Sign in to follow this  
Champagne

Where is the Game Manual/Instructions?

I just bought Flying Circus this very evening and I am completely new to all Sturmovik games. I've downloaded and installed the game, but, I need to find the Game Manual/Instructions. I can't find them anywhere in the game files. Thanks.

11 hours ago, JimTM said:

You can find the IL-2 User Manual here.

Which as I understand it is an independent URL nothing to do with the company. Last time I looked, the 'official' link was broken, hence the reason someone elected to host the manual themselves. That is typical of their demonstrated attitude to documentation, without which no software can be regarded as complete. Should you choose to regard that as scandalously inexcusable, rest assured you won't be alone.

Edited by Cynic_Al

53 minutes ago, Cynic_Al said:

Which as I understand it is an independent URL nothing to do with the company. Last time I looked, the 'official' link was broken, hence the reason someone elected to host the manual themselves. That is typical of their demonstrated attitude to documentation, without which no software can be regarded as complete. Should you choose to regard that as scandalously inexcusable, rest assured you won't be alone.

If you hate the game and the developers so much, why don't you just find something else more to your liking?

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, SeaSerpent said:

If you hate the game and the developers so much, why don't you just find something else more to your liking?

Says he who spends his time spamming the RoF forum.

• Upvote 1

Riding the coattails of someone like Cynic Al, or others, as they continously finds fault and flaw in the game, and complains about how "scandalously" inadequate the development team is, doesn't seem like the most enlightened strategy that one could take on this forum, or any other.  But that's what you do.  I don't know why you think it works out for you, because it clearly doesn't.

Edited by SeaSerpent
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SeaSerpent said:

Riding the coattails of someone like Cynic Al, or others, as they continously finds fault and flaw in the game, and complains about how "scandalously" inadequate the development team is, doesn't seem like the most enlightened strategy that one could take on this forum, or any other.

So what do you think is an enlightened strategy? When a company chooses to publish a product, it should be fully-baked in all aspects. In the case of software that includes comprehensive documentation, regardless of the inability of some of its users to assimilate it. If the aforementioned does not occur, it is perfectly right to assert that it should, instead of invoking the grovelling, excuse culture that one finds here.

41 minutes ago, Cynic_Al said:

So what do you think is an enlightened strategy? When a company chooses to publish a product, it should be fully-baked in all aspects. In the case of software that includes comprehensive documentation, regardless of the inability of some of its users to assimilate it. If the aforementioned does not occur, it is perfectly right to assert that it should, instead of invoking the grovelling, excuse culture that one finds here.

We aren't having a "discussion" because I really don't care what your philosophy of proper software development is.  The OP got his manual, and is happy.  I don't think anyone really cares about the rest, or what your pet peaves are, or the low regard you have for the developers, or whatever else it is you're going on about.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, SeaSerpent said:

We aren't having a "discussion" because I really don't care what your philosophy of proper software development is.  The OP got his manual, and is happy.  I don't think anyone really cares about the rest, or what your pet peaves are, or the low regard you have for the developers, or whatever else it is you're going on about.

You're right, SeaSerpent, the OP got his manual and is happy. But, honestly, shouldn't the producer provide a correct / working link for the official documentation? Should this

not be one of their job to publish a more actual documentation for their product?

Because, I'm one of those old men who grew up with books from the library or book shops. And I remember very well those times where you bought a boxed simulation software

with those marvelous handbooks - the heavier the better.

Now, I know times are changing and with the internet we don't really need boxed software anymore. But we could still count on electronic handbooks, couldn't we? But alas, no

wonder people nowadays don't care about documentation anymore, in times where even chief of some states choose to communicate via twitter to rule the world...

Gentlemen, I wish you a nice weekend and all the best.

Cheerio

Just now, -IRRE-Therion said:

You're right, SeaSerpent, the OP got his manual and is happy. But, honestly, shouldn't the producer provide a correct / working link for the official documentation? Should this

not be one of their job to publish a more actual documentation for their product?

Because, I'm one of those old men who grew up with books from the library or book shops. And I remember very well those times where you bought a boxed simulation software

with those marvelous handbooks - the heavier the better.

Now, I know times are changing and with the internet we don't really need boxed software anymore. But we could still count on electronic handbooks, couldn't we? But alas, no

wonder people nowadays don't care about documentation anymore, in times where even chief of some states choose to communicate via twitter to rule the world...

Gentlemen, I wish you a nice weekend and all the best.

Cheerio

Sure... if they have a bad link, they should fix it.  I just don't think a broken link or whatever the kinds of things Cynic likes to rant on about ever amount to some kind of catastrophe, or scandal, that's all!

1 hour ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Arty, did you preorder FC?

Certainly not, since pre-ordering wasn't available. Funny question.

1 minute ago, Cynic_Al said:

Certainly not, since pre-ordering wasn't available. Funny question.

Oh, pardon him, your Highness.  Poor BSR meant to say Early Access.  How low-class and common of him to accidentally say Pre-Order, when the correct term is Early Access. 

Man, you are a piece of work, Cynic_Al.

Wow - is this derailing into some toxic swamp or did I miss something? I thought it was about documentation or missing

documentation...

1 hour ago, SeaSerpent said:

Poor BSR meant to say Early Access.  How low-class and common of him to accidentally say Pre-Order, when the correct term is Early Access. 

Man, you are a piece of work, Cynic_Al.

I appreciate the compliment, but it's bad form to answer on behalf of others.

1 hour ago, -IRRE-Therion said:

Wow - is this derailing into some toxic swamp or did I miss something? I thought it was about documentation or missing

documentation...

Well, the topic was going great until Al decided to go on a rant for some unknown reason, and then you decided to make a veiled comment about the current President of the United States. Otherwise, it's been a really great and productive topic.

13 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Well, the topic was going great until Al decided to go on a rant for some unknown reason

A comment relating to the exact topic of the thread, more specifically the underlying reason that gave rise to it. Was it really beyond you to make the connection?

5 minutes ago, Cynic_Al said:

more specifically the underlying reason that gave rise to it. 

I think we can take it that Arty has had to ban his mum from his RoF server again:(

34 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

No one asked for the underlying reason for anything.

It must be incumbent upon the community to raise pertinent issues as they arise, that being the role of a forum such as this, regardless of whether you choose to use it in such a way.

37 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

I think we can take it that Arty has had to ban his mum from his RoF server again:(

In a different place I would like to reply along similar lines to such defamation, but like you I cannot know the condition of the third party that it would implicate, and unlike you I like to get my facts right.

33 minutes ago, SeaSerpent said:

Did she kick him out of the basement again, and tell him to get a job?

Instead of resorting to slanderous personal attacks, it would be far more tactful to convey the same meaning thus: 'I've run out of reasoned arguments.'

28 minutes ago, Cynic_Al said:

It must be incumbent upon the community to raise pertinent issues as they arise

No, it really isn't.  

5 hours ago, Cynic_Al said:

It must be incumbent upon the community to raise pertinent issues as they arise, that being the role of a forum such as this, regardless of whether you choose to use it in such a way.

Oh please, spare us already. The OP asked where the manual could be found, and someone pointed said person in the right direction, for which the OP was grateful. In a normal and sane world, that would have been the end of it. It was you that decided to run the thread off the rails and go off on a rant about broken links, and so...here we are. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Oh please, spare us already. The OP asked where the manual could be found, and someone pointed said person in the right direction, for which the OP was grateful. In a normal and sane world, that would have been the end of it. It was you that decided to run the thread off the rails and go off on a rant about broken links, and so...here we are. :rolleyes:

My opinion is at variance with yours.

6 hours ago, Tycoon said:

Cynical there is only one George Clooney. 

I'm afraid you've gone right over my head there, but don't feel obliged to explain.

7 hours ago, BraveSirRobin said:

No, it really isn't.  

QUESTION: Does anyone else agree with the above assertion? If a significant majority does, I suggest that the forum's purpose be clarified or revised.

I think of it as a over arching statement that the company trusts the community to create such manuals. That their quality is so high that making a manual of their own is not only a waste of resources but slightly less comprehensive.  This community is much different than other gaming communities,  we are niche and wear that as a badge of honor.  The products coming out of our community are labors of love.   Not mandated obligatory documents meant only to check a box.  So in other words.  Put a sock in it AI.

Hooves

• Upvote 3

Whilst I don't disagree with anything Hooves said above, basic documentation should still be provided.

It's great that new content is getting pumped out, but there's a few in the community who'd like to see some existing issues fixed / things added, sooner rather than later.

Lack of shooting %, flexible icon options, documentation, and any bugs I've seen mentioned (I'm a Great Battles noob so can't elaborate on them just yet).

2 hours ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

Whilst I don't disagree with anything Hooves said above, basic documentation should still be provided.

It's great that new content is getting pumped out, but there's a few in the community who'd like to see some existing issues fixed / things added, sooner rather than later.

Lack of shooting %, flexible icon options, documentation, and any bugs I've seen mentioned (I'm a Great Battles noob so can't elaborate on them just yet).

What's the problem here? There IS a manual.  Let me say it again, There. Is. A. Manual.  Click on the link above.  The manual was written by LukeFF and edited by Jason Williams.  Normal people, say "oh, where is the manual?  Let me get on the forum, and find it, or ask about it.  Oh, there it is, thanks."  Sorry, but this completely manufactured "Customer Outrage" crap that some of you people create over nothings and non-issues is nothing more than trolling.

Edited by SeaSerpent
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

Every plane in the game comes with an extensive list of pilot's notes that can be accessed with the press of a button. 

6 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Every plane in the game comes with an extensive list of pilot's notes that can be accessed with the press of a button. 

And what button is that?

Wait a minute, if the "manual" was part of the game files  I would know what button.

18 minutes ago, HiIIBiIIy said:

And what button is that?

Wait a minute, if the "manual" was part of the game files  I would know what button.

The manual is downloadable from the link provided above, and elsewhere.  If you are looking for aircraft specific operating instructions, on the map screen, you open up a tab on the right hand side of the screen that says "Specifications".   As you know, in this day in age, most software is designed and delivered and documented with the assumption that the majority of users are comfortable with standard tab and menu based GUI's, because the majority are.  Il-2 is no exception to this paradigm.   If people have questions, they can ask a question in the forum.

Edited by SeaSerpent
  • Upvote 1

The facts are that the OP wasn't able to find the manual.

The first reply was someone else who couldn't find the manual.

I've had a quick butchers, and aside from the link provided by Jim above.. couldn't find the manual.

That's poor form whichever way you want to look at it.

It should be linked either in it's own right at the top of the main page, or at least under the 'support' heading.

How hard would that be to do ?

1 hour ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

The facts are that the OP wasn't able to find the manual.

The first reply was someone else who couldn't find the manual.

I've had a quick butchers, and aside from the link provided by Jim above.. couldn't find the manual.

That's poor form whichever way you want to look at it.

It should be linked either in it's own right at the top of the main page, or at least under the 'support' heading.

How hard would that be to do ?

Not hard at all, but it is a secret and requires the secret hand shake to access.😁   

• Haha 1

Not really, someone said, "where," and someone else said, "here." While I agree some of this should be stickied somewhere it was pretty straight forward and the community may have grown a touch stronger as a result of the interaction.

Well, except for Al. Al is an attention w#ore who doesn't acknowledge any information he didn't create and bias confirm for himself. May also lack a humor filter but that is still under investigation.

• Upvote 2

I thought about coming back to IL2 but I see the same old childish bickering is still going on. Back to DCS and BMS. Have fun kids.

2 minutes ago, BuzzU said:

Back to DCS and BMS

...where the grass is so much greener.

The message you tried to get across was... ?

IL-2 Great Battles is a cool game with a lot of potential.

The community in parts is great, in (admittedly larger) parts frightening one-dimensional.

Just like any other :popcorm:

:drinks:

Mike

6 minutes ago, BuzzU said:

I thought about coming back to IL2 but I see the same old childish bickering is still going on. Back to DCS and BMS. Have fun kids.

I suspect we dodged a bullet here...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAS_Storebror said:

...where the grass is so much greener.

The message you tried to get across was... ?

IL-2 Great Battles is a cool game with a lot of potential.

The community in parts is great, in (admittedly larger) parts frightening one-dimensional.

Just like any other :popcorm:

:drinks:

Mike

You seem to have adjusted to this being normal, so you won't get my message. On the two sims, I mentioned this thread would have been edited by the mods before it got going. Yes, IL2 is a good sim. I played the original every day for years and enjoyed it. I must have had 10,000 posts on those forums. I've been in enough arguments too, but after a while it gets old. I'd rather not deal with it anymore. My negative post didn't help, so I guess i'm no better. Maybe that's why I pick sims that negative posts are edited right away. It's more peaceful.