6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann

What draws you to historical Flight Sims

What draws you to the World of Flight Simming (Civil and Combat)  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is it:

• The Airmanship (Being a responsible Pilot, knowing all the Ways of Operating your Aircraft to it's best abilites in Economy, Performance and Handling and exploring its Limits/Being a Flymonkey)
    • The Warrior (Protecting your Comrades while defeating the Enemy on the Ground and in the Air)
    • The Glory (Being the Best)
    • The Tactician (conducting Large Scale Operations, Making Plans and Contingencies, Planning Routes and hitting where it hurts with Force, writing Briefings and After Action Reports etc./The Armchair General)
    • The Artist (knowing every Color by Name, when it where it was applied, creating Skins of Aircraft you see and love IRL, or those you Dream of)
    • The Mechanic (you know and learn about all the Variations in Airframes and Engines and their chronological Order, you know the Documents, Intelligence and Test Reports on the Aircraft you love)
    • The Reporter (you love to make Artwork, Films and Videos, Editing is your Life)
    • The Historian (you are part of a Historical Squadron, you know where every Unit was Stationed, you love reading Reports and Historical Artifacts and Memoires and want to reenact)
    • The Logistics (you are the Waterboy for the Front you get in, what needs getting in, and get out what needs getting out and Officers where they need to be)
  2. 2. How do you relate to real Aviation

• Work as Pilot
    • Work as Crew
    • Just as a Hobby/Sport
    • RC and Drones
    • Go to Airshows
    • Not at all

I just ticked Reporter because the most satisfying thing recently has been making videos, but I think to an extent it is all of the above.  

Love of history for me, and growing up near a large military base (March Air Force Base) also helped. 

Ticked warrior and mechanic. That said, the most important factor aren't even available.

- The pure immersion to fly in VR, which is the biggest sensation there is to be had on/with a computer.

- The social presence when you see your wingmen actually flying close left and right to you, which can create actual friendships over thousands of miles..

All started growing up next to the Möhne-dam - a boy standing in front of that HUGE dam. My uncle showing me the former breech in the stonework, places where he had to help after the flood. That dam, broken by one plane, one bomb? How that? Relatives & veterans talking about the (air) war, 30 y later still shaken to the bone. NATO-low-level-training-area anywhere, jets day-by-day (and night), dogfights over the roofs, that noise, supersonic booms. There was no way (for me) to ignore the history of military aviation.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 216th_Retnek said:

All started growing up next to the Möhne-dam - a boy standing in front of that HUGE dam. My uncle showing me the former breech in the stonework, places where he had to help after the flood. That dam, broken by one plane, one bomb? How that? Relatives & veterans talking about the (air) war, 30 y later still shaken to the bone. NATO-low-level-training-area anywhere, jets day-by-day (and night), dogfights over the roofs, that noise, supersonic booms. There was no way (for me) to ignore the history of military aviation.

Same sort of thing for me. Grew up within a few miles of RAF Manston. Battle of Britain country and a lot of local memories still fresh. Climbed all over the Manston Spitfire (TB752) when it stood outside as a gate guardian. Later on flew in Chipmunks from Manston when in the Air Cadets and was also part of a guard of honour for Stanford-Tuck and some of the other BoB pilots at the local premiere of the BoB movie. Like Retnek, no way that the history could be ignored.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, II./JG77_Manu* said:

Ticked warrior and mechanic. That said, the most important factor aren't even available.

- The pure immersion to fly in VR, which is the biggest sensation there is to be had on/with a computer.

- The social presence when you see your wingmen actually flying close left and right to you, which can create actual friendships over thousands of miles..

I would count that as being a Flymonkey. Someone who flies for flying's sake. And Warrior pretty much covers the Second Point. 

On 12/3/2018 at 10:45 AM, II./JG77_Manu* said:

This aspect came in later and soon grew into something really beautiful. In my case mainly due to IL2-46, Hyperlobby and teamspeak. Hey, within a few years it became an ONE world-hobby! Fly together with contacts from all over the world, >> 90 % were very friendly, open-minded and like me just glad to "fly" (and talk) with others. Reminded me on the motives of some pilots after WW1 who have seen themselves as kind of messenger for peoples understanding. Long distance flights over borders, over mountains, over seas - look people, it's one world, one mankind, no need for a WW1 again, never!

Flying multiplayer in many aspects is better than risking your life live in ex-WW1-war-crates. Unlike the pilots in the 1920's there was no need for wealthy upper-class-parents or a newspaper-contact. Just a PC and a decent data-line, what a progress! Looking back it is an astonishing privilege to find some of my childhood-dreams fulfilled, in some aspects overfull-filled.

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:43 PM, 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann said:

Well, I ticked Mechanic and Airmanship

I am in for airmqanship and logistics. I cannot fly a fighterbomber if there is something that carry more bombs around. I cannot look at a airbase not having any bombloads left.

Airmanship is kind of a setback. it is this that make me not fly BOX anymore, not online anymore. The obvious competition going on where kills and only that count is simply overwhelming. BOOp pack will not make this better. I think there will be only fighter pilots left flying in a while

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Leon_Portier said:

Not much to tick for me, I just like exploring the planes and maps. Aerobatics are great too!

Outside of sims, I dont have much to do with flying unfortunately, since its expensive...

It isn't. Enter a flying Club, get your Work Hours in and you can often fly very cheaply, since Teachers are free, aircraft cost very little and Winch Launches normally go for 3 to 8 Euros per Take-Off. You can do a lot of flying for less than 100€ a Month. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann said:

It isn't. Enter a flying Club, get your Work Hours in and you can often fly very cheaply, since Teachers are free, aircraft cost very little and Winch Launches normally go for 3 to 8 Euros per Take-Off. You can do a lot of flying for less than 100€ a Month. 

Absolutely this. I learned to glide for about £150 a month and that was flying nearly every weekend. It sounds a lot but if you want to fly it’s not too hard to find (less than £50 a week). And a winch launch in a glider beats any take off in a Cessna type thing. 

Mechanic and airman-ship/airshows and hobby.

I view the game as a flight sim with guns, always fly without technochat on, 

it  forces me to learn what every button, switch and  lever does.

And 35 years as a mechanic, so i can appreciate the detail of modelling.

I love airshows (Flying Legends, Duxford every year)

And i've flown in a few light aircraft, Chipmunk, Tigermoth, Bulldog, gliders etc.

Also ive made (and met) many new friends through simming in the last 20 years.

I’m afraid none of these quite apply. I’m drawn to simulated dogfighting for the same reason I’m drawn to chess or fencing. All of these things are endlessly fascinating strategic contests, allowing vast creativity within a set of logical rules and principles. 

An interesting question. What made me stick around flight sims was actually the gunnery (and by extension, the flying stuff necessary to get it applied). I'm usually just a mediocre flyer when it comes to flying clean and tactical, conserving E and getting the maximum out of my plane (safe for the Hurricane in CloD maybe since I flew it almost exclusively back then). But I take great enjoyment in landing those wild long distance or crazy deflection shots.

This is one of my favourite shots (Video quality is messy but I actually managed to vent the guy):

When I get a shot or two like these once an evening I'm a happy camper:)

I'm interested in the human side.  The men and women who flew.  The sights sounds and personal experiences of pilots and crews.  The fears and the motivations.

I did not vote because this was not an available option.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

I'm interested in the human side.  The men and women who flew.  The sights sounds and personal experiences of pilots and crews.  The fears and the motivations.

I did not vote because this was not an available option.

Put your Tick in the Historian, as History is all about the People.

Because CFS have the most informative forum threads on a wide variety of historical, tactical and technical topics: and the most entertaining forum fights!

• Upvote 1

On 12/3/2018 at 10:45 AM, II./JG77_Manu* said:

The social presence when you see your wingmen actually flying close left and right to you, which can create actual friendships over thousands of miles..

I'll definitely second that.

For me the biggest art are air combat tactics. Modern air combat tactics represent a scientific approach to air combat. As a scientist I am totally into that. Applying modern air combat tactics as well as knowledge of aerodynamics and physics to the seemingly chaotic combat arena and sharing that with friends is priceless. It's a journey, with no end in sight but full of opportunities to learn, develop, and share.

Posted (edited)

My father was RNZAF ground crew, (instruments technician), during WW2 and was active in the local RSA. (Returned Services Association).

As a young boy I always attended the annual Air Force Picnic, and went to air shows at RNZAF Ohakea Aerodrome with Dad and his mates, whose number included wartime pilots, aircrew and ground crew. One was Uncle Bob, an ex Lancaster tail gunner who survived 2 tours, against all odds.

My favourite reading material when young were so-called war comics, especially the air combat variety, which featured very detailed and accurate depictions of all the WW2 aircraft.

When I was 15 I shared the cost (half of $30!) of a 15 min flight in a Piper Super Cub, with a classmate who had just gained his solo rating, and he handed me the controls for 10 minutes.

I never went on to take lessons as I'd resolved to do at the time, but I have retained a keen interest in aviation generally, and particularly as applies to WW2 aircraft.

This flight sim, and another I used to enjoy 20 yrs ago, are affordable means to not only  enjoy a close approximation of flying a plane, but to enjoy flying a high-powered taildragger that the vast majority of RL pilots could never hope to do. 

So, it's a schoolboy fascination, borne of early cultural immersion, that drew me here.

The strong community spirit is just a bonus!

Edit: Oh, and I forgot one very relevant point. I think we all have in our genes at least remnants of hunter/gatherer/warrior instincts. I do love the thrills

of combat, kill or be killed!

Edited by jaygee485

Voted historian since my grandfather flew stukas on the eastern front. So I grew up with his wartime stories. And from my other grandfather I got "the blond knight of Germany" to read as a 12 year old :)

IRL I have little to do with aviation. 

None of the above, i just wanted to play something different to the train sims i have been using for nearly 18 years.

Mike.

Posted (edited)

I'm just a machine worshiper in general so its "The Mechanic" for me.

And I'm an A&P in real life so...

Edited by Motherbrain