CanadaOne

Whiskey & Wings

Just scored a bottle of the good stuff. Not the best, but definitely good bourbon. Goes well with chocolate and Il2s.

Any snobbish whiskey drinkers here?  :drink2:

001.JPG

• Upvote 1

I use whiskey to fuel my P-39L.

I lose a lot of dogfights but my plane is happy. 😀

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

I do like a wee dram of Glenfiddich.  In this case, BoS = Bottle of Scotch.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CanadaOne said:

Just scored a bottle of the good stuff. Not the best, but definitely good bourbon. Goes well with chocolate and Il2s.

Snobbish about the chocolate, (77% cocoa or better, and only the good stuff please) not so much about the whiskey.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm a full on chocohaulic and after the holidays I'm pretty sure I'm now 30% chocolate.

As for the whiskey... I'm more of a scotch person. Glenfiddich 12-year will do nicely! :)

• Upvote 2

Been sober almost 6 years. But I do buy my dad top shelf whisky because he is a true American/boomer. :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Snobbish about the chocolate, (77% cocoa or better, and only the good stuff please) not so much about the whiskey.

No whiskey? 

Maybe that explains why you are able to use the ______________ with such skill.

9 hours ago, NETSCAPE said:

Been sober almost 6 years. But I do buy my dad top shelf whisky because he is a true American/boomer. :)

I stopped for about five-years but decided to go back for a bit. Been almost a year. Might stop again soon.

Bit of a shame, because bourbon is delicious. :cool:

5 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

No whiskey? 

Maybe that explains why you are able to use the ______________ with such skill.

I have a bottle of Woodford Reserve and a bottle of Fireball on my desk.

I’ll take a tiny sip every few days.

Often a sip and a bite of dark chocolate.

Takes me over a year to get through a fifth.

Still working on last years’.

I take bites of chocolate all the time though.

Dark chocolate isn’t candy, it’s food. :)

• Upvote 2

i like this:

anis_la_asturiana-dulce.png

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

I have a bottle of Woodford Reserve and a bottle of Fireball on my desk.

I’ll take a tiny sip every few days.

Often a sip and a bite of dark chocolate.

Takes me over a year to get through a fifth.

Still working on last years’.

I take bites of chocolate all the time though.

Dark chocolate isn’t candy, it’s food. :)

I had a little bottle of Woodford Reserve a few months ago. I thought it was clean and smooth, but lacked body. But I prefer dark heavy bourbon.

This stuff is the be all, end all of bourbon. I haven't found a better kind yet.

booker-s-bourbon.jpg

We get a lot of bourbons shipped into the UK and I probably have at least 5 different ones in my cupboard but I have not seen Bookers. 

• Upvote 1

This stuff is the bomb. It's the better quality, single barrel version of what I showed in the original post. It's in your face at 120 proof, but the quality is right there.

One thing I learned very recently, and it was a big surprise as I've been drinking good bourbon for 30 years, is that this stuff is the exact same as the Booker's Best pictured above, except the Bookers is the hand selected best of the best of the Knob Creek Single Barrel. Booker's Best is $101 a bottle here. The Knob Creek Single Barrel is $63. Is it worth the extra $40 for the better version? I'll have to do an expensive taste test some day.

I have some nice 85% dark chocolate to go with this. Beauty! :drinks:

2tciul.jpg

This has been my go to for a while, but has disappeared from the shelves...and I live in Kentucky!

Image result for four roses single barrel review

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, SYN_Mike77 said:

This has been my go to for a while, but has disappeared from the shelves...and I live in Kentucky!

Image result for four roses single barrel review

Heard good reviews about Four Roses but never seen it here.

Must be nice living in the place where the greatest whiskey in the known universe is made.  :drinks:

I went to Kentucky for a bachelor party and went to several distilleries - that was an education. I have had some really great bourbon that is hard to find (Pappy van winkle 21 year was the rarest, also Eagle Rare 17 yr Weller 12 yr, Blanton's). I can recommend all of those if you can find them at retail price. But for things you can actually find in stores - that knob creek single barrel is good. Makers Mark 46 is like candy. Canada might like Woodford Reserve Double Oaked (I like that more than the regular - especially with chocolate).  I'm working my way through a bottle of Russel's Reserve (higher brow Wild Turkey) that is really good for the money. After I finish that I want to get some four roses. I have heard good things but not tried any yet

I'm also saving a bottle of Jim Beam Distiller's Masterpiece I won in a raffle. 

Oh, I forgot to mention that the Bookers I tried was a little disappointing. It is good, don't get me wrong, I probably would have liked it more if I didn't know how expensive it was.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I can't do Makers Mark. It just can't happen.

Respect on the Russel's Reserve. (Though I've never had it.) I cut my bourbon teeth on Wild Turkey. Haven't seen a bottle of the WT 12 year-old in many years. And if I ever come across Rare Breed, it's an instant buy no matter the price. Probably the richest tastiest bourbon I've had. Unfortunately most of the WT that is around here is the 80 proof. I feel like I'm drinking watered down 101. No happiness there.

I liked the Woodford, but I found it... thin. Very clean, but thin. Not cheap either. And I understand about the Booker's, I have friends who much prefer a smoother lighter bourbon. I think the Booker's makes a great occasional treat. Especially at $100 a bottle.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

Must be nice living in the place where the greatest whiskey in the known universe is made.  :drinks:

Hmm .. 😵

My all time favorite:

Lagavulin-16Jahre-200ml.jpg

Danger! May limit your target aquisition skills!

Edited by sevenless
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sevenless said:

My all time favorite:

Lagavulin-16Jahre-200ml.jpg

Danger! May limit your target aquisition skills!

Many moons ago I had a weekend with a gorgeous brunette and a bottle of Lagavulin 16.

Never had Lagavulin before or after. :cool:

My Dad quite often brings over a bottle of Crown Royal when he comes to visit. It's the smoothest Whiskey I have ever tasted.

image.png.d8836415bba9784cd2ee9c563493c12c.png

• Upvote 2

Saw some really good reviews about Buffalo Trace and bought a bottle. The reviewer cites it as a classic bourbon that gets everything right.

It's very nice. There is nothing disappointing about it. I will definitely buy it again. :drinks:

10155314.jpg

• Upvote 1