taffy2jeffmorgan

Best aircraft for attacking ships

Hi, In quick missions i must have tried out every aircraft and loadout to attack shipping, from every direction and altitude i have even tried the P 47 firing rockets from long range, but those ships gunners are much too accurate, so is there the ideal plane and loadout combination and tactic and still be able to get back and land !!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Best and very efficient way to attack ships regardless of plane type is team work - one group enters the flak range first, but navigates away from the target at long range, dragging the flak with them, while second groop swoops in from the opposite side for the kill while the gunners are still tracking the first group and have little time to turn around. This of course is very hard to do offline, but still - never attacks ships alone, it's a suicide most of the times.

That said - I love the Pe-2 for the job for the simple reason - it's outstanding durability. On blue side nothing beats Ju 88, silently hoping to get the torpedo version some day.

Edited by CrazyDuck
  • Like 1

Got to be the beautiful Beau...No contest.

170c37a5ddd7e80519c2b00569f269e0.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

IMO, Bf 110 is perfect for that. Fast, big bombs, good armament and view from cockpit. 
A-20 is quite for that too.

Wot Mr. CrazyDuck says above. 

In QMB take some wingmen tooled up for ground attack with you.  When you are closer to your target ships than any other potential ground targets in the mission give your wingmen the order to attack ground targets.

Keep an eye on them whilst they sort themselves out and when they start attacking and attracting the flak, make your run.

I prefer a shallow, high speed dive and a low-level, high speed exit out of AA range before coming round for another pass in conjunction with your surviving wingmen once more.

Good luck!   

A-20

Jug is great but not so realistic on the Kuban map.

Normal skill Ai boats or Ace skill..

How you deal with them and plane you can use is very different.
If normal skill Ai AAA then you can use an 88,87,111 anything slow and lumbering to avoid it easily.
If its on ace skill Ai AAA then you will struggle with even a 110 G2 or many fighters to be nimble enough to Jink AAA
Unless other people take the choice to drag AAA for you.

I enjoy strafing smaller ships or ships' gun placement flying the P-39 approaching the target from shallow but fast dive. Usually, the closure is quick enough to deny the AAA initial shots and single attack can be enough to destroy targets like a torpedo boat. After the pass I extend in wide turn just at SL which at +550km/h has good survival odds.

Forgot to mention - most realistic AI setting is “low” just like the other AA units.

Ship AA is not more accurate than other units.

7 hours ago, Elem said:

This forum seriously needs a "WOOF!" response. "Like" or "upvote" isn't good enough.

mp,550x550,matte,ffffff,t.3u1.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/10/2019 at 1:10 AM, 71st_AH_Yankee_ said:

This forum seriously needs a "WOOF!" response. "Like" or "upvote" isn't good enough.

mp,550x550,matte,ffffff,t.3u1.jpg

For the beaufighter I agree WOOF 

On 1/11/2019 at 6:53 AM, 6./ZG26_Loke said:

We still miss the torpedos though! 

Even if the Pacific is no longer on the cards, it’s a shame that the naval side of things has never been given much attention, especially as that was part of the logic behind a Kuban release.

Abd as Bodenplatte is predominately land-based, I doubt it’ll be added in retrospectively. 

5 hours ago, 6./ZG26_5tuka said:

j5GbTud.png

Edit: Don't even try to argue.

...Or get it off the ground. :)

I really like the he111h16 for its 8 250kgs internal, allows alot of ships to be taken in one go.  The fw190a8 and k4 with mk108s and one 500kg bomb are also very nice because the mk108s can take out small gun boats.  The allies pe2 and a20 are also good.  I wouldnt bother using rockets against ships.  Whenever I managed to score hits with any of the rockets I subjected my self to heavy punishment without seemingly dealing much in return and I've tried ros 132mms, br21s, and the p47 tubes.  

Edited by 69TD_Joeasyrida

Twins apart from the 111 for having the ability to track take out more than one and 190 for fast survivable attacks.

Which 37mm ammo is generally better against boats? HE or AP? I haven’t had much success with either.

On 1/10/2019 at 3:54 AM, Gambit21 said:

Forgot to mention - most realistic AI setting is “low” just like the other AA units.

Ship AA is not more accurate than other units.

Do you know what the default skill for ships guns might be in the QMB missions?  I seem to get killed by them very easily and find their fire difficult to avoid, even at long range. 

2 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Do you know what the default skill for ships guns might be in the QMB missions?  I seem to get killed by them very easily and find their fire difficult to avoid, even at long range. 

I don't know what the default setting is, but if they're hitting you that often then probably "Normal" or "High"

Don't get me wrong, if you're not jinking then eventually even a "low" gunner will dial you in if you're not careful.

However from the sounds of it (I haven't messed with the QMB in a few years) they're not set to "low" which is ideal.

Nakajima B5N Kate! (flown by Toshiro Mifune)

190, p47, pe2, a20, ju88, 110 all with 250kg+ bombs.

I usually dive past them, when reaching low alt i make turn on them in last moment avoiding flying in straight line for too long.

That way you can evade flak hits.

After drop expand, ragain alt and prepare for another attack.

Edited by EAF_Ribbon
  • Upvote 2

yep i second and third that

110 G2
Fast with full bombload (480kph TAS @ 3K (400kph IAS) with full bombload enroute
(0-2K in 1.4 minutes at max ability or a cumfy 2.5 minutes)
Max dive speed of 740kph but will happily maneuver above 650-700.
Can defend itself, Will outclimb La5FN in right situation (low speed overshoots)

Here's an iconic photo showing how chaotic ship attacking could be in real life. Numerous Beaufighters are hammering German destroyers while trying not to collide between themselves. Note about 10 Beaus, rocket trails, a stray bomb... Such a photo is damn hard to stage even in our sim!

2051495827_Beausattackingship.jpg.e1c5750ad8784ce0e98a71c19e0154a5.jpg

Edited by CrazyDuck
  • Like 2

A-20 Havoc: high payload (I usually take the 4x250 and 8x100 payload, which in ideal conditions means you can obliterate a good 6-8 ships with); high speed; high maneuverability; good survivability and good single engine performance make it the ideal choice for anti-shipping in IL-2. In real life the B-25 and Beaufighter could probably outclass the A-20, but in this sim the Havoc reigns supreme for the time being.

The replies suggesting the He-111 are the best gave me a hearty chuckle. The Ju-88 is probably the best the germans get in terms of anti shipping, but the 110 falls short of both the A-20 and Ju-88, and thats a cold hard F A C T.

20180709105453_1.jpg

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Tony_Kito said:

In real life the B-25 and Beaufighter could probably outclass the A-20, but in this sim the Havoc reigns supreme for the time being.

Yep

• Thanks 1

On 1/9/2019 at 8:50 AM, taffy2jeffmorgan said:

Hi, In quick missions i must have tried out every aircraft and loadout to attack shipping, from every direction and altitude i have even tried the P 47 firing rockets from long range, but those ships gunners are much too accurate, so is there the ideal plane and loadout combination and tactic and still be able to get back and land !!

Not sure if these are still relevant, but they are fun to watch and wouldn't do any harm to test out...

Dart's IL2  training videos :) 

Skip bombing small ships https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af4syRR5r7s&list=PL23ABD7CBB962A977&index=8

Attacking big ships https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8whPvW85a0E&list=PL23ABD7CBB962A977&index=9

Whole collection here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL23ABD7CBB962A977

The P-47 is a good anti shipping plane if you start your run from high enough. You can get that thing really moving and it maintains enough maneuverability at high speeds to juke the flack; and if worst comes to it the plane can take a hit well enough. I've found skip bombing to be particularly effective in it. I think it edges out the 190 in this role due to the better bomb load. With 2 1000 lb bombs and 1 500 lb bomb you can effectively kill 3 large ships in a single sortie. The only down side is that it can take a little while to get the plane up high enough to make an effective run with all that ordinance strapped on.

I am not really suggesting this but...

I was curious how the LaGg3s 23mm gun would do against shipping and found it very good against patrol boats

Cargo ships can be set on fire with 23mm but it takes a full magazine.  
I could not get any visible damage using 23mm on subs or those armoured low profile gunships (are they river/estuarine boats?) 
Two 100kg bombs will sink anything (but is really hard to skip bomb the low profile gunboat!)

The bigger 132 rockets on an IL2 will sink most ships & subs.  I did not actually see any armoured gunboats while carrying rockets so result unknown.

Here is the interesting one.  PTABS work really well against ships!  A single canister will sink a cargo ship or tanker or sub or torpedo boat so you could sink four per sortie.  
Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

On 1/9/2019 at 9:22 AM, Elem said:

Well you need a bunch brave kiwis and aussies also then

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:22 AM, Elem said:

I´d love to see this in a 1941-1943 British Channel module with RAF Hunting down Axis ships and U-Boats and leaning over the channel with rhubarbs and circuses.

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_mosquito_XVIII.html

btw:

Edited by sevenless