Alfaunostebas11

"Italian" career with MC-202 Folgore

I just bought the Italian fighter MC-202 Folgore, very well done and very nice to pilot.
I intended to start a career but I had the unpleasant surprise to see myself attribute a German name, although I was correctly included in the 21nd Gruppo Autonomo Caccia of the Regia Aeronautica.
Fortunately, the name is editable and so I changed it with an Italian one. Even the history of the pilot (a German by default) can be replaced with the only existing Italian.
But then I realized that all the names of the pilots of the unit are Germans!
Now, while it is true that the participation of the Regia Aeronautica to the Russian campaign has been little more than symbolic from a quantitative point of view, if you decide to enter a campaign for Italian pilots, let's do it seriously ...
How is it possible that the pilot Paolo Rossi is seen as his squadron-leader a certain Helmut Lang ... this is really unpleasant ...
Moreover it is also true that in the context of a huge and fantastic work like IL-2 Sturmovik, this is a small mistake, like slipping on the banana peel,
that I believe easily resolvable in next updates.
So the questions I ask developers are:
1) - Is it possible for me as a user to enter the database and change the names of the pilots of this unit with Italian names?
2) - In order to fix this bug, you need me to provide you with a stock of Italian names to use, maybe even including some real pilot flying in Russia Campaign ? I am available...

Thanks for your attention and congratulations for the great work!
Stebas.

PS. Merry Christmas greetings to all !!!

Edited by Alfaunostebas11
  • Upvote 2

There is no bug here - in order to create a full-fledged Italian career, it would require a separate database of Italian names, awards, etc. The same thing happens as well with the Spanish and Slovak squadrons that can also be joined. Obviously, with just one Italian plane in the game and with time always being tight, something like this is likely not to happen. 

That said, someone might be able to point you to where the pilot name database is (one does exist somewhere), which likely could be modified and used in Mods On mode.

We will probably only see the necessary data for the minor Axis nations when it's created by community members and offered to the developers for official inclusion into the game. That's how it was done in the old Il-2. Slovak, Italian or Romanian community members could do the same in BoX.

And Spanish ;)

We worked hard to make the texts and BlackSix included it in a later updated. It was so exciting to see it ....

Edited by 15[Span.]/JG51Spartan

On 12/23/2018 at 8:35 AM, 15[Span.]/JG51Spartan said:

And Spanish ;)

We worked hard to make the texts and BlackSix included it in a later updated. It was so exciting to see it ....

Oh? Which texts? Haven´t seen it and the only thing that prevents me from doing a spanish campaign is the lack of flavor for it

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, SCG_Faerber said:

Oh? Which texts? Haven´t seen it and the only thing that prevents me from doing a spanish campaign is the lack of flavor for it

In the BOM you can make a career with the Spanish Pilots of the Blue Squadron. The story of the 15(Span.)/JG27and the ficticious biography is what I sent BlackSix.

But we are talking about Career not campaign. If you want to create the Spanish Campaign, send me a PM and we can work together! :)

Posted (edited)
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:50 PM, Alfaunostebas11 said:

I just bought the Italian fighter MC-202 Folgore, very well done and very nice to pilot.
I intended to start a career but I had the unpleasant surprise to see myself attribute a German name, although I was correctly included in the 21nd Gruppo Autonomo Caccia of the Regia Aeronautica.
Fortunately, the name is editable and so I changed it with an Italian one. Even the history of the pilot (a German by default) can be replaced with the only existing Italian.
But then I realized that all the names of the pilots of the unit are Germans!
Now, while it is true that the participation of the Regia Aeronautica to the Russian campaign has been little more than symbolic from a quantitative point of view, if you decide to enter a campaign for Italian pilots, let's do it seriously ...
How is it possible that the pilot Paolo Rossi is seen as his squadron-leader a certain Helmut Lang ... this is really unpleasant ...
Moreover it is also true that in the context of a huge and fantastic work like IL-2 Sturmovik, this is a small mistake, like slipping on the banana peel,
that I believe easily resolvable in next updates.
So the questions I ask developers are:
1) - Is it possible for me as a user to enter the database and change the names of the pilots of this unit with Italian names?
2) - In order to fix this bug, you need me to provide you with a stock of Italian names to use, maybe even including some real pilot flying in Russia Campaign ? I am available...

Thanks for your attention and congratulations for the great work!
Stebas.

PS. Merry Christmas greetings to all !!!

Should be easy to do that. All you need to do is entering the Italian names in the database and assign them to the Squadron ID. Escapes me why this hasn´t been done already.

You need SQL-Lite or a comparable editor to access the database (https://sqlitebrowser.org/). See screenshot:

Unbenannt.jpg

Edited by sevenless

Hi sevenless! Thank you for your interest.
I installed SLQLite and I arrived at the screen that you show me, even if the names I see are different from yours. But I do not know how the program works and I do not know how to edit the database and how to save it.
Also I'm afraid of making mistakes that have a serious effect on the operation of the simulator.
In any case, I proceeded to make a copy of the original "career" database.

This is the point that I have reached. What must I do ?

Immagine.thumb.jpg.28d78ba9be2939e2b1164ff23728fc39.jpg

Backup the database first! Then look for the Squad ID of your italian squad and the associated names and then start experimenting.

Example: I used one of my alter Egos flying with II/JG52, edited his Family name, stepped the timeline one day further and voila we have a Gerhard Alfaunostebas in the game with lots of kills.

Honestly I don´t know the mechanics where the game pulls which names, but I am sure you can find out with some trial and error.

Unbenannt1.jpg

Unbenannt2.jpg

Unbenannt3.jpg

Hello sevenless.

I'm experimenting with SQLite changing the Career database.
So to identify the ID number of the squadron (which does not correspond with the real number of the squadron, but is a simple number of 1-2 digits) I proceed like this:
- I create a new career on IL2
- I leave IL2
- I open career in SQLite> browse Pilot and I go in the last lines where I find the pilots associated with the last career just created. Only here I locate the ID number of the Squadron which is, for example, 7.
- I change all the names of the Italian pilots and I add others too.
At this point I have the problem of saving the new database. I can not find a save or save as command, so I just press the write changes button.
- I launch IL2 again, I go to Career, but the names are always the same as before, German pilots in this case. It seems that IL2 maintains the names of the old database.
I think perhaps I have not saved the changes, then I go back to SQLite, I open the database and I see that actually there are changed names.
If I try IL2 to delete the career and set a new one it's not a good idea, because the program gives a new ID and creates a new list of names, while the modified career in SQLite is also deleted, because it shows only the existing careers...
So it seems to me the classic dog that bites its tail ...
Where is that wrong?

Thank for you patience...

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Alfaunostebas11 said:

At this point I have the problem of saving the new database. I can not find a save or save as command, so I just press the write changes button.

Simply close the database and save when asked. See screen. Then go to the game and have a look, but do Nothing! Then close the game and open the database and find the Career ID to move this forward one day.

it-2.jpg

I think you have then to move the career date forward by one day to get the data stick in the database. To do that, go to the screen below, edit the date of the career and if asked save the file. Then go back to BoS and have a look if it worked and if it took the edited names.

it-4.jpg

Edited by sevenless

20 hours ago, 15[Span.]/JG51Spartan said:

In the BOM you can make a career with the Spanish Pilots of the Blue Squadron. The story of the 15(Span.)/JG27and the ficticious biography is what I sent BlackSix.

But we are talking about Career not campaign. If you want to create the Spanish Campaign, send me a PM and we can work together! :)

I was refering to the career, sometimes I forget we have actual campaigns as well. I am really interested however on creating these databases for minor squadrons, like Italian, Spanish, Hungarian and Romenian for the career

OK fiddled around a bit and actually it works. The game takes the edited names and the edited pilots can fly missions.  What happens when the game pulls replacements is another cettle of fish.

Conti.jpg

Conti1.jpg

Conti2.jpg

Thank you sevenless !

Problem solved !

The main key was to put forward the database's date to the next day...

Salute, Stebas.

It would be possible for some community member to put together a list of Italian, Slovak and Spanish names, prepare the files and send them to the devs asking for an official inclusion in the game? It will surely improve immersion flying those three units in the career mode :salute:

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Alexmarine28 said:

It would be possible for some community member to put together a list of Italian, Slovak and Spanish names, prepare the files and send them to the devs asking for an official inclusion in the game? It will surely improve immersion flying those three units in the career mode :salute:

The list is here, but I don´t know how to do the technical part ....

pbw8qRU0niSGAsBH3vbflRPxjoNSJa1OtFj-Sk29

45 minutes ago, Alexmarine28 said:

Would be very cool. Only Question, that only the devs can answer, is if those names can be restricted to be used in the specific squadrons and that replacements are pulled from the "master list" for those squadrons. That is a database issue, which depends on the database structure we don´t know very much about.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sevenless said:

Would be very cool. Only Question, that only the devs can answer, is if those names can be restricted to be used in the specific squadrons and that replacements are pulled from the "master list" for those squadrons. That is a database issue, which depends on the database structure we don´t know very much about.

No need to wait, as I can answer this: ;) It would absolutely require separate databases for Italy, Slovakia, etc. The career mode file structure is the same as that used in Rise of Flight. It's the reason why (in Rise of Flight) "American" squadrons like the Lafayette Escadrille use French names instead of American ones: they are all being pulled from one database being used for French squadrons, and since the Lafayette Escadrille was technically a French squadron, French names are used for said squadron. 

So, to have unique names, medals, ranks, etc., for the Spanish, Italians, and Slovaks would require, in essence, the "creation" of new nations in the game's code, to which would need to be attached a list of names, pilot biographies, medals, squadrons, etc. 

Edited by LukeFF
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

So, to have unique names, medals, ranks, etc., for the Spanish, Italians, and Slovaks would require, in essence, the "creation" of new nations in the game's code, to which would need to be attached a list of names, pilot biographies, medals, squadrons, etc. 

Then it is now the perfect time for that. New database structure has to be build for British and US Forces anyways for BoBP release. When they are at it, they can add the omitted ones in the same go and everyone would be happy and the game would get rid of the inconsistencies.

They already renamed "Axis" to Germany and "Allies" to Soviet Union, probably on it's way to create more, if what they lack is the time for research, I would be more than happy to find out and compile the info needed for a Italy nation

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If it can need, I found the list of all Italian pilots who died on the Russian front in 1941-42-43 with their rank ...
But I think the work of implementing this change is too burdensome for developers ...

If anyone has information regarding Regia Aeronautica call signs and the like, I could definitely record some Italian voice lines. Wouldn't make sense for them to keep speaking German.

Edited by Weegas