NETSCAPE

Stug III F and F/8 at Stalingrad

At that start of Operation Blau the Stug III B filled the ranks of the Sturmartillerie Abteilung. However I know that some number of Stug F and F/8's were used in the battle of Stalingrad because I see them in photos all the time. Many of the photos are pre-snow fall in Stalingrad and if my memory serves me correctly the first snow fall was Oct 19th (noted that stuff while working on Sirens of Death).

According to http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/Sturmgeschutz-III.php the Ausf F was started production in March 1942 while the Ausf F/8 started in September. It also states "At the start of the summer offensive on the Eastern front, there were about 210 Ausf.Fs in operation (18 units). By November 1942, 448 Ausf.F/Gs served with 22 units."

So how many Stug F or F/8's served in the Stalingrad area (specifically close or in the city itself)? Any numbers or ball park figures are appreciated. 

Stalingrad_tractor_factory.thumb.jpg.d42b57c96afa3e00b29b912069404942.jpg

---------

"The most incredible score was registered by an Ausf.F from the Stug.Abt.244 in Stalingrad in early September of 1942. It was commanded by Oberwachtmeister Kurt Pfreundtner and destroyed nine Soviet tanks in 20 minutes, which earned him the Knights Cross." (pic below)

Spoiler

5898f6c5321b8_img671-Copy.thumb.jpg.c1a2845472c8dd34b16a834ba3bd2d21.jpg.4b14b649cde35eb036fae6f6a2de6a4d.jpg

Edited by NETSCAPE

Just two thoughts on this topic:

- the performance of the HE-grenade of the German anti-guns was often criticized as "weak" or "insufficient". The long-barrelled StuG-III with the KwK 40 had such a AT-gun build in. The short-barrelled KwK 37 was originally designed as an artillery-piece with very good HE-performance. For the infantry-support-role this resulted in a preference for the older, short-barrelled models of the StuK III.
  I suspect the Germans in late 1942 were not able to choose the older models from a pool of tanks - any pool was dry. My impression is the commanders were glad to get any kind of StuG to support the infantry.

- usually the Germans avoided tank operations in urban areas as much as possible. Stalingrad was an exception - very interesting reading here:
Stalingrad and the Evolution of Soviet Urban Warfare

6 minutes ago, 216th_Retnek said:

Just two thoughts on this topic:

- the performance of the HE-grenade of the German anti-guns was often criticized as "weak" or "insufficient". The long-barrelled StuG-III with the KwK 40 had such a AT-gun build in. The short-barrelled KwK 37 was originally designed as an artillery-piece with very good HE-performance. For the infantry-support-role this resulted in a preference for the older, short-barrelled models of the StuK III.
  I suspect the Germans in late 1942 were not able to choose the older models from a pool of tanks - any pool was dry. My impression is the commanders were glad to get any kind of StuG to support the infantry.

- usually the Germans avoided tank operations in urban areas as much as possible. Stalingrad was an exception - very interesting reading here:

Yeah a 7.5cm HE round hitting the corner of a building would be nice support! And we must consider the "moral" effect too. I would feel more confident knowing I have a Stug or a Pz III on the street with me...

Though tank operations in urban area's have their flaws I think of a Stug differently than say a Pz III or IV, taking into account the Stug's original or proposed purpose and also the organizational structure, ie Stug's were not part of any Panzer Divisions yet.

Thanks for the link. I think I skimmed over this at one point. I will read it again later. 

And for anyone interested here is a nice little 100 page overview of the battle: https://chindits.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/stalingrad-pocket-6e.pdf .  It helped me tremendously when coming up with "cool" missions for the ol' Sirens of Death Stuka stuff. It is the best short read on Stalingrad imo. 

Kind of off topic, but I like how that color photo in the first post shows a soldier at the front of the group carrying a G41. 

15 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Kind of off topic, but I like how that color photo in the first post shows a soldier at the front of the group carrying a G41. 

Yeah at first glance I thought it was a SVT 40, but it is a German rifle for sure when you see the wood and barrel bands. 

I can't tell you how many times I've seen this photo online but it is typically cropped... and they crop out my Stug boys on the left of all things! 

7 minutes ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Needs MOAR grenades!!!

The 62nd Army used more grenades in the fight for Stalingrad than it did for the rest of war. 

55 minutes ago, 216th_Retnek said:

Really interesting bit from that read so far... 

"At ranges of 200 yards 203mm guns were used for direct fire, in keeping with the general use of artillery in a direct fire role within the city. The 62nd Army used more grenades in the fight for Stalingrad than it did for the rest of war."

The thought of 200 mike-mike coming my way from just down the street is scary lol. 

Also my dude MHV uses that source for this video on his secondary channel:

Edited by NETSCAPE