Sign in to follow this  
335th_GRerich2

Upgrade my pc

Hi everybody! I want to upgrade my pc and i am thinking buy a ryzen 5 2600 (6 cores,12 threads) because is cheaper from intel cpu .Also i  have gtx 1060 3 gb .Is it good choise or you think intel is better for this game??

Thank you!!

Ryzen 5 2600 is a good choice from the price/performance point of view.

There are better CPUs, including Intel CPUs, but at higher prices (even much higher). But then, yor graphics card is not a top one, either. So I'll say go for Ryzen 5 2600.

Yes, the Ryzen 5 2600 is a reasonable choice when paired with a mid-range graphics card like the 1060. 

Ryzens don’t have the best performance in Il-2 due to poor single-thread performance. However, that’s largely irrelevant at this price point, as low-end Intel options won’t be much better.

Single thread performance of Ryzen is hardly poor. These are not AMD FX CPUs.

3 hours ago, Seb71 said:

Single thread performance of Ryzen is hardly poor. These are not AMD FX CPUs.

It’s better than FX, of course, but FX was atrocious. In PassMark Single Thread, for example, the highest Ryzen scores 2224 compared to Intel’s 2900. In Il-2, this difference is vital for VR performance. 

Again, none of this matters for a midrange build where value is more important than maximum performance.

8 hours ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

It’s better than FX, of course, but FX was atrocious. In PassMark Single Thread, for example, the highest Ryzen scores 2224 compared to Intel’s 2900. In Il-2, this difference is vital for VR performance. 

Again, none of this matters for a midrange build where value is more important than maximum performance.

Not all Intel CPUs have 2900 score in that Passmark Single thread benchmark. Only i9 9900K. And that CPU costs over 3 times more than Ryzen 5 2600.

The single thread performace of Ryzen 5 2600, while not the best, is OK. Far fom poor.

So saying "get an Intel CPU because the best Intel CPU has better single thread performace than the best AMD CPU" is bad advice in such cases when you are not looking to buy the best CPU you can get (no matter the cost), but the best CPU for a certain amount of money.

9 hours ago, Seb71 said:

Not all Intel CPUs have 2900 score in that Passmark Single thread benchmark. Only i9 9900K. And that CPU costs over 3 times more than Ryzen 5 2600.

The trend continues across the lineup. The i3-8350K at 2341 and i5-8400 at 2335 beat all Ryzens.

9 hours ago, Seb71 said:

The single thread performace of Ryzen 5 2600, while not the best, is OK. Far fom poor.

That all depends on your intended use.

9 hours ago, Seb71 said:

So saying "get an Intel CPU because the best Intel CPU has better single thread performace than the best AMD CPU" is bad advice in such cases when you are not looking to buy the best CPU you can get (no matter the cost), but the best CPU for a certain amount of money.

Never did I say that OP should get an Intel CPU. I only brought up the issue because someone might be curious why the otherwise excellent Ryzen CPUs aren’t ideal for gaming despite their high thread counts.

Then what's your point with all this talk about Intel CPUs?

Can you name a better CPU (from Intel) at the same price as Ryzen 5 2600?

Otherwise you are just introducing confusion, for no good reason, making him to doubt his CPU choice.

3 minutes ago, Seb71 said:

Can you name a better CPU (from Intel) at the same price as Ryzen 5 2600?

I am currently building a new rig for myself and I chose  Intel Core i3-8350K with good quality air cooler (Noshua 14S). Allegedly it is easy to overclock the chip to at least 4.5Ghz and even at stock 4.0Ghz it beats your Ryzen in single-threaded performance which is preferred by il2: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

The single-thread performance difference is minor and i3-8350K is usually a little more expensive than Ryzen 5 2600, too.

Regarding the cooler: I think you meant Noctua 14S cooler (not Noshua). And that cooler increases the price by at least 30%. Not to mention that in order to achieve a serious overclock you need a more expensive motherboard, with good VRMs.

Edited by Seb71

23 minutes ago, Seb71 said:

Then what's your point with all this talk about Intel CPUs?

OP explicitly asked whether Intel CPUs are better for the game. It would be unfair to hide it.

15 minutes ago, Seb71 said:

The single-thread performance diference is minor and i3-8350 is usually a little more expensive than Ryzen 5 2600, too.

Almost 10%, plus much larger gains through overclocking. Besides, the i3 certainly isn’t usually more expensive. 

17 minutes ago, Seb71 said:

And that cooler increases the price by at least 30%. Not to mention that in order to achieve a serious overclock you need a more expensive motherboard, with good VRMs.

You really don’t need expensive coolers or high-end VRMs for basic overclocking.

A 10% difference is hardly noticeable (outside benchmarks).

Are you going to overclock the i3 with the included cooler? Good luck.

There is no included cooler with the 8350K. Anyway, the fact remains that Intel CPUs can achieve the highest performance in Il-2 by a large margin. Nevertheless, the value of Ryzen is more important to some.

So as I said. You have to include the price of the cooler. Which significantly increases the "package price" and no longer makes the two choices comparable in price.

In my country Ryzen 5 2600 is consistently cheaper than Core i3 8350K (without adding the price of the cooler for i3). For instance, right now the price of Ryzen 5 2600 is 80% of the price of i3 8350K.

I asked for a better alternative at the same price as Ryzen 5 2600.

Sorry, I didn't realize you lived in Romania, try i5-7500 which does come with a cooler and beats Ryzen 5 2600 in single-thread performance.

Or if that's too expensive:  i3-8100

Edited by WheelwrightPL

Nobody is denying that Ryzen processors offer great performance for the price. However, not everybody cares about that value. Some people just want the best performance, and Intel Core clearly wins in that respect. At least for now.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo

@WheelwrightPL
Ha ha. I'm not the one looking to buy. But i5 7500 (if you can still find it) is still more expensive than Ryzen 5 2600 here.

@Mitthrawnuruodo

I suppose that someone which has a GTX 1060 3GB can't easily afford a i9 9900K. And if he could, he should not stick to that GTX 1060 3GB.

1 minute ago, Seb71 said:

@Mitthrawnuruodo

I suppose that someone which has a GTX 1060 3GB can't easily afford a i9 9900K. And if he could, he should not stick to that GTX 1060 3GB.

That’s exactly what I said in my first post. Nevertheless, there is nothing wrong with pointing out that faster options do exist.

Picked up a Ryzen 2600 last week.

Runs IL2 flawlessly, holding at 60FPS all the way through. I only wish now that I had a more powerful GPU (R9 290) to really push things along.

Intel prices are a joke, especially if you need to include a motherboard upgrade for a new socket.

There are a bunch of people arguing past each other in this thread. Without an actual concrete specification for what we want to achieve there will be no 'right' answer.

• What's the budget? (and for which country should we compare prices?)
  • What's the target screen resolution and refresh rate?
  • Do you care about anything other than just IL2 performance?

There is going to be a particular answer to the problem "what's the best $500 computer for IL2 on a 60hz 1080p monitor?" and it may or may not be a Ryzen (and in fact we'd still have to benchmark to prove our results). You'll get a different answer to "what's the best $1500 computer for IL2 on a 100hz 1440p monitor and I'm thinking about VR in future so it needs to be ready for that."

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Alonzo said:

There are a bunch of people arguing past each other in this thread. Without an actual concrete specification for what we want to achieve there will be no 'right' answer.

• What's the budget? (and for which country should we compare prices?)
  • What's the target screen resolution and refresh rate?
  • Do you care about anything other than just IL2 performance?

There is going to be a particular answer to the problem "what's the best $500 computer for IL2 on a 60hz 1080p monitor?" and it may or may not be a Ryzen (and in fact we'd still have to benchmark to prove our results). You'll get a different answer to "what's the best $1500 computer for IL2 on a 100hz 1440p monitor and I'm thinking about VR in future so it needs to be ready for that."

Exactly that.

Why everything you say make always so much sense? 

• Haha 1