• EAW
    • CFS2
    • CFS3
    • IL2-46
    • DCS
    • CloDo
    • BoX
    • Wings Over The Reich

A little poll, just by curiosity, to see what AI do you prefer in the history of Combat sims.
This poll goes about Fighters and Heavy fighters, the bombers are left outside.
If you could comment what specific title leaved you the best impression and because of what.
thanks.

I'll go with il2-46, because it was simply the most consistent of them all. Ai being tweaked through the patches, sometimes for better , sometimes for worse, but was always corrected.
AI has no predefined pattern and could suprise you sometimes.

Edited by JV69badatflyski

Battle of Britain II Wings of Victory would be my choice, but not on the list. It's adjustable and has a large array of offensive and defensive maneuvers based on opponent skill level. All the way from novice to terminator. On you list I'd go with IL2-46 for the reasons you've mentioned.

• Upvote 3

I haven't played Wings over the Reich or the Rowan BoB, so I'd have to say the current diadalos  versions of 1946. 

EAW gets an honourable mention for number of aircraft flying at once.

CloD and BoX each get a slap with a wet fish for the two worst efforts in AI radio coms.

• Upvote 4

I'd probably go for an ealier sim actually... I remember some sims might not have had the best AI but had more varied AI behaviours (thinking Red Baron I, AOE), and others which had AI I found hard to beat (some SDOE settings ...at least so long as they didn't fly into the ground).

AI is the area that is most lacking in sims. I'm surprised anyone prefers the Il-2:1946 AI actually.

Edited by Avimimus

What is needed for Wings Over The Reich .

My vote goes too BOBII wov.

10 hours ago, [CPT]Crunch said:

Rowans Battle of Britain and Mig Alley, class of it's own.

I'd support this, maybe I was younger and more enthusiastic, but the AI was really impressive. Sadly I never felt at home with the graphics-engine.

Posted (edited)

I think OBD's WOTR & WOFF are the top dogs here (but that is their thing - lifelike, superb AI (and single player dynamic campaigns)). IL2 1946 is very decent (though I feel not so much with the low powered pre-WWII stuff (but I think that is more of an issue of AI not able to fly them well in my experience - but hey, this is about WWII (so 1946 is a solid choice too)). And just an FYI - EAW has been getting modern and recent AI adjustments (eg. EAWPRO) to its already very solid AI overall and is definitely worth consideration. And just some props to BOX - the current AI as of this moment is way better than it use to be - they have come long ways, though still some distance to go, but kudos for the work so far.

...ahhh, CFS2....damn wingmen and flight mates were morons...

Edited by Redwo1f

Those IL-2 FB AI were relentless! They would gang up on you while your AI wingmen chased them in Ace mode. In veteran they were pretty decent. You just couldn't sneak up on them - with that 300M 360 spherical view.