itsthatguy

The A-26 Invader

I'll keep it simple.

Up to 18 forward firing .50 cal machine guns, in many different configurations. A 6 or 8 gun nose, 6 internally mounted guns in the wings or 8 in wing mounted pods. Also the dorsal turret could be fixed forward and operated by the pilot as well.

Two gun ( 1 dorsal and 1 ventral) turrets with 2 .50's each operated by a single gunner, via a complex system of para scopes and computers to calculate parallax so that the guns aimed wherever the gunner was looking.

(Which turned out to be a pain in the ass to develop and maintain IRL, but this is a sim so that doesn't matter)

3,000 lb (about 1300 kg) internal bomb load, and another 2,000 lb (900kg) on the wings.

Can have the nose switched out for a glass nose with a bomb sight  and a couple of guns, turning it into a medium bomber.

Powered by 2 R-2800 Double Wasps (probably my favorite engine of all WW2 aircraft) producing more than 2,000 hp each, giving it a top speed of 355 mph (571 kph).

Laminar flow wings with very effective double slotted flaps.

In summary: Gimme.

Edited by itsthatguy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

A few did see service , and their pilots ( the pilot I saw in a interview) said it was another word compared to the B 25 he flew before. But the B 25 was a medium bomber turned into a strafer.

I guess it is a good airplane, my point of view is , that in this game it will perform as all other attack aircraft, As long as it can not defend itself against a fighter or run away from it, the end result will be the same if you fly a A 20 or this.  I would however love to have a B 26, but that is me, some like the mother other the daughter

Edited by LuseKofte

I'd take a B-26. Never been a fan of the A-20 or A-26. I want a true medium bomber like the B-26 or B-25.

The B-26 is just a big beautiful piece of art that had the lowest loss rate of any bomber in the 9th AF and even in Europe iirc.

Edited by Legioneod

I'd love the A26 but I'd also love the B26, the typhoon, the mosquito, the ju-188, the do-217, the la-7, the yak-9, the yak-3, the tu-2, the g55, the mc 205, the d.520, the hurricane, the IAR 81, the beaufighter, the he 219, the me 410, the p61, the fw 189, the hs 123.

• Upvote 2

Didn’t the A-20’s development lead to the A-26 later on?  I feel an A-26 would be a proper addition for BOBP since it was mainly active in the ETO - or that’s my understanding.  However I’ll take an A-20 with the six gun nose too.

For the unwary pilot, it could be a deathtrap. In the rush to gear up for the war, it was hastily entered into service and was flown by inexperienced pilots. It was nicknamed the Widow Maker, the Baltimore Whore, the Flying Prostitute (because it had no visible means of support), and One a Day in Tampa Bay, after 15 crashes in one 30-day period. With a landing speed of 140 mph (225 km/h), it was too much airplane for the novice to handle.2

In 1939, the Martin B-26 Marauder was built in parallel with North American B-25 Mitchell, however while the B-25 was a docile handling airplane, the B-26 was nothing of the kind. It was built for speed and was a highly strung, unforgiving airplane, that needed to be tamed by the most experienced pilots. At 56 lbs/ft2, it had the highest wing loading of any American World War II airplane—40% higher than that of the B-25.1 While such wing loading is now considered the industry standard, World War II aircraft lacked the sophisticated automatic braking and propeller feathering systems currently available today, thereby making accidents more likely.

http://www.aviation-history.com/martin/b26.html

47 minutes ago, Gordon200 said:

...Martin B-26 Marauder...

This thread is about the A-26, not the B-26.

• Upvote 1

I think an A-20G would be a better choice than the A-26 since it was used on both Western and Eastern fronts, not to mention it would be right at home attacking shipping in the South Pacific.

• Like 2

I derailed this tread, so I try to get it back, my objection to it is merely the fact that if we get the A 26 now , we missed almost everything of the Pasific except what happened in 1945. We will not have any two sided carrier battles , only Kamikaze and a brutal favor to Allied side

2 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

A few did see service , and their pilots ( the pilot I saw in a interview) said it was another word compared to the B 25 he flew before. But the B 25 was a medium bomber turned into a strafer.

I guess it is a good airplane, my point of view is , that in this game it will perform as all other attack aircraft, As long as it can not defend itself against a fighter or run away from it, the end result will be the same if you fly a A 20 or this.  I would however love to have a B 26, but that is me, some like the mother other the daughter

In that you'd be wrong, out of 18,000 combat sorties only 67 were ever shot down.  It was damn hard to intercept with that kind of speed.

I said in this game it would not make any better, not in real life, I am well aware what it did for real. But this game is not real, it do not work the same way at all

There were definitely A-26s operating in Western Europe in late 44 and 1945 with the 9th as well as during the Okinawa campaign. I'd love to see the A-26 done one day. It's an aircraft I've never had the chance to fly in any sim and it saw more than enough service for me to want to take it out there.

Just to clear up some confusion. The Douglas A-26 was the follow on from the successful Douglas A-20 (we have the A-20B) and it saw service at the end of WWII, as well as in Korea and Vietnam. In the later two conflicts it was renamed (following the reorganization of the USAAF into the USAF) to the B-26 which of course causes all kinds of confusion. It definitely lived on after the Martin B-26 was retired.

Douglas_A-26_Invader.JPG

Edited by ShamrockOneFive
  • Upvote 2

The Invader would be a great, great bomber. Kind of like a bigger, more modern Mosquito.

It was used extensively in Korea (and a little bit less extensively in SEA).

The Marauder was interesting, but while it was fast at the start; after they had tamed her and given her longer wings, a larger tail and that fugly incidence-angle (making the engine-nacelles non-parallel to the fuselage), the Marauder wasn't that much faster than a B-25 anymore.

The marauder would still be imho a better choice for 2 reasons:

-it was used rather extensively, more than the invader.

-This plane is maybe the most forget plane of the war, many people do know the b25 but the b26 is not that known and I guess was never was used in any sim, I remember it on heroes of the pacific but it wasn't a sim.

I'd take a Mosquito, Marauder or the Invader. Any one of the three would be a good addition to this sim. My heart lies with the Mosquito but having just looked over two different A/B-26s at the Air Force Museum, it is a beast of an airplane. One was an 8 gun nose version. I can't imagine how lethal that would be to use as a strafer.

• Like 1

To have an A-26 in this Sim would be just awesome, think of her as an A-20 wound up to 11, or maybe even more...:lol:

If you aren`t already convinced completely take a look and listen to this:

We need this bird sooooo much in IL2 GB. Why? Because it is just like the A-20 on steroids, only better.

And she is looking soooo cool... while ruining your day... And did I mention the sound... :drinks:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

in this game it will perform as all other attack aircraft, As long as it can not defend itself against a fighter or run away from it, the end result will be the same if you fly a A 20 or this.

I think the A-20 will surprise you.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Full video:

Spoiler

Edited by Talon_
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I flown it a lot, I simply do not have a interest in dogfighting , . This is why I abandoned this sim, and await bettre ai and pacific. Because this is a online game with focus on dogfight. I fly only DCS Choppers atm. For me a fligh must have a aspect of history I can relate to. This was the reason I started flying Simulators late 90's This is why I am keen on types not really shine in this sim, but had a significant impact . But historical impact relate little to none in this sim, in reality numbers and tactics played a role, hard to simulate. So offline is the way for me

The A-26 might make more sense then the B-25 if they are going to Korea next, no?

How different were the A-26 models used in Korea and those used in 1944?

P.S.

I'd personally like an Il-4 as the next medium bomber (giving the Russian's a true medium bomber for all three existing maps).

4 hours ago, Avimimus said:

The A-26 might make more sense then the B-25 if they are going to Korea next, no?

Hold your horses there, lets not take this Korea thing too far!

16 hours ago, Avimimus said:

How different were the A-26 models used in Korea and those used in 1944?

Not too different. By the time Korea was getting hot, the A-26 had been renamed B-26 and there also was a reconnaissance version (the RB-26).

The more extensive mods came with the B-26K that was used in SEA.

The A-26 had three different noses (two different gun-noses and a plexiglass nose). IIRC, the noses were interchangeable, but I don't know if any actual conversions took place in the field.

I'd wager the units stuck to their nose-version and adapted their tactics and missions accordingly (level-bombing, strafing, etc.).

• Like 1

I would personally love to see the A-26 make it in simply because of the silly number of noses it has, including large cannons. Plus it does fit the medium bomber requirements for this sim better than most of the other allied aircraft like the B-25 as the crew requirements are still quite low.

2 hours ago, Talon_ said:

Only two?

As far as I understand, there were only 3 noses that were used on production versions of the planes, all of which could be relatively easily exchanged on the field.

There was a 6 gun nose, an 8 gun nose, and a Plexiglas nose with a bombsight.

You are correct in saying that they did test many more versions, including using very large guns for tank killing. However, I don't think any of those wound up on production versions. 

Before people get too carried away, it should probably be pointed out that the A-26 wasn't without its issues. The pilots manual (Google will find you a pdf) makes it clear that it wasn't an easy plane to fly, due to high wing loading and an abrupt stall, and its ground attack and formation flying capabilities seem to have been compromised by poor visibility. There seem to have been problems with the remote-controlled gun system too. 

8 hours ago, itsthatguy said:

As far as I understand, there were only 3 noses that were used on production versions of the planes, all of which could be relatively easily exchanged on the field.

There was a 6 gun nose, an 8 gun nose, and a Plexiglas nose with a bombsight.

You are correct in saying that they did test many more versions, including using very large guns for tank killing. However, I don't think any of those wound up on production versions. 

They'd be pretty cool to have (even if just in prototype form)... it is one of those things you just want to try even if it isn't accurate to field deployments!