CMBailey

How much of a bribe to get P-47 this week?

...I say we get a figure and then start passing the hat around gentlemen.

• Upvote 1

Would you have them release something that isn't ready to be released?  I wouldn't.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Who is this gwound pounder to whom you wefer???

It delivers valuable balms

image.png.f2bd3bad37e212224818842a3b391eda.png

Nisus Wettus: Crucifixion?
Mr. Cheeky: Ah, no.  Freedom.
Nisus Wettus: What?
Mr. Cheeky: Eh, freedom for me. They said I hadn't done anything, so I can go free and live on an island somewhere.
Nisus Wettus: Oh, oh that´s jolly good well. Off you go then.
Mr. Cheeky: No, I'm only pulling your leg, it's crucifixion really!
Nisus Wettus: Oh, I see, very good. Well...
Mr. Cheeky: Yes I know, out the door, one cross each, line on the left.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SeaSerpent said:

Would you have them release something that isn't ready to be released?  I wouldn't.

No but we have a limited supply of patience. Eventually, they will have to release something ready, or not. Otherwise, the early access scheme would be pointless. No one is expecting perfectly polished stuff at this point and future fixes will come.

I remember that the original P-40 FM was broken; got update of course later but was it a bad thing the Kittyhawk was available sooner than the fix?

Edited by Ehret
  • Confused 1

Just think of the DCS-1944 backers still waiting for their P-47D-28 (they’re on their 6th year by now). Suddenly it’s not that hard to find a few days or a couple of weeks worth of patience.

Edited by Finkeren
  • Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Finkeren said:

Just think of the DCS-1944 backers still waiting for their P-47D-28 (they’re on their 6th year by now). Suddenly it’s not that hard to find a few days or a couple of weeks worth of patience.

6 years? holy shi..! 😀

16 minutes ago, catchthefoxes said:

No one knows when, not even the devs

Disagree. P-47 this Wednesday or next Wednesday on 64" with no tailfin extension. Call me clairvoyant.

• Like 1

First time a G6 blows your wing off you'll wish you'd waited another week.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Archie said:

First time a G6 blows your wing off you'll wish you'd waited another week.

you really think it'll be that bad?

24 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

Disagree. P-47 this Wednesday or next Wednesday on 64" with no tailfin extension. Call me clairvoyant.

I can guarantee that it will certainly be 64" since this is the 9th AAF we are talking about and not the 8th.

64" is not bad at all and will give us competitive speeds at mid-high altitudes and we'll be the fastest thing in the sky above 28-30k ft (save for the 262)

The dorsal fin isn't needed but would be a nice addition, it wont affect overall performance.

Edited by Legioneod

5 minutes ago, catchthefoxes said:

Nah, the model will be released in a completed state - no worries. It might have the odd bug here and there, but likely nothing serious.

As for whether it will be any good: Like the Fw 190 I think it’ll take some careful piloting to use effectively and some experience to get to know the quirks and limitations of the airframe. At first we’ll likely see a lot of pilots floundering at low speed + low altitude cursing the useless piece of American trash.

• Upvote 1

I just hope the durability of the aircraft is somewhat accurate. I have yet to find a game that portrays the Jug's historical ruggedness.

6 minutes ago, Finkeren said:

Nah, the model will be released in a completed state - no worries. It might have the odd bug here and there, but likely nothing serious.

As for whether it will be any good: Like the Fw 190 I think it’ll take some careful piloting to use effectively and some experience to get to know the quirks and limitations of the airframe. At first we’ll likely see a lot of pilots floundering at low speed + low altitude cursing the useless piece of American trash.

Just like the russians did.

1 minute ago, lord_certalic said:

I just hope the durability of the aircraft is somewhat accurate. I have yet to find a game that portrays the Jug's historical ruggedness.

They got it pretty accurate with the P-40. Add the extra durability of an air-cooled radial, and we should have one of the tougher planes south of the IL-2.

2 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

Just like the russians did.

Yeah, I don’t envy the Soviet pilots who had to fly it on missions that it was wholly unsuited for.

1 hour ago, catchthefoxes said:

The Jug is a potential energy monster; pilot guides strongly suggests cutting power in dives unless one wants to meet the Terra-Firma. Kinda the P-40 is now but much more powerful. You need the engine in the P-47 for initial climb and cruise, only - well, not really but close.

The point is the driver in Jug will do fine if will avoid certain situations. The Thunderbolt has plenty of perks but not all - no air-frame can have all.

1 hour ago, Finkeren said:

They got it pretty accurate with the P-40. Add the extra durability of an air-cooled radial, and we should have one of the tougher planes south of the IL-2.

The ditch ability of the P-39 is also well represented in the sim. Saved my virtual pilot many times. The P-47 should be even safer.

Edited by Ehret

3 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

I'd pay just to stop yet another thread on the P-47...

Better keep your money in the pocket right now and wait for the tsunami of threads emerging when the Jug gets released. ;)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ehret said:

The Jug is a potential energy monster; pilot guides strongly suggests cutting power in dives unless one wants to meet the Terra-Firma. Kinda the P-40 is now but much more powerful. You need the engine in the P-47 for initial climb and cruise, only - well, not really but close.

The point is the driver in Jug will do fine if will avoid certain situations. The Thunderbolt has plenty of perks but not all - no air-frame can have all.

The ditch ability of the P-39 is also well represented in the sim. Saved my virtual pilot many times. The P-47 should be even safer.

Besides the altitude and dive performance the Jug also has the reputation of good roll and low speed handling (not to be confused with good low speed turn rate). Meaning all is not lost for a Jug pilot even when they can’t just dive out of trouble.

Edited by CMBailey

12 minutes ago, SYN_Mike77 said:

where are you getting the Jug had a good roll rate?

First hand accounts mostly and test reports. It wasn't the fastest roll by any means, but realistically it should outroll every axis aircraft in-game except for the 190.

I've also seen videos of P-47s rolling and it was pretty quick, around 85-90 deg. second. There are plenty of conflicting reports,  but all say it had a good roll rate.

Edited by Legioneod

30 minutes ago, SYN_Mike77 said:

where are you getting the Jug had a good roll rate?

From Robert S. Johnson.

And from every other game that has ever had a Jug in it.

Edited by CMBailey

17 minutes ago, CMBailey said:

From Robert S. Johnson.

He should know. P-47 wasn´t the plane with the highest scoring aces by accident.

Edited by sevenless

12 minutes ago, sevenless said:

He should know. P-47 wasn´t the plane with the highest scoring aces by accident.

Technically not the highest scoring aces that goes to the P-38. The P-47 did have the highest aces in Europe though, and maybe even the most aces but I'm not sure on that.

The 56th FG alone had 39 aces and over 650 aerial victories to a loss of only around 45.

Edited by Legioneod

15 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

image.png.2fbb5e9cfbd488c63c84caa7a1b99581.png

In comparison of various allied aircraft the P-47 and Tempest were said to be the best at rolling above 400 mph.

I'd like to know what the criteria was for these test since roll rate varies a bit depending on circumstances. (speed, altitude, applied stick forces, etc)

It's interesting to me how data varies so much between different test, but then again it may just be that we don't have the complete picture.

Another thing to consider is that those test were with a P-47C Razorback, things could have potentially changed once the bubbletop was introduced.

3 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

I'd like to know what the criteria was for these test since roll rate varies a bit depending on circumstances. (speed, altitude, applied stick forces, etc)

image.thumb.png.4e67fda36873c693f3c6a8d8ea775be4.png

14 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

image.thumb.png.4e67fda36873c693f3c6a8d8ea775be4.png

Thanks. Question is whether the bubbletop had any advantage or disadvantage in roll rate? I don't think it would be exactly the same as the razorbacks since they are rather different aerodynamically are they not?

Another thing, if more stick forces were applied what would the results be? Theres just too many variables to get an accurate representation with the limited P-47 data we have imo.

Edited by Legioneod

Are we going to get the razorback P-47 at some point?

3 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

Thanks. Question is whether the bubbletop had any advantage or disadvantage in roll rate? I don't think it would be exactly the same as the razorbacks since they are rather different aerodynamically are they not?

Another thing, if more stick forces were applied what would the results be? Theres just too many variables to get an accurate representation with the limited P-47 data we have imo.

Is it to version where it got a bit unstable after the bubble or the later one when they fixed it? I remember reading something about instability. I'm not a P47 fanatic so I've no clue.

1 minute ago, 7./JG26_Smokejumper said:

Are we going to get the razorback P-47 at some point?

Maybe, it all depends on what the devs decide. We're more likely to get one if we go to normandy or certain PTO areas.

3 minutes ago, 7./JG26_Smokejumper said:

Is it to version where it got a bit unstable after the bubble or the later one when they fixed it? I remember reading something about instability. I'm not a P47 fanatic so I've no clue.

The bubbletops suffered from yaw instability but this was remedied a bit with the addition of a dorsal fin. It wont really effect the performance of the aircraft but it'll be a bit more unstable.

Roll in planes of this sort is generally  a matter of aileron design, aspect ratio (lower is better), and how the mass of the aircraft is distributed. The difference between bubble top versus straight back shouldn’t matter much to roll. That’ll have more effect on yaw stability or lack thereof.

Same answer than for the Tempest;

The P-47 shall be released when it is judged ready, not before.

Have fun! :salute:

They devs wanted to fly the P47 to our systems, but there are very bad weather issues, thunderstorms, tornados, hurricanes on the route.

So we have to wait until all calms down. Next met report in a week. 

In the meantime they will polish a little more the plane. 🙂 

This is a huge game changer for this sim. Once we get the P-47 and the P-51, I have no doubt that these 2 planes will bring a new life to this flight simulator. Having 2 of the best planes in the history of the war,  the allies will now be able to bring the hurt to the axis side.  Im super excited to see this next addon roll out . Bring on Bodenplatte!