MA_Goblin

Disappearing objects in VR

Hi mates,

I have posted this as a bug in the bug report thread but I want to know if anyone else noticed this? I searched but couldn't find anything about it.

All objects like planes and trucks (so on so forth) disappears in the right eye on the RIFT and that makes tracking and spotting targets in flight really difficult and it's an immersion breaker as well.

It's roughly in the last 10% of the right screen that this happens. The interesting part is that the flames from a burning plane is still visible but the plane itself disappears!

That means someone can sneak up on you from the right and you'll never see him until to late.

Please look into this because when large view HMD arrives (Pimax) this will be a huge problem.

did you happen to remove the foam from the headset? the problem is more apparent it you did that

If you are referring to objects not being rendered at the very edges of the peripheral vision in the Rift, that is a common complaint in many games if you do a quick google search. It seems to be a limitation of the Rift, not sure what the devs can do about it.

Personally, I have never noticed it in game.

quick review of the posts regarding other games surmises it is linked to FOV and objects not being rendered outside of a defined FOV since objects which a player normally cannot see are not rendered to save CPU/GPU cycles. I would guess there is a mismatch between the Rift FOV and the FOV rendered in game.

Edited by Sgt_Joch

That might be the case with airplanes because they dissapear right at the edge of my fov. I do not consider that much of on issue. Ground targets are a bigger problem because they are only visible in a limited forward arc, say 45 degrees (not sure of exact angle). Best seen with outside view. Just move the camera around your plane and it is obvious. That is definitly Il2.

Edited by [Pb]RedeyeStorm
Spelling

Might be something to do with IPD? IIRC, when i decreased my IPD from the headset switch, objects stopped disappearing.

just ran a quick test in QMB vs ground targets, but still not seeing an issue on my system. Ground units like artillery batteries and trains are still being rendered at the very edge of the lens. 

Interesting, I only experience this in Il-2, not in DCS or any other VR game/sim. I have to experiment more. But I definitely can't put this on the Rift because no other software exhibit this behaviour as of yet. Not a deal breaker, IL-2 is still the best VR flight sim present :)

This exact issue is something I've been complaining about for a long time. Have to say the vr limits being improved was absolutely the best part of the last patch. 

Edited by 392FS_Jred

2 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Yep. Spamming the forums will 100% get this fixed. Nice one. Keep up the good work.

I take it you are being facetious for some reason... 

Im trying to bring to light the biggest issue with my enjoyment of the game with hope that i can find a solution. What is your motive?

1 hour ago, bbz said:

I take it you are being facetious for some reason... 

Im trying to bring to light the biggest issue with my enjoyment of the game with hope that i can find a solution. What is your motive?

My apologies, something weird with the web client. It seemed like you had responded to 4 threads with the same message.

1 hour ago, Alonzo said:

My apologies, something weird with the web client. It seemed like you had responded to 4 threads with the same message.

do you have any suggestions about the topic at hand?

any way to better reach developers about this seemingly glaring issue that has existed for so long?

Please name headset model, software used (openVR or opencomposite), and type of IL-2 client (via Steam or standalone) ?

The old trick of making sure that pilot head movements are not tied to anything no longer works. It has always been a problem, but this is the worst state I have seen it in. I would say the ground pounding is not viable anymore. Here are the major observations I have noticed:

*Ground units tend to disappear whenever you zoom in on them

*The locomotive is usually the only part visible on a train anymore

*If you look at an object like a pak that is surrounded by sandbags, sometimes you will see the sandbags but not the pak. It is usually difficult to see anything at all, however

It's in really bad shape right now. To the point of not being able to ground pound at all. Some ground units refuse to pop in regardless of the angle of approach, and at times it seems random.

As far as what I use: Rift S through steam vr w/ voice attack.

EDIT: As far as what it looks like visually, it's exactly as bbz's vid.

Edited by TheWarsimmer

Here's another video in addition to bbz's to further clarify the issue. Here you can see only the locomotive, and armor does not show up until right right on top. I wonder if the devs are aware of this? EDIT: Posted updated video to display multiple sources and instances.

Edited by TheWarsimmer

Noticed as well that the units just show up sometimes in VR. This literally makes Il-2 totally unplayable for me, sorry. I don't want to fight against things that have cloaking devices. Also happens to planes BTW. CV1 and Q1 (VD) here, running via 08/15 SteamVR and Oculusware 21 up.

I've noticed this sometimes too, and another thing I've noticed is sometimes the grasses only render in one eye which makes a really weird effect, so normally I just disable all grasses.

This is a bug tied to frustrum culling. Either center or range.

What are you headsets?

I gathered so far

Rift CV1 /SteamVR

Rift S  / SteamVR

Quest1 / Virtual Desktop via SteamVR

Please list yours, if it hasn't been called yet.

2 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Not sure if this helps, but just in case. I have noticed in multiplayer you will at times be able to see the pilots sitting in the cockpit next to you at spawn, but as soon as you move your head outside of that angle they disappear. I'm not entirely sure how centering factors in, because I will often see the pilots when they are in the corner of my eye, but lose them if facing head on. Oddly (as it appears to contradict the pilot observation), I have noticed that the zoom function does not cull ground objects if you approach dead center, but the vision cone is extremely small, per bbz's vid.

On 10/15/2020 at 5:58 AM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

What are you headsets?

I gathered so far

Rift CV1 /SteamVR

Rift S  / SteamVR

Quest1 / Virtual Desktop via SteamVR

Please list yours, if it hasn't been called yet.

HTC VIVE original with STEAM VR

Oculus CV1 here, i have the same problem especially when im making ground attack at very low altitude , another bug that im seen constantly is the disapearing of the crew on the planes next to me in the airfield when im running the spawn for start the engine/taxing.

I use ott and open composite.

Edited by GOA_Karaya_CRI*VR*

I've had luck by both removing the extra pilot head move controls and by making sure my headset is centered or close to center when I start the game.

(When I had the pilot head control on mouse, I could move the mouse and "Hear" the virtual head moving although it wouldn't move on my screen, so I think this affects what renders)

I've been able to spot trucks, AA, and buildings at a good distance.  HP Reverb, SteamVR

Is this just happening to people in MP?  Is it only certain types of ground objects?  And is it a consistent bug?