Sign in to follow this  
Gambit21

Random Logic Problem

I'm having an issue where random logic isn't so random.

Let's say I have a 12x random generator constructed by daisy-chaining 3x output generators together.

So a 3x output, each of the 3 OUT's connected to another 3X etc.

At the start of a mission, after a fresh game boot...I will get the same result every time.

If I RESTART the mission from within the game instead, then I will start getting random results from the generator.

There is nothing wrong with the 3x Generator logic  - as it works normally if restarted without exiting the sim.

Previously I was using a similar generator constructed of 4X generators and having the same problem...I would get Output 1 each time.

Any ideas?

Random Error.jpg

I'm having trouble putting together a test mission that is predictable.

If I simplify the mission and disconnect all of the flights etc that this generator is used for, then I no longer get the same result every boot.

Basically I know there's a but, but I'm trying to avoid going on the beta forum and saying "there's a logic problem, I cant' demonstrate it, but trust me"

In the meantime...Coconut or someone else, if you have a better way/group to get 12x or 16x random outputs that works as it should every time I'd be grateful.

Daisy-chaining these 3x or 4x generators is causing me problems.

When I remove some unrelated, unconnected groups, the behavior changes.

There's clearly a bug somewhere, but I have no way to pinpoint it, or even properly report it.

Away from my computer now but might be because of the 2 sec mission begin timer - might need another second. I’ll try tomorrow.

Off shoot idea, but maybe add 500ms to 1second delay between 'random sets' to allow time for each set to fire it's random logic before going to a new set. Another idea is to just make one big ass random set and not use smaller random logic sets in a daisy chain.

Edited by [TWB]Sketch

2 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Away from my computer now but might be because of the 2 sec mission begin timer - might need another second. I’ll try tomorrow.

16 minutes ago, [TWB]Sketch said:

Off shoot idea, but maybe add 500ms to 1second delay between 'random sets' to allow time for each set to fire it's random logic before going to a new set.

It could very well be a case of some timers not allowing enough time when a mission FIRST loads. The first time a mission loads, everything has to be loaded into memory from scratch, so it might take a few seconds longer and some timers are being missed/triggers being missed etc. But, when you reload the mission some things are already in memory so it loads up faster and there is now enough time for the timers to trigger, and everything works correctly? Maybe try build in some extra time into the logic as you and Sketch suggested to allow the mission to finish loading completely before trying the random logic?

Edited by Flashy

I definitely think it’s a time/load issue.

I’m going to experiment with timers later as well as build a new generator as Sketck suggests.

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

I definitely think it’s a time/load issue.

I’m going to experiment with timers later as well as build a new generator as Sketck suggests.

Thanks.

Do you see the same problem with a single random generator?

Well the results for the two 16X generators built with 4X generators (the mission I sent you) indicate that both 16x groups (one for flights, one for vehicles) are producing an “OUT 1” on the initial 4X timer, followed by another “OUT 1” on the second (and final) timer in the chain.

Now I haven’t tried unplugging the second, daisy-chained groups of timers. This will either yield a single predictable output as before, or the behavior will change as it did when I removed other non-related logic.

(due to load time issues I’m guessing)

Well that was it... two 500ms timers and the problem corrected itself.

Thanks for the help!

• Upvote 2