BadBud

U-2VS or Not?

Now that some have flown the U-2: I know that the price seems right, but is it worth buying for such an under-performing AC? I have read here that some like it. But I have the feeling that if I purchase, that it will just become a hanger bird.

Comments good and not so good will be appreciated,

BadBud

In the Combined Arms Servers it definetly has its place. And when flying with others it is really effective against Tanks, and very stealthy. 

• Upvote 1

Well you got to have some passion for flight itself. To be honest I havent felt like this since I fired up this game when it launched for the first time. 

It really get a feeling of realism in most aspects. It run no faster than you normally drive your car, it carry almost less than your car. It will not give you many cudos points in a online server, but every one of them will give you a solid feeling of accomplishment. Yes it is worth it, I would have bought it for double the price. But you got to have some idea if it is a plane for you.

To put it this way, if it make you fly for flying itself. You will have a feeling of authentic flight, you will understand aerodynamics better. It will learn you how planes fly. you baerly got the speed to keep aloft ;) 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Depends on you. You don't buy the Po-2 to win any performance games (except for lowest stall speed maybe :)) but you would for the enjoyment of flight and the unique opportunities that the Po-2 offers. I won't fly it all the time but I will fly it and have a lot of fun with it. I can't wait to get access to a campaign or a series of missions for it or even a multiplayer scenario that makes good use of it.

• Upvote 1

I bought it a few days ago but just managed to fly a bit today and I love it. Reminds me of those low slow flights in the Piper Cub in FSX. Struggling up over hills and then catching the view across at the crest. Beauty!

It's just good flying fun. 😎

I hope they put a floats option in one day. This thing is just begging for some river landings.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Are there any current missions that can be undertaken with it (or created for it) in MP other than bombing?

This is a high quality made plane for sure. They put a lot of love!

Fun to fly and challenging.

Very funny to harass human tanks!!

A few bugs, but will get fixed.

On the negative side: sadly no new gameplay, not even logistic modifications (cargo, passenger to drop or pickup, medivac)

I was not going to purchase but I did and have not regretted it if you only use for site seeing it is so much fun. This has to be the best sim by far and I am not a well off (rich) person on state pension but have sold stuff I treasure on EBAY to fund my IL2 battles purchases and having a ball. 

So YES YES buy the PO-2 take the work of a very old man.

Edited by CB77Don246
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Do it, if for nothing else then for the thrill of trying to fly across the highest part of the Kuban mountains in windy weather carrying a bomb load. Trust me, it is NOT easy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

While we don't have dedicated missions for this little bird yet, you can be certain they will come.  This is an ever-expanding, growing sim.  The team is adding new mission types to the career mode, and has added some for the Ju-52 (another premium plane that originally had no mission types associated with it).  Search other threads on the PO-2 & you'll find some very creative lists from others here on potential missions.  I'm sure the dev's already have many of those same ideas in mind, and are probably getting more from these threads.  Plenty of fun ahead for those who buy this bird & enjoy the unique challenges it already has, as well as those on the way in time.  😊

3 hours ago, nop51flyboydee said:

Teach The WIFE to fly.

CloD has the Tiger Moth and, surprisingly, I use it a lot as a "teaching plane" for relatives and visitors who run into my PC and get curious with my big joystick (no pun intended), they always go all "can you show me how its done?" and a trainer is excellent for that. Il2 GB needed a trainer, it makes the game more "complete" so to speak.

Besides we need variety! Recon, transport, paradrop etc. ... can't be all dogfights!  I am very eager to see what a career with the Po2 will turn out to be! When is it coming btw?

Edited by danielprates
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Sounds like everyone loves this slow bird? No really bad comments so far. 

Thanks for the replies'

BadBud

• Like 1

Do it1 How could you not want such a war winning aircraft!

I can recomend it too, it is fun to fly and provides a different way to fly in this sim.

I will buy it next year, when more money is available for me. 😃

I tried it in Il2 1946, and it doesnt make half the fun it was during the testing! So, it is a 100% buy plane for me! 

2 hours ago, Finkeren said:

Do it, if for nothing else then for the thrill of trying to fly across the highest part of the Kuban mountains in windy weather carrying a bomb load. Trust me, it is NOT easy.

This guy gets it.  PO-2 is for virtual pilots who are just waiting for Deadstick to release. 😄

Should be a cool server set-up:

One side gets U2s to harass the crap out of ze Germans and a hand full of Pe 2s to go night-intruding

The other side gets a bomber and possibly a Me 110 to go Night Witch hunting and counter-intruding.

Great, little plane, fun to fly, just like in reality! You can go to war with it but you cannot be an ace with it. Even against WW1 planes it is a little slow but it is reliable and can fly low and slow like no one else. 

If you want to learn to fly in this game use this plane.

If you want to fly for the fun of it, fly this plane.

If you want to learn to fly at night and come back, fly this plane.

if you want to go fast, do not fly this plane! 

I love the sound of the engine but I miss the odor of it. It is only a game after all.

Thanks to the builders of it how got the permission to add it to this simulation. Great job!

Buy it.

:salute:

I am also thinking about it .... I know I am going to get nailed saying this .... but I gotta be honest with this wonderful community. It is a bit pricey for me for just a plane without the special missions yet. Look at the price of BOS without collector Planes ($16.99)... and you get 8 planes , a map, etc. I think I will wait a bit to see what happens. Sorry.

Now, I am ready to take the bullets ;)

Note: I have bought all except this one and the Havoc Campaign. I bought the Ju52 and barely use it so far.

IMHO a collector plane should come with something extra in the game: a mini map with a set of missions, or a campaign, or whatever make it even more special. No harm intended but it is my opinion as a faithful buyer of the series.

Edited by 15[Span.]/JG51Spartan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 15[Span.]/JG51Spartan said:

I gotta be honest with this wonderful community. It is a bit pricey for me for just a plane without the special missions yet.

Thank you for sharing your honest opinion, I perfectly understand you. 

I hope they will add new modifications to get special missions.

No bullets  , only gratitude and best wishes ^^

Edited by TG1_Nil
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Finkeren said:

I agree, i had to go looking for a lower altitude crossing point on my first flight on the Kuban mountains map, exhilarating stuff. Love this aircraft.

Edited by RhumbaAzul
spelling

3 hours ago, 15[Span.]/JG51Spartan said:

I am also thinking about it .... I know I am going to get nailed saying this .... but I gotta be honest with this wonderful community. It is a bit pricey for me for just a plane without the special missions yet. Look at the price of BOS without collector Planes ($16.99)... and you get 8 planes , a map, etc. I think I will wait a bit to see what happens. Sorry.

Now, I am ready to take the bullets ;)

Note: I have bought all except this one and the Havoc Campaign. I bought the Ju52 and barely use it so far.

IMHO a collector plane should come with something extra in the game: a mini map with a set of missions, or a campaign, or whatever make it even more special. No harm intended but it is my opinion as a faithful buyer of the series.

I`m of the same thinking as yourself on the pricing. I have all the IL2 stuff, FC, Tank crew, BoS thru to Bodenplatte, along with all the collector planes until now. I want to support the devs as they are a great bunch. BUT I have bought a bunch of modules in DCS on sale for a little over $30 or less each. I cannot justify the $20 sale price of the U-2VS when I compare it with the value of the DCS modules sale price. Not even close. I think $10 is more than enough for a collector plane, I think they are just too overpriced for what they offer.

Edited by Wulfen

6 minutes ago, Wulfen said:

I`m of the same thinking as yourself on the pricing. I have all the IL2 stuff, FC, Tank crew, BoS thru to Bodenplatte, along with all the collector planes until now. I want to support the devs as they are a great bunch. BUT I have bought a bunch of modules in DCS on sale for a little over $30 or less each. I cannot justify the $20 sale price of the U-2VS when I compare it with the value I the DCS modules sale price. Not even close. I think $10 is more than enough for a collector plane, I think they are just too overpriced for what they offer.

I see this collectors plane as the equivalent of DCS' Yak-52....but cheaper and more relevant in the context that IL2 is set. I consider it a bargain and wish it had been available from the begining as a training craft, would have saved me a lot of heartache.

Edited by RhumbaAzul

On 12/25/2018 at 1:03 PM, BadBud said:

Comments good and not so good will be appreciated,

It's incredibly easy to fly. Requiem and I just flew a 47 min sortie on WoL (about 80 km round trip) winter map. Several guys were flying it. It was a hoot. I forgot to set the bomb delay to at least 5 seconds so all four of mine were duds. We managed to sneak into the target as the LW "high speed cheerleaders" were orbiting around. We escaped unscathed...can't say the same for the MiGs and Pe-2 that arrived as we were leaving the target area. We simply got lucky. But it was a blast.

2018_12_27__3_18_9.thumb.jpg.a2905fdb29ac21f4d9fdfc381b7bd712.jpg

2018_12_27__3_19_45.jpg

Edited by busdriver
  • Like 3

I bought it, and it's a charm to fly!

Just want to be able to use it at the BERLOGA servers !

• Like 1

I think it should be mentioned that this is one of the world's most manufactured planes, really, one of those record breakers.... no eastern front sim is complete without it.

Now, to go to it being useful! Campaigns, cometh!

9 hours ago, danielprates said:

I think it should be mentioned that this is one of the world's most manufactured planes, really, one of those record breakers.... no eastern front sim is complete without it.

Now, to go to it being useful! Campaigns, cometh!

Yup! Bring 'em on, and the ladies too!

It´s very fun to fly and it is very accurate when bombing artillery positions.

The slow speed makes it easy to drop 4 bombs in a row on the 4 artillery positions in QMB - just come in below treetop level and drop a bomb once each artillery position disappear below the nose.

Being able to add a radio in the mod selection, I hope this means that we might get the feature we had in ROF to open a map and call in artillery to hit various positions.

I would also like to see the bombsight simulated.

Didn't get time to read this all so sorry if it has already been covered but is it possible to use the dual controls online?

You should keep in mind that except from sight seing and goofing around, it can basically just be used as a slow, light and very vulnerable bomber. So if that's your thing, then you should consider buying it. I think it's well modelled and it's worth the money.

Flying with full fuel and bombs makes it almost impossible to get off the ground with let alone climb which is its own type of fun lol.

Posted (edited)

I wasn’t very eager to buy this. Sounded more like an aircraft suited for Flying Circus rather than one to be included with the likes of Me-109’s, Spits and P-47’s. Then I got thinking about the reality of the time in which it was really flown, the fact that it seemed to uphold all the details we’ve all come to expect (and I understand this was a third party studio project which means added dev power to help produce upcoming projects and as such proved a reliable third party is able to produce an aircraft to the studio’s standards of quality) plus the fact the money would be used to help continue on this fantastic series which depicts a bygone era and well, I’m happy I did. The labor put into the development of depicting such a machine such as tech specs for systems, damage modeling, the graphics themselves, flight envelope, etc., etc. I think for the money it’s very well worth it. No way I could produce this on my own. I figure I can derive endless hours of enjoyment out of this versus say, one night out for dinner for the same price?

Again, your getting a great little plane which has had its place in history but even better, your helping to fund the continuation of this great series which brings the trials and tribulations of the aviation war during this tense period of history right into our homes for us to experience. And honestly, this series is as close to the real thing I’d ever want to get.

Edited by BornToBattle
  • Like 1

I love it as a curiosity but at the moment it is not well served due to a lack of game infrastructure for it.