kem

Xbox One controller

I have recently spent some time with JoyToKey mapping tool and found out that you can do awesome things for IL-2 with an xbox one or any other controller that doesn't have many buttons.

I'm not sure if many people would like to use this kind of simple controllers for this game but it worked for me and I'm happy with it. So I wanted to share.

The best thing is that it needed almost no modification at all to the default key mappings of the game.

If anyone is interested, I can send my config file. 

Here is a quick guide to my layout. I haven't done some advanced bomber functions and camera controls yet (I fly in VR). But there is still room for many other mappings.
xboxone_layout.thumb.png.f8df7e35aae9187d626a6ff4242fb70e.png

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

That's an interesting discovery there, but in actual practice, I don't see how it would provide any benefit over straight keyboard presses.  That's an awful lot of fiddly combinations to remember.  It would drive me nuts to do things that way. 

whoa! been looking for someone to create this, any chance for getting the config?🙏

On 11/17/2018 at 10:03 AM, kem said:

I have recently spent some time with JoyToKey mapping tool and found out that you can do awesome things for IL-2 with an xbox one or any other controller that doesn't have many buttons.

I'm not sure if many people would like to use this kind of simple controllers for this game but it worked for me and I'm happy with it. So I wanted to share.

The best thing is that it needed almost no modification at all to the default key mappings of the game.

If anyone is interested, I can send my config file. 

Here is a quick guide to my layout. I haven't done some advanced bomber functions and camera controls yet (I fly in VR). But there is still room for many other mappings.

Kem that is awesome - can I get a copy of your config?

On 11/25/2018 at 2:27 AM, SeaSerpent said:

That's an interesting discovery there, but in actual practice, I don't see how it would provide any benefit over straight keyboard presses.  That's an awful lot of fiddly combinations to remember.  It would drive me nuts to do things that way. 

If you play on VR, a keyboard is very hard to USE, I guess it's better learn the combinations.

I have improved it a little bit since my first post actually. But I haven't generated the layout document yet.
I'll try to do it this weekend and post here. 😉

12 hours ago, kem said:

I have improved it a little bit since my first post actually. But I haven't generated the layout document yet.
I'll try to do it this weekend and post here. 😉

Can you help how you create the controller combos in joytokey? I use it to assign keyboard combos to single controller inputs but don't know how to assign keyboard combos to controller combos.

Thanks

Thats great but how do you program that I try and map this config and it will only accept one button push 

I started with an Xbox controller and it did me very well. If I take my laptop out I can still use it and be competitive but I never went to this level of programming. Well done!

Sorry guys. I didn't have time to create the document yet (I'll do it as soon as I can).

But I'm posting my new config file anyway. Each assignment has a description in the config file that you can see in JoyToKey.

Please disregard the bindings in my first post. This one is totally new and works much better for me.

This config assumes that you have the default key bindings in the game. Just set the left stick to roll/pitch axis and the right stick to rudder axis.

Make sure that the 'K' key is left unassigned in the game.

Set 'Y' to Reset VR.

I'm still using my mouse in game menus.

The left trigger is assigned to 'Home' key for zoom with 3Dmigoto mod. You need to change or disable the assignments involving the 'K' key in the mod.

Please note that I've never tried sending this to anyone before. You might have some issues getting it to work. We'll try to figure them out together.

Enjoy! :)

Il-2 v2.zip

On 1/12/2019 at 2:11 PM, -[HRAF]Black_Sab said:

Can you help how you create the controller combos in joytokey? I use it to assign keyboard combos to single controller inputs but don't know how to assign keyboard combos to controller combos.

Thanks

In order to make controller combos, you have to create different joystick configurations in JTK and assign controller buttons to activate them. Then in the assigned joystick configuration, you can assign any controller button to any keyboard button/combos. 

On 1/12/2019 at 7:14 PM, zelil said:

Thats great but how do you program that I try and map this config and it will only accept one button push 

Are you trying to do the mapping in the game ? The game won't allow controller button combos directly. You may still do it manually in the game's binding files but it's not very easy either.

I recommend you to spend some time with JoyToKey. It allows a huge number of combos easily once you understood how it works.

On 1/12/2019 at 7:20 PM, AeroAce said:

I started with an Xbox controller and it did me very well. If I take my laptop out I can still use it and be competitive but I never went to this level of programming. Well done!

Thank you AeroAce. I really like VR flying from my couch and I'm happy I found a way to do it. :)