325TH_SPEKTRE76

[FANATSY] IL-10: STURMOVIK

Posted (edited)

I was thinking with the introduction to jet aircraft into IL-2:GB;  what would a Korean War era SIM look like in this game engine? This is purely fantasy and for fun.

My proposed plane Set (21 total including Collector Planes)

US Planes:

Attackers:

• AD-4 Skyraider
  • TBM-3S Avenger

Fighters:

• F4U-4C Corsair
  • F-86A-5 Sabre
  • F-82G Twin Mustang
  • F9F-5 Panther

Bombers:

• B-26C Invader

Royal Allied Planes:

Fighters:

• Firefly Mk.5
  • Seafire FR.47
  • Sea Fury Mk.47
  • Mustang IV

Korean  Planes:

Fighters:

• MiG-15

Attackers:

• IL-10
  • Tu-2S
  • Po-2 (U2-VS)

COLLECTOR PLANES:

• F-86F-30 Sabre
  • Meteor F.Mk.8
  • MiG 15 BiS

Edited by SPEKTRE76
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

You could also have

F2H Banshee

La-11

NA F-82 (Twin Mustang)

F7F Tigercat

DH 100 Vampire

Cessna O-1 Bird dog L-19

L-5 Sentinal

Yak-18

Antinov An-2

there are some more twins for transport

C47

C46

C54

C119 Boxcar

I would buy Korea for myself and gift it to others that would want it too, and buy all the collector planes.  Korean theater is way overdue to be done right.  But we will definitely need Carriers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

F-82 is in the list. Yeah I think so too. Korea would be interesting considering it was prop vs. jet sometimes.

Problem with Korean War is that apart for barely a month or two all those North Korean props were swatted by the sheer number of UN planes, with the entire rest of the war having to rely only on the (soviet flown, with PLAAF/PVA units joining later) MiG-15bis (and some Po-2 in NK night harassment units).

Neither the Chinese used their props or MiG-9 in Korea as it was deemed better to just retrain pilots for the 15s.

Also, the F-86F-40 is a 1955 plane, the latest model to see service in the Korean War was the F-86F-30.

From both list I also see that the Republic F-84 Thunderjet is missing despite being one of the main strike plane of US forces.

A Korean War scenario can work but maybe it should not be approached in the same way previous modules were made.

• Like 1

Thank you for the input! Changes being made. I did not know the F-84 was the main fighter.  😊

On 1/9/2019 at 12:21 AM, Alexmarine28 said:

A Korean War scenario can work but maybe it should not be approached in the same way previous modules were made.

Choose aircraft that can fit multiple theatres and then we’re expanding WWII at the same time. Loads of people want more late-WWII Eastern Front aircraft, and some have said they aren’t interested in Korea.

We already have a P-51 and U-2 that could be used in WWII and Korea, so following that idea we could have:

Il-10

Yak-9P

La-7

Tu-2

(all can fit a ‘Battle of Berlin’ or ‘Sturmoviks over Manchuria’ set). 

Allied aircraft are a bit more difficult, but could still get:

A/B-26 Invader (also fits Bodenplatte and any late-war Pacific release)

Gloster Meteor F.3/F.8 (fits Bodenplatte and used by RAAF in Korea)

Fairey Firefly mk I/FR.4 (any late Pacific release, FAA and RAN in Korea)

F4U-1/-4 Corsair (any late Pacific release, USN and USMC in Korea)

Then F-86 and MiG-15 as collector planes, so anyone who just wants those two can get them. The others should have a broad enough appeal to the existing theatres that anyone who isn’t interested in Korea but who does want more late-WWII aircraft will have enough reasons to buy in to this release as well. 

4 hours ago, Royal_Flight said:

Yak-9P

Post war model, the correct one is the YaK-9U.

4 hours ago, Royal_Flight said:

Then F-86 and MiG-15 as collector planes

I honestly think it is a bad idea to not include the two iconic planes as standard edition ones...

I'd cut the F-84 and I'd rather opt for an early and a late Sabre. Maybe an A and a non-slatted F with the 6-3 wing.

An E with the standard-wing could be put in there, too.

BfTKsuI.jpg

Good call on the Mustang IV - you just couldn't leave the plain-Jane F-51D out of this!

1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

I'd cut the F-84 and I'd rather opt for an early and a late Sabre.

Two Sabres for both early and late scenarios are needed anyway. Cutting the USAF main strike platform from more than half of the conflict would not be a good idea...

Edited by Alexmarine28

10 minutes ago, Alexmarine28 said:

Cutting the USAF main strike platform from more than half of the conflict would not be a good idea...

True - I was just voicing my personal preference there.

Not too keen on any Republic-design after the 47 (except the Thud on a good day). I'd rather fly an F-86H any day over the F-84 (even though the Hog Sabre is of a much later vintge than the early Republic lead-sleds).

In any case:

I think it's funny how so many people chose to be inunterested in Korea, despite the awesome planeset.

25 minutes ago, =AVG77=Garven said:

Wrong war but I want a toilet weapon mod for the Skyraider.:crazy:

Image result for toilet mounted on a1 skyraider

What a dirty business war is...💩I

It is called the s-bomb. S for shitter... 🤭

11 hours ago, Alexmarine28 said:

Two Sabres for both early and late scenarios are needed anyway. Cutting the USAF main strike platform from more than half of the conflict would not be a good idea...

I’d rather have a Meteor. Fulfils a similar role but broadens the set to include the Commonwealth.

There’s only going to be space for a singe Sabre as well to fit the 5+5 format, and it and the MiG-15 are probably better off not being collector aircraft to avoid ‘pay-to-win’ accusations. 

The Korea problem is that we can realistically only expect a single release, and all the diversity is on the Allied side. I’ve tried as best I can to balance the opposing aircraft below and get an Allied set that’s broadly reflective of the UN air forces while giving the Communists something interesting to fly and competitive enough that it’s not totally one-sided. 

This is an early-war/1950 snapshot more than a whole war experience. 

- MiG-15 / F-86 (iconic jet fighters and apex predators)

- Il-10 / Meteor F.8 (ground attackers; the ultimate Sturmovik and can be used in late WWII, and F.8 representing the RAAF)

- La-7 / Sea Fury (big heavy radial props; La-7 can be used in late-WWII, iconic Sea Fury introduces carrier ops at last)

- Tu-2 / B-26 (twin-prop bomber/attackers; both can be used in late WWII)

- Collector: Yak-9P / F-82 (the best of the Yak line, and the general strangeness of the Twin Mustang lends itself to a collector aircraft)

- Existing aircraft: U-2 / P(F)-51 (a few new skins, ‘bedcheck Charlie’ and F-51 represents RoKAF as well as USAF)

[non-flyable Hail Mary longshot: B-29 - never to be flyable; simplified FM and sort out the AI bottleneck]

In reality this will probably never happen, but this is the most even-handed way I can think of doing Korea. 

• Confused 1

The cool thing about both the MiG-15 and the F-86 is that you'll cover 50%+ of all airforces of the time with those two aircraft.

Granted, many used specific sub-versions only, but it'll work as a disguise.

Does anybody already know the Block of the P-51 in BoBP? A Korea version would need HVAR-stubs (Block 30+).

Also, you can't leave out the F4U - be it any kind of version (-4 and -5 were partially carrier-based, the AU-1 was land-based only - the -5 offers winterized, night-fighter and photo-recce sub-versions).

Reducing Korea down to a "fair" BoX-typical sized planeset is very, very hard.

8 hours ago, Royal_Flight said:

I’d rather have a Meteor. Fulfils a similar role but broadens the set to include the Commonwealth

The SAAF flew Sabres and more than a few RAF (and other Commonwealth pilots) flew on exchange-tours with the USAF in Sabres.

Also, the RAF flew Sabres (CL-13 Mk 4, to be exact), too. Just not in-theater.

1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

The cool thing about both the MiG-15 and the F-86 is that you'll cover 50%+ of all airforces of the time with those two aircraft.

Granted, many used specific sub-versions only, but it'll work as a disguise.

Does anybody already know the Block of the P-51 in BoBP? A Korea version would need HVAR-stubs (Block 30+).

Also, you can't leave out the F4U - be it any kind of version (-4 and -5 were partially carrier-based, the AU-1 was land-based only - the -5 offers winterized, night-fighter and photo-recce sub-versions).

Reducing Korea down to a "fair" BoX-typical sized planeset is very, very hard.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Excatly

That was the hardest part for me. I made this just for fun but I thought it would be a nice gateway into a new timeline of air warfare. Especially in this amazing Game Engine.

I would love to see the sub variants of the F4U as well. I chose the F4U-4 because I think it was used the most of the US Naval Props. The AU-1 is even better with a much, much heavier ordinance load and more choices or ordinance. The F4U-5N, NL were night fighters. I do not see any serves thus far supporting night operations. So, I think wasting dev time on that bird is frivolous.

The F-51 and F-86 can cover many Air Forces as stated above. In order to make this, I think they'd have to go to a 'RoF' type store and just release a couple birds at a time. B-29 would have to be AI. That plane just has way to many systems and details that would be dev project just as big as the game itself.

Edited by SPEKTRE76