRSEABEE
1 hour ago, gad11 said:

Quick question on controls. Can I just used my hotas throttle for forward/stop/reverse? Wasn't sure if it would work. Like center detent is stop and then of course fwd/back. On that line of thought, could you use the paddles on the throttle to turn left and right? Thanks! 

I use my throttle to go forward and reverse. Rudder to turn. Stick to aim gun.

MajorMagee

I have the X52 Pro HOTAS, and mapped the throttle in game to control forward / brake / reverse. It's simply a matter of running the throttle starting from the middle and then to each extreme setting and back to the middle for it to register. Initially the directions ended up reversed, so I had to try it twice to get it right. On the X52 Pro there are throttle stops at 20% and 80% that make it difficult to make smooth speed transitions in those ranges, but I've learned to use the upper stop to differentiate between creeping into position speed, and running full tilt down the road speed. Coming to a quick halt for a shot is a bit of a dance to not over/under shoot the neutral throttle position.

I have steering set as the Z rotation on the joystick, with the X-Y movements controlling the turret rotation and elevation.

The B button is mapped in game to fire the secondary weapons, with the trigger firing the main gun.

Keymap_1.JPG

Keymap_2.JPG

Edited by MajorMagee