Sign in to follow this  
Alonzo

Hosting, collaborating on missions, using the 'right' directories, etc etc.

Hey all, I've been running into very frustrating issues and I feel like I'm doing something 'against' the way multiplayer missions are supposed to be developed and hosted. I'm looking for guidance on a way of doing all this that works properly for multiplayer hosting.

My main gaming machine has IL2 installed through Steam. My server just has a straight download of IL2 and its installer from the 1CG website. Is this just a plain bad idea because directories will not line up? I am using resaver when copying the missions across, but I'm left with empty translation files and need to re-copy those. So it feels like I'm doing something wrong there.

One of my squad mates shared a mission with me. Works perfectly for him. I put it onto the server, ran resaver on it, cranked it up. Couldn't get my client to connect. I tried loading the file into the editor on my own gaming rig, saving it again, copying to the server, re-saving in the same way as my working maps. Still didn't work. Clients that connect only get the .mission and .list files, then get booted back to the "Coop / Deathmatch" screen. Is there a 'proper' way to collaborate on missions with friends?

I've been using subdirectories (such as Alonzo/<map name>) for working on my missions. But when I look at what I get from established multiplayer servers, all the stuff is just in the root. Am I doing a dumb thing by trying to have directories?

Basically I'm looking for what works. The server is finicky, but it is what it is, I'm not seeking to complain about it. I just want a recipe that works, or things to avoid that definitely do not work. Any help appreciated, it's been quite a frustrating evening.

5 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Hey all, I've been running into very frustrating issues and I feel like I'm doing something 'against' the way multiplayer missions are supposed to be developed and hosted. I'm looking for guidance on a way of doing all this that works properly for multiplayer hosting.

My main gaming machine has IL2 installed through Steam. My server just has a straight download of IL2 and its installer from the 1CG website. Is this just a plain bad idea because directories will not line up? I am using resaver when copying the missions across, but I'm left with empty translation files and need to re-copy those. So it feels like I'm doing something wrong there.

-I don't use steam for BoX but they should line up. You are most probably saving the missions incorrectly by using the Resaver within your designated Dserver.

One of my squad mates shared a mission with me. Works perfectly for him. I put it onto the server, ran resaver on it, cranked it up. Couldn't get my client to connect. I tried loading the file into the editor on my own gaming rig, saving it again, copying to the server, re-saving in the same way as my working maps. Still didn't work. Clients that connect only get the .mission and .list files, then get booted back to the "Coop / Deathmatch" screen. Is there a 'proper' way to collaborate on missions with friends?

-I personally do not use the Mission Editor and resaver within the Dservers program. You are just asking to corrupt this in one way or the other.

If you want to test this correctly. Use your steam account game to create and/or save the Dogfight mission then simply Copy and Paste your friends updated and working "complete" mission, including the MISSION, MSNBIN, LIST and all 6 language files into your steam account IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\Multiplayer\Dogfight Folder.

Open up the mission within the steam account Mission Editor and rename the mission AlonzoDF in the Mission Properties Tab. Then <File> <Save As> AlonzoDF within the Whatever_Name\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\Multiplayer\Dogfight folder.

Close out the steam account Mission Editor.

So basically the complete and correct directory which you should save your missions on your steam account game sans whatever steam adds to the name should be:
Whatever Drive:\Whatever_Name\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\Multiplayer\Dogfight

I've been using subdirectories (such as Alonzo/<map name>) for working on my missions. But when I look at what I get from established multiplayer servers, all the stuff is just in the root. Am I doing a dumb thing by trying to have directories?

-Since you are having problems the root is where you should be saving your Dogfight missions to make sure you have the correct path as I've suggested above. While some servers do add an additional file name. Keep it simple until you get something working.

Basically I'm looking for what works. The server is finicky, but it is what it is, I'm not seeking to complain about it. I just want a recipe that works, or things to avoid that definitely do not work. Any help appreciated, it's been quite a frustrating evening.

-Almost there.
Create a Folder on your Desktop. Name it whatever then Copy/Paste the newly named and saved AlonzoDF into it.

Open up the designated Dserver game and Copy/Paste the new AlonzoDF MSNBIN, LIST and the 6 language files from your desktop into the:
Whatever Drive:\Whatever_Name\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\Multiplayer\Dogfight Folder

Start up the Dserver. <File> <Manage sds> <Load>. Navigate to your IL2 Battle of Stalingrad/Bin/Game/Server Custom .sds file that you use.
You should see Dogfight\AlonzoDF in the Missions window. <Save and Close>

If it doesn't then the Server .sds file you wish to use should have this:

"...
[rotation]
random = false
   file = "Dogfight\AlonzoDF"
[end]
…"

Start up the Dserver <File> <Open> the .sds File again.

The Server window should look like this:

...Server Name 'Alonzo Server'
   Loading Mission 'Multiplayer/Dogfight\AlonzoDF.msnbin' (Multiplayer/Dogfight\AlonzoDF)...
   Server Listening IP:'XXX-XXX-XXX'
...Mission Loaded Successfully

Your friends should now be able to join your server.

Good Luck.
Tip

If all you are getting when you join a server is the mission and a list file, then that is the fault of the person putting up the server.  They must be deleting the language entries from the list file.  Hopefully they are leaving at least one.

List file should look like this.

filename="missions/lapino test map.eng","6e8e9fcc"
filename="missions/lapino test map.fra","c107c163"
filename="missions/lapino test map.ger","d7aee874"
filename="missions/lapino test map.pol","912de283"
filename="missions/lapino test map.rus","a458afb2"
filename="missions/lapino test map.spa","6300185c"

If you want to use sub directories, you can, but they must be under the data folder, and for the sake of others joining, should be under multiplayer/dogfight or multiplayer/coop.

so you would end up with this for a list file:

filename="multiplayer/dogfight/alonzo/lapino test map.eng","6e8e9fcc"
filename="multiplayer/dogfight/alonzo/lapino test map.fra","3253eaed"
filename="multiplayer/dogfight/alonzo/lapino test map.ger","24fac3fa"
filename="multiplayer/dogfight/alonzo/lapino test map.pol","6279c90d"
filename="multiplayer/dogfight/alonzo/lapino test map.rus","570c843c"
filename="multiplayer/dogfight/alonzo/lapino test map.spa","905433d2"

BUT...

the folder dogfight/alonzo does not exist on users joining computers, so it needs to be created when they join.  In order for this to happen, you have to replace all the /alonzo with \alonzo, otherwise they will end  up with file transfer errors.

Have always thought it would be great if everybody's missions where in their own folder, but there are complications involved.

12 hours ago, [DBS]Tx_Tip said:

I personally do not use the Mission Editor and resaver within the Dservers program. You are just asking to corrupt this in one way or the other.

Thank you for the tips. Here, do you mean resaver is a bad idea? Unfortunately I cannot run the editor on the server computer, it doesn't like it at all (something about graphics I think). But dserver runs ok. But my editing machine is Steam, the server is not steam, so the directories are different. The resaver seemed to work to fix the directory differences between machines. Should I instead do the work of making sure I have non-Steam installs everywhere, both on editing machine and server?

11 hours ago, WWSitttingDuck said:

If all you are getting when you join a server is the mission and a list file, then that is the fault of the person putting up the server.  They must be deleting the language entries from the list file.  Hopefully they are leaving at least one.

What I was previously seeing was that the server had the correct .list file and translations, but they were not being copied to the client. I have fixed that by using the -t option on resaver. 

Now the behavior I am seeing is very strange: the client can connect, transfer all of the files (including .list, translations, and .mission file), I get a loading screen and red bar at the bottom, but then I am immediately booted back to the "Co-op / Dogfight" screen. Any idea what could cause this?

Thank you for your suggestions so far.

10 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Thank you for the tips. Here, do you mean resaver is a bad idea?

-Not to sound harsh but no, I specifically said that you are using the Dserver resaver incorrectly with my first two paragraph replies above. Whether the resaver within the Dservers software is a bad idea for what problems you are encountering has yet to be established.

Unfortunately I cannot run the editor on the server computer, it doesn't like it at all (something about graphics I think). But dserver runs ok. But my editing machine is Steam, the server is not steam, so the directories are different. The resaver seemed to work to fix the directory differences between machines.

-Which was why I made the suggestion above to completely take the resaver out of the loop for a first test and use the ME Tools alone to rename and resave the mission.

You being able to join any one of the designated online 24/7 Dservers would suggest that your steam file directory correctly receives non steam account BoX created Dogfight Missions of which the majority are fashioned with the ME Tools and several (expressly the dynamic ones) are fashioned using the Dserver reserver.

This was why I laid out the correct path the 24/7 Dservers are copying "working" Missions above "sans" whatever steam adds to the name to your game. The Dservers are ignoring that you have a steam BoX game. 

Have you tried that test I suggested correctly using your steam game ME Tools to rename and resave a working mission?
What were the results?
If still not working are you familiar with how to use the ME <Tools> <Resave All Missions in Folder> after deleting the MSNBIN?

What I was previously seeing was that the server had the correct .list file and translations, but they were not being copied to the client. I have fixed that by using the -t option on resaver. 

-Waiting on the further explanation as well on the -t option.

Now the behavior I am seeing is very strange: the client can connect, transfer all of the files (including .list, translations, and .mission file), I get a loading screen and red bar at the bottom, but then I am immediately booted back to the "Co-op / Dogfight" screen. Any idea what could cause this?

-And can those clients (besides you and don't have a steam BoX game) then turn around and play that mission using their In Game Dogfight Server?

Thank you for your suggestions so far.

Isolating and identifying what the problem is with regards to creating and hosting working online content will make an old campaigner out of you yet.

Good Luck

On 1/14/2019 at 3:51 PM, WWSitttingDuck said:

Look at this post.  

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/42321-cannot-get-server-to-work/?tab=comments#comment-719369

never hear of the -t oprion on resaver.   Can you elaborate?

If you run resaver without any arguments, it offers -t as an option. It doesn't explain it either. My translation files get zapped down to 1KB if I *don't* use the -t option, but I don't actually know what it does.

20 hours ago, [DBS]Tx_Tip said:

Isolating and identifying what the problem is with regards to creating and hosting working online content will make an old campaigner out of you yet.

Good Luck

OK, thank you for your patience. Here are the steps I am taking:

1. Friend sends me a ZIP file with their 9 files including .mission. Unzip to Steam...Dogfight folder.
  2. Run Mission Editor (Steam). Load mission from friend.
  3. Change mission name to AlonzoDF. File > Save As "AlonzoDF".
  4. I now have AlonzoDF.{eng,fra,ger,list,Mission,msnbin,pol,rus,spa}
  5. Copy AlonzoDF files to server machine, put in non-steam....dogfight.
  6. Open dserver. Manage SDS. Load my SDS (which has credentials etc).
  7. Remove all missions from rotation. 
  8. Add just AlonzoDF mission, from C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles\data\Multiplayer\Dogfight
  9. Save and close, open the SDS.
  10. Server loads and registers with master server. Map begins to run -- I can tell because tick time is 10ms due to significant AI activity on this map.
  11. Run client. Multiplayer, dogfight, find my server. Connect.
  12. Game loads. Red loading bar. Kicked back to Co-op/Dogfight screen.

If I do similar steps but with missions that I created entirely myself on my Steam computer, I can connect and play the mission. I'm very confused because it seems that something in the mission itself is causing a problem, even with the load/save cycle. If I missed a step or got something wrong please let me know.

Edited by Alonzo
Formatting.

5 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Game loads. Red loading bar. Kicked back to Co-op/Dogfight screen.

I've had this happen when testing the maximum amount of moving tanks in a mission. When I went above a certain number, after loading, I would be kicked back to the coop/dogfight screen. Dserver was still running fine.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 6:46 PM, Alonzo said:

If you run resaver without any arguments, it offers -t as an option. It doesn't explain it either. My translation files get zapped down to 1KB if I *don't* use the -t option, but I don't actually know what it does.

OK, thank you for your patience. Here are the steps I am taking:

1. Friend sends me a ZIP file with their 9 files including .mission. Unzip to Steam...Dogfight folder.
  2. Run Mission Editor (Steam). Load mission from friend.
  3. Change mission name to AlonzoDF. File > Save As "AlonzoDF".
  4. I now have AlonzoDF.{eng,fra,ger,list,Mission,msnbin,pol,rus,spa}
  5. Copy AlonzoDF files to server machine, put in non-steam....dogfight.
  6. Open dserver. Manage SDS. Load my SDS (which has credentials etc).
  7. Remove all missions from rotation. 
  8. Add just AlonzoDF mission, from C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles\data\Multiplayer\Dogfight
  9. Save and close, open the SDS.
  10. Server loads and registers with master server. Map begins to run -- I can tell because tick time is 10ms due to significant AI activity on this map.
  11. Run client. Multiplayer, dogfight, find my server. Connect.
  12. Game loads. Red loading bar. Kicked back to Co-op/Dogfight screen.

If I do similar steps but with missions that I created entirely myself on my Steam computer, I can connect and play the mission. I'm very confused because it seems that something in the mission itself is causing a problem, even with the load/save cycle. If I missed a step or got something wrong please let me know.

What your doing looks good Alonzo. Can you zip up and post the complete AlonzoDF mission (all 9 files that you created from your steam machine here) for download?

Edited by [DBS]Tx_Tip