=EXPEND=DendroAspis

Why has ammo bug not been fixed yet???

If you're talking about the Bf109 missing ammo in some multiplayer servers it's probably because the cause of the bug is difficult to reproduce. Some players have never seen it. It's a relative rarity.

If it happens, record everything you can and send it in. Track files, server, aircraft setup procedure, scenario on the server, etc.

• Upvote 1

Is there a good soul that could enlighten cavemen like me, who have no idea what is discussed here? Thx.

1 hour ago, CrazyDuck said:

Is there a good soul that could enlighten cavemen like me, who have no idea what is discussed here? Thx.

Sometimes when a 109, it mostly seems to be 109's but sometimes Yak cannons will do it too, will spawn in with what seem to be empty magazines. In the case of 109's the ammo counters will read full but the weapons won't charge and thus won't shoot. It is rare, it is even more rare among Yak's, but there seem to be some who won't let that stop them from causing a fuss about it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Disarray said:

Sometimes when a 109, it mostly seems to be 109's but sometimes Yak cannons will do it too, will spawn in with what seem to be empty magazines. In the case of 109's the ammo counters will read full but the weapons won't charge and thus won't shoot. It is rare, it is even more rare among Yak's, but there seem to be some who won't let that stop them from causing a fuss about it.

From what ive gathered it seems to be that the guns don't get turned on during start up procedures. 

The unsuspecting luftwaffle will take off and when it's time to squeeze the trigger, no bullets come out of the barrels. Just a flag with the peace symbol.

The onylway to tell is that the ammo counters are black and not white. But you have to check before takeoff or it all becomes a big surprise later.

It happened to me for the first time this weekend on the F4 in MP.

Because in the grand scheme of things it's simply not a priority. I'm sure it's on someone's list somewhere, just not at the top.

It should be a priority.... I mean seriously surely they can give us some feedback that they can't find the bug. It was never an issue and somehow crept in before the last patch. 

Its extremely frustrating to fly half an hour and your buddy gets jumped and you get around to help him and poof....nothing! Its such an arb stupid bug but its infuriating and it needs to be attended to.

I love this game but the devs need to address this because it doing the game damage. I can't tell you how many times a new pilot comes online and his guns don't work.....its really not good.

• Upvote 1

This is bug. It doesnt happen only in bf109. Its rather rare bug and very difficult to reproduce.

Edited by blackram

Never had that bug. Could it be that it only happens on wings of liberty? I dont play there.

It's not a bug.

Actually it is an electric failure. The ammo is there but the circuit fails to fire the gun. 

It can happen to anyone and makes the game realistic and immersive. Just don't forget to report to your ground team after the flight.:rtfm:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, 6./ZG26_Gielow said:

It's not a bug.

Actually it is an electric failure. The ammo is there but the circuit fails to fire the gun. 

It can happen to anyone and makes the game realistic and immersive. Just don't forget to report to your ground team after the flight.:rtfm:

Huh....you serious? do you have a dev source stating that it is not a bug?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 6./ZG26_Gielow said:

It's not a bug.

Random failures aren't currently modeled so this would be considered a bug. If random failures were modeled then I would agree with you.

4 hours ago, =EXPEND=DendroAspis said:

It should be a priority.... I mean seriously surely they can give us some feedback that they can't find the bug. It was never an issue and somehow crept in before the last patch. 

Its extremely frustrating to fly half an hour and your buddy gets jumped and you get around to help him and poof....nothing! Its such an arb stupid bug but its infuriating and it needs to be attended to.

I love this game but the devs need to address this because it doing the game damage. I can't tell you how many times a new pilot comes online and his guns don't work.....its really not good.

A priority compared to what other bug list? There's dozens or other issues that are likely more significant for the team right now, this is just the one that you consider a priority.

Feedback would be nice but they don't tend to do that all the time. Starting a new thread every few weeks on it doesn't help the case either. Only reporting does. We have a sub forum for that and any time I've run up against a bug I've documented it there. https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/89-technical-issues-and-bug-reports/

Again, document the exact circumstances and situation down to the smallest detail. Record a track file of it. Whatever you can get. I would do it myself but I've never seen this issue ever.

Working as intended ever since the Germans started using captured Russians to reload their planes while they stay in the warm and quaff hot mulled wine...😉

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, =BAIT=CG_Justin said:

No, but no shortage of condescension.

I really like the way condescension is modeled in this game. Wait, condensation............................

• Haha 5

This "bug" is just a part of my pre-flight checks now.

There are many more I would like sorted that have been here since the beginning. 

Frankly, while this may be a priority for you personally, it really isn't something that needs to given any massive priority at the moment. It is annoying, sure, but as has been pointed out, Aircraft and systems are mechanical and sometimes things go wrong with them. Just look at this as one of the things that could go wrong occasionally with the one you take up.

Of course, if you are that desperate to have the issue fixed, then you could possibly try collecting data on when it happens, what you were doing at the time, which server you were on, etc and forward that to the developers to assist them in pinpointing the issue rather than sitting around and just whinging about it. The more data you and others send them, the easier it will be for them to find out the cause and fix it.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, =EXPEND=DendroAspis said:

Huh....you serious? do you have a dev source stating that it is not a bug?

I believe he is interjecting humor here...not to be taken literally. Consult a physician before using, void where prohibited by law.

On a more serious note though, I don’t fly MP but I’ve seen this has come up before and it sounds like a very erratic bug, thus hard to replicate. I’m sure they are aware of it and given all the items coming down the chute in development it’s on their “to do” list somewhere at some point. 

Look.... I did not say "massive priority" but in my humble opinion this game is about wings and guns, that is what is so exciting about it.

Now you're new to MP and sims, you've spent 80 USD or more to get up and shoot someone down and spend a long time finding an opportunity for a kill solution (for some new players this could take weeks or months). Having the ammo bug right there....... I would have a sh*tfit just like I do now.

On TS and in MP situations we are getting this problem quite a lot between us squaddies. 

Rant over....Devs.... pls try and give us some clarity here.

Happened once to myself , It was hilarious , my mechanic spend three days cleaning latrines :)

Edited by 307_Tomcat

Had it happen several times on WoL last night, details:

1. Spawned out... heard shooting off my starboard wing, nothing there.  Heard it again, zoomed in on the AA to see if it was shooting, realized it was AAA (and this was distinctly MG fire) suddenly the ground (betwixt myself and the AAA) is covered with explosions like cannon-fire going off. Then a parachute appears out of nowhere and lays on the ground (@TWB-Dillon.biz was with me and saw the chute as well).  We take off.

2.  Both of us are in 109 G-4s, we jump a lone La-5 over target, Dillon moves in for the shot and yells that his guns aren't working. I laugh, because now I have a perfect shot but suddenly it isn't funny anymore because MY guns aren't working either.   Dillon takes care of the La-5 the old Irish way and we fly back to enemy lines and bail out.

3.  We up again, same field, Dillon in G-4, myself in a G-2 with pods.  We both fight and get some kills, his G-4 is shooting.  He gets shot, flies back in another G-4, this one won't fire either.  He quits.

4.  TWB-Wulfecub joins as Dillon is quitting and I am taking a break... he ups in a G-4... I come back to Discord some time later and he asks if this bug is only with the G-4 because he had it as well, but only in the G-4.

SO, to re-cap, we had 3 people on WoL around 1900-2000 CDT last night experience this bug, it's a horrific bug, and it only happened to people flying the G-4.  I bring up the ghost-craziness because there used to be some invisible plane bug way back in the day and if I remember right it was somewhat similar in behavior.  I don't ever remember this happening on Berloga.

Would be happy to do controlled testing on this with guidance/criteria from Devs and/or testers, lemme know.

• Upvote 1

i belive this bug happends in sortie after the one you get killed in, atleast this is what i could see when it was happening to me, and no its not just wol problem it happends on other servers. Andfrom what 80 say him and dillon had bug in sorties after the one they got killled, i think this somehow plays into this bug. Other ppl who had this bug could also check if it was happening in sorties after the one they got killed. also its quite old bug by now it started since 3.001 patch almost 7 months ago now.

Edited by 77.CountZero
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

i belive this bug happends in sortie after the one you get killed in, atleast this is what i could see when it was happening to me, and no its not just wol problem it happends on other servers. Andfrom what 80 say him and dillon had bug in sorties after the one they got killled, i think this somehow plays into this bug. 

I´m pretty sure its not about getting killed but rather switching the airfield. It never happens on the first sortie or flight with a new plane, but if you ever switch airfields and keep the same plane, it happens very frequently. At least that´s my impression.

Funny how people that are never online keep telling other people, that it is a rare bug (which it is not) or that it is not an issue.

Not funny but rather sad, some tersters´ behavior towards people reporting bugs.

Edited by =EXPEND=SchwarzeDreizehn
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

also probably why its not happening on berloga is its airstarts bases there, with your engine running so all is started on airplane when you start to fly.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

i belive this bug happends in sortie after the one you get killed in, atleast this is what i could see when it was happening to me, and no its not just wol problem it happends on other servers. Andfrom what 80 say him and dillon had bug in sorties after the one they got killled, i think this somehow plays into this bug. Other ppl who had this bug could also check if it was happening in sorties after the one they got killed. also its quite old bug by now it started since 3.001 patch almost 7 months ago now.

In this case, we had flown a mission prior to this in 110s, and we both got IL-2 into oblivion (dead), so this theory holds water at least in our case last night.

Once again, like many others, I've never experienced this.

Check that. I once got a bug like this in SP because, during my startup process, I accidentally hit the engine start/stop button again. I tried to start back up ASAP, and I think this confused the game, as I noticed that the pilot never turned the guns back on, and they weren't functional.

4 minutes ago, itsthatguy said:

Once again, like many others, I've never experienced this.

Check that. I once got a bug like this in SP because, during my startup process, I accidentally hit the engine start/stop button again. I tried to start back up ASAP, and I think this confused the game, as I noticed that the pilot never turned the guns back on, and they weren't functional.

Once again, I am confused as to why you feel that this is helpful or necessary?  Prior to last night, I had not experienced this either, getting into firing position only to discover that your guns don't work just one time is enough to wish something done about this... it's certainly not healthy for the game.

• Upvote 1

i just check that 3rd gy you say it happend to TWB-Wulfecub and sortie before it happend to him he was shoot down and crash but not killed.

if devs could say what would help them to fix it would be nice, would it help to just record all time and then send them replay data of when it happends im sure they could see something comon in all thouse replays? maybe guys who have this happening should record offten and just send devs that maybe they can read more from replay data and see what goes wrong, as its clear wer going nowere like this, only every few weeks new post about it shows up, and same loop goes on and on...

12 minutes ago, [TWB]80hd said:

Had it happen several times on WoL last night, details:

1. Spawned out... heard shooting off my starboard wing, nothing there.  Heard it again, zoomed in on the AA to see if it was shooting, realized it was AAA (and this was distinctly MG fire) suddenly the ground (betwixt myself and the AAA) is covered with explosions like cannon-fire going off. Then a parachute appears out of nowhere and lays on the ground (@TWB-Dillon.biz was with me and saw the chute as well).  We take off.

2.  Both of us are in 109 G-4s, we jump a lone La-5 over target, Dillon moves in for the shot and yells that his guns aren't working. I laugh, because now I have a perfect shot but suddenly it isn't funny anymore because MY guns aren't working either.   Dillon takes care of the La-5 the old Irish way and we fly back to enemy lines and bail out.

3.  We up again, same field, Dillon in G-4, myself in a G-2 with pods.  We both fight and get some kills, his G-4 is shooting.  He gets shot, flies back in another G-4, this one won't fire either.  He quits.

4.  TWB-Wulfecub joins as Dillon is quitting and I am taking a break... he ups in a G-4... I come back to Discord some time later and he asks if this bug is only with the G-4 because he had it as well, but only in the G-4.

SO, to re-cap, we had 3 people on WoL around 1900-2000 CDT last night experience this bug, it's a horrific bug, and it only happened to people flying the G-4.  I bring up the ghost-craziness because there used to be some invisible plane bug way back in the day and if I remember right it was somewhat similar in behavior.  I don't ever remember this happening on Berloga.

Would be happy to do controlled testing on this with guidance/criteria from Devs and/or testers, lemme know.

From what I've seen of all the reports, threads, etc. on the forum, I have a theory.

This happens a lot to 109s, occasionally to 190s, and (very rarely to Yaks.) It happens only in online play, and mostly confined to WoL or TAW.

Here's my theory: the bug occurs when there are several people spawning in at around the same time (within a few seconds). The server gets overloaded a bit, and for whatever reason the load guns data gets dropped, corrupted or fragmented.

So I think it may not be a 109 bug per se, it just happens in 109s more often because the German side usually has more pilots and more people spawning in, and far and away the 109 is the most popular of the fighters (and encapsulates 5 or 6 different types, all of which have encountered it, except maybe the E which isn't used as much). This also explains why squads seem to run into it more often - several people spawning in on the same side, with similar aircraft, are more likely to trigger the bug.

This is also why it seemed to be a WoL only problem for a while - it was the only server that regularly has a lot of players on it. TAW encounters it too, though not as regularly, and that may be that the server is just handling it better. In Berloga few people encounter it because the load on the server is low (even with a lot of players, there's not a lot of ground stuff going on) so the server handles the data better. 

Finally, this may explain why the bug hasn't been fixed. Its actually only occurring in a very narrow set of circumstances that's difficult or impossible to reproduce in the development environment, unless you're a guy who flies alot on WoL or other busy servers.

Just a theory though - my knowledge of code and everything is pretty basic but I think its plausible.

• Upvote 2

I had this bug happen to me many times over and over in SP scripted campaigns as well SP missions with version 2.x while flying Yak.   And the bug wasn't about spawning with empty magazines or not turning guns on during the start up procedure. After being caught with it every other mission (1 out of 2!) I started to test the guns by discharging couple of rounds. Then after getting to the action point the guns would stop firing at all. I attributed it to the game ability to simulate quality of the ammunition, the guns, and their jamming. It added a rather unwanted immersion factor to all my missions hoping the guns won't jam when I'm about to shoot. I even started to manipulate the rads so the temps were running a bit higher than normal thinking that it'd definitely must alleviate the challenges with gun lubrication... anyway.. But i've never had this problem in MP and with 109's.

It's a band aid solution at best, but how about whenever you hop in a 109 you give the guns a quick check by firing a small burst before or right after takeoff?

Food for thought.

You don't need to fire a round. You can just let your instrument panel tell you if there is a problem. Above the ammo counters, those white bars, there are circular indicators showing if the the individual weapons are charged. If you see white in the circles the guns are cocked, locked and ready to rock. No white in the circles, no go. This is somewhat anecdotal though. For all the sturm and drang about this issue I've not had it happen to me, but every time I've started up a 109 and seen those indicators show weapons ready they have gone bang when I said so.

Happens to me around once every 2-3 nights (in my 2 hours of flying).

We catch it most of the time due to frequency of the issue. I'd be up to at least 10 planes that have lived now because I didn't check my ammo indicators. Ive probably caught the issue more than 30 times when on the apron through startup checks, or having a teammate call out that his guns aren't working and I have spotted that mine aren't too. Unfortunately when your airfield is being vulched, or a teammate needs assistance - preflight checks go out the window and that's when you miss picking it up.

Issue never occurs on first connection to a server. I've seen it occur on first flight when winning the lottery and staying connected between mission changes.

I usually fly a 109, and it occurs on all variants of the 109 equally.

When the bug occurs, you cant just refly to make it go away, it is usually persistent until you find that magic combo of spawning with a different plane/load-out etc. Disconnecting and reconnecting fixes the issue.

Tonight alone it occurred to 3 people on TS myself included, and 1 in the in-game chat.

Issue has been occurring for at least 6 months now?

Edited by =EXPEND=Tripwire
  • Upvote 2

I had a similar issues with load outs resetting to default after a flight even thought you have the non default selected. I just got into the habit or reselecting every thing each time before a flight. Not ideal but doing that seemed to work. 20secs of your time not to waste 30 mins.

Edited by AeroAce

Just check your guns and relog. This is so preventable with even a basic preflight check.

No wonder people in that 10km spotting distance thread think current ranges are enough if they can't even spot the "weapons on" indicators in front of their faces are not lit...

14 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

Just check your guns and relog. This is so preventable with even a basic preflight check.

No wonder people in that 10km spotting distance thread think current ranges are enough if they can't even spot the "weapons on" indicators in front of their faces are not lit...

Thats what I don't get about the OP. If It's clearly been on his mind so long how is it still effecting him this badly?

Bad case of Luftzheimers

Edited by AeroAce
  • Upvote 1