DocJMB

Best IL-2 Game for New Player

Frustrated Birds of Steel veteran has discovered the IL-2 games & this forum.

Wow..what a great bunch of fliers! - Lots of help/advice/fun/camaraderie from all over the world - just like the Birds of Steel Forum which Gaijin sadly took down.

Have ordered a gaming PC & about to jump in (formerly a PS3/PS4/Mac user)

Which is the best of the IL-2 game/series to get started in?

Appreciate any & all suggestions!

Merry Christmas!

...John 

• Like 4

I suggest Battle of Salingrad and Kuban It will provide most airplanes you need atm. Bomp have tha latest type , but currently they are not availeable on all servers since the map is not comming yet

• Like 1

Stalingrad is generally viewed as the best place to start.  After that it depends on your interests.  Moscow and Kuban both have their high points.  I would recommend Moscow, Stalingrad, and Kuban first as they are finished products.  Bodenplatte  is still early access - about half the planes and no map yet.  Of course, if you are just dying to fly western allied types and don't mind the wait then Bodenplatte might be what you want. 

• Like 1

Battle of Stalingrad should be your bedrock. Get it first, stretch your wings, decide whether you like it. Besides that, equipment is often the biggest showstopper for most interested in the genre. You won't get by with just a mouse. Just a joystick can be worked with but it simply does not deliver the experience that makes flight sims so special. 

My suggestion: Twistgrip Stick with throttle, then pedals (day and night difference over a twist grip stick), then a throttle quadrant or a head tracker (again a big game changer). If you want to jump the cold water a bit, you can get a Saitek HOTAS setup which would start you with all controls. Most flyers on this forum probably started with a Saitek set:)

What's your equipment setup like so far?

Edited by Mauf

Check out my IL-2 series buyers guide if you want a little backstory to how the series got to where it's currently at as well as my recommendations on which title to buy into first.

https://stormbirds.blog/2018/08/18/the-il-2-series-buyers-guide-2018-edition/

If you buy from the IL-2 website you can literally start anywhere with any of the IL-2: Great Battles Series content. If you buy from Steam you have to buy Stalingrad first but that's not a bad thing either as the content there is an excellent entry point into the series.

• Upvote 4

It's really the same game. Think of the Il-2 Sturmovik BoX games in terms of a map & time-frame + a set of aircrafts. Then choose which BoX to get based on that.

(BoX is short for Battle of ...)

- As mentioned, Battle of Bodenplatte is not completed yet. Also, it does not have a special discount now (besides the $10 discount for an Early Access purchase).

- Battle of Stalingrad and Battle of Moscow have the highest discount now.

- Whichever BoX you choose, make sure you get the Premium Edition.

- You have the option to buy them on Steam (and launch the game from Steam) or to buy them from the web store (and use the stand-alone launcher). This decision is important. I would go with the webstore option. If you go with the Steam option, you can still activate on Steam purchases from the webstore, if you "link" your Steam with your website account. But not the other way around (purchases from Steam can not be activated on the stand-alone launcher anymore).

- If you want to buy it on Steam, then you must buy Battle of Stalingrad first (and there the Premium edition of BoS is called BoS Deluxe).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’d say the best place to start if you’re new to IL-2 is IL-2 1946. Although it’s an old game, it’s still worth playing today because for $11 you can fly over 200 aircraft, can pretty much everywhere with the 30+ maps. ( Much of the Pacific theatre , Eastern Front, Svalbard, etc.) Even after all these years it’s still getting updated by Team Daidalos, and they’ve done an amazing job at making the game much more realistic than when Il-2 1946 was first released in 2006. A lot of content such as planes, maps, ships, etc have been added in these patches. I would recommend buying this game on Steam because you automatically have the latest patch: 4.13.4.

IL-2 1946 is the best IL-2 game in my opinion and is the best place to start.

Something to mention is that there are a lot of features in IL-2 1946 that haven’t been added in BoX yet.

Edited by Novice-Flyer

3 hours ago, Mauf said:

My suggestion: Twistgrip Stick with throttle, then pedals (day and night difference over a twist grip stick), then a throttle quadrant or a head tracker (again a big game changer). If you want to jump the cold water a bit, you can get a Saitek HOTAS setup which would start you with all controls. Most flyers on this forum probably started with a Saitek set:)

Head Tracker is necessary for immersive experience, so I would put it on top of the list together with good-quality (metal-gimballed) joystick. Also, unlike most rudders, Head Tracker can be used with driving games as well so you're not locking yourself into one game genre.

53 minutes ago, Novice-Flyer said:

I’d say the best place to start if you’re new to IL-2 is IL-2 1946. Although it’s an old game, it’s still worth playing today because for $11 you can fly over 200 aircraft, can pretty much everywhere with the 30+ maps. ( Much of the Pacific theatre , Eastern Front, Svalbard, etc.)

IL-2 1946 is the best IL-2 game in my opinion and is the best place to start.

Something to mention is that there are a lot of features in IL-2 1946 that haven’t been added in BoX yet.

if you want quantity go for IL2-1946, if you want quality go for IL2 Great Battles. I know which one I would choose.

• Like 1

At the current sale prices, why not buy both? I think I saw IL-2 1946 on sale for under $5 last week, and with the basic IL-2 BOS at $17 you can have both for just over a jackson. I cannot put half a tank of gas in my car for that little.

• Upvote 1

OP and cardboard_killer, just be aware that IL-2 1946 is what you might call the full combined product of the old, original IL-2 game that launched way back in ~2002 or so.  It's essentially 2 generations older than the game associated with this forum, and is not compatible with the IL-2 Great Battles series of games (Battle of Stalingrad/Moscow/Kuban/Bodenplatte).  It was a great game for its time, and many here like me owned & loved it.  It's still great fun - you just shouldn't associate it with this new series.

That said, you have a great point cardboard_killer - those prices are great for both products!  Our old friend 1946 will always be cheap now, but you have to catch a sale to get the Great Battles games at these prices.  Fortunately there are sales several times a year, so anybody new & uncertain can buy one now, try it out a few months, and catch another installment on the next sale (unless you just can't wait to buy more, OR want to support this dev team more by buying at full price).

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, =FI=Blue2 said:

It's essentially 2 generations older than the game associated with this forum,

This forum has a IL2 1946 section, but I understand 1946 is moribund. However, it is currently the best game for areas BOx hasn't been to yet. So, if you want to fly Zeros or Corsairs for now, you're stuck. Having said that, I haven't played 1946 in many years, but I think it's worth $5 for anyone who's also looking at buying a BOx module, too. Not as a substitute, just another theater while we wait for 3c to get there.

I also own CLoD, although I have never played it. But for $10 . . . maybe one day I will!

Here's a follow up newbie question though: I currently have BOM and BOS. I haven't bought BOK yet, but was thinking of skipping it and going to pre order BOBp. Frankly, I'm a bit worn out of the Russian planes and itching to get those US/British high powered fighters. Is there any estimate on when the full BOBp will be released? Should I get BOK in the meantime, or buy BOBp now to fly the already released planes?

2 hours ago, cardboard_killer said:

This forum has a IL2 1946 section, but I understand 1946 is moribund. However, it is currently the best game for areas BOx hasn't been to yet. So, if you want to fly Zeros or Corsairs for now, you're stuck. Having said that, I haven't played 1946 in many years, but I think it's worth $5 for anyone who's also looking at buying a BOx module, too. Not as a substitute, just another theater while we wait for 3c to get there.

I also own CLoD, although I have never played it. But for $10 . . . maybe one day I will!

Here's a follow up newbie question though: I currently have BOM and BOS. I haven't bought BOK yet, but was thinking of skipping it and going to pre order BOBp. Frankly, I'm a bit worn out of the Russian planes and itching to get those US/British high powered fighters. Is there any estimate on when the full BOBp will be released? Should I get BOK in the meantime, or buy BOBp now to fly the already released planes?

Best guess is that Bodenplatte will be finished or near finished by next summer. We’ve got some aircraft in early access but it’ll still be a few months before it starts to feel closer to finished.

Battle of Kuban is, IMHO, excellent. The map is the best in the series, the aircraft set is interesting, and you do get to fly some Western types like the P-39, Spitfire Vb and A-20B.

• Upvote 1

Glad you know that about 1946, cardboard_killer, but I wasn't sure the OP was aware & thought it best to clarify for him (and any others reading this) before he starts spending his $$.

I have CLOD also, and yes you should try it out - BUT it is extremely important to (a) make sure you update it to the latest version ("Blitz"), and (b) I highly recommend asking someone well versed in the game to help you get started, via teamspeak conversation or something like that, if not in person which is always best.  CLOD's interface is very different from Great Battles, and I would have struggled with it a long time if I hadn't let some friends already familiar with it talk me through the setup process.

As for your next purchase, it's a personal choice of course.  It sounds like you're jonesin' for the western front, and while the map may be 4-6 months away for all I know, most of the planes are already out so you can start to scratch that itch now if you go with BOBP, and you'll have access to each new plane as it's released.  But I would ask yourself which aspects of this series you're going to spend the most time with, because there won't be any campaigns (offline or online), any offline careers, or many [if any] dedicated western front online servers to enjoy until BOBP is officially released.  So if your focus is going to be on any of those, Kuban gives best bang for the buck for now.  Don't think you can go wrong either way.

Hey @DocJMB , I give you a warm welcome to this community. 

Like other said, battle of Stalingrad is the most smart way to start. Look into the planes and see what you like.

Do not worry about maps, as the devs are kind enough to let everybody access to all maps on multiplayer whatever you bought. Only planes you do not have will be locked.

I highly recommend you to buy directly from the webstore, it supports a lot the hard working devs team.

Have fun and a big hello to Trenton!

Whichever choice you decide, you will be ok, they are all good. I own BOM, BOK, BOS and quite a number of collector planes. I have no issues with any of the content I purchased. I like them all.

😉

and il-2 1946 is on steam winter sale until 4th Jan for less than $3US so might as well get it (as someone said already)

Welcome aboard!
Theoretically (as the others have already said) you can handle any of the parts very well. Stalingrad and Kuban have more modern airplanes (depending on the multiplayer map).  But of course Moscow is also an extremely beautiful part with very own ladies.
You could get the standard version of Stalingrad/Moskau (available until January 3rd for $17 in the Il-2 Store). So you could just test it as you like it and get an extension if you like it.  
In this sense I wish you a lot of fun in Il-2 and maybe we' ll see each other :)

Wow..I knew this was a grand forum.:good:

Thanks to all for the advice & comments.

MAUF...I have a TM T-Flight HOTAS X and a TM Warthog (which just was not compatible with the PS3 or PS4).

Over the years, I think I tried out some 5 different HOTAS set-ups with Birds of Steel & War Thunder.

The T-Flight HOTAS X was the most reliable but the WH was a simply great bit of kit!

SO my move to IL-2 and a PC was motivated by a wish to utilize all the capabilities of the Warthog.

And then I discovered this forum...talk about a bonus!

PC due to be completed next week & then will get into the IL-2 series.

Smooth Flying, all!

...John 

Edited by DocJMB
Forgot some info

18 hours ago, DocJMB said:

Wow..I knew this was a grand forum.:good:

Thanks to all for the advice & comments.

MAUF...I have a TM T-Flight HOTAS X and a TM Warthog (which just was not compatible with the PS3 or PS4).

Over the years, I think I tried out some 5 different HOTAS set-ups with Birds of Steel & War Thunder.

The T-Flight HOTAS X was the most reliable but the WH was a simply great bit of kit!

SO my move to IL-2 and a PC was motivated by a wish to utilize all the capabilities of the Warthog.

And then I discovered this forum...talk about a bonus!

PC due to be completed next week & then will get into the IL-2 series.

Smooth Flying, all!

...John 

That's great:) That means you already passed a big hurdle for entry into flight simming. Get yourself BoS and give yourself some time with it. If you feel that it sticks, get pedals and a headtracker (and a plan to hide them from the wife) and you're set. Welcome to the club.

If you don't have headtracking, I would consider it a priority. There's life before headtracking, and life after. Another bonus: It frees up a hat on your HOTAS that had to be used for viewing.

I consider headtracking just as important as a joystick, over all other equipment.

Next important is pedals. They really are a game changer. If I could go back in time, I would punch myself for using twist rudder for so long.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, 77.CountZero said:

Start with Battle of Stalingrad and then get Battle of Bodenplatte and youll be cover for some time :)

And then IL-2 1946. You’ll have great fun with that game. Graphics aren’t up to date like BoS and crashes/collisions can be unrealistic, but IL-2 1946 with patch 4.13.4 is the best of all the IL-2 games.😃😃😃

13 minutes ago, vino said:

Why premium? 😕

Because you will end up buying those extra planes anyway and it's cheaper if you go with the Premium edition from the beginning than buying the Standard edition first and then buying those 2 collector planes included in the Premium edition later.

Edited by Seb71
  • Like 1

If you want to enjoy the blue side, stanligrado and moscu are united.

With the first you will get 109 very nice and with the second you can fly the 110 and the JU-88.

Commercial strategy is called that!

Whatever you decide, I suggest you act within the next few days, since BoX is currently still on sale - both on Steam and on the IL2 webstore.

Plane-set wise, my *personal* ranking of the three titles is (and I'm excluding Bodenplatte for now, since it's early access only at this point):

1. Battle of Stalingrad

2. Battle of Moscow

3. Battle of Kuban

Note: I practically never fly Allied planes, so this list is highly subjective. Plus this ranking applies only if you get the 190 A-3 collector's plane for BoS (gotta have that sweet, sweet 190). And finally: There aren't any huge gaps between the three titles for me, meaning I find it pretty close to call which is "best" and which is "worst".

Kuban has probably the most interesting map of the three but it also has some planes I find a bit redundant (109 G-4 isn't that different from the G-2, 190 A-5 isn't that different from the A-3).

All that said: I currently own BoS and BoM and the 190 A-3, but I just put another €40 into my Steam wallet and will buy Kuban before this day ends. And I can't even access my gaming rig for the next few weeks... arrrgh! ;)

E.

Edited by 1Sascha
  • Like 2