Sign in to follow this  
YIPPEE

Bf-109 Flaps do not appear to function properly.

I noticed in some turn tests I was doing that the flaps of the 109 appeared to no produce any (noticeable) difference in turn rate or radius. As per behavior in other sims and various literature available on the subject, I expected the flaps to produce a temporary increase in turn rate and permanent decrease in radius. The turn rate being worse than w/o flaps once Ps=0 again once the airplane slows down from the increased drag. This is the behavior we see on the Yak flaps for example. 

So I decided to test the level flight stall speed of the 109F. 50% fuel, 300m altitude. Autumn conditions. With flaps up and down (100%), the stall speed was the same. 

If the flaps are producing lift, shouldnt the stall speed go down? If yes, then it appears the 109 has air brakes not flaps as of now. 

Edited by Fumes

109s stall at a very high AoA due to the deployment of their slats: 19.9 degrees in flight configuration according to the tech specs page for the F-4.  You do not say how much flap you are dropping  but I wonder if at full flaps with an effective 60 degree angle they really would provide much lift.  What happens if you only drop 10 or 20 degrees?

Im doing full vs no flaps. Havent tried 20deg. Also the stall angle was significantly worse. With flaps around 16deg instead of 20. 

although I suppose that is to be expected. 

Edited by Fumes

On 1/16/2019 at 8:01 PM, 3./JG15_Kampf said:

Please test the flaps of p47. You will see what they are able to do for a monster of 7 tons.

Yep and it's completely unrealistic to some degree.

If you want to turn tighter in the 109 use your stabilizer, you'll turn to the point of blacking out.

aren't there like 4 different types of flaps? just looking a the difference between the P-47 and 109 seems one would probly help in turns and the other might hinder.