Sign in to follow this  
SP1969

Bullet strike sound level

As with so many things, this is a personal impression.

Is it just me, or is the sound of a bullet ( or bullets ) striking one's aircraft really quiet in FC?

Given the game AI's super sniping skills, I have, on one or two ( at least that is what I am admitting to ) occasions suffered some quite severe damage to my aeroplane without even realising I have been shot at.

I do realise that one is generally travelling away from the sound of a bullet strike and into the sound of the engine, and that most bullets fired at a canvas covered, wooden construction airframe will just pass through without even being majorly slowed down, and that one should not expect the 'clang' of a projectile striking metal, but even so, I am not hearing the impact at a level I would expect.

Perfectly prepared to accept that it is just me, I just wondered what others were thinking.

Edited by SP1969
Spelling

Well, in our talks with actual WWII Pilots, especially Joe Peterburs, the Pilots explicitly said that you didn't hear Bullet Strikes at all, in Fact you really heard very little apart from Radio and Engine Roar.

2 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann said:

Well, in our talks with actual WWII Pilots, especially Joe Peterburs, the Pilots explicitly said that you didn't hear Bullet Strikes at all, in Fact you really heard very little apart from Radio and Engine Roar.

That is interesting to read, Klaus, thank you.

Sitting in an open cockpit behind an unsilenced engine at 100 mph I would be surprised if any pilot could hear much of anything at all.  I have always thought that the external sounds in the whole series were far too loud.  The one exception would indeed be the "clang" of bullets striking metal: Lee Gould describes hearing exactly this when the petrol tank behind him was hit.  Do hits to engine and fuel tank have a distinct sound? Also perhaps bullets passing very close to you even if they do not hit.

Edited by unreasonable

3 hours ago, 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann said:

This is quite strange - I have the autobiography of Günther Rall and in one of the chapters he remembers vividly that they could actually hear

a distinct "tic-tic-tic" caused by the small caliber hits. So what now?

Edited by -IRRE-Therion

In Gould-Lee's books he often mentions his riggers finding holes in the fabric afterwards, but very rarely mentions ever hearing any impacts...

Perhaps it varied from pilot to pilot, or from plane to plane...

For gameplay purposes I think it's a nice indicator that you need to get out of dodge! Of course, that being said, I'm excited for the level of realism that FC1 seems to be going for, and I can't help but think you wouldn't hear bullets hitting any non-metal surfaces over the sound of the engine and the wind...

• Upvote 1

Interesting.

So subjective, again.

From a 'game play' perspective, it does strike one that a noise would be desirable, if not necessarily from a realism one.

That being said, a bullet knocked off one of the cocking handles today, so I couldn't use the starboard gun for the remainder of the flight.

Nice touch, developers, nice touch.

• Like 1

Compensation.

While the developers are trying to make an accurate simulation they still have to work within the limitations of gaming hardware.  A considered and well thought out soundscape can help alleviate the loss of feedback from other senses such as peripheral vision or feel. It may not be strictly accurate but then neither is sitting in front of a monitor with a re-fly button every time you die.

It would be nice to have a more pronounced difference between the barely heard thud of bullets on wood to the closer more solid plink/clunk of bullets striking the metal components situated close at hand.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 10:11 PM, SP1969 said:

That being said, a bullet knocked off one of the cocking handles today, so I couldn't use the starboard gun for the remainder of the flight.

Nice touch, developers, nice touch.

Bringing up A.G. Lee again, he mentioned one incident where a bullet from a two-seater got the flight stick right in between his legs and ricocheted off, sending the stick jolting back and pitching him into a prop-hang! 

Imagine the devs added that in!!! 

Ome other thing I think would be incredible would be prop blades getting shot off...

P.S - I heard a distinctly metal impact when my camel’s tank got hit today...coincidence?

Edited by Larner

Larner,

The sounds ARE there, no question of that, it is simply the level of volume in the overall sound mix that I am interested in getting opinions about.

Perhaps Chill wouldn't mind stooging about in his Dr1 whilst someone adds extra ventilation with a suitable .303 inch calibre instrument, so we can get the first hand evidence.

Hmm.

Maybe not. 

Edited by SP1969