Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dburne

Rift Core 2.0 exits Beta, original Oculus Home going away

Recommended Posts

"Today at Oculus Connect, we shared some exciting updates about the future of Rift. Core 2.0 is out of beta — and now known as the new Rift Platform. Soon, everyone will be using Home and Dash. We've put a ton of work into improving performance and look and feel, and can't wait to hear what you think. Release notes for PTC can be found below — and be sure to visit the Rift blog for more info."

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/69768/rift-release-1-31-rolling-out-to-ptc#latest

 

The above is from release notes for the release of Rift Core 1.31 on the Public Test Channel. Click the above link for more info.

It would seem once 1.31 exits the PTC and into release, the old Oculus Home will be going away. Or maybe it will even be going away sooner.

 

Edited by dburne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't started up the oculus software ever since I found out you can run the headset without it, so glad I did I can't stand it. My headset displays absolutely nothing until I launch a game, no steamvr home, no oculus home, nada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

I haven't started up the oculus software ever since I found out you can run the headset without it, so glad I did I can't stand it. My headset displays absolutely nothing until I launch a game, no steamvr home, no oculus home, nada.

 

It "sounds like" when they do away with Home 1.0 one will not be able to not have the Oculus Software running.

I do not believe the admin trick works with Rift Core 2.0.

 

Hopefully they will get it back to where one can do this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dburne said:

 

It "sounds like" when they do away with Home 1.0 one will not be able to not have the Oculus Software running.

I do not believe the admin trick works with Rift Core 2.0.

 

Hopefully they will get it back to where one can do this.

They can't update my software if I never turn it on muhahaha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

They can't update my software if I never turn it on muhahaha.

 

The software is always running, not just when Home is running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, dburne said:

 

The software is always running, not just when Home is running.

The oculus runtimes are running. I haven't updated oculus home or it's software in months, the runtimes can't update themselves without the actual program open. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's crazy how they tirelessly work on preventing users change any kind of setting. The only thing you can change without 3rd party  software is volume. Oculus is more and more annoying in all aspects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, -[HRAF]Black_Sab said:

It's crazy how they tirelessly work on preventing users change any kind of setting. The only thing you can change without 3rd party  software is volume. Oculus is more and more annoying in all aspects.

It's Facebook kind of knew this would happen. Can't wait for a pimax. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

The oculus runtimes are running. I haven't updated oculus home or it's software in months, the runtimes can't update themselves without the actual program open. 

 

Yes runtimes/Oculus Home  are updated automatically.

If you had not opted in to Rift Core 2.0 Beta then the old Oculus Home may not have been updated much. Once it all moves to Rift Core 2.0 it will.

Just a matter of when.

https://www.vrfocus.com/2018/09/oculus-rift-core-2-0-platform-leaves-beta/

 

Looks like early October when all users will be moved to Rift Core 2.0.

 

Just a heads up...

;)

Edited by dburne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dburne said:

 

Yes runtimes/Oculus Home  are updated automatically.

If you had not opted in to Rift Core 2.0 Beta then the old Oculus Home may not have been updated much. Once it all moves to Rift Core 2.0 it will.

Just a matter of when.

https://www.vrfocus.com/2018/09/oculus-rift-core-2-0-platform-leaves-beta/

 

Looks like early October when all users will be moved to Rift Core 2.0.

 

Just a heads up...

;)

The oculus software cannot update itself without running. I don't run oculus home. Ever. It hasn't updated in 6 months. The runtimes do not update without oculus home running. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am lucky for revert back to classic Oculus Home and deactivated Core 2.0 Beta just last week!

I will try to not run Oculus Home in ages!

Edited by chiliwili69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

The oculus software cannot update itself without running. I don't run oculus home. Ever. It hasn't updated in 6 months. The runtimes do not update without oculus home running. 

 

Yes it does. Oculus absolutely will update whether Home is running or not.  If you are running the original Home - what we call Home 1, perhaps it just has not had any updates. It used to get updates on a regular basis prior to Rift Core 2.0.

That version will be going away in Oct.

 

I assure you Oculus Home 2 ( Rift Core 2.0) gets updated on a regular basis. Just like Home 1 used to.

It has always been this way.

It will update without the Home software being launched every time.

 

But don't take my word for it, just wait and see what happens.

 

Just trying to give you guys a heads up on what is coming.

And don't shoot the messenger... :hunter:

 

 

Edited by dburne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, dburne said:

 

Yes it does. Oculus absolutely will update whether Home is running or not.  If you are running the original Home - what we call Home 1, perhaps it just has not had any updates. It used to get updates on a regular basis prior to Rift Core 2.0.

That version will be going away in Oct.

 

I assure you Oculus Home 2 ( Rift Core 2.0) gets updated on a regular basis. Just like Home 1 used to.

It has always been this way.

It will update without the Home software being launched every time.

 

But don't take my word for it, just wait and see what happens.

 

Just trying to give you guys a heads up on what is coming.

And don't shoot the messenger... :hunter:

 

 

LOL that's like saying steam would update if I never ran the software. I have it so oculus software never starts the only thing running are the oculus runtimes. Those just run the headset the oculus software that provides all the games and your dashboard view in headset is what updates the drivers and software. The runtime.dlls do not update themselves unless you open the oculus software. 

 

I'm not sure what you aren't getting about this. If I opened oculus right now it would do a bunch of updates because I haven't ran it in months. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

LOL that's like saying steam would update if I never ran the software. I have it so oculus software never starts the only thing running are the oculus runtimes. Those just run the headset the oculus software that provides all the games and your dashboard view in headset is what updates the drivers and software. The runtime.dlls do not update themselves unless you open the oculus software. 

 

I'm not sure what you aren't getting about this. If I opened oculus right now it would do a bunch of updates because I haven't ran it in months. 

 

Oculus updates regardless. That is just the way it is. Perhaps you have not had it long enough to have seen this. 

They will keep everyone on the same version. The Home software running has no bearing on whether the software updates or not. Absolutely none. Many times I have seen mine get updated with me not even launching the Rift that day.

Back when it was only the original Oculus Home software, everyone was always kept on the same version. And it always updated automatically in the background.

 

Rift Core 2.0 when it came out a few months ago was Beta. It has been Beta for the past several months. It has been an " Opt In" Beta. So users running Classic Home 1.0 could opt in and change to Rift Core 2.0, or stay with their classic Home.  Those that stayed with Classic Home stopped getting updates. That is because all their development was now going to Rift Core 2.0.  They stopped not because you chose not to get any, they stopped because Oculus stopped pushing updates out to Classic Home 1.0.

 

Rift Core 2.0 Beta continued to get regular updates, about every 6 weeks. Everyone that had opted in to Rift Core 2.0 got these updates, Oculus kept everyone on the same version, just like they did previously with the Classic Oculus Home 1.  All the while Rift Core 2.0 was an opt in Beta, users could continue using their original Oculus Home classic instead.

 

Now, with the announcement at Oculus Connect 5, Rift Core 2.0 has moved out of Beta. It is now the full release for Oculus software. Classic Oculus Home is going away, this is apparently going to happen in October. Everyone will be on Rift Core 2.0, and will continue to get regular updates and be on the same version as everyone.

 

It does not matter whether your Oculus Home software is running, you will get updates pushed out to you. No, it is not like Steam software in the least. 

You can easily see this over on the Oculus Forums, there have been many discussions over the last several months on just this topic. Many users do not like getting updates forced on them, and have expressed their concerns over this. 

Once classic Home goes away there will be a lot more discussion on this I am sure.

 

 

 

 

Edited by dburne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dburne said:

 

Oculus updates regardless. That is just the way it is. Perhaps you have not had it long enough to have seen this. 

They will keep everyone on the same version. The Home software running has no bearing on whether the software updates or not. Absolutely none. Many times I have seen mine get updated with me not even launching the Rift that day.

Back when it was only the original Oculus Home software, everyone was always kept on the same version. And it always updated automatically in the background.

 

Rift Core 2.0 when it came out a few months ago was Beta. It has been Beta for the past several months. It has been an " Opt In" Beta. So users running Classic Home 1.0 could opt in and change to Rift Core 2.0, or stay with their classic Home.  Those that stayed with Classic Home stopped getting updates. That is because all their development was now going to Rift Core 2.0.  They stopped not because you chose not to get any, they stopped because Oculus stopped pushing updates out to Classic Home 1.0.

 

Rift Core 2.0 Beta continued to get regular updates, about every 6. Everyone that had opted in to Rift Core 2.0 got these updates, Oculus kept everyone on the same version, just like they did previously with the Classic Oculus Home 1.  All the while Rift Core 2.0 was an opt in Beta, users could continue using their original Oculus Home classic instead.

 

Now, with the announcement at Oculus Connect 5, Rift Core 2.0 has moved out of Beta. It is now the full release for Oculus software. Classic Oculus Home is going away, this is apparently going to happen in October. Everyone will be on Rift Core 2.0, and will continue to get regular updates and be on the same version as everyone.

 

It does not matter whether your Oculus Home software is running, you will get updates pushed out to you. No, it is not like Steam software in the least. 

 

 

 

 

How is oculus updating if there is no oculus software running?

 

Regardless this update effects me in absolutely no way shape or form since I never even use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

How is oculus updating if there is no oculus software running?

 

Regardless this update effects me in absolutely no way shape or form since I never even use it.

 

Go take a look at your Oculus services that are running.

One in particular, OVR server.

 

Apparently your not getting my point - this update will affect you soon.

But you can choose not to believe me , that is fine. You will see soon enough.

 

 

Edited by dburne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dburne said:

 

Go take a look at your Oculus services that are running.

 

Apparently your not getting my point - this update will affect you soon.

But you can choose not to believe me , that is fine. You will see soon enough.

 

 

I can't even update to the rift core update beta right now due to oculus being unable to start by itself. So they can try as hard as they want. I opted in so I could see if the admin thing works, and it won't update to the beta. Not only that but if I block access to the internet through my firewall then oculus isn't updating anything.

Edited by 15th_JonRedcorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rift Core 2.0 has exited Beta.

You will see it here before too long.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dburne said:

Rift Core 2.0 has exited Beta.

You will see it here before too long.

 

So if I opt into the beta right now it wouldn't update to it regardless? So anyone that was on the core beta has now been kicked back to oculus home 1.0?

Edited by 15th_JonRedcorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a read in this Oculus thread.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/69768/rift-release-1-31-rolling-out-to-ptc#latest

 

It is on version 1.31 of Rift Core that is currently in the Public Test Channel, that is the version everyone will have soon.

1 minute ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

So if I opt into the beta right now it wouldn't update to it regardless? So anyone that was on the core beta has now been kicked back to oculus home 1.0?

 

No, those on Rift Core 2.0 are still on Rift Core 2.0 such as myself.

Actually I am on the Public Test Channel so I have version 1.31 already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That;s what I am saying, so if the update stuff was working I'd be able to get on the public test channel, which it won't work with this admin rights thing enabled. It won't allow oculus to restart to get the update.

 

I don't really care either way, as soon as that pimax is available to purchase all oculus related software will be getting deleted and the rift will be sold.

Edited by 15th_JonRedcorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

That;s what I am saying, so if the update stuff was working I'd be able to get on the public test channel, which it won't work with this admin rights thing enabled. It won't allow oculus to restart to get the update.

 

Oculus has blocked the "admin trick" with Rift Core 2.0.

I will say, I have had this Rift Core 2.0 ever since it first became available as an opt in Beta.

I really like it myself, and have had a lot of fun messing around with it. I have created my own Home environment, manipulating objects and moving them around, choosing different themes, etc. Launching all my games from within the environment.

 

But I also know stuff like that is not for everyone, many just want to play their games in VR and not mess around with a Home environment. In that case once Rift Core launches, just minimize to tray and not worry with it anymore. All the graphical stuff and what have you is grayed out once a game is launched so not real affect from it running that I have seen.

Edited by dburne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dburne said:

Have a read in this Oculus thread.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/69768/rift-release-1-31-rolling-out-to-ptc#latest

 

It is on version 1.31 of Rift Core that is currently in the Public Test Channel, that is the version everyone will have soon.

 

No, those on Rift Core 2.0 are still on Rift Core 2.0 such as myself.

Actually I am on the Public Test Channel so I have version 1.31 already.

Where in that thread did it say the admin trick doesn't work anymore? People have been saying the admin trick doesn't work for a while now yet everytime I play a game oculus home doesn't start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

Where in that thread did it say the admin trick doesn't work anymore? People have been saying the admin trick doesn't work for a while now yet everytime I play a game oculus home doesn't start.

 

Were going off to a different topic now, my reference to that thread was in regards to Rift Core 2.0 exiting beta and soon to be pushed out to everyone for version 1.31. But there is also talk in that thread of how we can no longer disable Oculus Home anymore ( which was the admin trick). 

It has been that way in Rift Core 2.0 for a while now.

Just have a look at the second post in that thread.

Heck much of that thread is on that subject!

 

I am just stating the facts of what is coming, which for folks that are still running the Classic Home may come as a big surprise. 

 

 

Edited by dburne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, dburne said:

 

Were going off to a different topic now, my reference to that thread was in regards to Rift Core 2.0 exiting beta and soon to be pushed out to everyone for version 1.31. But there is also talk in that thread of how we can no longer disable Oculus Home anymore ( which was the admin trick). 

It has been that way in Rift Core 2.0 for a while now.

Just have a look at the second post in that thread.

Heck much of that thread is on that subject!

 

I am just stating the facts of what is coming, which for folks that are still running the Classic Home may come as a big surprise. 

 

 

Literally no where did they mention the admin trick, they are talking about literally deleting the oculushome.exe from the oculus folder. Either way if I can't do it any longer then oh well.

Edited by 15th_JonRedcorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

Literally no where did they mention the admin trick, they are talking about literally deleting the oculushome.exe from the oculus folder. Either way if I can't do it any longer then oh well.

 

Copied from the second post in that very thread I linked:

 

"Please give us the possibility to start a game without oculus home running, like selecting the old home aplication. With OCULUS home running in background, I have between 5-10% less performance than with 1.30 version."

 

From 4th post:

Yeah, +1 on that (again). Now that we won't have opportunity to use Home 1 anymore, please give us chance to disable Home 2 from running whe used i.e. Youtube VR (with Oculus Support) from Steam VR.. "

 

From 6th post:

"Cyber: please give us the possibility to not using home while playing some high demanding games like project cars 2 or DCS World. Having home 2 in the background its high-memory resource hog."

 

And from further down:

"How much easier it would be to have selections in Oculus desktop app "enable/disable Home2 when using Rift" and "keep/don't keep dash & library in use when Home2 is disabled".

Edit: And yes, i have sent the feedback about non-mandatory loading of Home2 through feedback option on desktop app. It just seems that the devs are taking feedback through there as vividly as from these forums==none. "

 

All of the above related to the "admin trick" no longer able to be used with Oculus Home 1 ( Classic) going away...

 

I was just trying to give folks a heads up that soon everyone will be updated to Rift Core 2.0, that is all. And as a result the admin trick will go away - unless Oculus decides at some point to make it possible again.

Edited by dburne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

Regardless this update effects me in absolutely no way shape or form since I never even use it.


The new Rift Core 2.0 comes with ASW 2.0, which might help the situation with IL-2. It improves the 45 FPS mode of the Oculus Rift, hopefully smoothing out the weird doubling that we see on enemy aircraft. I'm crossing my fingers that this helps us all out, because IL-2 is such a CPU hog that it's almost impossible to run the thing at 90 FPS no matter your GPU (as you've already found out, unfortunately Jon).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Oculus Home didn´t update to the forced Rift Core 2.0 today.

This is because I am in the old home (penthouse) and still using the admin trick.

So I am still running IL-2 without Oculus Home.

I believe this will be until the day I will start Oculus Home. One thing that I will try to avoid for ages... 😋

Edited by chiliwili69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alonzo said:


The new Rift Core 2.0 comes with ASW 2.0, which might help the situation with IL-2. It improves the 45 FPS mode of the Oculus Rift, hopefully smoothing out the weird doubling that we see on enemy aircraft. I'm crossing my fingers that this helps us all out, because IL-2 is such a CPU hog that it's almost impossible to run the thing at 90 FPS no matter your GPU (as you've already found out, unfortunately Jon).

 

I read that it required work on the developer's side, so don't count on it. The game does not use the Oculus SDK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

My Oculus Home didn´t update to the forced Rift Core 2.0 today.

This is because I am in the old home (penthouse) and still using the admin trick.

So I am still running IL-2 without Oculus Home.

I believe this will be until the day I will start Oculus Home. One thing that I will try to avoid for ages... 😋

 

It will be updated sometime in October ( probably early in month). Whether you start the Home software or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Alonzo said:


The new Rift Core 2.0 comes with ASW 2.0, which might help the situation with IL-2. It improves the 45 FPS mode of the Oculus Rift, hopefully smoothing out the weird doubling that we see on enemy aircraft. I'm crossing my fingers that this helps us all out, because IL-2 is such a CPU hog that it's almost impossible to run the thing at 90 FPS no matter your GPU (as you've already found out, unfortunately Jon).

 

Is ASW 2.0 already available for those that already have Rift Core 2.0 as beta?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, -[HRAF]Black_Sab said:

 

Is ASW 2.0 already available for those that already have Rift Core 2.0 as beta?

 

I have no idea, do not know anything about an ASW2. Least I have not read anything about it in release notes - but Oculus is kinda skimpy with release notes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ASW requires dev teams to implement it, so we will have to wait and see. I am getting tired of the performance in VR, probably going to force myself to go back to 2d.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, coconut said:

I read that it required work on the developer's side, so don't count on it. The game does not use the Oculus SDK.

 

Technically yes, maybe. It needs a "depth buffer" for it to work best, which the game may or may not already be supplying to the OpenVR API calls. If the game were using Unity (which it isn't) ASW 2.0 would automatically work. It basically depends if their engine (apparently a mod from the one used in Rise of Flight) is already passing a depth buffer. SSAO requires a depth buffer so there's a chance I guess.

 

There may also be ASW 2.0 improvements that work without getting the depth buffer, and that just help things a bit anyhow. We'll have to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Oculus Home 1.31 Rift Core 2.0/Dash is now moving out of the PTC ( Beta ), all users will be receiving it over the next few days.

 

Just a heads up once again gang, Classic Home is going away...

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It happened. Despite having home locked away behind the admin trick and not using it, mine updated today. No image in the rift unless I let oculus home load up while il2 is starting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Everyone's will be updated. Keep in mind when they roll out it is usually over a few days.

You will know when it does.

Edited by dburne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

unfortunatetely mine updated as well.

And now i cannot get rid of the guardian area i once set up in the very beginning in Oculus Home. The blue chaperone in Steam VR i could disable pretty easy but this one through Oculus not..:(

 

Gone are the days, when Il-2 started without blinky colored Oculus Nonsense... 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×