LeeHarvey

What IL2 games do you own?

What battles do you own?  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Installed or not, which of these titles do you currently own?

• Battle of Stalingrad
    • Battle of Moscow
    • Battle of Kuban
    • Battle of Bodenplatte
    • Tank Crew
    • Flying Circus
    • IL2: Cliffs of Dover
    • IL2: 1946 (Includes FB,AEP,PF)

I was wondering just how popular and widespread the IL2 series in general is. I have loved it ever since the original IL2, and bought every expansion, then a copy of 1946 for good measure! I kept it updated and regularly played it until Cliffs of Dover came out, and then I played it half as much 😉. Those two have been supplanted by the Great Battles series, and while I miss a few things from 1946 (especially the more comprehensive QMB), I have no doubt that in the end, the Great Battles series will be the world's finest WWII Combat Flight Simulator.

So that's my IL2 journey and I figured that I would be able to get a good idea of how popular the games have been with a poll. Maybe it'll be of some use to the guys in charge too!   

Edited by LeeHarvey
  • Like 2

Everything except Tank Crew, though I haven't played all that much of Cliffs of Dover and IL2 1946, since I don't own a headtracker I find it very clumsy and frustrating to look around in those games. Rise of Flight and IL2 GB both have much more pleasant view controls.

Edited by Sotka94

Simple answer: All of the above.

The only product of the whole IL-2 (both classic and BoX) I never owned was Pacific Fighters, which I caught up later on by getting 1946. The only module from RoF I never bought was the final Ilya Muromets DLC, for both included planes didn't really interest me.

I don't play 1946, Clod nor RoF anymore, though. As much as I love them (especially 1946, for it will always have a special place in my heart for accompanying me through all of my teenage years), they simply can't keep up with BoX.

Edited by Fritz_X

Your poll statistics are entirely misleading. Looking at the right hand column, for instance, you can see that 36 people voted to owning BoS, out of 37 people who have voted in the poll. (At time of this post).  But the percentage shown is 16.59% which is 36 divided by the entire number of votes, 271.  It should be 36/37, 97.30%

• Upvote 1

You can already see how popular tank crew is... still, it's early days.

It will be interesting to see what the poll looks like a year from now...

21 minutes ago, unreasonable said:

Your poll statistics are entirely misleading. Looking at the right hand column, for instance, you can see that 36 people voted to owning BoS, out of 37 people who have voted in the poll. (At time of this post).  But the percentage shown is 16.59% which is 36 divided by the entire number of votes, 271.  It should be 36/37, 97.30%

Yes, correct percentages would be 93% or more for BoS, BoK and BoM, 74% or more for BoBp, CloD and 1946, 51% for FC, and only 20% for TC.

Have them all and flown Clod more than Great Battles series this year, but that do not say much. I flown little to none . DCS is currently the name of thee game.

Old IL 2 is the sim I flown most in, and the sim I have best memories from. Cod Campaigns is a good number two , third is FnBF . All great things 

12 hours ago, unreasonable said:

Well, it's not "my" poll, I didn't code it. All this thread is for is so we can see relative popularity across the various titles. I'm not interested in the statistics or math. The poll is just a nice visual aid, and a good conversation starter considering the replies it's gotten so far. Everyone in this community is interested in everyone else's journey through the IL2 series, and happy to share. It's beautiful.

As for the results so far, I'm surprised to see that Bodenplatte is not as high as the previous titles in the Great Battles series. Do you think that means that more people are drawn to the early war aircraft over late war, or because it's still in developement? (I bought it in early release because I wanted to be able to jump into my favorite fighters as soon as they became available and luckily for me, my all time favorite was one of the first two released. In my opinion, totally worth the price.)

Edited by LeeHarvey

I personally want to hunt you down because of the poll inaccuracies!

it's not your fault. don't worry.

I think BobP, TC and FC will become more popular as they evolve.

TC and FC are really lacking in content but will bring a lot to the table in time.

same with BOBP.

as it progresses more folk will grab it.

it's not a cheap series for the casual gamer.

I'm currently saving up for TC and look forward to what it's going to bring.

3 hours ago, LeeHarvey said:

Well, it's not "my" poll, I didn't code it. All this thread is for is so we can see relative popularity across the various titles. I'm not interested in the statistics or math. The poll is just a nice visual aid, and a good conversation starter considering the replies it's gotten so far. Everyone in this community is interested in everyone else's journey through the IL2 series, and happy to share. It's beautiful.

As for the results so far, I'm surprised to see that Bodenplatte is not as high as the previous titles in the Great Battles series. Do you think that means that more people are drawn to the early war aircraft over late war, or because it's still in developement? (I bought it in early release because I wanted to be able to jump into my favorite fighters as soon as they became available and luckily for me, my all time favorite was one of the first two released. In my opinion, totally worth the price.)

I am sure it is not your fault, but polls needs an option to show choices either as a % of votes, (as now) or as a % of number of people who vote, which is needed for this poll. The relative size of the bars would be the same, but it gets rid of possible misunderstandings.  If it cannot do that it is a design problem with this forum - not the only one, be sure.

On the subject of BoBP I think the answer may be that is is still EA while the others are not. Even BoM is not exactly early war: that would be 109Es vs Hurricanes, Fairy Battles etc.   Some people make a point of avoiding EA titles altogether - I generally do, after a couple of bad experiences, but make an exception for this series.  Also I think that anyone who wants BoBP is likely to want at least one of the early games, but some people might have got bored with the series because it is not meeting their gameplay needs, especially in regards to SP AI.  

8 hours ago, LeeHarvey said:

As for the results so far, I'm surprised to see that Bodenplatte is not as high as the previous titles in the Great Battles series. Do you think that means that more people are drawn to the early war aircraft over late war, or because it's still in developement?

Judging from the poll results, I seem to be a 'typical' customer. Coming from 1946 and CloD, I own all three WWII titles already released, but I have very little interest in either FC or TC (and I don't own them, accordingly). As to BoBp, I'll certainly pre-order it as soon as a bit more content is out, although I'm not really enthusiastic about late-war high-performance fighter aircraft. Although I'd certainly buy into a Finland, France, or Libya release, I'm not really interested in any new planes unless they come with new aspects of gameplay, be it better cooperation with AI mates, reconnaissance and strategic effects, naval operations, etc, etc -- generally less eye-candy and more game functionality.

On 9/23/2018 at 1:26 AM, dburne said:

I own every single one of those titles.

Same for me.

There's planes in 1946 and in several modules of IL-2 Great Battles which I've never flown (La-5FN for instance, or Bf 109G-6) or just once (Bf 109G-4, G-14), but I have them all, if only to support the further development of this genre.

Regarding FC and TC: I haven't been into WW1 or Tank Battles either, never got my head wrapped around ROF before, but let me tell you: Both are endless fun. Particularly those FC kites are so much fun to fight with, I just can't wait for the next two planes to be released with the coming update!

:drinks:

Mike

Edited by SAS_Storebror

52 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Everything except TC, FC and Bodenplatte. 

Sounds a bit like "Pizza Funghi, but no mushrooms please!" ;)

:drinks:

• Haha 1

We've gotten a lot of responses so far. It's quite encouraging. Looking at the numbers for BoBP in relation to the ones for CloD and 1946 I find them particularly interesting. Almost as many players polled who have played the series since the beginning have pre-ordered the next, unreleased, installment. I think that says something good about the company.

Edited by LeeHarvey

All but Flying Circus. I'll get it before EA is done. I do have Rise of Flight though I rarely fly it any more. I'm quite surprised that of those who've voted, more own CLoD than do the original IL-2. Very surprised.

Every version of IL-2 since it was launched in 2001 (I think). All expansion packs, Aces, Forgotten Battles, Pacific Fighters, and 1946. Cliffs of Dover too, (including Blitz) however I very, very rarely play that. All versions of IL-2 Great Battles, all the collectors planes, except I do not have Flying Circus or Tank Crew.

My taste is in WWII aircraft, not tanks or WW I. That's just personal preference of course, and I am very grateful to the developers for offering such brilliant and varied content.

Kind Regards,

MDS1

Everything except TC & FC.

Incorrectly omitted 1946 from my first post.

But i only enjoyed that with the BAT mod added.

Everything listed with the exception of TC & CoD.

I have yet to buy TC, but absolutely intend to. I bought CoD, but gave it away in a free draw before registering the key when I realized it was a pre-requirement to have Steam, which was a deal breaker for me.

I've loved the IL-2 series since the beginning. ❤️

I got everything from the first Sturmovik up to 46. And i also bought Clod and most of the planes in RoF.  Now, recently, I got the last campaign and Flying Circus.

So seen I am now complete 😄  I can't say what fun the series is for me. I'm really excited about where the journey is going this year ;)